Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Skwirl posted:

It's bath salts, lot spent the next month getting completely loving high.

That tracks with all of the getting drunk and loving his daughters Lot does in the next few chapters.

And he was supposed to be one of the righteous men in the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

OwlFancier posted:

What salt are we talking? Does it have to be table salt or can it be other kinds of salt?

Certainly not kosher salt

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Do you have any sources on this? Not disbelieving you but I'd like to read more on it

https://retractionwatch.com/2021/10/01/criticism-engulfs-paper-claiming-an-asteroid-destroyed-biblical-sodom-and-gomorrah/

Has some decent links to "this probably wasn't an asteroid/meteor" criticisms.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2021/09/23/a-night-with-lot-in-sodom-on-meteors-and-memory/
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2021/09/24/a-night-with-lot-in-sodom-better-see-that-twice/

Those two have a bit more of "the lead author is a bit of a kook," and some thoughts on competing ideas of biblical historicity. I'd recommend Fred Clark's writing in a broader sense, particularly the long series criticizing the Left Behind books (I think he's got a link to the e-book version of that somewhere on his blog).

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5Ag9n-o0IZACF2h6ztqC1wxmeUug1rtD

Finally, I don't think anything in here specifically addresses this specific study, but it talks a lot about scholarly consensus on various parts of the Bible and is in general very neat.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Schubalts posted:

What the gently caress

lol

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Antigravitas posted:

The DeviantArt thread has changed us all. :ohdear:

I loving just glaze past poo poo like that since I found out Osamu Tezeku (creator of Astro Boy) use to draw pictures of a sexy mouse lady getting eaten by a snake in his spare time)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

OwlFancier posted:

What salt are we talking? Does it have to be table salt or can it be other kinds of salt?

Lot was a shepherd at one point so maybe it was basalt

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The whole turning into salt thing was supposed to be one of those ironic supernatural punishments people like to think God deals in. After the two angels come to Lot and his wife disguised as not multi-winged, multi lion faced beings of pure mind horror but regular looking people, Lot's wife goes to her neighbour to ask for salt and also mention that they were hosting two strangers knowing that her neighbours don't like strangers and would want to....ahem...sodomize and kill them. So when the big guy in the sky rains down hellfire and Lot's wife turns to see the lightshow God goes "hey remember that time you went to your neighbours and asked for salt but really wanted to get my angels killed, well bam, you are salt now biznatch".

And thus ends this biblical tale of why Lot's wife was turned to salt.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Kantesu posted:

https://retractionwatch.com/2021/10/01/criticism-engulfs-paper-claiming-an-asteroid-destroyed-biblical-sodom-and-gomorrah/

Has some decent links to "this probably wasn't an asteroid/meteor" criticisms.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2021/09/23/a-night-with-lot-in-sodom-on-meteors-and-memory/
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2021/09/24/a-night-with-lot-in-sodom-better-see-that-twice/

Those two have a bit more of "the lead author is a bit of a kook," and some thoughts on competing ideas of biblical historicity. I'd recommend Fred Clark's writing in a broader sense, particularly the long series criticizing the Left Behind books (I think he's got a link to the e-book version of that somewhere on his blog).

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5Ag9n-o0IZACF2h6ztqC1wxmeUug1rtD

Finally, I don't think anything in here specifically addresses this specific study, but it talks a lot about scholarly consensus on various parts of the Bible and is in general very neat.

cool, thank you! :)

Madkal posted:

The whole turning into salt thing was supposed to be one of those ironic supernatural punishments people like to think God deals in. After the two angels come to Lot and his wife disguised as not multi-winged, multi lion faced beings of pure mind horror but regular looking people, Lot's wife goes to her neighbour to ask for salt and also mention that they were hosting two strangers knowing that her neighbours don't like strangers and would want to....ahem...sodomize and kill them. So when the big guy in the sky rains down hellfire and Lot's wife turns to see the lightshow God goes "hey remember that time you went to your neighbours and asked for salt but really wanted to get my angels killed, well bam, you are salt now biznatch".

