Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Offset/backspacing just control where the centerline of the wheel is relative to the hub face of your brake rotor/drum. The only thing that plays into is aligning the tire so that it's not too far inboard and rubbing your frame/suspension, or too far outboard and rubbing your bodywork.

Rim width versus tire width I've never heard of as a consideration for sidewall vulnerability, but somewhat for keeping the bead seated at low pressures. I (and a lot of TJ/YJ owners) run 33x12.5R15 on a 15x8 wheel, even though almost all examples of that tire size recommend a rim between 8.5" and 11", and the measured specs are on a 10" wide rim. Maybe try and hunt down some compatible 15x5.5 or 15x5 wheels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Maybe try and hunt down some compatible 15x5.5 or 15x5 wheels?

Z31 300ZX spare tire is 15x5 and matches my lug pattern...

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Got a set of Prothane end links and all irregular noises are gone.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

ryanrs posted:

So speaking of tires, is there a relationship between wheel width / tire width / sidewall vulnerability? Right now I have 15x6.5 steel wheels with KO2 215/75R15 tires, generally run 15-20 psi offroad. This combo is right at the limit wrt scrubbing at steering extremes. But should I be thinking about offsets, different widths, or whatever? I don't know tire science at this level.

I guess this is mostly theoretical, since I can't imagine the difference is amazing enough to buy a whole new set of 5 wheels+tires.

Tire width wrt to wheel width is important when you air down, because you don't want the bead busting off the wheel. Wheel offset can be important in race cars, but its mostly important here for steering articulation.
I went to BFG's website and I didn't see the very exact tire size you described, but generally speaking a 15x6.5 wheel would be the right width for a tire that size.
Since it sounds like you're running steelies, and I'm sure those tires are significantly heavier than the factory tire, the only appreciable performance gain you could get would be to get lighter wheels. And its sorta nebulous what the performance would be.

sidewalls: sidewall strength is kinda/sorta determined by the tire's load rating. For KO2s, and really most popular truck tires, theres C rated and E rated. For the KO2 specifically, a C rated tire will have a six ply sidewall. This will be a softer ride and a lighter tire, although obviously not as strong. An E rated tire will be ten ply, so a much stiffer ride and noticeably heavier. Thing is, not all tire manufacturers offer every size in every rating, so you would potentially have to go to a larger tire as well. With how little your van weighs and with the offroading you've shown itt, I wouldn't really worry about it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

For the KO2 specifically, a C rated tire will have a six ply equivalent sidewall. This will be a softer ride and a lighter tire, although obviously not as strong. An E rated tire will be ten ply equivalent
Everything else you said is 100% correct, and the conclusions from these specific points is still very much true, but six and ten ply tires don’t really exist anymore. The KO2 E range is apparently 3 ply :v:

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Krakkles posted:

Everything else you said is 100% correct, and the conclusions from these specific points is still very much true, but six and ten ply tires don’t really exist anymore. The KO2 E range is apparently 3 ply :v:

Huh good to know, i had no idea that ply was a rating/value on tires. That makes sense, insomuch that it seems weird that there would be a 10 or 12 layer tire in TYOOL 2021.

FogHelmut posted:

Got a set of Prothane end links and all irregular noises are gone.

:rock: do you think you crushed the bushing on the other end links?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I liked my BFG AT KOs too other than the banana peel sidewalls everyone already called out. But that's true of duratracs too.

The real answer is BFG Krawler MT red labels on everything, as long as you don't care if you get 3 or 4 figure tire life instead of 5 or 6.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

kastein posted:

I liked my BFG AT KOs too other than the banana peel sidewalls everyone already called out. But that's true of duratracs too.

The real answer is BFG Krawler MT red labels on everything, as long as you don't care if you get 3 or 4 figure tire life instead of 5 or 6.

I had BFG KM2s on a Nissan Frontier and yeah, I think I got maybe 15k miles on them? maybe? and they're not as soft as those. They were great tires for the first 10k miles or so and then they got l o u d. I've thought about switching back, because I never drive anywhere and the performance is real, but I can't stomach driving something that annoyingly loud again.

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 18, 2021

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

:rock: do you think you crushed the bushing on the other end links?

