Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

alnilam posted:

Also iirc most evidence is that delta did not evolve to be more resistant to the vaccine. It's just insanely more infectious.

It’s also deadlier.

For a while it was difficult to disentangle those factors, plus what turned out to be waning vaccine efficacy. People were getting more breakthrough infections not because Delta was sidestepping antibodies, but because there just weren’t as many antibodies floating around anymore.

For now, the Delta booster formulation trials quietly continue. It’s a good bet that the next big thing will be a branch of Delta, far more similar to Delta than it is to the virus that was sequenced in Wuhan in January of 2020. If it has serious immunity escape to the first-generation vaccines, the Delta-targeted versions and their ongoing trials will be greatly appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Shadow0 posted:

If symptoms of a disease (like having a fever when you have the flu) are part of how your body fights off a disease, wouldn't that mean that symptom-reducing medicines often just prolong being sick?

it's not necessarily the case that fever, snot and lethargy are helpful at fighting off a cold, they might also be virus-induced reactions that help the pathogen more than the host. it's complicated

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

AlbieQuirky posted:

If there isn’t one, I’ll make one here in Ask/Tell tomorrow. I love spending other people’s money for them!

Cool!

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I gave a friend of mine an Xbox 360 Kinect and a PC adapter so she can use it with VR.

Just curious what you were doing with this. I used a kinect for face tracking in sim games for ages but the tech has moved on and now I just use my phone cam.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I'm heading into winter (it's in the 20's F tonight), and the apartment I'm in is the first I've ever lived in with baseboard heating. I've only lived in places with forced air from a furnace/heat pump and a central thermostat. Or in one case, those old school iron radiators you gotta bleed, and your whole house smells like the back of a bus from the oil burner turning on for the first time that season. (Not gonna lie, I kinda am nostalgic for that smell)

Just wondered if anyone has any tips or tricks for maxing efficiency for this kind of heating. Each room has one, and they're all controlled manually with knobs that look straight out of the seventies. We've been going with:

1. Crank the living room, since that's where we spend the most time
2. Leave kitchen off, who needs heat in a kitchen
3. Bathroom goes on when we're about to take a shower/bath
4. Bedroom goes off during the day while we're at work, then we set it at medium when we get home so it'll be snuggly

I just can't afford a $Texas electric bill, so I want to know if I'm doing something stupid.

If there's some other thread that's better suited to answer this, wouldn't mind hearing about it. Thanks!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Chubby Henparty posted:

Just curious what you were doing with this. I used a kinect for face tracking in sim games for ages but the tech has moved on and now I just use my phone cam.

Full body tracking with her Oculus Rift

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Gift suggestions thread has been made! Come ask and tell!

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'm heading into winter (it's in the 20's F tonight), and the apartment I'm in is the first I've ever lived in with baseboard heating. I've only lived in places with forced air from a furnace/heat pump and a central thermostat. Or in one case, those old school iron radiators you gotta bleed, and your whole house smells like the back of a bus from the oil burner turning on for the first time that season. (Not gonna lie, I kinda am nostalgic for that smell)

Just wondered if anyone has any tips or tricks for maxing efficiency for this kind of heating. Each room has one, and they're all controlled manually with knobs that look straight out of the seventies. We've been going with:

1. Crank the living room, since that's where we spend the most time
2. Leave kitchen off, who needs heat in a kitchen
3. Bathroom goes on when we're about to take a shower/bath
4. Bedroom goes off during the day while we're at work, then we set it at medium when we get home so it'll be snuggly

I just can't afford a $Texas electric bill, so I want to know if I'm doing something stupid.

If there's some other thread that's better suited to answer this, wouldn't mind hearing about it. Thanks!

Might depend on your layout. My old kitchen and living room were essentially 1 big room, and having one off just makes the other one work harder.

Same theory for the rest. When you open a cold room, the warmer areas cool down or those cold walls suck us heat and end up running extra energy anyway.

Ceiling fan? Flip the switch in the winter, less of a breeze that would make you feel cold. Otherwise an oscillating fan on low will help circulate the air and create more even distribution of heat.

Plastic covers on the windows are what my Midwest parents swear by to reduce heating bill.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
My mother pocket dials me with a WhatsApp voice call every time she sends me a message. I think it's something about the way she puts the phone away.

Is it possible to block WhatsApp calls from a single source without blocking the messages?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Hey, I remember an advert or two on here along the lines of "love crushing nazis? hate doing work? click HERE" and they went to threads in the Games subforums where people were forming communist blockades? Does anyone know what those threads are? I think one game was like a spreadsheet "log in once a day to make a nazi infuriated" type thing and the other one was a mobile Eve game.

