Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I've had a tension headache all day, just enough of one to hang around and not let me concentrate on anything. It also means a cotton pony ride probably within 48 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Hexaoct posted:

Why hasn't my period started yet!? I have surgery in a week, and I really don't want to deal with that and my period at the same time.

Stress, probably. Try ginger or pennyroyal tea (or capsules)

Hexaoct
May 1, 2007

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Stress, probably. Try ginger or pennyroyal tea (or capsules)

Stress has always made my period come early previously. Guess I'll be snacking on that bag of candied ginger in my pantry.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Hexaoct posted:

Why hasn't my period started yet!? I have surgery in a week, and I really don't want to deal with that and my period at the same time.

You can encourage it by going out in public wearing sheer white pants or a skirt.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Everett False posted:

Absolute funniest part of my diagnosis was watching the ripple effect through the rest of my family as their certainty that I was normal was replaced by the realization that they had ADHD and that's why everyone on that side of the family either ends up career-hopping constantly or else self-employed with a bizarre spread of odd jobs.

Same thing has been happening in my family. I thought my mom was the one who started it (get diagnosis was certainly what got me to look into it) but it might have been one of my siblings. I'm probably the most "traditionally" successful of my siblings, and telling them I'd been diagnosed too after they were joking that it was their excuse was maybe a little mean of me.

angry emu
Aug 25, 2011

Super Librarian posted:

The first time I experienced ovulation pain, it was so bad that I went to the ER because I had no idea what was happening.

Same thing happened to me when I was 20 or so, it was my right ovary but I thought it might have been my appendix or some poo poo and wasted some hours at the hospital. I'm used to it now - it's always the right ovary on its bullshit.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Literally only my right ovary is cramping and hurting and why. This all has never happened before. I want to puke and it doesn’t hurt bad but it hurts in a weird, peculiar way.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

teen witch posted:

Literally only my right ovary is cramping and hurting and why. This all has never happened before. I want to puke and it doesn’t hurt bad but it hurts in a weird, peculiar way.
hey uh, might be worth going to an urgent care or something. unprecedented "pain so ??? that it's causing nausea" reminds me of the time one of my friends had a torsed ovary. she tried to walk it off; ended up needing surgery to remove the rotting ovary

here's a page by Yale Medicine, they do say "severe pain" but also clarify that differing pain thresholds can screw with it

Hopefully I'm just making unwarranted connections, but if it doesn't get better soon, definitely see someone about it

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

teen witch posted:

Please if you start to feel shivery or hot, or weirdly frightened out of nowhere, please go to urgent care.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

RC and Moon Pie posted:

You can encourage it by going out in public wearing sheer white pants or a skirt.

As a period-haver, I have never owned a pair of white pants. I'm pretty sure I had some when I was a kid, but that's it.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
If it happens again I might. It comes in like weird waves.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Finally got my arse in gear and booked a phone appointment on friday to talk about taking the arm implant out. poo poo isn't working.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

YeahTubaMike posted:

As a period-haver, I have never owned a pair of white pants. I'm pretty sure I had some when I was a kid, but that's it.

I remember owning khakis at one time...

Then I got smart about periods and light colored pants.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I bought a ton of white underwear specifically to ice-dye with reds and purples. The last time I wore khakis was about 15 years ago.

This period took for loving ever to show up. Had bad cramps and the weepy panic nonstop all weekend. poo poo, that stupid "Wrecked" imagine dragons song had me sobbing at work like I just lost a winning lottery ticket.

Is menopause going to be like this?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

There is always more and it is always worse.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

I bought a ton of white underwear specifically to ice-dye with reds and purples. The last time I wore khakis was about 15 years ago.

This period took for loving ever to show up. Had bad cramps and the weepy panic nonstop all weekend. poo poo, that stupid "Wrecked" imagine dragons song had me sobbing at work like I just lost a winning lottery ticket.

Is menopause going to be like this?

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, it's different but also unpleasant. I'm fortunate in that my poo poo was treatable with supplements and Paxil (and bananas!) but it can get very bad for some women, just as periods do. At least the night-time hot flashes are regular enough that I know what to do and how quickly it will be over.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Period is starting tonight. I realized it because my uterus started emitting this sharp stabbing pain but it was strictly localized to the right hand side of the mound. I took some ibuprofen and it stopped.