I definitely overtightened them at first, but then I may not have tightened them enough on the 2nd go round. I feel better with the Prothane ones however. They're much more substantial, and the bushings are nicer in my opinion, and they seem easier to not screw up.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

The Coveted Double Spare

How many of you carry two spare tires? Has anyone had their trip messed up from two flats?

I usually carry one full size wheel, and a tire patch kit. I can patch like 20 nail holes before I run out. Sidewall punctures patch just fine, but will start leaking after a few months. Things I can't patch: severe tire damage, wheel damage, valve stem, and maybe losing a bead (can prob fix that, not guaranteed tho).

The worst that I've had happen is destroying a wheel. It was nbd since I was on my way home, right at the end of the trail. But if it had happened at the beginning of the trip, I might have been forced to abort the attempt, because then I'd have no spare.

I'm asking because I currently have a good KO2 tire, and buying the wheel + tpms + mount + balance = only $150.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I do for long trips far out of support range from either myself, AAA, or friends whose shops I can borrow on a moments notice. I will be carrying 2 spares on my next cross country run since the tires on the truck are pretty old and both the trailer and truck have the same spec wheels and tires, and I carried FOUR spares on the NY Gambler 500 run I did because it was 250 miles from home and I was running on tires I'd just bought for $150 on Facebook marketplace and didn't know if they'd even make it there, nevermind making it 500 miles off-road and then back home.

For local trips, say within 100 mile AAA Premium range, I don't bother. Hell, sometimes I don't carry a spare at all on those runs if I need the cargo space and know the route pretty well.

You have roof rack rails right? I'd consider making a spare tire holder that goes up there for the second one and maybe even the first if it means you can put drinking water storage or something in the factory location.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean if the $150 isn't a dealbreaker and you've got the room for it, why not?

I wouldn't, but :lol: at the idea of carrying a second 33" spare on a TJ.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The national forest roads in Arizona so far are way nicer than the ones I've driven on in Southern California. The main ones are graded and compacted gravel with no dips or bumps or large rocks. You could cruise these in a Prius.

I took some side roads though, which are still admittedly very nice.

Getting out to the Petrified Forest tomorrow and Grand Canyon on Tuesday, probably all on paved roads. I check out of Flagstaff on Wednesday, and am going to hit Sunset Crater and Cinder Hills before I head down to Sedona.

Going to try to see what I can see Thursday morning if I'm not involved in too much cooking, then all day Friday to explore Sedona. Try to squeeze in whatever's left on Saturday morning before heading back to California.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 22, 2021

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't recall if I mentioned it but if you want to do Soldier Pass in Sedona, you'll need a permit - looks like they're still available for at least the next weekish.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I just finished Schenbly Hill Rd going east to west down into Sedona. Got there about 7:30 AM and didn’t see anyone until the descent at which point it was a nonstop barrage of obnoxious pink tour Jeeps.

Not very technical but amazing views looking down into town. Random reviews online we’re back and forth about bothering to air down but I did and was glad.

Tomorrow I’m planning on going to the Grand Canyon as well. Rest of the day is the Palatki cliff dwelling tour, Sedona, and then the Lowell Observatory.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

If any of you guys driving around AZ happen to pass through Prescott, I recommend stopping at Superstition Meadery (although probably not if you have to keep on driving after that).

Re: spare tires, I think most people here have cars that allow larger spares without modification, but my spare tire goes under the vehicle and the room is limited by the KDSS system and my trailer hitch. When I get new wheels and tires I won't be able to fit my spare, so I can either go aftermarket or just strap it to my roof rack. I have a few options, but none that seem like the obvious choice and all of them seem ridiculously expensive:

JW Offroad - $900 carrier that mounts to the rear barn door. I don't mind cutting up the rear door, but I already have a folding table mounted to the inside of the door and it's heavy from the factory.

Expedition One rear bumper - $2400 once you include all the options and powder coating. I like that the tire is not supported by the door, but there were some problems with the bumper damaging some other part of the car (I thought rear passenger door but I don't see how...). Supposedly fixed now, but also very expensive.

Rigd hitch carrier - $1400 plus you'll need to add on the backup camera extension and a license plate mount. The only thing this has going for it is I could just leave the spare tire at home unless I was going out on the trails. For around town I have AAA and after someone I know got killed changing their tire on the side of the freeway I've decided against changing my own tire on the side of the freeway. It also seems insanely expensive for what it is.

