Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
A friend of mines parents just moved to Pagosa. Depending how it looks I could be interested in coming down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Man I fuckin love wolf. Any update on their matchless pod expansion? Cuz that is gonna be fully loving sick when it finally opens for lift access, if it's still planned.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Maaaan I'm gonna be working in Austin that weekend or I'd also drive down.

Aspen zone also sparse. I think stuff up really high like at 12.5 or 13 might be decent, but that would also require tons of hiking.

Was thinking a Thanksgiving ish tour in Summit along the divide might be the way to go.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Eejit posted:

Was thinking a Thanksgiving ish tour in Summit along the divide might be the way to go.

It's been balmy here, sad start to the season so far.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

A friend of mines parents just moved to Pagosa. Depending how it looks I could be interested in coming down.

Word. we will see how it plays out. We are going either way.

Eejit posted:

GFs parents are here 23rd to 1st, not sure our exact plans.

Moey posted:

It's been balmy here, sad start to the season so far.

Hasn't really been worth going out besides the "hey I went skiing" run. I saw butler and coon looking ok. worst case we get the dog out this weekend.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ImplicitAssembler posted:

- Busted knee : check
:(

Wont get to see my physio until Wednesday, but I really hope it's not serious.

A minor meniscus tear. Physio is not worried (He's a snow hound too). Since the meniscus wont heal, it's mostly just letting the joint getting over the irritation and then a bit of conditioning.
Big relief.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

CEO of Telski having a normal one.

This apparently went out to every employee.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Also please feel free to air your grievances to chuck@telski.com

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I could see it as the foreword letter in the new employee manual, but it seems like it might have been a bit much to email it out.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

My wife is stuck in Reno due to a work trip the first weekend of December and is thinking she'll pop out for some skiing Saturday/Sunday. We've never skied the area at all, are any of the resorts a particularly good/bad choice in terms of snow coverage or lineups at that time of year? She's an expert skier, but really really loves to go fast on groomers if that makes a difference. We do get 50% off at Mammoth as well, is it worth the 3 hour drive?

Update on this: not looking terribly good at the moment. Everyone's pushed back their opening dates (Palisades is currently saying tentatively "early December"), and we keep getting inversions and some moisture, but not enough and not cold enough. A big change is not looking likely in the next two weeks.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Palisades is not open? I thought they opened with that early storm, did they re-close?

Mammoth is still running though of course conditions are thin. Check out this guy for a peek at Mammoth conditions: https://instagram.com/bernierosow?utm_medium=copy_link

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Palisades is not open? I thought they opened with that early storm, did they re-close?

Mammoth is still running though of course conditions are thin. Check out this guy for a peek at Mammoth conditions: https://instagram.com/bernierosow?utm_medium=copy_link

Yeah they were planning to be open weekends until the full opening after that first opening. But stuff melted out fast due to inversions/rain and they didn't reopen the next weekend or since. Scheduled full opening date has been pushed back.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Currently sitting at Snowvana in Portland drinking a seriously overpriced 10 Barrel beer where I just watched someone walk past with a hoodie that says “Keep Calm and Trust the Ski Instructor” and I’ve never been more distrusting of a person.

Edit: a patroller selling sno-park permits just walked up to me while I was sitting here. He chatted me up a bit then moved into “you got your beacon right? Turn it on when you leave your car, turn it off when you return.” Which I guess is a good way to make sure they find your corpse.

highme fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 20, 2021

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Steve French posted:

Update on this: not looking terribly good at the moment. Everyone's pushed back their opening dates (Palisades is currently saying tentatively "early December"), and we keep getting inversions and some moisture, but not enough and not cold enough. A big change is not looking likely in the next two weeks.

Well that is definitely a bummer, but we'll hold out hope for now!

Just got back from our first touring day of the season and I got to try out the hardboot splitboard setup. Unreal, and totally worth the money to me. Going up is nicer, the weight underfoot is lower and the extra articulation of the boot is really noticeable. Link lever makes it ride really similar to a softboot going down, did a couple laps at the resort just to tweak things. I went with full phantom bindings + link lever and a pair of atomic backland experts which feel like cozy slippers right out of the box. Super happy with the switch and I think it'll make longer tours this year much more enjoyable.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

highme posted:

Edit: a patroller selling sno-park permits just walked up to me while I was sitting here. He chatted me up a bit then moved into “you got your beacon right? Turn it on when you leave your car, turn it off when you return.” Which I guess is a good way to make sure they find your corpse.