Is this a symptom of fibroids or something or is it standard menstrual pain?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Period started last night and I had a dream about hr giger aliens and a chest burster.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I couldn’t tell you what I dreamt about but the Red Sea is having it rn

an angry penguin
Oct 12, 2007

I was searching for a birth control thread but I guess it doesn't exist anymore, so uh, hi menstruation thread.

I had a Nexplanon stuck in my arm back in January 2020 and it gave me the gift of only one period all year, which ruled. That looked to be continuing until a couple of months ago. I've had like 4 or 5 periods since September, with really bad cramps. Why have I gone from not having periods to this? I can still feel the implant in my arm, so it's not like it's migrated to my leg or anything. Is this normal?

I am not happy :argh:

AbstractBlacksmith
Mar 26, 2013
I apparently talked poo poo about my uterus, as I have been looking into removing it. In retaliation, my period started early and I’m doing a surprise load of laundry. See, this is why I wanna get rid of you!

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Nexplanon period buddies! Kind of. I'm on my second implant, on my first I basically stopped having periods until a few months before it was due to be replaced. I got it swapped out early with the assumption that my weight may have impacted... how quickly the hormones ran out??? I don't know if this is a real thing and didn't actually ask my doctor, I just did it anyway. The replacement went back to working the way my old one had until a couple months ago, when I started getting spotting culminating in a weird brown period this month. Since I've only had it for a year I have to assume it's just environmental factors like age and stress.

Since you're at around the 2 year mark I assume it's not due to be replaced until the end of next year, so that probably isn't it. Did you get vaccinated around that time? The vaccine hosed with some people's periods.

an angry penguin
Oct 12, 2007

Stress etc. was not something that I had even thought of.

I'd heard about the vaccine affecting periods. I had my second vax dose in late May (and booster just a few days ago), so it seems unlikely that's happened in my case.

If this is still going on after the holiday season, I'll probably see if I can speak to someone at the clinic about it, just to make sure it's nothing to be worried about (... though I highly doubt that).

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Facebook Aunt posted:

Crossposting this into the RLM thread IRT Star Wars thank you

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

an angry penguin posted:

Stress etc. was not something that I had even thought of.

I recently moved to a different province, my wedding that was supposed to be extremely low key became A Big Thing without my say so, and my Mirena mild mannered uterus threw a 2 week long rager in response. Stress is terrible and how our bodies deal with it is worse.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Hey, people who have had children: what's something you wish you had gotten at a baby shower that no one ever thinks to ask for before actually having a baby? Or what you wish you had gotten more of? My usual gift for baby showers always includes onesies and diapers for 6-and 9-month olds cuz you never know when the baby is going to hit that size. I'm open to suggestions. (I already bought the main gift, a playpen.)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Hey, people who have had children: what's something you wish you had gotten at a baby shower that no one ever thinks to ask for before actually having a baby? Or what you wish you had gotten more of? My usual gift for baby showers always includes onesies and diapers for 6-and 9-month olds cuz you never know when the baby is going to hit that size. I'm open to suggestions. (I already bought the main gift, a playpen.)

I have not had a baby but I asked this question once and was told to buy my sister one of those donut inflatable cushion things that people use for piles. I gave it to her and she was puzzled, then after baby came she texted me how completely happy she was to have one. So - maybe one of those.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

drat, that's good advice

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

I gave a mom-to-be a movie theater giftcard back in 2018. For the nights where they get can away from their kid.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
I wish I had more stuff for the kiddo as they got older. Everyone wants to buy a cute tiny newborn outfit but it would have been nice to get the toddler snow pants or later stage car seat (if not convertible). You get more bang for your buck because they use it for more than two months.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Some kind of white noise machine.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

You've gotten awesome responses so far. I'd add: more crib sheets (sooo many more than expected), sleep sacks (again, sooo many more!!), a fluffy (not cute) robe and/or jammies for mom, and if she is breastfeeding (and you are close enough this isn't awkward):those bra inserts for leaking. Because leaking becomes a fact of life and milk dripping down your stomach is loving terrible.

I had a spit up and peeing out of the diaper crazed child. Laundry was way more than necessary due to a lack of overnight stuff.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
There's a parenting thread in A/T where you'll probably get a lot more answers.