I do remember some drama in the spreadsheet one where a nazi decided to take on a bet and got ridiculed? But I can't find any of this.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Full body tracking with her Oculus Rift

That makes sense, thanks

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I need another casual hobby and I would like to learn to play the piano. The trick is that I would like to learn to play... appropriately I guess would be the right word. Like learning basic musical theory and actually reading sheet music. I can play guitar alright, but I just learned that through tabs and it feels more like going through a form rather than making music. I know that it would take a long time and lots of effort but I figure my brain is about to harden into unmoldable concrete and I want to lodge a tiny bit of actual musical skill into it before it's too late.

So what is the current best way for a thirty-something dilettante to go from zero to okay on the piano? Besides in-person lessons I mean

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

I need another casual hobby and I would like to learn to play the piano. The trick is that I would like to learn to play... appropriately I guess would be the right word. Like learning basic musical theory and actually reading sheet music. I can play guitar alright, but I just learned that through tabs and it feels more like going through a form rather than making music. I know that it would take a long time and lots of effort but I figure my brain is about to harden into unmoldable concrete and I want to lodge a tiny bit of actual musical skill into it before it's too late.

So what is the current best way for a thirty-something dilettante to go from zero to okay on the piano? Besides in-person lessons I mean

Get in person lessons, online is probably fine. Especially as a beginner, you want to not develop bad habits, and no book/YouTube can give you feedback.

But other than me being an rear end, join/ask them piano thread in Musicians Lounge:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2612320&pagenumber=1&perpage=20

And also go say hi in the guitar thread if you haven't already, a lot of theory gets covered there, and it's all the same notes.

Oh, and the obvious thing is just practicing reading sheet music. Either you already know the idea, else any 5 minute YouTube can tell you how to read it. The hard part is getting used to doing it at a usable speed (better than one note per minute), and that's all practice.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anyone know what the origin of this image is?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
A deranged mind.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

What are these things called:

...and can you buy them, uh "raw", I guess? Like not done up as a cutesy bird, I just want the mechanics of one from like a science supply place or something. More bare-bones.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

...and can you buy them, uh "raw", I guess? Like not done up as a cutesy bird, I just want the mechanics of one from like a science supply place or something. More bare-bones.

That is a drinking bird, also known as insatiable bird, dunking bird, drinky bird, water bird or dipping bird.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Nov 22, 2021

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

I can pretty much guarantee that it'd be cheaper to buy the dressed-up bird version and then remove the stuff you don't want, vs. find a bare-bones one. Consider that you need everything except the hat and tail anyway -- the beak is how water is absorbed, and the feet need to be big to provide stability. Plus the bird version is common and mass-produced. Any bare-bones one wouldn't be made in mass quantities and so would probably be more expensive.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

The Moon Monster posted:

Anyone know what the origin of this image is?

"Do you wipe standing up or sitting down?"

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3665740&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I knew the beak was critical --- turns out the felt on the head is, too. Hoping I can readily the remove the top hat (why do they all have top hats, you think it's a balance thing?) and maybe paint over the eyes. Wish it wouldn't have those goofy legs/feet, but I can work around that, I suppose.

Appreciate your quick replies!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Platystemon posted:

That is a drinking bird, also known as insatiable bird, dunking bird, drinky bird, water bird or dipping bird.

Lol do people really call it an insatiable bird

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I heard that there was a paleoamerican (older than 10k years) skeleton found that had DNA from northern Europe, but I can't find anything about it. Is it true?

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Nah.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
I'm in New York State and I have to quarantine due to a high risk Covid-19 exposure despite the fact I am asymptomatic and negative. My company is required to offer me leave for the duration of my quarantine, but the HR manager told me that since I have not worked at the company long enough to utilize PTO, I am not eligible for sick leave, and that I instead have to go through the NYS Paid Family leave program, included in which is a delay that will result in me not being compensated for the first week of my quarantine. I'm not super well versed in this stuff, but this sounds like complete and utter bullshit. Does anyone have recent experience with this type of stuff? My company has well over 100 employees since that appears to be relevant.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Try the legal questions thread.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Note they will probably just tell you to contact an employment lawyer, which you should do

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mentioned this in the TCC thread but this thread is more active so I figured I'd ask here.

I went in for a piss test today for a new job I am starting. I don't even do drugs, at least not in many months, so that wasn't an issue, but I did have a some beers last night and didn't think anything of it. It was one of those instant ones where they just stick a little paper doodad in the water and test it right in front of you.

The guy finishes waiting for the test and then this interaction happens

Him: Cool you are good, any alcohol?
Me: alcohol? I had some beers last night.is that gonna affect...
him: nah, like right now
me: No?
Him: I'm just playing. Your good congrats on your new job. I'll send it over now

on my way out I realized that probably 3 hours earlier at lunch I had like, a literal sip of hard seltzer. I'm talking like 2 oz tops and this was hours later.