And thus ends this biblical tale of why Lot's wife was turned to salt.

She didn't even get a name! She's just "Lot's wife" for eternity

Seth Pecksniff has a new favorite as of 23:05 on Nov 22, 2021

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Madkal posted:

After the two angels come to Lot and his wife disguised as not multi-winged, multi lion faced beings of pure mind horror but regular looking people, Lot's wife goes to her neighbour to ask for salt and also mention that they were hosting two strangers knowing that her neighbours don't like strangers and would want to....ahem...sodomize and kill them.

Yeah, including

quote:

Lot offers the mob his virgin daughters to "do to them as you please", but they refuse and threaten to do worse to Lot. The angels strike the crowd blind.

That sure was conveniently left out of Vacation Bible school!

Also the interpretation that Lot's wife turned around, not because she was having second thoughts but because she heard cries of loved ones and couldn't help but turn around is super loving sad.

Although this one is my favorite:

quote:

Another view in the Jewish exegesis of Genesis 19:26, is that when Lot's wife looked back, she turned to a pillar of salt upon the "sight of God," who was descending down to rain destruction upon Sodom and Gomorrah.
So it wasn't God going "I said don't look back! Eat salt, bitch" in some vengeful way, but her body/mind not able to comprehend what she was seeing....this interpretation seems a bit more Eldritch. :P

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 23:10 on Nov 22, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Read After Burning posted:

Yeah, including

That sure was conveniently left out of Vacation Bible school!

Also the interpretation that Lot's wife turned around, not because she was having second thoughts but because she heard cries of loved ones and couldn't help but turn around is super loving sad.

Sacred hospitality is a hell of a thing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I like that Sodom was a place where so much as the rumour of two hot twinks from out of town, a horny mob forms.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
https://youtu.be/bar3GOzDNzg

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Skwirl posted:

I loving just glaze past poo poo like that since I found out Osamu Tezeku (creator of Astro Boy) use to draw pictures of a sexy mouse lady getting eaten by a snake in his spare time)

Now now, the sexy mouse lady had nothing to do with the snake. The snake picture was of a sexy lady turning into a snake with tits and then being sad about it

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Skwirl posted:

sexy mouse lady was published in Vampires, that comic had a lot of sexy ladies transforming to/from animals

tezuka also created the first full length erotic animated film

i guess what i'm saying is, he didn't just draw that in his spare time

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

christmas boots posted:

Lot was a shepherd at one point so maybe it was basalt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Kit Walker posted:

Now now, the sexy mouse lady had nothing to do with the snake. The snake picture was of a sexy lady turning into a snake with tits and then being sad about it

Ah, truly the "Are you a Jackie or a Marilyn?" of our time.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
drat i thought i was gonna get away with that

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

anime is horny

the anime has always been horny

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Me when the second edible hits.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Baron von Eevl posted:

There's a lot in the old testament about how other gods are real but aren't as cool as you-know-who. I imagine that belief changed from "yhwh is the best" to "yhwh is the only god" around when sumerian polytheistic religions died out.

Yeah, specifically around the time of the Babylonian exile when the First Temple was destroyed. The Canaanite offshoot religion that became Judaism absorbed a lot of external legend material (possibly the Flood myth, for example) and philosophy from Babylonian sources. Also coincidentally this is where they realized that YHWH was not, in fact, reliant upon the Temple and only had influence upon the people who kept the covenant of Abraham but was actually omnipotent, omnipresent, and omniscient and deliberately allowed the Babylonian Empire to destroy the kingdom of Judah because they had sinned a bunch.

Of course Babylon had to be destroyed in turn because look what those jerks did to the Chosen People, but...