I do this every day, even when I am just resort skiing. If there's a lot of snow building up on the ridges I'll keep it on during the downhill drive until I exit the canyon as cars definitely get swept off the road and buried.

But yeah I often ski alone inbounds so it's definitely just a 'make sure my family gets my corpse' insurance. 😎👍

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

spwrozek posted:

I am debating a tour this weekend. might die of coreshots... we will see.

Supposed to go to wolf creek on Dec 17th... looks bad right now. (granted it is our yearly board meeting for my GFs business....)

Sounds like a perfect time for a board meeting of 2 to go somewhere on a tax-deductable business trip that's conveniently at a ski hill. :science:

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Toured twice this weekend, found a few rocks, a few totally bare spots, and also some delicious powder turns. Jones yesterday and berthoud today. Jones was fully wind hammered, serious wind crust above tree line. Fine but not great near and below. Berthoud must’ve got at least 5” last night: just skied the E side obvious lines and hells half acre, pretty good as long as you weren’t finding sharks.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Ended up buying a CARV and tried it out at A-basin today. Day 1 and I really like it so far. It's really nice to get a rating/feedback over how you did on a run and then work on what it suggests the next time. I'll be curious to see how well it works over the season.

We really need to get more snow. Hopefully this storm on Wednesday opens up some more terrain.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Anachronist posted:

Toured twice this weekend, found a few rocks, a few totally bare spots, and also some delicious powder turns. Jones yesterday and berthoud today. Jones was fully wind hammered, serious wind crust above tree line. Fine but not great near and below. Berthoud must’ve got at least 5” last night: just skied the E side obvious lines and hells half acre, pretty good as long as you weren’t finding sharks.

We were going to do something in Summit this weekend and decided it was better to just go for a hike both days. Summit got ~1" vs the 5" over by berthoud on saturday night. I figure there is a lot of season left for now.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Yeah it was fun but I’m okay skipping a weekend or two to let it pile up a little more out there. Especially with the weather in town being so nice.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

well, I have new skis, for as long as God decides to continue to give us snow up here.

I drove by MRG over the weekend and at least the trails and woods look white so that's something. I'll take whatever I can get, just hope we get 10-12 okay weeks for kiddo's ski clinic.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The ski racer in me physically recoiled at that photo.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

So the used skis I got for backcountry came with telemark bindings. The guy selling them was real excited about them and said "if you switch them out, hang on to them or sell them, those are sweet bindings." He told me they are called 22Design Hammerheads.

I am a newb and got some salomon shifts and do not intend to learn to tele-ski so I'm gonna sell them. Based on sold listings, I should be able to make back what I bought the skis for. Free skis!

The only actual markings on them is a 22Designs logo, but googling Hammerhead I see no reason not to believe him on that.

However all the ones sold on ebay list their size (all of them seem to be "large 75mm") and I can't find any indication of the size anywhere. Does anyone know where I measure that size?

ALSO if anyone itt is interested before I put them on ebay, PM me :)

e: Did some more reading online and I guess 75mm actually refers to a standardized mounting type (vs pin style), and the hammerhead does not seem to come in the other styles, so I guess 75mm it is.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 22, 2021

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Came across a video of how to make the original Telemark skis. Subtitles aren't spot on, but you'll get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbPVqUbcjDY

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Hookshot is reaching for the Holy Water as we speak.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

HookShot posted:

The ski racer in me physically recoiled at that photo.

I've never been a racer, but... why?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I've never been a racer, but... why?

Base touching rock. Micro scratches slowing you down. Never matters for the common skier but those hundreds of seconds matter in racing.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

alnilam posted:

So the used skis I got for backcountry came with telemark bindings. The guy selling them was real excited about them and said "if you switch them out, hang on to them or sell them, those are sweet bindings." He told me they are called 22Design Hammerheads.

I am a newb and got some salomon shifts and do not intend to learn to tele-ski so I'm gonna sell them. Based on sold listings, I should be able to make back what I bought the skis for. Free skis!

The only actual markings on them is a 22Designs logo, but googling Hammerhead I see no reason not to believe him on that.

However all the ones sold on ebay list their size (all of them seem to be "large 75mm") and I can't find any indication of the size anywhere. Does anyone know where I measure that size?

