Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Are unbalanced TRS cables supposed to be less noisy than unbalanced RCA?

What about unbalanced XLR/XLR from an adaptor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I think it only matters over long distances

Edit but no it’s two wires in a ts and two wires in a rca. Same same

Trs means tip ring sleeve so you have a grounding line

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

It mattered a ton for my monitors, but they're 8". They pick up hum like crazy without balanced wires.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Brief microphone question.

I want a mic for home that can pick up some of my nice vocal features which show up on the lower end of things. Live, a Shure 87a picks these vocal nice bits up, but that's in a big delicious room with a full sound set up.

I have about $170. Should I just get an 87a? I was looking at condensers, but my room isn't treated and they would probably pick up some background noise.

EDIT: I've got an SM57 and an NT-USB. These aren't really vocal mics, but they aren't picking up what I want.

ThePopeOfFun fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 10, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Brief microphone question.

I want a mic for home that can pick up some of my nice vocal features which show up on the lower end of things. Live, a Shure 87a picks these vocal nice bits up, but that's in a big delicious room with a full sound set up.

I have about $170. Should I just get an 87a? I was looking at condensers, but my room isn't treated and they would probably pick up some background noise.

EDIT: I've got an SM57 and an NT-USB. These aren't really vocal mics, but they aren't picking up what I want.

Maybe try one of the basic AT condensers? Like the 2020 or 2035?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Maybe try one of the basic AT condensers? Like the 2020 or 2035?

I have a 2035 for some vocal stuff, just messing around at home, and it sounds pretty good to me. I picked up one from Amazon Warehouse that had damaged packaging but was otherwise new, and I think it was around $130. There looks to be one for around that price on the Warehouse now, and AT2020s for less.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I have a lot of room noise, which worries me a bit. Is a condenser going to be better?

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Probably worse if compared to dynamics. Condensers are very sensitive mics. What kind of noise are you dealing with?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Weird BIAS posted:

Probably worse if compared to dynamics. Condensers are very sensitive mics. What kind of noise are you dealing with?

Neighborhood road noise, sirens, two very thin windows, etc. I don't NEED clean recordings. Basically babby's first studio here. I really just need a mic that lets the good parts of my voice shine, and I'm not sure which one that is.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

Some things to keep in mind: 1. use the rejection of your mic to your advantage, have it's rejection pointed to the most likely source of noise while recording. 2. consider getting a reflection filter for behind the mic as some of those can really help there, won't eliminate it but it can lower sounds behind it further.

Now for mics lately for vocals I'm on a dynamic and ribbon kick myself so I'd suggest those but honestly you sound like you want a condenser. I'd probably say if you like the Beta87, use it. The only thing to consider is since it's supercardiod pattern it would be good to have a reflection filter behind it, but it'll reject better on the backsides than a cardiod and might benefit your setup.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Weird BIAS posted:

you sound like you want a condenser.

Are you saying this based on what I'm looking for? I don't know enough to know what I want. I have it in my head that condensers = good lower end vocal details.

Weird BIAS posted:

Some things to keep in mind: 1. use the rejection of your mic to your advantage, have it's rejection pointed to the most likely source of noise while recording. 2. consider getting a reflection filter for behind the mic as some of those can really help there, won't eliminate it but it can lower sounds behind it further.

I'd probably say if you like the Beta87, use it. The only thing to consider is since it's supercardiod pattern it would be good to have a reflection filter behind it, but it'll reject better on the backsides than a cardiod and might benefit your setup.

Thanks for the deets here. Super helpful! I will probably end up ordering and returning to settle on something I like.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

I mean it’s hard to say. If you like a beta 87, well that’s a good condenser designed for live applications but would work for recording. Condensers are usually associated with sounding a little brighter (compared mostly to ribbons, dynamics being their own thing too) but we’re making generalizations about thousands of mics. The NT USB is a condenser but not an amazing one. It also could well be that something about the live setup makes that mic work independently of the mic itself.

Ultimately trial and error is still going to be a big part of this so it’s worth trying another mic to see what works. I change my mind on mics depending on mood and the project.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
How do I finishing songs?

