Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Get the Circle of 8 modpack and the Temple+ addon and you're good to go for a modern experience.

*as modern as DnD3.0 can get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I'm having too much fun with BGEE on the PC. Almost talked myself into picking up the Switch version right after wrapping up a session with the game on the PC. Will pick it up if it goes on sale in the next month, I think.

The new console UI looks kind of cool, actually. Anyone here use it?

Of course, all this would be moot if Valve would just ship the Deck already. Being able to play it fully modded on a portable console with touchpads to simulate mouse movement would be perfect. Touchpads for mouse and buttons for keys would be a good UI too, though it'd be cool if Beamdog would allow using the console UI on PC too.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

If the console UI is anything like Pillars of Eternity or Planescape it's all radial based which works pretty well considering we have precious few buttons on a standard xbox/playstation controller and even fewer on a switch!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mr. Prokosch posted:

"You should pick toughness at level 1!"

- three generations of lying developers.

If you pick auto-level for the companions in Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous literally every character takes toughness and some take "mythic toughness"

Not as bad as the cleric taking armor proficiency though, or the caster taking melee attack feats.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The Shame Boy posted:

If the console UI is anything like Pillars of Eternity or Planescape it's all radial based which works pretty well considering we have precious few buttons on a standard xbox/playstation controller and even fewer on a switch!

Yeah, the left taskbar moves onto a radial menu. But they seem to have done a proximity based trigger system for chests/traps/world transitions, etc. And there're two control modes for the team. One where everyone follows the leader jrpg style and another for combat using a mouse like pointer.

Can see some of it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKbJXD4ilhU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Basic Chunnel posted:

I know I've seen them around but if they're standard file format you can probably just spend an afternoon running them through Audacity with keyboard shortcuts.

You'll want to look around for an old version of Audacity, though. The newer ones are forked by some for-profit scammers

Hey Audacity worked out great. Thanks!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I've been thinking of how to make Shar-Teel useful in BGEE. She starts with two pips in two-weapon fighting, one pip in longsword, and one pip in dagger. idk she seems awful

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

I've been thinking of how to make Shar-Teel useful in BGEE. She starts with two pips in two-weapon fighting, one pip in longsword, and one pip in dagger. idk she seems awful

lower the difficulty?

I'm pretty sure most of the NPCs in BG1 are pretty weirdly built if you get them at too high a level. The HP count specifically is really low, lower then it reasonably should be. I'd honestly use Shadowkeeper or whatever to reset them to 1 if you really want to use the sub-optimal ones.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

If it's important you don't gently caress up learning a spell just drink a potion of genius beforehand ffs. The solution to the "problem" is already in the game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

pentyne posted:

If you pick auto-level for the companions in Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous literally every character takes toughness and some take "mythic toughness"

Not as bad as the cleric taking armor proficiency though, or the caster taking melee attack feats.

To be fair, Toughness is greatly improved in Pathfinder and is a not bad pick on all characters. Like you want to take stuff that’s specifically better for your build first but it’s not a waste of a feat like it is in 3e.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I was asking the wrong question earlier: Branwen or Yeslick? The right answer seems to have been to replace Kagain with Yeslick. Yeslick with Bracers of Dex and DuHM is loving great - and that's before I get this Big-Fisted Belt thing to max his damage.

Branwen made way for Jaheira, wanted to use the IWD Druid spells. So now the frontline is F/I, F/C, F/D, all boosted with whatever combat protections they have at hand. Fun times, though I do miss the dour Kagain.

Speaking of IWD Druid spells. Having Jaheira cast Mold Touch is a dangerous affair, it managed to infect Yeslick. Seems like a tough spell to control friendly fire from.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

If it's important you don't gently caress up learning a spell just drink a potion of genius beforehand ffs. The solution to the "problem" is already in the game.

95/97 is not 100%

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

In Pathfinder like 3e you really need to plan out your character the whole way and then follow the plan with each level. The weird thing about all those choices is most are just flat worse than others, so you have remarkably few real choices instead of "make the correct choice or make a mistake" choices.
I ran a Pathfinder game maybe 10 years ago and one of the major changes I made was getting rid of all ability score requirements on feats (unless the feat derived a bonus from an ability score, in which case 12 was required) and making dependent feat chains no more than 2 feats long (and no feat could require more than one other feat as a prereq). Everyone had more flexibility in building characters and the power ceiling was not meaningfully elevated. It did really lay bare how mechanically unappealing a lot of those (in RAW) prereq feats were, though.

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
IIRC the intelligence potions stack so you could use two potions of genius at a time, or genius + mind focusing, if you truly need the 100%.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

v1ld posted:

I'm having too much fun with BGEE on the PC. Almost talked myself into picking up the Switch version right after wrapping up a session with the game on the PC. Will pick it up if it goes on sale in the next month, I think.

The new console UI looks kind of cool, actually. Anyone here use it?

Of course, all this would be moot if Valve would just ship the Deck already. Being able to play it fully modded on a portable console with touchpads to simulate mouse movement would be perfect. Touchpads for mouse and buttons for keys would be a good UI too, though it'd be cool if Beamdog would allow using the console UI on PC too.

As I mentioned above I’ve played through BG 1 and DS on the switch and think the UI works fine. It can be a bit fiddly when there are many things you can interact with but I didn’t feel like it bothered me that much.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
For evil clerics, you can also feed Xzar a tome of understanding (there's one in the aboveground part of Durlag's Tower) and have a cleric who can use mage wands and scrolls. Plus Xzar is cool.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

For evil clerics, you can also feed Xzar a tome of understanding (there's one in the aboveground part of Durlag's Tower) and have a cleric who can use mage wands and scrolls. Plus Xzar is cool.