Can't go wrong with grubhub gift cards imo

bubblebee
Jan 6, 2014
I was drinking a blue drink mix (sonic or something), it was a water additive.

So turns out it made my poo poo green. Okay cool.

The fun part is that I didn’t realize it made my poo poo green until I went to go wipe while I was on my period.

Yo, I had Christmas in my panties.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Violet_Sky posted:

I gave a mom-to-be a movie theater giftcard back in 2018. For the nights where they get can away from their kid.

I don't know if this is a joke or not but this is what the people (all childless) at my husband's office got us when we had our kid...and it was in 2018. Do you work with my husband or was there a website advocating this as a tip? Three years later and we haven't been able to use it. I don't know what the hell they thought we were going to do with it. I wonder if it's still good.

What was actually a wonderful thing I got, not as a baby shower gift but as an a gift the day after I had the baby, was a big delivery of fruits from my husbands grandmother. It's not something really discussed before delivery, but man oh man your body gets hosed up in ways you didn't anticipate. You sweat like loving crazy at when you sleep getting all the extra liquid out of your body. You got to change the sheets everyday as well because of how much you sweat. So the fruit was a great way to get some of that liquid/minerals/vitamins back into your body. I felt a lot better and evidently his grandmother sends a big fruit basket to all the women in his family when they have children, so that's some old timey grandma wisdom for you and yours.

If you can't arrange a fruit basket get some big cozy sack blankets like the ones here - https://www.bestproducts.com/parenting/baby/g1229/stroller-blankets-for-baby/
Winter is upon and it's very important for the little ones to be bundled up. I preferred the ones that are like sleeping bags. They'll need a couple because little babies spit up a lot and one of everything is almost always covered in regurgitated milk.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
I always get them a poo poo ton of batteries in different sizes, because there's always gonna be One Thing your kid wants that requires them (childless, but bestie had 3)

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

One piece of advice I’ve followed before: if they already have a child, get a small gift for that kid alongside the baby gift. It’s easy for the older one to have some fear or just jealousy that a baby that’s not even here yet is getting all the attention and they’re getting left behind or forgotten or replaced.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Bibliotechno Music posted:

One piece of advice I’ve followed before: if they already have a child, get a small gift for that kid alongside the baby gift. It’s easy for the older one to have some fear or just jealousy that a baby that’s not even here yet is getting all the attention and they’re getting left behind or forgotten or replaced.

It's their first kid, but I like this idea a lot, it's very sweet. There are usually kids at baby showers in my family, so maybe a bunch of little goodies to hand out during a lull would be good.

These are great suggestions, thanks everyone!

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

an angry penguin posted:

I was searching for a birth control thread but I guess it doesn't exist anymore, so uh, hi menstruation thread.

I had a Nexplanon stuck in my arm back in January 2020 and it gave me the gift of only one period all year, which ruled. That looked to be continuing until a couple of months ago. I've had like 4 or 5 periods since September, with really bad cramps. Why have I gone from not having periods to this? I can still feel the implant in my arm, so it's not like it's migrated to my leg or anything. Is this normal?

I am not happy :argh:

Yeah unfortunately that's 100% normal for the implant. I only get about 6 months of no periods after its replaced. It's still working, whether you have the periods or not, so don't worry about that part at least!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Oh god yes this. My mom did this for me when she had my brother, and I did it for the kids I nannied for when their younger siblings came along. Also did it for my nephew; he was about 9 when his half brother was born. He was the first grandbaby in the family so was spoiled nonstop, and then his stepmom had a baby, and all the attention flew to baby.

I think I sent him a Lego set when I sent some blankets for the baby, and his stepmom texted me to thank me, saying I was the only extended family member who had done so, that most everyone else was too busy loving on the new baby, and it made nephew feel super important that he got a Big Brother gift, and it was something the baby could not play with at all.

I second batteries of all sizes as well: some time before Toys R Us went down, I found several clearance remote control piranha cars, and bought one for every kid in the family, and family friends' kids, and made sure to pick up batteries for each one, so there was no way the parents could "oh no hunny we need batteries we can't play with it now." Aunt Cowslips is gonna see some light up loving piranha cars, damnit!

For new parents, you can never have enough cleanup burp cloths.