Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Magic the Gathering kicks rear end

I hate to be a contrarian, but I think it actually whips rear end.

And I gotta say I’m jealous of folks with expensive/vintage cards. I have one or two random pre-Revised cards and/or valuable ones, and to me it’s just so cool to hear about people getting these rare/vintage items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Arena ladder sucks so loving much. You'd think that Mythic people would be loving around with new stuff but it's still 99% White aggro and turns just like the rest of the ladder!

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
The historic ladder rules though. Historic is such a good format

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Played two opens this weekend for 14 rounds of modern with the my usual dumb bullshit of bant spirits.

Lost a win and in for prizing day one and lost a win and in for top 8 round 2.

Deck felt perfectly cromulent. There was lots of uw control which is good for the deck.

Paper magic felt insanely good to play.

A lot of people don’t know exactly how spirits cards cards work lmao. I think I ended up on 7/14 opponents making misplays to onboard tricks.

Matchups I played against:

- 4c money pile (1-1-1 draw lmao)
- uw control (2-0 W)
- rakdos/mardu Lurrus (2-1 W against mardu 1-2 squeaker loss against rakdos)
- izzet murktide (2-0 win and 1-2 loss where I got EMBARASSINGLY CAUGHT OFF GUARD by a blood moon)
- izzet prowess (1-2 loss where drawing any creature or coco for 3 turns would have resulted in a win)
- yawgmoth (1-2 loss where g3 my deck refused to draw a land, 2-1 win)
- 5c snow control (2-0 win)
- dimir mill (2-1 win)
- jeskai murktide (2-1 win)
- burn (2-0 win)
- Esper reanimator (aspiring spike list) (1-2 loss, I kept my opponent off balance but couldn’t close g3)

Other decks I saw:
- hammer
- affinity
- grixis deaths shadow
- elementals
- belcher
- some kind of u/w professor of symbology deck (???????)
- enchantress
- fully foiled out martyr proc (I fear this person on a deep and fundamental level)
- mono red obosh
- twiddle storm
- rhinos (both kinds)
- jund sagavan and zoomer jund (no boomer jund)
- amulet titan (with that new VOW card cultivator colossus)
- eldrazi tron
- regular tron

I saw zero creativity decks, and I wish I'd seen someone playing that grixis zombies list they did a deck tech on in vegas.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mezzanon posted:

I saw zero creativity decks

Every archetype is creative at first, until a second person plays it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mezzanon posted:

I wish I'd seen someone playing that grixis zombies list they did a deck tech on in vegas.

As the world's #1 modern zombies fan I both was pulling for the kid and yelling at my screen for their card selection.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
for magic cards, are the only normal booster pullable foils just the one type of foil?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

for magic cards, are the only normal booster pullable foils just the one type of foil?

they have recently taken a giant mess of new variants over booster packs to create a new experience they call "booster fun"

draft boosters are the standard 15 card ones that are most common, these usually only have one foil treatment in them but may have an additional variant or so

set boosters are more expensive and have a variety of treatments in them including multiple foil or variant cards

collector boosters are the most expensive. every card in them is a foil, a variant, or unusually rare in some way.

please please please do not try and catch them all, but if you want to crack some boosters just for the hell of it, set and collector boosters are designed to have lots of "fun" in them and make you go wow with all the cool things you get. draft boosters are for using in limited formats where you open new packs and make decks out of them immediately.

e: for reference there are somewhere between 2 and 6? variants of each card in the newest set.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 23, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

:confuoot:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

The insight on this post is Indomitable.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

What do you mean normal booster?
I wish think the answer is yes with a giant asterisk because I think the spotglosss foil lands are in set boosters for mid, and etched foils in MH2

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Arivia posted:

they have recently taken a giant mess of new variants over booster packs to create a new experience they call "booster fun"

draft boosters are the standard 15 card ones that are most common, these usually only have one foil treatment in them but may have an additional variant or so

set boosters are more expensive and have a variety of treatments in them including multiple foil or variant cards

collector boosters are the most expensive. every card in them is a foil, a variant, or unusually rare in some way.

please please please do not try and catch them all, but if you want to crack some boosters just for the hell of it, set and collector boosters are designed to have lots of "fun" in them and make you go wow with all the cool things you get. draft boosters are for using in limited formats where you open new packs and make decks out of them immediately.

e: for reference there are somewhere between 2 and 6? variants of each card in the newest set.

i decided i wanted to slam boosters of a bunch of poo poo that can have weird rares with cool cards and i like the art of

i like the magic art but every foil ive seen of them is jst a basic rear end foil

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

i decided i wanted to slam boosters of a bunch of poo poo that can have weird rares with cool cards and i like the art of

i like the magic art but every foil ive seen of them is jst a basic rear end foil

yeah, they do more alternate art stuff in magic and less special foiling. grab set or collector boosters for the kind of experience you want.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Controversial opinion: reprint Necromancy because I don't like the art. It's gross.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Controversial opinion: reprint Necromancy because I don't like the art. It's gross.

it's on the List!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

For one set specifically, they did a different kind of foiling that they haven't really done identically to. It's commander legends, and it's a fascinating type of foil that doesn't turn into a Pringle after sitting out for a day

So maybe get a few commander legends collector packs if you can, you'll get some neat foils from that and they will stay flat as a board forever. Expensive packs, though. And if you pull a foil jeweled lotus, those suckers are hilariously expensive

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

mcmagic posted:

The Arena ladder sucks so loving much. You'd think that Mythic people would be loving around with new stuff but it's still 99% White aggro and turns just like the rest of the ladder!