I've seen some nice one-off / custom setups that use a swingarm like the Expedition One bumper but just drill a hole in the stock bumper, and they seem like the best in terms of price / performance, but then you're dealing a one-off design that may not be as tested as others. I'm leaning towards the JW Offroad just because that's the cheapest and most commonly used tire carrier for the GXs, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

MomJeans420 posted:

If any of you guys driving around AZ happen to pass through Prescott, I recommend stopping at Superstition Meadery (although probably not if you have to keep on driving after that).

Re: spare tires, I think most people here have cars that allow larger spares without modification, but my spare tire goes under the vehicle and the room is limited by the KDSS system and my trailer hitch. When I get new wheels and tires I won't be able to fit my spare, so I can either go aftermarket or just strap it to my roof rack. I have a few options, but none that seem like the obvious choice and all of them seem ridiculously expensive:

JW Offroad - $900 carrier that mounts to the rear barn door. I don't mind cutting up the rear door, but I already have a folding table mounted to the inside of the door and it's heavy from the factory.

Expedition One rear bumper - $2400 once you include all the options and powder coating. I like that the tire is not supported by the door, but there were some problems with the bumper damaging some other part of the car (I thought rear passenger door but I don't see how...). Supposedly fixed now, but also very expensive.

Rigd hitch carrier - $1400 plus you'll need to add on the backup camera extension and a license plate mount. The only thing this has going for it is I could just leave the spare tire at home unless I was going out on the trails. For around town I have AAA and after someone I know got killed changing their tire on the side of the freeway I've decided against changing my own tire on the side of the freeway. It also seems insanely expensive for what it is.

I've seen some nice one-off / custom setups that use a swingarm like the Expedition One bumper but just drill a hole in the stock bumper, and they seem like the best in terms of price / performance, but then you're dealing a one-off design that may not be as tested as others. I'm leaning towards the JW Offroad just because that's the cheapest and most commonly used tire carrier for the GXs, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Once you get into full bumpers, I believe there are more options for rear carriers and swing outs other than Expedition One that might be a little cheaper and/or not have issues like you mentioned reported (e.g. Coastal Offroad, Victory 4x4).

I've seen some of those custom swing outs and agree it's one of the better solutions, but as someone that doesn't have the confidence to design one of these myself, I'd want someone to turn this style of solution into a kit (have a feeling this might happen at some point soon) to get more feedback/reviews before going this route.

I've heard the JW carrier can have some issues with heavier wheel/tire combos: at some point the weight causes the door to droop enough that the latch doesn't quite line up unless you kinda lift the door up a little while you close it. Not sure when this starts to become a problem. It still 'works' in that situation, but seems like a bad sign for longevity. In general there is longevity concern with having the tire mounted directly to the door, but thus far there haven't been any consistently reported issues related to this from what I can tell from postings on the GXOR FB group. I don't think the weight of your folding table will be all that significant in comparison to the carrier/spare, but it depends on what you went with.

The Wilco HitchGate Solo is another option for a hit mounted carrier/swing out, but it's not much different price wise than the Rigid. I like this solution in theory: not permanent, not supported by the door, not as heavy as a full on bumper, doesn't require welding. But yeah, price/weight wise once you're spending that much it's hard to justify not just going with a full on bumper for the added benefits (e.g. better departure angle, more protection). If I did go that route I think I'd try to keep the spare in the trunk when I don't need the cargo space, and only throw the carrier on when I actually need the space (and maybe just for longer trips, might just leave the spare at home if I just need the cargo space to haul something across town from home depot or w/e). However, I have a feeling throwing on the carrier and mounting the tire would be just enough of a hassle that I'd very quickly just end up leaving it on full-time (at which point we're back to "why not just get a bumper").

Not sure how much help that is, but yeah, it's an annoying thing to deal with when moving to larger tires on a GX. Enough so that I've decided to go with tires that will still fit in the spare location (at least when aired down: which comes with the annoyance of the TPMS warning light always being on) and see how that goes. However, I don't have KDSS, so I think I can fit something a bit larger than you can (though I do still have the factory hitch).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Steve Jorbs posted:

Not very technical but amazing views looking down into town. Random reviews online we’re back and forth about bothering to air down but I did and was glad.

