Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Chilean general election tomorrow!!! Gonna drink myself half to death maybe :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SexyBlindfold posted:

Chilean general election tomorrow!!! Gonna drink myself half to death maybe :toot:

the surprise fascist takeover will take care of the other half :haw:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Polls for chileans living abroad beginning to report with huge leads for El Boris in most countries, but that's pretty much expected. Not sure if I mentioned this ages ago during the constitutional referendum, but unlike other LatAm countries, the chilean expat community is largely comprised of upper middle class college educated students and young professionals, a demographic that leans left (and Frente Amplio in particular). Also, while they're no longer a majority of the diaspora, Pinochet-era political exiles and their families (who also lean left) exert significant cultural influence in the rest of the community.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

The actual reality is that the coup was originally scheduled for September 14, but Allende had just decided that he was going to announce a plebiscite on whether he should finish his own term, and the right was both unsure they'd win it, and, if they did, whether they'd have enough support to undo some of the stuff Allende had done. Allende was going to announce the plebiscite on the afternoon of September 11, so the coup happened in the morning.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
gently caress me. I can't believe after everything that has happened, fascism is such a strong player in this loving dumbass country.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
number bad lol

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Taniel/status/1462559235183722496?s=20
https://twitter.com/davidluhnow/status/1462548924258914312?s=20

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Is that good?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
While a Kast/Boric runoff was by far the most likely outcome by now (though there was a faint belief that after Kast's disastrous last debate performance Sichel could outdo him) Kast is doing far better than expected, and will likely get the first majority, which is important for momentum. It's not entirely set in stone yet, since there's still a lot of votes pending from the capital and larger cities where Boric could be stronger, but electoral results tend to be fairly homogeneous in Chile, so any surprises are unlikely. The biggest surprise is Parisi's strong performance, since he's a die-hard grifter who couldn't even set foot in the country during the campaign trail due to pending alimony payments. Parliamentary results aren't looking super bad so far, though - the right grows but is still a minority, and Kast's list didn't seem to steal much thunder from the mainstream right, either. But Boric's gonna have to mend bridges with the center left now, no two ways about it, and it's gonna be a difficult balancing act.

TLDR guess I'm gonna donate to tree guy's campaign first thing tomorrow

SexyBlindfold has issued a correction as of 00:33 on Nov 22, 2021

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

lol chile's "centrist legacy"

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

lol chile's "centrist legacy"

Central like the football stadium.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
It's just dawned on me that Parisi will get to play kingmaker. He's the one wildcard for the runoff. I'm about to turn into the joker.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

SexyBlindfold posted:

It's just dawned on me that Parisi will get to play kingmaker. He's the one wildcard for the runoff. I'm about to turn into the joker.

Parisi voters are overwelmingly right voters, no matter how much he wants to claim that his movement is neither left or right. Dude is absolutely a libertarian.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/jwbartlett92/status/1462585300606066695?s=20

Reminds me that Bukele held a party this weekend too
https://twitter.com/skinosian/status/1462270313094336514?s=20
https://twitter.com/petermiyoung/status/1462272532602576899?s=20

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
https://twitter.com/KawsachunNews/status/1462642678433263618

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
how likely is Kast to win?

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011

Torpor posted:

how likely is Kast to win?

I would say due to the vote share, if turnout remains low and the share of right wing candidates goes to Kast and left wing to Boric, Kast probably wins. Boric could win it if he somehow manages to drive more turnout in 30 days.

Statistically, the winner of the first round always wins the second round, which would be Kast. However, inversely, the winner in the Metropolitan region always wins the second round, which would mean Kast. So who knows which way it goes. It seems tough, but I hope it can be done somehow.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/SecBlinken/status/1462881148749725696?s=20

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

https://twitter.com/venanalysis/status/1462884559264133121

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I think this is just a language problem, in spanish the word is "democracia" which means basically an electoral system where people choose their leaders.

The american english equivalent is "democracy", which means "choose from the George Washington/Harvard grads", which the Venezuelans failed to do, again. Just a simple lost in translation thing, happens all the time.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

“Patria y Visa” is a great pun

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I was about to post that too. :lol:

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

lmao

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Lmao
So is this guy interim president for life or will the US elect another one eventually?

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me

this is the funniest poo poo ive seen since a few hours ago when i saw the nyt say that epstein not committing suicide is a conspiracy theory then went on to talk about how the prison was making many, many errors

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/PedroPascal1/status/1463281245882929156

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/telesurenglish/status/1462648644671262722

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/AKurmanaev/status/1463268985097572353

:hmmyes:

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Trump doesn't need to jail everyone to win elections like Biden. He has perfected a much more sophisticated system.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Very American of him.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

flawed vote as in perfectly by the rules according to international observers

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

bagual posted:

flawed vote as in perfectly by the rules according to international observers

That's not what my Western propaganda wings are telling me!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Local Chavista discovers one weird trick. Yanquis hate him!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

brugroffil posted:

He was head of their parliament so next in line if there's no legitimate president iirc

Like how Nancy Pelosi would become president of nobody was actually certified on time for the 2020 presidential election.
But she is next in line, not was

Wouldn't it be more like Paul Ryan declaring he's president because he was the head of the House?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
so the accusation is now that maduro is too good at democracy lmao

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The accusation is that he keeps people "dependent" on him (in other words, gives them reasons to vote for him), which is deplorable obviously

Voters are supposed to carefully compare resumes then file in to vote for the longest one, and then the candidate spits in their faces and tells them to thank him for letting them cast a grubby vote and act like they're part of the process oh and they don't deserve anything. Giving people stuff that makes their lives better is cheating.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Based.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 20 days!)

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so the accusation is now that maduro is too good at democracy lmao

it's not that he's too good at democracy, he's too good at politics. He's maintaining a loyal voter base while the opposition fractures into three distinct blocs, while creating apathy to arrive at the average voter turnout for Latin America.

In a democracy you have to have two equally viable parties in every election, and instead of maintaining party loyalty you let people decide on who to vote based on what the tv tells them.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

VitalSigns posted:

But she is next in line, not was

Wouldn't it be more like Paul Ryan declaring he's president because he was the head of the House?

The idea is that there haven't been legitimate elections since that point

Look I'm not saying it makes any sense but that's the claim as I understand it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

drat it seems like he's playing the system (the same way all our politicians do)