Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

luchadornado posted:

If Guice is "spaghetti", what is using Spring/Micronaut for DI? A pan of lasagna?

This is why I thought it was a troll. Guice has potential to be probably the least "spaghetti" code framework or obfuscation of any DI solution I've used, Spring is way worse in my eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

As long as it's just c-tor injection. If you use property injection, you are a bad programmer and should go into management.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

kayakyakr posted:

Today sucked... And then today was good.

Meetings scheduled from 9am until 6:00. Rough. But that 4:00 was an interview that went well and we may have filled out our team! And in the 5:00, we tried the thing that our devops team had been struggling with, and suddenly it's working! Good ending.

:dogcited: hell yeaaaa

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Good Will Hrunting posted:

This is why I thought it was a troll. Guice has potential to be probably the least "spaghetti" code framework or obfuscation of any DI solution I've used, Spring is way worse in my eyes.

for the way guice is used sanely, its mostly just a stylistic preference over doing DI yourself. all of the more interesting stuff has turned out to not be worth it.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Guice is the only DI framework I've ever used.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

B-Nasty posted:

As long as it's just c-tor injection. If you use property injection, you are a bad programmer and should go into management.

Well that explains my most recent career move

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

B-Nasty posted:

Why do you have to doxx me like that on these forums, that's not cool at all

no but seriously what's wrong with it? is scrolling ugly or something?

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Love Stole the Day posted:

https://blog.ploeh.dk/2011/05/24/DesignSmellTemporalCoupling/

Also, depending on your language/DI container, property injection may require you to take a dependency on your DI framework in your core code, which shouldn't happen. If Oliveoil wants to NEW up your services in their DI-free app, they should be able to.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

no but seriously what's wrong with it?

Conversely - what value are you getting from it, and is that worth the extra time effort to implement and understand the reliance on this library?

A lot of poo poo works and doesn't seem too bad, but it can be death by 1000 cuts. People getting too clever with DI happens pretty frequently, and is entirely avoidable.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
I feel like the obvious problem with a DI framework is it's more to think about and makes things frustrating.

The less obvious problem is it's more to think about but you like it for some weird reason and don't realize that you're making subtle mistakes because you don't understand it as perfectly as you think. And those mistakes are going to piss off the people who have to work with them.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It makes it hard to new up instances in a DI-less environment, like in tests or if you're providing lib code to other services.

I don't want to gently caress with DI in my tests, and I know there are ways to inject mocks for field injection, but I'd really rather not and just get a public ctor to work with instead. Simpler and clearer what's going on, with more explicit failures.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 23, 2021

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Do you people pronounce "ctor" the way you write it?
Took me a second to realize what is being talked about.

e: "c9r"

gbut fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 23, 2021

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

oliveoil posted:

I feel like the obvious problem with a DI framework is it's more to think about and makes things frustrating.

The less obvious problem is it's more to think about but you like it for some weird reason and don't realize that you're making subtle mistakes because you don't understand it as perfectly as you think. And those mistakes are going to piss off the people who have to work with them.

It's more like the frameworks just give you enough rope to hang yourself. I've used a lot of different DI libraries because I do a bunch of .net, and if you just stick to the basic functionality, (e.g. constructor injection and a startup method or file that registers all the dependencies), it's usually very quick to get a project to use a DI framework, and doing so has refactoring benefits (e.g. what if I decide later that a class should or should not be a singleton, or should only live through the lifetime of a request.) Where it goes wrong is that generally the frameworks will provide fancy functionality that is unnecessary and complicates stuff, like auto-registration of classes based on name. Every problem I've had with DI frameworks involved people loving with features they shouldn't have hosed with.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

Every problem I've had with DI frameworks involved people loving with features they shouldn't have hosed with.

Quoting this to the moon.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Then there are insufferable types who come up with their own little DI frameworks they conjured in their free time and try to inject it (lol) in every work related project they touch.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

It's more like the frameworks just give you enough rope to hang yourself. I've used a lot of different DI libraries because I do a bunch of .net, and if you just stick to the basic functionality, (e.g. constructor injection and a startup method or file that registers all the dependencies), it's usually very quick to get a project to use a DI framework, and doing so has refactoring benefits (e.g. what if I decide later that a class should or should not be a singleton, or should only live through the lifetime of a request.) Where it goes wrong is that generally the frameworks will provide fancy functionality that is unnecessary and complicates stuff, like auto-registration of classes based on name. Every problem I've had with DI frameworks involved people loving with features they shouldn't have hosed with.