I'm still trying to parse wtf that interaction was. Like, he made it sound like everything was gravy, but I suspect he actually did find something and was not being super up front or didn't care? Like, why would he say that? I didn't even realize those job drug tests would be checking to see if I had a few drinks the night before. it was kind of hard to get read on him because he was joking around the whole time. Now I'm slightly worried I won't have a job. I mean, I was stone sober when I went in there. Tbh I have gone in for drug tests before after a night of drinking and never had any issues so I didn't think anything of it.

What would you make of this interaction? Tbh I walked out of there not even thinking about it, but like 5 minutes later I started getting into my own head about it.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Anyone know any good general handyman books (or where to ask for such recommendations)? I got a buddy in prison who wants to do handyman work when he's out.

Softcover preferred. Because apparently you can kill a man with a hardcover.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

mentioned this in the TCC thread but this thread is more active so I figured I'd ask here.

I went in for a piss test today for a new job I am starting. I don't even do drugs, at least not in many months, so that wasn't an issue, but I did have a some beers last night and didn't think anything of it. It was one of those instant ones where they just stick a little paper doodad in the water and test it right in front of you.

The guy finishes waiting for the test and then this interaction happens

Him: Cool you are good, any alcohol?
Me: alcohol? I had some beers last night.is that gonna affect...
him: nah, like right now
me: No?
Him: I'm just playing. Your good congrats on your new job. I'll send it over now

on my way out I realized that probably 3 hours earlier at lunch I had like, a literal sip of hard seltzer. I'm talking like 2 oz tops and this was hours later.

I'm still trying to parse wtf that interaction was. Like, he made it sound like everything was gravy, but I suspect he actually did find something and was not being super up front or didn't care? Like, why would he say that? I didn't even realize those job drug tests would be checking to see if I had a few drinks the night before. it was kind of hard to get read on him because he was joking around the whole time. Now I'm slightly worried I won't have a job. I mean, I was stone sober when I went in there. Tbh I have gone in for drug tests before after a night of drinking and never had any issues so I didn't think anything of it.

What would you make of this interaction? Tbh I walked out of there not even thinking about it, but like 5 minutes later I started getting into my own head about it.

You're thinking about this way too much.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

obi_ant posted:

You're thinking about this way too much.

Thank you. I needed to hear that from someone haha.

I’m get larry David levels of neurotic about stupid stuff sometimes.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Love the idea that somewhere on another forum there's that guy lamenting that he asked you out in the stupidest way at the wrongest moment and you totally misunderstood.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Christoph posted:

Softcover preferred. Because apparently you can kill a man with a hardcover.

lol if you think you can't kill someone with a softcover.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
How often do Crohn's sufferers normally go to the bathroom?

I ask because I have one kid that works for us that has it, and goes to the bathroom nearly every hour or so. Granted, he eats terribly. I have two women that have it as well and maybe go once per full shift. They're constantly on him about his diet. Is it solely his diet causing a difference between him going literally 7 times as often?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I ask because I have one kid that works for us that has it, and goes to the bathroom nearly every hour or so. Granted, he eats terribly. I have two women that have it as well and maybe go once per full shift. They're constantly on him about his diet. Is it solely his diet causing a difference between him going literally 7 times as often?

He's hiding in the bathroom to take a break from his co-workers who are constantly up in his business.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

McCracAttack posted:

He's hiding in the bathroom to take a break from his co-workers who are constantly up in his business.

I mean if it were anyone but him, I'd agree. But trust me it's not that... Partially because it's more him spreading his own business to everyone than people inquiring

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

In that case he's giving y'all a break.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

McCracAttack posted:

In that case he's giving y'all a break.

On one hand, you're right. On the other, it'd be nice to have reliable break coverage :shobon:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Stop worrying about your employees medical conditions. HTH!

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I don’t have Crohn’s, but another inflammatory bowel disease, and it can be from 1x/hour to 2x/day depending on whatever. Certainly eating lots of fried food, spicy food, and/or drinking booze sends it up to the “more often” region of the scale, but sometimes that just happens out of nowhere.

:itwaspoo:

The other people might be on meds or have learned to manage their disease more effectively, or just have less severe cases. Or it could be that he eats foods that irritate his colon, but what are you going to do about that as his employer? You could spot him a visit to a registered dietitian, which might be $400, or I guess just encourage him to read up on what might be triggering his symptoms?

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Nov 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Or his meds aren't working
Or his meds stopped working
Or this is a side effect of meds
Or blah

Autoimmune diseases affect individuals very differently, even if they are on the same meds and eat the same food.

Either way, do not bring this personal and embarrassing subject up with your employee.