Do those people not have spines or something? You don't need to for traction but holy gently caress you want every bit of compliance you can manage for comfort alone.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Do those people not have spines or something? You don't need to for traction but holy gently caress you want every bit of compliance you can manage for comfort alone.

Yeah, if I'm going to be offroad for any significant distance on anything remotely rocky, I'm airing down just for comfort/speed even if it's not technically challenging at all. It's amazing how much of a difference in ride even just 10 PSI makes.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh yeah, it's a huge deal.

To all my fellow goons driving around on fire roads with highway tires, next time you're out, try airing down to 20-25 psi and see how you like it. But do not drive at high speed on 25 psi (maybe keep it under 40 mph at 25 psi).

The difference in ride quality will be amazing. I run bigger than OEM tires at 15 psi and it is so nice for washboard roads. Really, try it.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

ryanrs posted:

Oh yeah, it's a huge deal.

To all my fellow goons driving around on fire roads with highway tires, next time you're out, try airing down to 20-25 psi and see how you like it. But do not drive at high speed on 25 psi (maybe keep it under 40 mph at 25 psi).

The difference in ride quality will be amazing. I run bigger than OEM tires at 15 psi and it is so nice for washboard roads. Really, try it.

Is it ok to do this even if I'm using typical stock size tires? I have 215/70/16s on my Pajero IO.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Yeah, do whatever you want at 20 psi, as long as you keep the speed down. Most of my offroad driving is something like 3-30 mph, so it's not something I constantly worry about. But if you go 80 mph on the freeway at 25 psi you will destroy your tires and probably have a blowout.

You will hear about extreme offroaders "breaking the bead" which means the tire slips off the wheel and loses all air. But that's only if you're running single-digit psi in giant truck tires. Not a chance at 20 psi.

e: maybe I should mention that I just got my van back from the alignment shop (three hours ago!), because I hit a big rock at 0 psi and it did significant damage to the van, including structural damage. But that won't happen on your average fire road.

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Nov 23, 2021

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Ahhh, airing down for ride comfort - one of those things that continually reminds me, over the years, that I am a stubborn/stupid gently caress.

Typical Reasons and/or equipment for airing down:
-ahhhh another pretty smooth-looking Mojave Desert Road! I've only been driving these for hella years now, they're never that good
-full set of expensive, previously adjusted, carefully-tuned tire deflators set to optimal PSI for pretty smooth-looking Mojave Desert Roads
-not in any real rush, in fact probably waiting for a friend to meet up at the rendevous
-expensive onboard ARB air compressor and requisite hose/fittings for easily reinflating at the end of the trip

Typical Reasons for NOT airing down:
*squinting from the side of the highway, still parked on pavement* ehhhh this route looks fine, I'll air down once we hit camp if it seems necessary :cool:

Me, 47 minutes later: :crobear: :pcgaming::dogcited: :vegemite: :sludgepal::f5: :killdozer::blastu: :dogcited::crobear::vegemite: :killdozer: :pgi::pcgaming:

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 23, 2021

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's no fun if you don't arrive feeling like you took a ride in a paint shaker

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Splinter posted:

Once you get into full bumpers, I believe there are more options for rear carriers and swing outs other than Expedition One that might be a little cheaper and/or not have issues like you mentioned reported (e.g. Coastal Offroad, Victory 4x4).

I've seen some of those custom swing outs and agree it's one of the better solutions, but as someone that doesn't have the confidence to design one of these myself, I'd want someone to turn this style of solution into a kit (have a feeling this might happen at some point soon) to get more feedback/reviews before going this route.

I've heard the JW carrier can have some issues with heavier wheel/tire combos: at some point the weight causes the door to droop enough that the latch doesn't quite line up unless you kinda lift the door up a little while you close it. Not sure when this starts to become a problem. It still 'works' in that situation, but seems like a bad sign for longevity. In general there is longevity concern with having the tire mounted directly to the door, but thus far there haven't been any consistently reported issues related to this from what I can tell from postings on the GXOR FB group. I don't think the weight of your folding table will be all that significant in comparison to the carrier/spare, but it depends on what you went with.