Xzar is a mage though?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
He's one point of wisdom shy of being able to dual-class.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

He's one point of wisdom shy of being able to dual-class.

This is true but dualing out of Mage feels weird. I guess having a Cleric who can use wands, low level mage spells and cast from scrolls is kind of neat though, even if you would have to keep him out of armour to do the second two things.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I've never liked the difficulty levels in BG. Keep them for things like the overall damage percentages, but I think that things like 'Max HP at level up' and 'Spell Scribe Failure' should be tick boxes.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Max HP at level up is a tick box in EE.

This is something PF:K does very well - gives you full control over difficulty via individual settings separate from the difficulty slider.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sebzilla posted:

This is true but dualing out of Mage feels weird. I guess having a Cleric who can use wands, low level mage spells and cast from scrolls is kind of neat though, even if you would have to keep him out of armour to do the second two things.

The example in the 2nd Ed players handbook has something like this. Someone dueling from a level 3 cleric to a fighter. Dual classing from the pnp version sounded like a huge loving mess and in the game is really only useful for specific combinations (outside of gimmicks).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

pentyne posted:

The example in the 2nd Ed players handbook has something like this. Someone dueling from a level 3 cleric to a fighter. Dual classing from the pnp version sounded like a huge loving mess and in the game is really only useful for specific combinations (outside of gimmicks).

It was invented ad hoc by Ed Greenwood when something happened to a player where they couldn't effectively play as they're own class IIRC.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Skwirl posted:

It was invented ad hoc by Ed Greenwood when something happened to a player where they couldn't effectively play as they're own class IIRC.

Dual classing is in the 1e PHB, so it predates Ed. (Maybe you're thinking of a different prominent D&D designer, Gygax or Kuntz or something.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Arivia posted:

Dual classing is in the 1e PHB, so it predates Ed. (Maybe you're thinking of a different prominent D&D designer, Gygax or Kuntz or something.)

Maybe? It might also just be an entirely apocryphal story.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm about to do a BG:EE Legacy of Bhaal run what are the hottest tips?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Watch out for the Tarrasque in the oasis.

E. Lmao this isnt even a relevant joke, what a misleading name for a difficulty

zedprime fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 23, 2021

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Haven’t done it but I’m told that it changes stuff in a way that simply makes summoner-casters more critical

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I'm about to do a BG:EE Legacy of Bhaal run what are the hottest tips?

If your character is an arcane spellcaster: the monster HP increase makes Sleep completely useless but also applies to your familiar and thus halfway to you after it's summoned.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Skwirl posted:

Maybe? It might also just be an entirely apocryphal story.

I've definitely heard it before. Mage lost his spell book mid adventure and asked if he could just start as a lvl 1 fighter or something. DM said "yes, but..." and a stupid mechanic was born.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yes but you can’t cast magic until you reach level 4 fighter at which point I will begrudgingly return your spellbook to you

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Still wondering what infravision is supposed to do

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jay Rust posted:

Still wondering what infravision is supposed to do

it makes things more visible when you're in darkness outside. however, there's an on-by-default option called group infravision that applies it to your view as long as you have at least one character with infravision selected, and everyone's parties usually have at least one elf, so it's really vanishingly unlikely that you'll notice having it/not having it ever.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Gygax invented dual classing on the spot when his son permanently lost his spell book in an elemental plane or another. Gygax also said that if you use house rules, you're not REALLY playing D&D.

In P&P infravision is crucial... and it's completely useless in BG.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The moment a “house rule” is in a printed and licensed ADnD product, it’s no longer a house rule.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
2e and 3e were still well within the shadow of 60s-70s wargaming. TSR and Wizards had a vested interest in maintaining The D&D with house rules qualifying it as something else (and implicated as lesser) because of the convention and RPGA scene where you can buy into the official experience and have refs when the DM introduces the Whizzard and his piss forest.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
1e is some of the worst technical writing I've ever seen. basically, players had to be apprenticed into the game in those days, and holy poo poo did everybody do things differently.

one of the really interesting things I've seen develop is... professionalization? of a lot of the stuff involved in games. everything was a loving jumble back in the day. even 2e sucks if you're just trying to jump in and play.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Suspicious posted:

Gygax invented dual classing on the spot when his son permanently lost his spell book in an elemental plane or another. Gygax also said that if you use house rules, you're not REALLY playing D&D.

In P&P infravision is crucial... and it's completely useless in BG.

If you have a better way to make enemies look kinda red I'd like to hear it :colbert:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Empty Sandwich posted:

1e is some of the worst technical writing I've ever seen. basically, players had to be apprenticed into the game in those days, and holy poo poo did everybody do things differently.

one of the really interesting things I've seen develop is... professionalization? of a lot of the stuff involved in games. everything was a loving jumble back in the day. even 2e sucks if you're just trying to jump in and play.

Empty Sandwich posted:

It’s likely because I grew up playing it in the late 80s and into the 90s, but I always enjoyed 2nd Edition. I still do. I can see how goofy and unintuitive it must be from the outside, but I started playing when I was 9 years old and it made sense to me, because it’s all I knew.

So I’ve always enjoyed the rule systems in the Baldur’s Gate games. My first exposure to 3rd edition was when Neverwinter Nights came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I always like speed modifiers from different weapon types and spell cast times, rerolling at the end of every round was kind of annoying but it made your choice of weapon mean a lot more than just a damage dice and getting your proficiency bonus.Rogues dual wielding daggers are always characterized as the "super fast" damage dealer but in more modern editions that doesn't really mean a whole lot outside of Rogue pumping their Dex to do more damage meaning they are also pumping their initiative bonus as well which means more than likely will always go first anyway.

Sneak Attack being much simpler is the inverse of that though.

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Nov 24, 2021