Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

PinheadSlim posted:

I love the backburner but I love airblasting people off the side of the cliff on pl_hightower more

Dude, Hightower is the PERFECT map for backburner pyro. Nobody ever checks behind them, and there are dozens of great flank opportunities. Plus, you still get some airpuffs to push people off the cliff.

I really like using the Backscratcher on Hightower, and just run from 1 health/ammo to the next and pick off anyone in the way. Very easy to keep max HP and ammo and score a few picks heading to the next spot.

Combine with a Detonator / Scorch Shot or the jetpack to make it easier to climb or get to Trolldiers - there's a ton of gaps that are unlocked even with the less powerful Scorch Shot.

Just don't cap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

IT'S REAL

https://twitter.com/r_tf2_bot/status/1460548291251347456

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
lol hell yeah

cuttlepuddle
Feb 18, 2013
Hi folks! I have a boring question about hats.

I stopped playing back when they changed how servers work and I've been happy to let my backpack languish, but I just got a swarm of random friend requests which led me to doing some research. I now have the impression that some of my items are probably worth a solid chunk of cash - I have some stranges and cosmetics with footprint Halloween spells on them. Is there a best place to go to to start figuring out what my stupid hats are worth and what the hell I should do with them? Thanks in advance, and apologies if this is the wrong place to ask!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

cuttlepuddle posted:

I stopped playing back when they changed how servers work and I've been happy to let my backpack languish, but I just got a swarm of random friend requests which led me to doing some research. I now have the impression that some of my items are probably worth a solid chunk of cash - I have some stranges and cosmetics with footprint Halloween spells on them. Is there a best place to go to to start figuring out what my stupid hats are worth and what the hell I should do with them? Thanks in advance, and apologies if this is the wrong place to ask!

marketplace.tf should be a reliable place. If you sign in with your Steam account they can fetch your inventory automatically and tell you what items may be worth something.
You can also use the counterpart scrap.tf if you just want to trade your items to scrap/keys.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
God dammit, youtube recs got me nostalgic and now I'm reinstalling TF2 again. The Uncletopia servers still decent?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

girl dick energy posted:

God dammit, youtube recs got me nostalgic and now I'm reinstalling TF2 again. The Uncletopia servers still decent?

Yeah, they are pretty good. It's the only place I play these days.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

cuttlepuddle posted:

Spells are on the rise because they are limited. However, most guides are outdated or don't account for all the variations such as rarity, "post life" glitches and other factors.

You can check your hat/spell combos on marketplace.tf and backpack.tf and go by what sellers are posting them at. Avoid automated sites like scrap, stn, and quicksell because they won't pay extra for spells. There are also spell steam groups and discords that can help with pricing, but you have to be cautious with those because there are dishonest pricers that may lowball you.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Is a gunslinger with Pumpkin Bombs worth anything since minis can’t shoot rockets?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Xander77 posted:

LazyPurple's Feature-Length Clip-Dump

I'm just glad to see he's still around.

Yay that was fun.

A For Effort
Apr 29, 2017

by Azathoth
Does anyone remember a pretty well made montage of gameplay with Queen's Don't Stop Me Now from at least 6 years ago? I can't find it but it was definitely posted here. All of the action matched up with the song lyrics.

A For Effort fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 24, 2021

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

A For Effort posted:

Does anyone remember a pretty well made montage of gameplay with Queen's Don't Stop Me Now from at least 6 years ago? I can't find it but it was definitely posted here. All of the action matched up with the song lyrics.

I remember that. It had a lot of pyro axetinguishing I thought.
Let me check my favourites.

Sorry nope. I thought it was an old tf2 player from days back like JustinTF2 or Eskimo or something like that but I am wrong.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Possibly this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S19GO3Xgz2w

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Oh that is so good. Adding to my faves :) I bet it was this.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
It could have been Carpet too maybe? Was it a pyro compilation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAKp7Efyu_w

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Or, kind of a stretch, this overwatch video? Song starts about 2 mins in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcA3cCQfe3s

A For Effort
Apr 29, 2017

by Azathoth

VideoGames posted:

Oh that is so good. Adding to my faves :) I bet it was this.

That was it, thanks!!

Holy poo poo, it's 10 years old. Can't believe I've been playing this game for 13 years. I remember a comment on that video saying this is the video we will look back on when missing Tf2 in 10 years but it's still going pretty strong. I miss the lost continents.

Defeating foes in battle is classic too and inspired me to main pyro before they nerfed the axe. It seems like there's a lot more competent pyros nowadays though, I don't remember so many being able to reflect and flare that well.

A For Effort fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 24, 2021

panic state
Jun 11, 2019

this one's my favorite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvJRK6FaSD0

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
I miss the good caber days. I managed to snag a strange one shortly before they made it terrible :smith:

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Dieting Hippo posted:

I miss the good caber days. I managed to snag a strange one shortly before they made it terrible :smith:

What a horrible nerf. Absolutely bonkers how poo poo it is these days.

