Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Jaxyon posted:

Actually talking to family members is one of the few ways you can make a difference. You can absolutely talk people out of white supremacy, white nationalism, conservativism, etc, and pretty much only if you have an existing close relationship.

Why do you think so many people are severing? It's because they've tried this, repeatedly, and it doesn't loving work. In fact, it only seems to make the problem worse.

If you could reason someone out of being a conservative then we wouldn't have any conservatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Trazz posted:

Why do you think so many people are severing? It's because they've tried this, repeatedly, and it doesn't loving work. In fact, it only seems to make the problem worse.

If you could reason someone out of being a conservative then we wouldn't have any conservatives.

It does work, with the right technique. It's pretty much the only instance in which you can do it. Randos on the internet? Not so much.

But as I said, nobody owes family that work. I'm not against severing from racist family and I've practiced what I preach, both ways.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Jaxyon posted:

Actually talking to family members is one of the few ways you can make a difference. You can absolutely talk people out of white supremacy, white nationalism, conservativism, etc, and pretty much only if you have an existing close relationship.

It's a lot of work but it can and does work. People do this with their internet-radicalized children.

Having said that, nobody owes anyone that work and it's entirely voluntary. If your family is abusive to you you don't owe them anything. But that's not to say they're unreachable.

Some people are not "absolutely" reachable. Some people are possibly reachable, and talking to them is good, but some are too foregone and are definitely "unreachable."

And to pre-empt the idea that I haven't tried, I have and I have succeeded. Still, I stand by my statement above, though. My relative that got a white power tattoo in a very visible place who stands by it after conversations about it? I get that fucker a donation for BLM related groups every year.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 22, 2021

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Jaxyon posted:

It does work, with the right technique. It's pretty much the only instance in which you can do it. Randos on the internet? Not so much.

But as I said, nobody owes family that work. I'm not against severing from racist family and I've practiced what I preach, both ways.

Agreed with this on both points. It is something that has been shown to work, but that labor is nothing you can expect or obligate.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Trazz posted:

This Thanksgiving, remember to cut all right-wingers out of your life

You don't gotta worry about holiday flights or gifts when you're no longer on speaking terms with half of your family

It's weird how you shifted from prescribing this behavior to claiming you've just been describing an ongoing event. Real weird.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

The Sean posted:

Some people are not "absolutely" reachable. Some people are possibly reachable, and talking to them is good, but some are too foregone and are definitely "unreachable."

And to pre-empt the idea that I haven't tried, I have and I have succeeded. Still, I stand by my statement above, though. My relative that got a white power tattoo in a very visible place who stands by it after conversations about it? I get that fucker a donation for BLM related groups every year.

I agree that not everyone is reachable, but the argument at this point seems to be over whether "almost everybody is reachable" or "almost nobody is reachable".

I'm just saying that someone you have a strong familial connection with is your best shot at changing hearts and minds.

Anyhow, we should be done with this, Trazz has been posting poo poo opinions in this thread for a bit and it's not going anywhere.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Holy gently caress Sean Parnell is out! :vince:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/22/politics/sean-parnell-suspends-senate-campaign/index.html

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Trazz posted:

It’s because they acknowledge they are politically powerless, so this is what they’re reduced to. Policing their friendships and those of their own family and friends, googling the stars of shows to see if any of them have bad views, and then avoiding those shows.

Let me ask you a question Trazz:

Is this an exercise in power, or personal aesthetics? Because politics is about power, so I don’t much care who sits around what thanksgiving table because it absolutely does nothing but reify the essential powerlessness of the neoliberal subject. The only power you can envision is to isolate yourself, which you see as isolating them.

Power would look like you and that racist uncle getting so drunk together you go burn a bank down with him. What you’re describing is the vanity of consumerism, which is pretty rich for someone who probably eats slave chocolate as much as the rest of us.

Capitalism won’t atomize your family if you get to it first lol

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Do people actually read these overly long posts about friendship & politics? Because I sure don't.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Fame Douglas posted:

Do people actually read these overly long posts about friendship & politics? Because I sure don't.