I am god awful at finishing songs. I've learned so much about music production and Ableton the last 6 months, but I keep all my songs in a permanent state of Work In Progress.

Is there a sort of checklist of best practices?

Should midi tracks always be recorded to audio?
Do I consolidate all midi and audio clips before or after?
Should audio always be re-recorded with the plugins?
Should I freeze all tracks?
Should the kick drum and bass instruments always be separate tracks set to mono?
Usually I start arrangements on bar 17, should I move everything to bar 1 or 2 or 3 before exporting?

Kinda hate that I have these high standards for myself, even for "demo" tracks for SoundCloud. Please help me get over myself.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

what am I doing with my life

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cabbages and Kings posted:

what am I doing with my life

living right, looks like

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Ok Comboomer posted:

living right, looks like

the funny thing is that IIRC my dad charged me $2 a pop for these back in 1990 which was his cost for the Gold

if that's correct then adjusted for inflation getting 5 for $28 is similar

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

ProperCoochie posted:

How do I finishing songs?

I am god awful at finishing songs. I've learned so much about music production and Ableton the last 6 months, but I keep all my songs in a permanent state of Work In Progress.

Is there a sort of checklist of best practices?

Should midi tracks always be recorded to audio?
Do I consolidate all midi and audio clips before or after?
Should audio always be re-recorded with the plugins?
Should I freeze all tracks?
Should the kick drum and bass instruments always be separate tracks set to mono?
Usually I start arrangements on bar 17, should I move everything to bar 1 or 2 or 3 before exporting?

Kinda hate that I have these high standards for myself, even for "demo" tracks for SoundCloud. Please help me get over myself.

The first of anything in any creative process you produce is going to be garbage, accept it, hit publish and move on to get it out of your system.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Yeah I just mess around with something for a while and if I don't finish it by the time I get bored with it I slap an ending on it post and move on. Not like it matters.

I can always come back to it if I want to.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Basically just get it out there - publish what you make to an audience that you can, whatever that looks like - and eventually the process of doing that will help you figure out more about how you want to and can do so with regard to your own workflow. Also if you're like me you might just publish poo poo and label it WIP like it's part of the drat track title and it stays that way for months or more, and you still might go back and do more to it and that's also fine. It's 2021, poo poo is weird, do your own thing with gusto in ways that make you feel good and :justpost: that stuff!

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Is this the right thread to ask about active monitor white noise issues?

I have Kali LP6, Motu M2 interface, and balanced hosa tsr->xlr cables. Speakers make noise even without any audio cables though. It's intolerable at 4ft.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Get nice power strip, and plug only the speakers into it. Ideally on it's own circuit, but just the strip should help.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Pokey Araya posted:

Get nice power strip, and plug only the speakers into it. Ideally on it's own circuit, but just the strip should help.

I have a supposedly musician-oriented power strip that appears to make no difference. I tried different power outlets too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002D017M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

is the gain cranked on the speakers themselves? i keep my JBLs at 80% for that reason, and it's still loud enough that i can keep my mixer low enough to not add much noise either.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

CaptainViolence posted:

is the gain cranked on the speakers themselves? i keep my JBLs at 80% for that reason, and it's still loud enough that i can keep my mixer low enough to not add much noise either.

I tried setting the gain just above -inf, and it made no difference in the noise. I also tried a bunch of dip switch configurations, moving them around the house, and even turning off wifi.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I just got a shiny new KORG Wavestate, and it kind of sucks that the usb midi connection is not talking to my computer, apparently this is an issue that KORG is aware of but hasn't rolled out a fix for. Not a dealbreaker, since I can just use audio cables and still get the Wavestate output into Reason. Has this been a issue for KORG gear?
Ps: The Wavestate is pretty great, they keyboard is incredibly nice to play.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

DreadUnknown posted:

I just got a shiny new KORG Wavestate, and it kind of sucks that the usb midi connection is not talking to my computer, apparently this is an issue that KORG is aware of but hasn't rolled out a fix for. Not a dealbreaker, since I can just use audio cables and still get the Wavestate output into Reason. Has this been a issue for KORG gear?