I still maintain that Valve should revert all the Caber changes, but inflict additional self-damage. Ka-boom: Caber is now fixed and usable again.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Jinh posted:

It could have been Carpet too maybe? Was it a pyro compilation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAKp7Efyu_w

RIP axetinguisher
4ever in are hearts

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Otacon posted:

I still maintain that Valve should revert all the Caber changes, but inflict additional self-damage. Ka-boom: Caber is now fixed and usable again.

Hell, I'd be fine if they kept damage as-is, just let it refill via ammo pickups or over time in addition to the spawn locker. Sometimes you can't get back to a spawn locker (looking at you, cp_granary) and it becomes worthless after one hit with the nerfed damage.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Otacon posted:

I’d really just like to see the game stats reverted to basically the 2014 timeframe in general. The latter-day changes to the game were clearly done by csgo devs who didn’t understand tf2 fun.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Dieting Hippo posted:

Hell, I'd be fine if they kept damage as-is, just let it refill via ammo pickups or over time in addition to the spawn locker. Sometimes you can't get back to a spawn locker (looking at you, cp_granary) and it becomes worthless after one hit with the nerfed damage.

It was balanced when it was basically a kamikaze suicide weapon. A last resort to use when the odds look bleak - Predator vs Arnold. It did 35 melee damage, and 100 AOE damage on explode. That 135 damage means it killed 4/9 classes outright, and the 100 AOE damage is a lot towards those four 125HP classes, and still a decent chunk on the other classes. Deemed "unfair" even though the demoman usually died as well, and if he didn't (usually by surfing the jump to avoid fall damage) he had a non-critting melee that only did 35 damage each swing - a major gimp - until he goes back to spawn.

The fact that the self-damage wasn't enough to kill a full HP demoman was an oversight by Valve. The only way you should have been able to survive your own caber is with Ubercharge. I'd even go so far as to say it should have done 225hp self-damage to almost guarantee a dead demoman (unless overhealed)

Instead, they nerfed the explosion so it now does 75 damage (-25.) They buffed the melee-hit portion from 35>55 damage (+20) which can't crit, swings slower, but will still only kill the same 4/9 classes if you hit them. The 75 splash damage typically won't kill anybody. I know it's only a 25 damage reduction, but think about a 125hp Scout that only gets the AOE - he now has 50hp left instead of 25hp. That -25 feels a lot worse when you consider how much HP a light class will typically be missing before thinking "I should find a health pack."

My gods, what a waste of a perfectly good, fun, different weapon.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 24, 2021

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, the classic caber except it does exactly 174 self-damage would be perfect. Then let it recharge with large ammo packs because you'd have to go way out of your way to survive the blast.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
The biggest issue with the current Caber is that it has a bugged explosion radius so that it doesn't even work right a lot of the time unless you crouch when you wack someone with it(as that for some reason fixes the radius causing it to do the proper amount of damage which brings it back to "can one shot a bunch of the light classes" territory), fix that and it's usability would go up by a lot, especially with what was the most fun way to use the Caber, by using it with the Sticky Jumper to frag obnoxious Snipers

Mind you the Caber is still somewhat functional when used with a shield due to both the extra damage from shield bashing plus the fact that it still gets a crit boost from the shields(which also seems to fix the above bug for some reason)

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

drrockso20 posted:

The biggest issue with the current Caber is that it has a bugged explosion radius so that it doesn't even work right a lot of the time unless you crouch when you wack someone with it(as that for some reason fixes the radius causing it to do the proper amount of damage which brings it back to "can one shot a bunch of the light classes" territory), fix that and it's usability would go up by a lot, especially with what was the most fun way to use the Caber, by using it with the Sticky Jumper to frag obnoxious Snipers

Mind you the Caber is still somewhat functional when used with a shield due to both the extra damage from shield bashing plus the fact that it still gets a crit boost from the shields(which also seems to fix the above bug for some reason)

I did not know about this bug - thank you for your post!

Ditocoaf posted:

Yeah, the classic caber except it does exactly 174 self-damage would be perfect. Then let it recharge with large ammo packs because you'd have to go way out of your way to survive the blast.

:yeah:

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Uncletopia has opened more servers in Europe, and weirdly its made the experience worse for me; they already have a fairly limited map list, and now when a map gets voted on that isn't a favourite the server empties pretty quickly so people can play upward on one of the other servers.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

To be fair outside of Upward and Badwater most of the rest of the map selection on Uncletopia ranges from okay at best to horrid at worst since Uncle Dane insists on sticking to only official maps that are in the standard quickplay rotation

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

drrockso20 posted:

To be fair outside of Upward and Badwater most of the rest of the map selection on Uncletopia ranges from okay at best to horrid at worst since Uncle Dane insists on sticking to only official maps that are in the standard quickplay rotation

It's pretty clear that payload is the best game mode. Some 5CP maps are alright, too. I don't get the obsession with koth_suijin, though. If an Uncletopia server isn't on a payload map it's usually on koth_suijin.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Honestly that’s one of the bigger things impairing my enjoyment of tf2 at this point is that it’s basically just badwater and maybe upward, or dustbowl forever.