Trazz’ POV was the standard POV for the equivalent of this very thread in near-recent history; whenever KM was still in good graces. I caught a probe or two arguing that it was futile and got told that was because my in-laws were all klansmen and I loooooove them and want to kiss them forever. It was a really wild time. Trazz feels retro in that way.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

Unfortunately, there isn't a "right" technique. There are things you can try, and sometimes some people will respond. More often not. And sometimes keeping contact goes the other way and it's the person attempting to help their family ends up in the cult too.

That doesn't mean it's not worth trying, for certain people and certain situations (or that it is). But if it doesn't work there's not necessarily a "correct" technique that would have done the job.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

:siren:
I think the "To Sever or Not To Sever" debate has gone on long enough that it deserves it's own thread, it's clearly proven to be a discussion that can maintain steam.

Regardless, it has run it's course in this thread. If someone does make the thread, feel free to drop a link to it in here so party people know where to go, but the discussion itself needs to stop in here.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

the_steve posted:

:siren:
I think the "To Sever or Not To Sever" debate has gone on long enough that it deserves it's own thread, it's clearly proven to be a discussion that can maintain steam.

Regardless, it has run it's course in this thread. If someone does make the thread, feel free to drop a link to it in here so party people know where to go, but the discussion itself needs to stop in here.

Thank you.

https://twitter.com/alyankovic/status/1462892820302229504?s=20

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Are millions of people still buying Kid Rock albums or is this like how people paying a cable subscription to watch Comedy Central are subsidizing the 4 people who watch "The Swedish Art House Movie Channel 3"?

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Are millions of people still buying Kid Rock albums or is this like how people paying a cable subscription to watch Comedy Central are subsidizing the 4 people who watch "The Swedish Art House Movie Channel 3"?

I think we have obviously somehow event horizened. To prove and somewhat mitigate this, I say we ressurect Warren Zevon in a dark ritual so that he may exact vengeance for "All summer long".

Don't get too attached to your eyes.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
nvm, not topical

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 23, 2021

General_Disturbed
Apr 7, 2005

Ride the 8=====D

I have not seen or heard Kid Rock in years. And I live in the deepest of the deep CHUD south. And have tons of relatives who absolutely loved him and listened to his big album that came out like 20 years ago. No idea if anyone actually unironically listens to him in TYOOL 2021.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Kid Rock has maintained his following by issuing cheap(20$ I think?) tickets compared to like, everyone else who charges more than a carnival act these days. In effect, he's chosen his audience, and is now catering to their world view. I doubt he believes a goddamn word he's saying but he's on the right wing grift train now for better or for worse. Him being from Michigan and then espousing the 'southern' way of life constantly is just wtf though.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

General_Disturbed posted:

I have not seen or heard Kid Rock in years. And I live in the deepest of the deep CHUD south. And have tons of relatives who absolutely loved him and listened to his big album that came out like 20 years ago. No idea if anyone actually unironically listens to him in TYOOL 2021.

His biggest hit of the last decade (and maybe longer than that) successfully rhymed "things" with "things", so obviously he's a musical genius, up there with that weird, inbred-looking pro-trump white rapper who showed up last year.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
im very much taken aback by the confidence with which people say that voting republican (or democrat) so strongly correlates with bigoted views.

its been shown over and over again in voter surveys that people have insanely incoherent personal ideologies. just completely contradictory views that you would think would fall apart on the most cursory examination, and yet....

I also saw people repeatedly mention the idea that the only way a republican voter could not be bigoted would be if they were "incredibly ignorant" of the gop's policies. do you understand the degree to which our engagement in politics is aberrant? people absolutely pull the lever, put on the bumper sticker, and spend zero neurons ever considering what policies actually result from their exercising of the franchise.

im not going deny that voting republican can be a reason to feel trepidation about a person's ideology, but it is absolutely not sufficient to form any conclusions about the degree of bigotry that person supports.

e: well, you can be pretty certain that person has bigoted attitudes, but only because they are an american shaped by the material conditions present in american society, but that applies to everyone.

e2:

Fame Douglas posted:

Yeah, there's always that one fascist with a heart of gold you don't want to get away.

almost every american tacitly supports an insanely bloody and brutal extraction of wealth in the global south. this attitude of systemically devaluing the lives of the oppressed is absolutely endemic in society at large. and people don't even pay it the slightest mind, because it is everywhere. its like a fish and water.

people are ignorant of the actual effects of what they tacitly support because they are incentivized (and even coerced) by material conditions and the institutions of capitalism to be so.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 23, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, there's always that one fascist with a heart of gold you don't want to get away.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Man was ahead of his time. If he started his career post-widely accessible internet he would be massively popular (not that he isn't, just, ugh, too soon for the king).