There's a fun podcast called Sunday School Dropouts that goes heavily into the historical and social context of the Bible book by book. Recommended.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Seth Pecksniff posted:

fun fact: there's substantial evidence that a meteor exploded over an ancient city, possibly birthing the God's wrath narrative! :eng101:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/fernandezelizabeth/2021/09/23/a-massive-meteor-may-have-destroyed-the-biblical-city-of-sodom/?sh=46822e215826

no there's not

their "geology" team were almost all not geologists, they were picking up float samples (gravel off the ground that could have come from anywhere), their pictures of "shocked quartz" are absolutely not shocked quartz, and the only way you can introduce shock textures into rocks like that are from direct meteorite impacts, detonation of significant amounts of high explosive at ground level, or nuclear weapon airbursts. You can find plenty of those textures around Sudbury in Canada, for example, but there's also a 130km long crater there.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The movie 'Year One' was dogshit garbage, but the Cain and Abel stuff was pretty funny. EDIT: Upon rewatching the scene it is not nearly as funny as I remembered.

But it does have one of the best David Cross one-liners ever:

"You know what the best part is about Sodom? The sodomy."

Mister Speaker has a new favorite as of 00:35 on Nov 23, 2021

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I like that Sodom was a place where so much as the rumour of two hot twinks from out of town, a horny mob forms.

My favorite version of the story :
https://youtu.be/bar3GOzDNzg

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Roland is not the idiot (I don't think)...these got a chuckle out of me.

https://twitter.com/RolandB3/status/1462886338064171012?cxt=HHwWiICy8fXXm80oAAAA

https://twitter.com/deckheady/status/1462935028954972165

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Read After Burning posted:

Roland is not the idiot (I don't think)...these got a chuckle out of me.

https://twitter.com/RolandB3/status/1462886338064171012?cxt=HHwWiICy8fXXm80oAAAA

JFK's probably just going back to recover his lost souls.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Salt pillars are real things that form in extra-salty lakes, presumably that's what the Israelites were describing and not just a perfect column or a pile or anything.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Where did this salty pillar in the salty lake come from?

..... Must have been God

You know, because of all the sodomy

Oh right

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Data Graham posted:

..... Must have been God

Oh right

Sodium,
Sodomy,
Coincidence?

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
A former coworker of mine was just this perpetually exhausted dude and you could tell he had a rough life. When our conspiracy nut guy ended his rants with 'you think this is a coincidence?!' tired guy eventually just started responding with "yes, everything is. Ever." in the most weary voice he could and resuming what he was doing.

I think about that dude a lot.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

..... Must have been God

Oh right

Eww

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Filthy Haiku posted:

A former coworker of mine was just this perpetually exhausted dude and you could tell he had a rough life. When our conspiracy nut guy ended his rants with 'you think this is a coincidence?!' tired guy eventually just started responding with "yes, everything is. Ever." in the most weary voice he could and resuming what he was doing.

I think about that dude a lot.

Hope that dude is having an ok day today

Unless he was a total piece of poo poo in which case I hope he turns into a pillar of salt

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
In Hebrew, the words for Salt (מֶלַח) and Sailor (מַלָח) use the same letters but different "niqqud" (those little dots and lines around the letters) to help instruct speakers on the specific pronunciation for each letter. A majority of the time, you don't write the niqqud--instead relying on context and experience to distinguish between two or more identically-spelled words. In other words, "Salt" and "Sailor" would both look like מלח.

Anyway, it's highly likely that the original intent was "sailor"; sailors, even in ancient times, were known for their perversions from long, lonely journeys on the open sea, and while a pillar of salt has utility, you'd never want a pillar of sailors hanging around.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Lot's wife became a pirate.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

SFX: GLANS

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RoboRodent posted:

Lot's wife became a pirate.

Now this is the spinoff I want to see

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

How did she get the cake if you can't replicate the image? :thunk:

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
There's a really good episode of Tales of the Unexpected where two unscrupulous archeologists find the remains of Lot's wife.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

How did she get the cake if you can't replicate the image? :thunk:

Making it a cake actually created its own separate, new NFT edition. What's really cool is that even in the destructive act of consuming it, they maintain the NFT value of the cake.

Yes, they can have their cake and eat it, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Cake shop must've been freaked out that the kids birthday cake they were making had the lion smoking.