The Wilco HitchGate Solo is another option for a hit mounted carrier/swing out, but it's not much different price wise than the Rigid. I like this solution in theory: not permanent, not supported by the door, not as heavy as a full on bumper, doesn't require welding. But yeah, price/weight wise once you're spending that much it's hard to justify not just going with a full on bumper for the added benefits (e.g. better departure angle, more protection). If I did go that route I think I'd try to keep the spare in the trunk when I don't need the cargo space, and only throw the carrier on when I actually need the space (and maybe just for longer trips, might just leave the spare at home if I just need the cargo space to haul something across town from home depot or w/e). However, I have a feeling throwing on the carrier and mounting the tire would be just enough of a hassle that I'd very quickly just end up leaving it on full-time (at which point we're back to "why not just get a bumper").

Not sure how much help that is, but yeah, it's an annoying thing to deal with when moving to larger tires on a GX. Enough so that I've decided to go with tires that will still fit in the spare location (at least when aired down: which comes with the annoyance of the TPMS warning light always being on) and see how that goes. However, I don't have KDSS, so I think I can fit something a bit larger than you can (though I do still have the factory hitch).

I went through this exact same discovery process for my Tacoma. I upgraded to the BAMF leaf spring hangers w/ the crossbar, which means I cant fit any spare under the bed anymore. I didnt want to go with the full bumper + tire carrier, because its really expensive and also total overkill for my needs. Also i live less than a mile from the beach, and maybe the first 4x4er in history to say this, but I want MORE plastic on my truck. A scratch in the powder coat is basically a death sentence here.
I've seen the Wilco carriers in person, and thats a hard pass for me. For the price, they're extremely janky/shoddy in person IMO. Also the aforementioned rust - the one I saw was heavily rusted, like it looked like a powdercoat failure. I've seen the Rigd in person and they're great, but they're really not any less expensive than getting a bumper with a tire carrier.

I somehow miraculously found these guys: https://www.rigid-armor.com/toyota. Originally I had ordered the 500 dollar fold down tire carrier, but after doing that once or twice i realized that I'm way too old to gently caress with that every time I want to open the tailgate. The owner Daniel was really gracious and let me trade it in and upgrade to the full swingout carrier, and gave me a discount. I added the rotopax mount and the fold down table, and IIRC i was 1200 or so out the door? Its EXTREMELY solid, I'm really glad I purchased it (although fair warning, the powdercoat on it seems to be poo poo and I'm probably going to have to go back up to LA to swap out an arm. I think its just a one-off though)

I was working on it today, wiring up a license plate bracket light and a brake light behind the tire carrier. I'll take some pics and post them tomorrow.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Steve Jorbs posted:

I just finished Schenbly Hill Rd going east to west down into Sedona. Got there about 7:30 AM and didn’t see anyone until the descent at which point it was a nonstop barrage of obnoxious pink tour Jeeps.

Tomorrow I’m planning on going to the Grand Canyon as well. Rest of the day is the Palatki cliff dwelling tour, Sedona, and then the Lowell Observatory.

:whatup: I'll be there in a white Chevy Colorado Z71 with California plates, and with my kids and wife and her sister and her husband and their kids and all of the kids will be screaming.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Splinter posted:

The Coastal Offroad bumper is actually reasonable priced, that's tempting due to the price of the JW carrier. I've seen some decent looking DIY kits that I could probably bring to a local fabricator, but I'm always worried about one-off designs. Now that I think of it I saw a really nice one made by a guy in LA so I could probably track him down and at least it won't be the first GX he's done. I just don't think I'll need anything as crazy as a full rear bumper so it's a lot to spend and I've already had a bit of scope creep in building my GX. On the other hand, if it's a better solution and I'm keeping the car forever, another $1k could be worth it.

I thought about the aired down route but the TPMS light will drive me insane (I know there are ways around it but I don't want to mess with it).