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

The Sean posted:

Man was ahead of his time. If he started his career post-widely accessible internet he would be massively popular (not that he isn't, just, ugh, too soon for the king).
Naw, I disagree. I think the MTV music video boom is the best time, and likely the only time, that Weird Al could have flourished. There was enough mono-culture that everybody could 'get' a Bad parody song, but enough content being constantly produced that he had a wide enough array of targets. 10 years earlier and he's the Duck Disco guy, ten years later and he's one of the dozen parody music YouTube channels that I'm currently subscribed to.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

The Sean posted:

He's sold over 13 million albums, had a career lasting over 40 years, had his own TV show, his own movie, has had an album at #1 on the Billboard charts, and is one of the top 100 best selling musical artists of all-time. All of that despite being "comedy" albums.

I think he's done alright.

Tibalt posted:

Naw, I disagree. I think the MTV music video boom is the best time, and likely the only time, that Weird Al could have flourished. There was enough mono-culture that everybody could 'get' a Bad parody song, but enough content being constantly produced that he had a wide enough array of targets. 10 years earlier and he's the Duck Disco guy, ten years later and he's one of the dozen parody music YouTube channels that I'm currently subscribed to.

His first single came out before the Disco Duck album.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 23, 2021

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Yes. I'm shifting the conversation to Weird Al. Let's talk about him.

I think besides his own creativity Weird Al understood pop culture and the world well enough and this is demonstrated in his comedy, UHF. I also think he should be a Superbowl Half Time Show. His interviews are also grand. I saw his concert once and I had fun, he did the fat suit and everything. It was the first musical concert of...maybe...like...maybe the only one I've ever attended outside of Broadway Theater.

In his video FAT he showed the inherent conflict and pressure to be fit yet peer pressure of food represented by the fat people dragged him back in, this is culturally relevant because people got fat in America and he cut right to it while showing the humanity and failing of man.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The White House says there will be no US lockdowns to fight Covid this winter.

quote:

“We can curb the spread of the virus without having to in any way shut down our economy,” White House coronavirus response coordinator Jeff Zients said. “We have 82% of people now with one shot and more and more people getting vaccinated each week.” Separately, White House press secretary Jen Psaki said U.S. health officials are not currently recommending lockdowns or economic restrictions to curb rising COVID-19 cases.

This is extremely good news for downballot races next year that desperately need anti-lockdown sentiments (responsible for the poor showings in VA) to abate. Among other things.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Weird Al has been consistently popular for decades, that dude is one of the most well known and beloved comedians in America.

Like, it's hard to imagine him doing what he's doing anymore successfully than he already is.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Gatts posted:

I think besides his own creativity Weird Al understood pop culture and the world well enough and this is demonstrated in his comedy, UHF. I also think he should be a Superbowl Half Time Show. His interviews are also grand. I saw his concert once and I had fun, he did the fat suit and everything. It was the first musical concert of...maybe...like...maybe the only one I've ever attended outside of Broadway Theater.

In his video FAT he showed the inherent conflict and pressure to be fit yet peer pressure of food represented by the fat people dragged him back in, this is culturally relevant because people got fat in America and he cut right to it while showing the humanity and failing of man.

He also ushered in a renewed appreciation for Czech culture and their beloved tradition of song, even as the cold war was being revived in the mid-80s, bridging a gap between our great nations.

I am of course talking about the 1984 hit single Polkas on 45.

skylined! fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 23, 2021

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Weird Al has been consistently popular for decades, that dude is one of the most well known and beloved comedians in America.