Okay, yeah, when I used guice there were a few things that involved more than just constructor injection. Iirc there was a library we needed that required us to define a few our own guice annotations or something at some point, but it's been so long I can't remember.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
My fave DI failure is when people convert singleton-registry style stuff over because DI Is Good, but never actually try and untangle the optional dependency graph and produce this kind of thing:

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Those Magento agencies make so much money doing the worst things possible

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

auto-registration of classes based on name

Auto (convention) registration is almost a requirement on any sufficiently large application that is strict about only taking dependencies on abstractions. I sure don't want to be manually adding a line in my DI config for every FooService/IFooService pair I create; that's just brainless work. Most decent containers will throw errors in auto-registration if there are ambiguous concrete types, so those would be done manually.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

B-Nasty posted:

Auto (convention) registration is almost a requirement on any sufficiently large application that is strict about only taking dependencies on abstractions. I sure don't want to be manually adding a line in my DI config for every FooService/IFooService pair I create; that's just brainless work. Most decent containers will throw errors in auto-registration if there are ambiguous concrete types, so those would be done manually.

just write the three lines of code

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

FamDav posted:

just write the three lines of code

Magic, convention-over-config is fine everywhere else, but no, not in my DI container. That must remain pure. Hundreds of manual registrations where a simple rule-based convention would work is way better than only manually registering the exceptional or tricky cases.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

B-Nasty posted:

Magic, convention-over-config is fine everywhere else, but no, not in my DI container. That must remain pure. Hundreds of manual registrations where a simple rule-based convention would work is way better than only manually registering the exceptional or tricky cases.

Who is arguing for magic everywhere else?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Here's the only "magic" in our DI config:

- If you ask for a concrete class, and that class is set up to be injectable, you'll get a newly-constructed instance of that concrete class.

Anything else (e.g. you want someone who injects an interface to get an instance of the only concrete implementation of that interface)? Go write a binding.

Simple, easy to understand, absolutely no "convention over configuration" nonsense.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
it might be fine if the di container was like dagger where i got a nice compile time artifact that told me what the heck was going to happen, but otherwise

pokeyman posted:

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
My team didn't use any startup DI magic for a long time. Eventually we started hitting a few issues:

* main.cc grew larger and less maintainable, to the point where it contained non-trivial logic that wasn't covered by unit tests. This less-tested code resulted in a few near misses and minor outages.

* In our test setup helper library, we had a sort of structural mirror of main.cc's startup logic. It wasn't exactly identical. Most of the time the differences were just ownership / lifetime semantics (stack vs heap), but other differences were more meaningful, leading to confusion.

* If some class is constructed in 10 different unit tests, and you need to add a new parameter to the constructor, then you have to update it everywhere. Annoying. If every test calls MagicBuild<MyClass>(), implicitly using the same startup logic as the real process, then this problem goes away.

You *could* solve these problems without adopting any new DI patterns, but I found the tools helpful in this case.

It helps that almost none of our classes are interfaces, and the "magic" is just writing a BuildMyClassFromCommandLineFlags() function and registering that factory function with the framework.

I also get lost and confused quickly whenever I have to dig into a Guice codebase, but I'm sure some of that is just unfamiliarity on my part.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

pokeyman posted:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

gbut posted:

e: "c9r"

i like it

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

My team didn't use any startup DI magic for a long time. Eventually we started hitting a few issues:

* main.cc grew larger and less maintainable, to the point where it contained non-trivial logic that wasn't covered by unit tests. This less-tested code resulted in a few near misses and minor outages.

* In our test setup helper library, we had a sort of structural mirror of main.cc's startup logic. It wasn't exactly identical. Most of the time the differences were just ownership / lifetime semantics (stack vs heap), but other differences were more meaningful, leading to confusion.

* If some class is constructed in 10 different unit tests, and you need to add a new parameter to the constructor, then you have to update it everywhere. Annoying. If every test calls MagicBuild<MyClass>(), implicitly using the same startup logic as the real process, then this problem goes away.

You *could* solve these problems without adopting any new DI patterns, but I found the tools helpful in this case.

It helps that almost none of our classes are interfaces, and the "magic" is just writing a BuildMyClassFromCommandLineFlags() function and registering that factory function with the framework.