Vampire Panties posted:

I somehow miraculously found these guys: https://www.rigid-armor.com/toyota. Originally I had ordered the 500 dollar fold down tire carrier, but after doing that once or twice i realized that I'm way too old to gently caress with that every time I want to open the tailgate. The owner Daniel was really gracious and let me trade it in and upgrade to the full swingout carrier, and gave me a discount. I added the rotopax mount and the fold down table, and IIRC i was 1200 or so out the door? Its EXTREMELY solid, I'm really glad I purchased it (although fair warning, the powdercoat on it seems to be poo poo and I'm probably going to have to go back up to LA to swap out an arm. I think its just a one-off though)

I was working on it today, wiring up a license plate bracket light and a brake light behind the tire carrier. I'll take some pics and post them tomorrow.

Please do post pics when you're done, I'm curious. I like how Rigid have options even for RAV4s but not a GX, I wonder if the 5th gen 4Runner ones would work.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

MomJeans420 posted:

The Coastal Offroad bumper is actually reasonable priced, that's tempting due to the price of the JW carrier.
I think the one catch with the Coastal Offroad bumper is the bumper itself comes in pieces and needs to be welded together (in addition to then needing to be welded to the truck). That's not that unusual, but it's worth noting that some of the more expensive options are shipping you a fully assembled bumper that just needs to be installed to the truck. The Coastal approach saves on shipping and initial cost, but results in a significant increase in labor for the install. So if you're not doing the welding yourself, you might wanna check with the shop, as the additional labor could end up making it just as expensive as some of those other options depending on their rate and how much extra time the want to bill for the assembly.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

:whatup: I'll be there in a white Chevy Colorado Z71 with California plates, and with my kids and wife and her sister and her husband and their kids and all of the kids will be screaming.
California plates and screaming kids you say? I’m sure you would have been easy to spot out. Grand Canyon was cool. Walked along the rim path then did a descent trail into the canyon halfway to get up before sunset. RIP to all the groups still going down an hour before sunset.

Going to check out Cinder Hills today. I haven’t driven on sand or sand-like material before so it should be fun. I’m unclear on how “open” the OHV park is but I plan to stay to the trails that have been laid out and maybe try a hill climb?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lol I'm going there too today, but we are checking out of Flagstaff before that and driving down to Sedona to check in after, so I'm going to be completely loaded up with all of our luggage, as well as an orange 5 gallon Igloo water cooler with a brining turkey inside.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Man, being a Hummer owner somethings is really embarrassing. I never cared either way, I just liked the H1 and use it but man some of the owner base is yikes...

The Hummer EV 1000% broke some owners brains completely. Some completely embraced it, some are doing EV conversions of H1's and HMMWV's and other people are... Not well... with the new model coming out.

And someone posted a video of Joe Biden driving one the other day on "The Hummer Club" Facebook page and well.... watching the meltdown from some people is... :discourse:

Looking forward to dropping in a crate EV engine into my H1 with an energy pack down the road from one of the big 3..

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

FogHelmut posted:

Lol I'm going there too today, but we are checking out of Flagstaff before that and driving down to Sedona to check in after, so I'm going to be completely loaded up with all of our luggage, as well as an orange 5 gallon Igloo water cooler with a brining turkey inside.
Trip report: Cinder Hills OHV Park is fun as gently caress.you can rip through everything at speed in 4H.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Splinter posted:

I think the one catch with the Coastal Offroad bumper is the bumper itself comes in pieces and needs to be welded together (in addition to then needing to be welded to the truck). That's not that unusual, but it's worth noting that some of the more expensive options are shipping you a fully assembled bumper that just needs to be installed to the truck. The Coastal approach saves on shipping and initial cost, but results in a significant increase in labor for the install. So if you're not doing the welding yourself, you might wanna check with the shop, as the additional labor could end up making it just as expensive as some of those other options depending on their rate and how much extra time the want to bill for the assembly.

Ah good point. I think I'm just going to go with the JW Offroad carrier, if I have to replace the hinges in a few years so be it. I debated just throwing the tire on my roof rack when I travel but that sounds like a good way to throw out my back at the start of a vacation.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Steve Jorbs posted:

Trip report: Cinder Hills OHV Park is fun as gently caress.you can rip through everything at speed in 4H.

I went in through the Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument park entrance, did the sights, and took 244 off of the main park road. Took some side roads off of there, and down a pretty steep incline back to 244 and back to the park, where we finished out Wupatki National Monument. There were some good smooth straights, and some woops, but mostly just narrow forest roads.

