Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Akuma posted:

extremely

Youtube Premium is obscenely expensive for what it is so this is pretty great!

I have no problem paying for youtube premium because I loving hate commercials. There was no better investment in my sanity than being able to avoid political ads last fall when all I needed to do was figure out where the gently caress do I access that bolt on my 4Runner or solve some other minor problem. Regardless gonna try to see if this works for me too, because I'm not mad about saving money and letting Xbox stay winning.

Also just remembered I've been asked to help a couple of folks out with the GPU conversion trick and since I'm never on the front line of minmaxing costs of things like some people is that the best way to get 3 years of Ultimate.

highme fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

ymgve posted:

I'm considering getting a cheap Series S, but I already own an OG Xbox One - are there any Series S enhancments to backwards compatible titles, or is that all Series X?

Most of the fps boosts carry over, with a few exceptions. Games optimised for the One X won't have the same upgrades though.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

highme posted:

I have no problem paying for youtube premium because I loving hate commercials. There was no better investment in my sanity than being able to avoid political ads last fall when all I needed to do was figure out where the gently caress do I access that bolt on my 4Runner or solve some other minor problem. Regardless gonna try to see if this works for me too, because I'm not mad about saving money.

On the one hand, giving money to Google? Yuck. But they are all about ads so paying to avoid them might be a okay-ish move.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

ymgve posted:

I'm considering getting a cheap Series S, but I already own an OG Xbox One - are there any Series S enhancments to backwards compatible titles, or is that all Series X?

There's a list here of what FPS Boost games work on each system:
https://majornelson.com/fpsboost/

The vast majority get a boost on the Series S, but not all.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Exo One puts me into an absolutely delightful headspace. Worth a download.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Get Xbox in cart at Walmart, card denied over and over for no apparent reason.

Get a happy little ~security alert~ confirmation text from the bank several minutes later, after they're all sold out.

Sure glad you had my back there, bank. Can't imagine anyone spending a few hundred dollars around black friday.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Worth keeping in mind also that if you’re going to a series s, you’ll lose 4K on a few back compat titles as well

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Worth keeping in mind also that if you’re going to a series s, you’ll lose 4K on a few back compat titles as well

Is that because of lack of discs or are there other titles that simply don't work on the S for weird reasons?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Professor Beetus posted:

Is that because of lack of discs or are there other titles that simply don't work on the S for weird reasons?

No they’ll run fine but if they got a One X patch to run at 4K, it won’t apply to the Series S, only the Series X.

360/One games generally run at 720p/1080p max on the Series S.

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

I was reading that thread earlier and just dying laughing. Guys outright calling this a scam and poo poo. Like is a whale-targeted cosmetic cash shop scummy? Sure. Are the prices ridiculous? Absolutely. But at the end of the day it’s a free to play game with a purely cosmetic cash shop.

Even the $10 battle pass gives you a poo poo ton of cosmetics to unlock, just not everything.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

360/One games generally run at 720p/1080p max on the Series S.
I don't think this is true, 360 games that run at 720p can get bumped to 1440p on a Series S (like OG Xbox games at 480 also get bumped to 1440) they're not in the same boat as Xbox One games which do use the One S versions on Series S vs the One X versions on Series X (fps boost etc not withstanding.)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oh poo poo right, thanks. Glad to be wrong on that one

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

As a lowly Series S haver my resolution honour will not be besmirched by the likes of you

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Considering my TV is just 1080p and I have no intentions to upgrade that for a while yet, the Series S is perfect for me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The list of games that support 120fps is way bigger than I expected. Maybe I'll finally get some use out of that TV I bought last year with a 120hz panel.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

fridge corn posted:

Xbox stays winning
They reported it because they couldn't handle the truth, lol.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

External Organs posted:

Exo One puts me into an absolutely delightful headspace. Worth a download.

Is there anything to this game beside fly to the next glowing light? Rolling around is pretty fun but then I got to the water planet and got pretty bored.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

GigaPeon posted:

Is there anything to this game beside fly to the next glowing light? Rolling around is pretty fun but then I got to the water planet and got pretty bored.

I feel like it has puzzles, kind of. I'm stuck on woods planet currently.

It does have a story but it's hard for me to parse, which I don't mind actually.

Many of the cheevos have to do with Being Fast so I guess there's a time trial aspect to it if you want to go in that direction.

I want a Sonic game with these controls and a few other things. I think that would kick rear end.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Someone let me know when you can buy Otogi. I want to try it

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
The only downside to my Series S purchase is the immediate hype and disappointment I feel when I see good physical deals.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
if xbox series x is so great then wheres xbox series y

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Seltzer posted:

Someone let me know when you can buy Otogi. I want to try it

The digital purchase for it works now.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

elf help book posted:

I got some Hot Pockets recently and they were smaller than I remembered, then the next time I saw them in a store I saw they also sell big ones now. Everything's going to poo poo.

they did this with bacon like 40 years ago. "thick cut" bacon was just "bacon" in the 1960s. tl;dr: gently caress you

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
hm mortal shell on gamepass isnt recognizing my ps4 controller

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Relin posted:

Play halo instead

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Real hurthling! posted:

Play halo instead

I ALREADY AM GET OFF MY BACK

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Relin posted:

Most games won't. The PS4 controller doesn't have a native xinput driver, so you typically have to find a custom one.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I use a dongle that makes it read like a 360 pad but some indie devs manage to gently caress that up so i use ds4windows in that case, but some indies really gently caress it up and break all controllers like artful escape lol. That game sucks in general but especially on a keyboard like a goober

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Pobrecito posted:

I was reading that thread earlier and just dying laughing. Guys outright calling this a scam and poo poo. Like is a whale-targeted cosmetic cash shop scummy? Sure. Are the prices ridiculous? Absolutely. But at the end of the day it’s a free to play game with a purely cosmetic cash shop.

Even the $10 battle pass gives you a poo poo ton of cosmetics to unlock, just not everything.

Look I don't love modern video game business models, but this is the only way that you'll get a good Halo game that receives content updates for years rather than weeks.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

BoosterDuck posted:

if xbox series x is so great then wheres xbox series y

Series Y will be the mid-gen upgrade.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mortal Shell good

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the thing about the halo battle pass is that it seems to me like even if I ponied up the :10bux: the progression would still be miserably slow and unsatisfying so why even bother

Augus fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Nov 23, 2021

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I bought it because I'm going to be playing a shitload of Halo so I don't really mind it taking ten thousand years to unlock a different robot voice

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fps cosmetics are pretty skippable

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Real hurthling! posted:

Fps cosmetics are pretty skippable

It's especially funny that all this discourse is happening over Halo, the game with extremely fun mechanics and where every character looks basically exactly the same except for a coat of paint on the armor.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

can you get double jump in Halo Inf

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Probably in the campaign yeah.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

can you get double jump in Halo Inf

A grappling hook is like a double jump.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The repulsor is actually the real double jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Based on the current feedback, I can't see the progression staying exactly as-is in between now and May when this season ends. I would imagine they will curtail the ultra-specific challenges (Destroy 3 Banshees which are only available sporadically in a handful of modes/maps) since this really is the main sticking point.

I'd rather have a 'Get 50 Headshots' than 'Destroy 3 Banshees' because the former is so much more in my control.