ALSO if anyone itt is interested before I put them on ebay, PM me :)

e: Did some more reading online and I guess 75mm actually refers to a standardized mounting type (vs pin style), and the hammerhead does not seem to come in the other styles, so I guess 75mm it is.
Yeah those are Hammerheads, a popular and classic telemark binding for many years. I think people liked the predictable and linear nature of the spring rate, and ability to change it to personal preference (I think you can swap the springs out or adjust pre-tension maybe?). Telemarking has definitely fallen out of favor with the rise of lighter and more reliable A/T gear, but there will always be a dedicated following who like the aesthetics.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

spwrozek posted:

Base touching rock. Micro scratches slowing you down. Never matters for the common skier but those hundreds of seconds matter in racing.

oh, gotcha. Ha, I did actually think about that, and I rested it very carefully, but realistically one day at MRG even in good conditions, I am gonna mark up the backs of these pretty good.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

bawfuls posted:

Yeah those are Hammerheads, a popular and classic telemark binding for many years. I think people liked the predictable and linear nature of the spring rate, and ability to change it to personal preference (I think you can swap the springs out or adjust pre-tension maybe?). Telemarking has definitely fallen out of favor with the rise of lighter and more reliable A/T gear, but there will always be a dedicated following who like the aesthetics.

Ditto this, those are dope and the absolute standard by which all telemark bindings are measured for downhill performance. They're awful for backcountry relative to modern gear since there's no real tour mode, but they're as bombproof as they come and pretty much the pinnacle of 75mm inbounds binding design. They're especially sought after by the 75mm old guard because they were discontinued years ago.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

spwrozek posted:

Thought this was a hookshot reply at first so I was gonna let it slide, but I’m going to expect engineers to know the difference between hundreds and hundredths of seconds :henget:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

highme posted:

Thought this was a hookshot reply at first so I was gonna let it slide, but I’m going to expect engineers to know the difference between hundreds and hundredths of seconds :henget:

I saw my phone correct it (incorrectly) and I was like....eh. haha. Yes though, I was quite incorrect.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Well, hundreds of seconds also matter a lot too.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Hey snowgoons, what’s your opinion on Phantom base treatment? I’m an older resort only boarder but been doing it for decades, replaced my daily board last year with a new Rossy Templar and upgraded my boots and bindings this year. Keeping my old setup as a rock board and have a separate powder wide setup but will be doing probably 15+ days at Whistler this year, a few local trips and potentially a trip to Japan Sahoro in Feb Covid willing. All that had me thinking that a one time base treatment and never thinking about it again is compelling but I don’t know anyone who has first hand experience. Tia.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I use phantom on all my skis. I imagine it would work equally well on snowboards. I have been really happy with it. It isn't as quick or slick as the first day of a new hot wax, but it is consistent. I would say it is like always 80% of a fresh wax. If you have a race or day where you want to go fast as possible you can still wax it as well.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I use phantom on all my skis. I imagine it would work equally well on snowboards. I have been really happy with it. It isn't as quick or slick as the first day of a new hot wax, but it is consistent. I would say it is like always 80% of a fresh wax. If you have a race or day where you want to go fast as possible you can still wax it as well.

Yeah I don’t need race day fast, did you apply the phantom yourself? I’m tempted to get the shop to do it but everything I read is DIY and I’ve done years of my own waxing in the past. It seems too good to be true lol.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
As someone who despises scraping wax (no garage, so I hate the mess), I have also been very interested.

How long does it last/hold up?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Moey posted:

As someone who despises scraping wax (no garage, so I hate the mess), I have also been very interested.

How long does it last/hold up?

Forevertm*

*or not.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

squirrelzipper posted:

Yeah I don’t need race day fast, did you apply the phantom yourself? I’m tempted to get the shop to do it but everything I read is DIY and I’ve done years of my own waxing in the past. It seems too good to be true lol.

I helped a buddy do Gen 1 and then watched a shop do gen 2 when I was in randomly. Probably worth every penny to have the shop do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

squirrelzipper posted:

It requires a certain amount of UV light to cure correctly. You can DIY but they would need to be outside and whatnot, and with short days and possible weather you might not get a complete cure. I would advise having a shop do it. Evo does a basic tune and K-2 application for 200. I think the base cost is 100, so the application is slightly expensive.

As to how long it holds up I have skis from 3 seasons(About 40 ski days on them due to weird half seasons and whatnot) ago with it and they seem to be holding up just fine.