I love gold rush, I love steel, there’s a bunch of other maps that are fun to play once or twice a night, but at this point that’s basically never going to happen again. :smith:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

explosions have damage falloff based on distance from the explosion. the problem with the caber is that the actual explosion when you hit someone sometimes fails to start directly on the enemy, leading to a tiny amount of damage falloff. which matters because it does almost exactly enough to kill a light class, meaning that even 5 missed points of damage leads to them living. then the explosion sends them flying out of your melee range and they shoot you in the face while you run at them with your pathetic stub of a melee weapon

this doesn't really matter for a charging detonation because the combined shield bash, crit melee and crit explosion damage are plenty to kill someone with

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Variety is the spice of life.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I just queue quickplay, when I want variety I unselect Payload.

Okay so mostly I just end up on Process, but that's a really fun map so it's all good.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Jabor posted:

I just queue quickplay, when I want variety I unselect Payload.

Okay so mostly I just end up on Process, but that's a really fun map so it's all good.

Do bots still infest casual? I've given up on it.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It's pretty clear that payload is the best game mode. Some 5CP maps are alright, too. I don't get the obsession with koth_suijin, though. If an Uncletopia server isn't on a payload map it's usually on koth_suijin.

payload is fine in complete casual gently caress-arounds but for some reason uncletopia attracts a bizarre breed of people who are both extreme sweatlords and refuse to play anything that isn't payload, a combination which absolutely highlights the major flaws with payload as a game mode and especially with the actual official payload maps

payload played by people who are trying really hard, and with teams of 12(and on a server which for obvious reasons attracts a lot of engineer mains), is an awful experience that mostly involves either A:3 heavies riding a payload cart to the end uninterrupted while covered by a blanket of short circuit hadoukens or B: a modern rewrite of the Cask of Amontillado set in BLU's spawn room, featuring the entire RED team as Montresor

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

cock hero flux posted:

payload is fine in complete casual gently caress-arounds but for some reason uncletopia attracts a bizarre breed of people who are both extreme sweatlords and refuse to play anything that isn't payload, a combination which absolutely highlights the major flaws with payload as a game mode and especially with the actual official payload maps

payload played by people who are trying really hard, and with teams of 12(and on a server which for obvious reasons attracts a lot of engineer mains), is an awful experience that mostly involves either A:3 heavies riding a payload cart to the end uninterrupted while covered by a blanket of short circuit hadoukens or B: a modern rewrite of the Cask of Amontillado set in BLU's spawn room, featuring the entire RED team as Montresor

I guess I don't have these experiences very much. :shrug:

You don't actually see all that many engineer players on Uncletopia, at least on the US servers IME. Engineer's one of my top three classes, and I play him quite a bit as the only engineer on my team. It makes sense, though -- playing Engineer on Uncletopia is not easy. People are really good at taking down sentries!

Regarding Engineer stalemates on last -- yeah, they can suck, but that's why the Loch and Load exists. Pair it with the sticky jumper (most maps) or hybrid demoknight (upward last) and you can bully any engineer out of existence from well outside the sentry's range.

Heavies -- just throw piss. Throw a lot of fuckin' piss at heavies. Then shoot them in the head. Sniper is one of my least-played classes, but if there aren't any other pick classes I'll swap and put in some point-and-click adventure time to help my team win.

As a pretty poor team player (voice_enable 0 for life), I feel like these are all solvable problems.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

See I'm of the opinion that 5CP is probably the second worst standard mode in TF2 besides CTF*(at least if you aren't on a server that sets the cap limit to like 300 or something), at least when done with the casual standard of 12v12(it works better with Sixes or Prolander) as you tend to have only two results both incredibly obnoxious; either one team stomps the other into a mudhole and the match is over in like 5 minutes or an endless stalemate that lasts like 35 minutes

Basically when it comes to 12v12 casual the only standard modes that really work to any real degree of consistency are Payload, KOTH, and maybe 3CP

*honestly it would be the simplest thing to fix CTF, simply change the rules so that instead of the current system where there's no time limit but only 3 caps to win, instead there's a time limit and the team with the most caps by the end of the time limit wins, which would encourage people to actually bother playing the objective rather than treat CTF as a glorified TDM mode(while also eliminating the rear end in a top hat Scout behavior of trying to cap 3 times in like 2 minutes to end the map to piss off everyone else)

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

cock hero flux posted:

a modern rewrite of the Cask of Amontillado set in BLU's spawn room, featuring the entire RED team as Montresor

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
5cp casual was absolutely fantastic pre-quickplay, the fact that the round ends incredibly quickly (and then there's a scramble) if teams are too far imbalanced was actually a feature - way better than blue team being camped into their spawn for five whole minutes.

Quickplay ruins that because you just get rolled twice and then have to sit through a map vote, loading screens, and another pre-game timer before getting a shot at playing with more balanced teams.