I also get lost and confused quickly whenever I have to dig into a Guice codebase, but I'm sure some of that is just unfamiliarity on my part.

That sounds kinda reasonable. Maybe if you have a big monolith and your setup code is so complicated that it is a source of bugs, a DI framework might help. I kind of wonder if that indicates a testing problem or if splitting the monolith would be ideal, but maybe DI is the right choice?

In my case I think I remember more: an in-house library or plugin ("module"?) for an in-house framework (written by two unrelated teams), both of which used guice. So I had to learn about guice to get it working and it wasn't straightforward imo and the tests were ugly and confusing to set up.

I managed to isolate guice usage to just the parts required by the framework but it would have been nicer without any guice at all.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if it's a guice module you literally just say "hey use this module" when setting up your injector and it just works, anything else means you probably overcomplicated it

for testing you just create a module with the fakes you want to use and install that instead

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
i've definitely seen people spend 10x the effort trying to avoid learning a DI framework while complaining that it's hard to understand, than it would have taken them to just read the docs and figure out how to do it properly

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

pokeyman posted:

Fair enough... Nobody did here, I suppose.

I just get touchy when people claim that DI containers (with or without auto-reg) introduce way too much abstraction/magic. Meanwhile, they're working in a high-level language likely with some monstrosity of a web framework that has far more convention-based magic.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
I've had really bad experiences with DI frameworks. The people that push them tend to try to use them for too much or overcomplicate design and testing to shove them into things.

In general I think they're better avoided.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

leper khan posted:

I've had really bad experiences with DI frameworks. The people that push them tend to try to use them for too much or overcomplicate design and testing to shove them into things.

In general I think they're better avoided.

Those people would overcomplicate designs with or without DI frameworks. If anything, a DI framework would allow one to simplify design, make it easier for anyone new to the project to understand it and grasp who does what and how. The magic ... it's just "I want X, so here's an instance of X". The how, that's interesting and useful to know in general, but definitely not always required.
As for Guice vs spring ... Spring is a big framework and extremely useful. But if one only needs the DI part of it then it's a waste, Guice or other libraries would be more appropriate. But it is, in my opinion, better to use Spring components than trying to marry together a bunch of separate libraries to achieve the same functionality.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Jabor posted:

if it's a guice module you literally just say "hey use this module" when setting up your injector and it just works, anything else means you probably overcomplicated it

for testing you just create a module with the fakes you want to use and install that instead

Definitely involved modules but likely a little more. I was just doing what the docs said to do and it involved defining a few annotations and figuring out where to use them, which seemed pretty magical to me.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

oliveoil did you get E7 or E8?

Edit: I wonder what the highest level is itt some brag on their E10

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

E10 is fellow. I don't think you can hold that level and be terribly anonymous.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

idk it'd be pretty easy for jeff dean or whoever to just hang out in the anime forum as DeafJeans and not mention computers. it's not like there's a law that you have to post about the poo poo you're famous(-ish) for

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
More oversight on my new team than previous team.

Previously I was justed handed multiquarter projects and told to figure out what to do and make it happen.

New team, this morning I got assigned a bug, need to take some data logged in one place and make sure it ends up in an extra place.

TL tells me where the places to update are, I find out there are some new places not mentioned, I get told to spend 60 minutes digging into the new place, then we'll talk so he can keep me on course. So I do that, talk comes 60 minutes later, he tells me to update the first places that he mentioned at the start and then continue to dig into the new places afterward.

Feel like I haven't had this much hand-holding since my first month of my very first job. Is this normal?

It's my first bug on this team so maybe he's trying to be extra helpful but "spend x time on it, then report back, then do it this way, then do the other part" is surprisingly specific direction.

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 30, 2021

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

oliveoil posted:

he tells me to update the first places that he mentioned at the start and then continue to dig into the new places afterward.

Follow the requirements outlined in the ticket before you start making extra work for yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Ensign Expendable posted:

Follow the requirements outlined in the ticket before you start making extra work for yourself.

I don't disagree. I'm more surprised that it was all laid out specifically. "Okay, spend this much time investigating, then report back"... "Okay now do this and this".

I guess if I'm asking about stuff then that's an invitation for direction though. I guess it'll go away once I am more familiar with the codebase and don't have many questions anymore.