Like, it's hard to imagine him doing what he's doing anymore successfully than he already is.

He did an entire concert series with basically no parodies and it was widely successful, that's how good his ability to draw crowds is.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Can we not have a weird al detail? Thanks.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

^^
*edit* You understand what forum you're posting on, right?

Tibalt posted:

Its arguable that despite his musical chops, he only got his foot in the door due to an obscure syndicated radio program "dr demento" which gave him his first big exposure. Him being an actually nice person, respectful and all of that doesn't really fit into the mold of what you usually have to sacrifice of yourself to make it in the 80's(or otherwise really) music world. Video really did kill the radio star.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

A big flaming stink posted:

its been shown over and over again in voter surveys that people have insanely incoherent personal ideologies. just completely contradictory views that you would think would fall apart on the most cursory examination, and yet....

Relevant (and current from this week's episode);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8h_N80qKYOM

The Sean fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 23, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I think Weird Al needs to bring back the afro and mustache from his UHF days.

Look at this stylish gently caress.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Awww, but talking about Weird Al is so much more fun and enjoyable than the stuff that usually gets posted here.

But fine, here's an article about how it's becoming increasingly common for Americans to walk around with guns just because they loving can: https://apnews.com/article/ahmaud-arbery-kyle-rittenhouse-us-supreme-court-wisconsin-gun-politics-dbc0c29cb1b29ad848a00d8830e2222e

So expect even more mass shootings and murders of protesters in the future (as if you didn't already know that would happen already).

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

I'm going to allow the Weird Al derail, I think it makes for a nice cooldown. :colbert:

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
weird derAl

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Awww, but talking about Weird Al is so much more fun and enjoyable than the stuff that usually gets posted here.

But fine, here's an article about how it's becoming increasingly common for Americans to walk around with guns just because they loving can: https://apnews.com/article/ahmaud-arbery-kyle-rittenhouse-us-supreme-court-wisconsin-gun-politics-dbc0c29cb1b29ad848a00d8830e2222e

So expect even more mass shootings and murders of protesters in the future (as if you didn't already know that would happen already).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSD3brpn2nE

Weird Al Yankovic posted:

Trigger happy
Trigger happy

Got an AK-47, well you know it makes me feel all right
Got an Uzi by my pillow, helps me sleep a little better at night
There's no feeling any greater
Than to shoot first and ask questions later
Now I'm trigger happy, trigger happy every day

Well you can't take my guns away, I got a constitutional right
Yeah, I gotta be ready if the commies attack us tonight
I'll blow their brains out with my Smith and Wesson
That ought to teach 'em all a darn good lesson
Now I'm trigger happy, trigger happy every day

Oh yeah, I'm trigger, trigger happy
Yes, I'm trigger, trigger happy
(Oh baby, I'm) trigger, trigger happy
(Oh, I'm so) trigger, trigger happy
Better watch out, punk
Or I'm gonna have to blow you away

Oh, I accidentally shot Daddy last night in the den
I mistook him in the dark for a drug-crazed Nazi again
Now why'd you have to get so mad?
It's just a lousy flesh wound, Dad
You know I'm trigger happy, trigger happy every day
Oh, I still haven't figured out the safety on my rifle yet
Little Fluffy took a round, better take him to the vet
I filled that kitty cat so full of lead
We'll have to use him for a pencil instead
Well, I'm trigger happy, trigger happy every day

Better watch out, punk

Come on and grab your ammo
What have you got to lose?
We'll all get liquored up
And shoot at anything that moves

Got a brand new semi-automatic weapon with a laser sight
(Shoot to kill now, shoot to kill)
Oh, I'm prayin' somebody tries to break in here tonight
(Shoot to kill now, shoot to kill)
I alwaays keep a Magnum in my trunk
You better ask yourself, do you feel lucky, punk?
Because I'm trigger happy, trigger happy every day

Better watch out, punk
(Watch out or I'll blow you away)
Better watch out, punk
Better watch out, punk
Better watch out, punk

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Gatts posted:

Weird Al was the first pop music concert I've ever been to, at a Trump casino in Atlantic City. That place sucked but Al was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

whos that broooown posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you