KORG is pretty good about doing right by their customers, I’m sure a fix will be rolled out in time. Maybe just stay in contact with their customer service people.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

pokie posted:

I tried setting the gain just above -inf, and it made no difference in the noise. I also tried a bunch of dip switch configurations, moving them around the house, and even turning off wifi.

huh, that sounds like maybe something is wrong with the speakers themselves, especially if it's happening with nothing plugged into them. at this point i'd try returning them for another set and hope that fixes it :shrug:

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Ok Comboomer posted:

KORG is pretty good about doing right by their customers, I’m sure a fix will be rolled out in time. Maybe just stay in contact with their customer service people.

Oh Im an old crusty former radio production person, I'll be routing everything through a mixing board so its not a big deal.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Could someone recommend a way to select a decent quality active monitor?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

pokie posted:

Define “decent quality”

Do you have a budget? A location/use case? A listening distance (nearfield vs midfield, etc)? A genre of audio that you’re gonna be working with?

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

DreadUnknown posted:

Ps: The Wavestate is pretty great, they keyboard is incredibly nice to play.

New Korg synths are pretty awesome.
Did you download the Korg drivers? I think there's a specific separate MIDI driver, and different models I think sometimes have their own drivers.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Ok Comboomer posted:

Define “decent quality”

Do you have a budget? A location/use case? A listening distance (nearfield vs midfield, etc)? A genre of audio that you’re gonna be working with?

“decent quality” - something that doesn't have an audible hiss at 4ft listening distance. Likely room dimensions about 12x12 feet. Budget - let's say under $1600. My use case is twofold - general speakers for my pc as entertainment center 90% of the time and messing around with an electric guitar via amp emulators. Not really set on genre.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

pokie posted:

“decent quality” - something that doesn't have an audible hiss at 4ft listening distance. Likely room dimensions about 12x12 feet. Budget - let's say under $1600. My use case is twofold - general speakers for my pc as entertainment center 90% of the time and messing around with an electric guitar via amp emulators. Not really set on genre.

Huh, well at that budget your options are pretty much wide open

I’d go with Adams or Genelecs (probs Adam at <$1600 all-in), the biggest that I could afford.

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010

pokie posted:

You haven't yet diagnosed the hiss problem, correct? It seems dubious to spend over a thousand bucks on new monitors if you're still not sure why the ones you have are hissing.

Yamaha HS5 will do what you need and are an industry standard. For your room size they'll provide enough bass without becoming too boomy.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Preggo My Eggo! posted:

You haven't yet diagnosed the hiss problem, correct? It seems dubious to spend over a thousand bucks on new monitors if you're still not sure why the ones you have are hissing.

Yamaha HS5 will do what you need and are an industry standard. For your room size they'll provide enough bass without becoming too boomy.

My only guess is that it's a ground problem since they hiss without input cables. Someone suggested trying different outlets and power strips and that made no difference. Sweetwater rep just said active speakers do this in general. Your point is fair, but I just have no idea what else to do except try other speakers after checking them out at a physical store. If they also don't work out, then it's just not meant to be until I move to a different place.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I need a new desk. Any recommendations? It seems any desks related to music/production have a markup. I'm moving in January so I might try to grab a Black Friday deal.

Need space for a PC, one maybe two monitors. I also want to have my speakers at my ear levels. Might be interested in an L-shaped desk, always thought about getting one.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Do you want your desk to raise/lower?

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

ricecult posted:

New Korg synths are pretty awesome.
Did you download the Korg drivers? I think there's a specific separate MIDI driver, and different models I think sometimes have their own drivers.

Eh its fine apparently the Wavestate only uses the USB midi for controller things and some library stuff which I dont really need anyway.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

pokie posted:

Do you want your desk to raise/lower?

Probably not. Doesn't seem necessary and would be another expense. I can raise/lower my chair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i got an RTA Producer Station for myself this year after ordering one for work last year. it's a beast to put together and took three months to show up because it ships freight and everything's all covid-hosed, but i'm extremely happy with it and it was the cheapest i could find that still seemed solid. i don't look forward to hauling it around when i move out, but i highly recommend it.