Mythic people are the people I would least expect to be loving around with new stuff though?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Diamond is usually meta hell, 98% Mythic and lower is gently caress around town.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Magic the Gathering kicks rear end

I haven't played magic in several months, including arena, and I feel great

I just replaced my magic addiction with videogames, problem solved

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Eej posted:

Diamond is usually meta hell, 98% Mythic and lower is gently caress around town.

This is why I don't really play much past making platinum. I know mythic is attainable by anyone with half decent skill, but I just don't have the time or patience to grind up through platinum and diamond.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
once I hit plat in constructed if I'm doing really really well I'll keep going until I hit a wall, or switch over to standard events to get gold and cards instead of meaningless ranks

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I really like the Premium Draft format since it is fun constructing a new deck and also not playing against the same deck every time. But man my matches lately have been so loving frustrating. I just played a red/green deck with some mid/late game creatures that stomp. But somehow I loving keep getting mana flooded every single match and if I do draw something, its one of the very few lower cost cards in my deck. And its not like I am playing more mana than typical, using the standard 17 mana cards for a 40-card deck. My three losses weren't even close because I just literally had nothing to play with 7 mana on board for multiple turns.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

...pretty sure he meant Indominable Creativity

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Froghammer posted:

...pretty sure he meant Indominable Creativity

I have not thought about that card since AER, I'll be honest.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Did anyone brave the plague and nerd smell to go to Vegas this past weekend for the ChannelFireball thing?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Jiro posted:

Did anyone brave the plague and nerd smell to go to Vegas this past weekend for the ChannelFireball thing?

I was there all weekend.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Ban Faceless Haven

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

mcmagic posted:

Ban Faceless Haven

I just sold the one I opened in a set booster so I'm fine with this

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Do we know whether the Arena Open in two weeks is Draft/Draft for day 1/2 or Sealed/Draft? I have seen conflicting annoucements. Hype as hell for a limited open, even though the format could be better.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Imagine being mad at fat mutavault.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
of all the cards that are very prevalent in the current meta, faceless haven is one of the least offensive

alrund's epiphany, goldspan dragon the creature that pays for its own defense, the myriad ways monowhite aggro can now punish any deck that isn't also entirely creatures, righteous valkyrie, a lot of the stuff in monogreen stompy, these are all way more threatening than faceless haven. faceless haven is mostly just a midgame threat and/or finisher if anything, or something to do when you've run out of cards in my experience

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Balon posted:

I was there all weekend.

How was it? Crowds decent size?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

I have not thought about that card since AER, I'll be honest.

It just won a modern showcase

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Arivia posted:

it's on the List!

As far as I know we don't get new art with The List printings though. :( Therefore not serving the purpose they were looking for ( new art ).

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Captain Invictus posted:

For one set specifically, they did a different kind of foiling that they haven't really done identically to. It's commander legends, and it's a fascinating type of foil that doesn't turn into a Pringle after sitting out for a day

So maybe get a few commander legends collector packs if you can, you'll get some neat foils from that and they will stay flat as a board forever. Expensive packs, though. And if you pull a foil jeweled lotus, those suckers are hilariously expensive

The etched foils do stay flat but the normal foils in Commander Legends are the worst quality of any card I’ve seen in my life.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

MrSargent posted:

I really like the Premium Draft format since it is fun constructing a new deck and also not playing against the same deck every time. But man my matches lately have been so loving frustrating. I just played a red/green deck with some mid/late game creatures that stomp. But somehow I loving keep getting mana flooded every single match and if I do draw something, its one of the very few lower cost cards in my deck. And its not like I am playing more mana than typical, using the standard 17 mana cards for a 40-card deck. My three losses weren't even close because I just literally had nothing to play with 7 mana on board for multiple turns.

Post The Deck. And start using https://www.17lands.com if you can so you can Post The Draft too.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

LeafHouse posted:

The etched foils do stay flat but the normal foils in Commander Legends are the worst quality of any card I’ve seen in my life.

I bought a box of Commander Legends collector boosters, and I will attest that the regular foils are the worst quality of cards I've ever seen. It's comical how the premium product came out so bad.

The foiled etched cards are beautiful and amazing and :perfect:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

LeafHouse posted:

you don't have to tell me. I opened two boxes of collector boosters for CL. this is what the foils looked like a few days after being taken out of the boosters:

while most foils pringle, none of the previous sets were like this. and these ones cannot even be stacked, they just slide off each other if you try to lay them flat like a deck.

the ones that are semi-flat are the foiled-on-both-sides tokens, so the foiling almost cancels itself out. :v:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Captain Invictus posted:

you don't have to tell me. I opened two boxes of collector boosters for CL. this is what the foils looked like a few days after being taken out of the boosters:

while most foils pringle, none of the previous sets were like this. and these ones cannot even be stacked, they just slide off each other if you try to lay them flat like a deck.

the ones that are semi-flat are the foiled-on-both-sides tokens, so the foiling almost cancels itself out. :v:

If you shuffled them so that every other card was reversed, I wonder how much power you could generate by raising and lowering the humidity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Jiro posted:

How was it? Crowds decent size?

Amazing turn out, bigger than most of the GPs I’ve been to here in Toronto.

The whole thing was great. I was in th CZ signing and jamming with people all weekend but I heard some of the OP logistics were garbage.