Only lost about 1/4 cup of brine out of the turkey.

Also hit 20k in the park.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I run an ARB dual wheel carrier on my 100, but I had to put the first spare somewhere when I fitted the big fuel tank (on the 100, the sub tank is ABOVE the underslung spare, so when you upgrade your sub tank, you need to put it somewhere. Means I can carry two spares for desert adventures (when punching an inch diameter hole through a sidewall is quite possible and your ~500km from a tyre shop to buy a new one) and I've got 217L of diesel for a 1500km range AND 55L of drinking water under the car. Not a cheap setup though

As for airing down, it makes a MASSIVE difference in your tyres ability to conform to objects instead of transfering the impact directly into the suspension and rest of the car.

These are all taken on a 100x100 I beam, 285/75R16 tyres.

40 psi

20 psi

10 psi

Normally when I'm doing a big outback tour I'm loaded heavy- I'll run 45psi front/ 55psi rear cold on the highway (thats to get a ~4psi pressure rise cold to hot) with the shocks compression dampening turned right up, but then when i hit high speed gravel i'll drop to 35/45, slow technical stuff is 25psi all round and soft desert or beach sand is 12psi front 14psi rear.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Alright here's my tire carrier. The wiring needs to be cleaned up but this is pretty much good to go. One thing I really like about this carrier versus other carriers I've seen is there's no turning latch, its just a lynch pin with a cotter pin to hold it in place. Its rock solid when its closed.

Up close

Swung open with the table folded down

At night with running lights.

I also installed these guys in the very tiny lip between the tailgate and bumper. With the blacked out taillights, and other drivers not paying attention in general, I wanted something more. I've had these on the truck for over a year and they're fantastic. A little beat up looking up close, but they've held up extremely well for being amazon specials. Also yes its a 60" farmers jack. IME the regular 48" hi-lift is juuuuuust short enough to get into really dangerous situations. If I have to break out the goddamn bloodthirsty thing, I want to do it right.

re: GX - I could've sworn I saw Lexus on the Rigid Armor website, but its clearly not there. I think there's some GX pictured on their instagram page but I'm not certain either. Its basically a one-man operation out of a workshop in Whittier CA, so I'm sure you could reach out and ask.

Now once I recover from crashing my bicycle on Monday (:doh:) I'll get out into the dirt

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I, for one, am glad I took the time to air down to 20 psi for Schnebly Hill Road. It would have been impassable at highway pressure.

That being said, the tour jeeps have some kind of magical suspension because they were just cruising over the rocks at 10 mph not taking any lines.

Views at the top were worth it. We took the smooth dirt road down to the freeway from there.

Me thinking driving over these rocks was more badass than it was

The true badass of the mountain

Also there were a lot of people who came up the smooth side from the freeway who were in way over their heads coming down into Sedona. It was definitely rockier than the reviews I've read, but not the wildest stuff I've been on. But there were a couple of stock pickups who didn't seem to realize, and one poor lady following a Jeep in a GMC Terrain with all kinds of tree scratches down the side and she had a thousand mile stare. I salute her willingness to stick it through when she should have turned around.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

FogHelmut posted:

That being said, the tour jeeps have some kind of magical suspension because they were just cruising over the rocks at 10 mph not taking any lines.

That's why people love Jeeps off-road, and one of their main redeeming features lol (I say this as a Jeep-haver).

Enjoyed all your photos and stories, thanks for posting them! Chuckled out loud at the concept of offroad-brined turkey hahaha, it struck me funny.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Anyone deal with Bay Area Metal Fab?
I want to get some poo poo for my Tacoma.
I've read some reviews and it seems like their products are quality, but just wondering about the company itself.

In TFR we've got a thread talking about companies that promote hate/authoritarianism etc.... in the gun and gun related industries.

I don't consider myself to be some sort of Dr. Wokenstein, but I don't want to support them if they're in to some racist or anti-LGBTQ type stuff.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That sticks out a lot less than I thought it would, it looks like a pretty decent option. I guess I have the problem of where I'd store it when it's not on the GX as my garage space is limited right now. I never go to meetups but I'm thinking I should go to a GX meetup and see how the JW carrier feels in person once it's installed.