Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Not sure when eaves did this. The first cancelled incarnation of Star Trek Online maybe? Someone did a render and it's funny how it shares so much with Discovery, with the ring and the bridge on the spine.

CainFortea posted:

Also crossfires are only useful in a fire fight where cover and concealment exist. In space, there's no point to a crossfire and you want to keep hitting the same area anyway.

Hitting a ship from many sides at once can stop you being able to divert power towards a single facing, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Not sure when eaves did this. The first cancelled incarnation of Star Trek Online maybe? Someone did a render and it's funny how it shares so much with Discovery, with the ring and the bridge on the spine.

Hitting a ship from many sides at once can stop you being able to divert power towards a single facing, though.

Like, I actually like most of Eaves' ship designs, despite the rest of the internet hating them but that is just... oof. God, please, no.

MikeJF posted:

One of the ideas that they did play with for a short time was that like a fifth of the saucer on the left and right could separate out and become their own defiant-sized ship, both to carry away civilians and maybe just to drop off somewhere doing a long-term study on something.

Image showing all disconnectable parts in that idea, including the nacelles and impulse engines being replaceable at starbases. Little rows of escape pods there too.

Probert laments this: he didn't learn that they wanted to have the whole saucer come off until after he'd designed it, and he did the best he could but the whole ship design had already been done and it wasn't really that possible to make it work. As it was they did the best they could but I think they still had to make the neck a bit less flowing into the hull than they were intending.

What he'd thought they'd settled on when he finalised the look was that a kind of boomerang would come off the upper front of the saucer.

The Sovvy separation concepts Eaves did don't look as silly as the galaxy, because the hull just becomes a single pointy shape.

Star Trek Online's Enterprise-F leaves a forward chunk on the neck to counterbalance the hull, it's still not great but it's better than the D.

That said, if you really want cool.

Also I'm really hoping the Cerritos has a terrible looking saucer sep.

The Nebula stardrive looks legit badass. The cobra lip on the Galaxy stardrive to accommodate the curve of the saucer looks really doofy on the end of that elongated neck, but on the Nebula it actually works.

The Sovereign's stardrive also looks pretty decent without the saucer, but the Enterprise-F, taking into account it's just a weird design in general that had to be smoothed out through a few re-designs on top of that, just looks odd without the saucer. You can tell that they came up with the saucer separation design LONG afterward.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

DaveKap posted:

BTW Something I wanted to mention from the start of the new season... Discovery takes a massive dump when pooping out Book's ship:
https://i.imgur.com/3kz3Eo5.gifv
Like, there's almost zero room to fit that thing in the hangar the way it's scaled here. It's wild.

It looks like it's clipping through on one end.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The USS Prometheus rules, but there are very tiny warp nacelles on the saucer section, one at the top and one at the bottom, and it just looks ridiculous

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MariusLecter posted:

I saw that too, and I swear it actually is.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Those shadows in the shuttle bay are doing a lot of work in both directions to either disguise that the model is way too big to make it out cleanly, or merely throwing off the perspective of an already hard to parse geometrically ship so that it just LOOKS like it does, because your brain can't handle all the angles.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Collision detection is a thing of the past by the 32nd century.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
They should have had the main section of it come out of the shuttle bay with the 'wing' section trailing behind it and that it just zoops all back into place like it's spreading its wings to take flight once it's clear of Discovery's hull. That would have looked really cool.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Are we not gonna talk about "programmabl mattur" shuttle with suspended in air engines coming to the logical conclusion of its existence - falling apart from a minor fender bender?

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Nov 23, 2021

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

Also, wrt Book's ship being "docked" to DIS.
It's programmable matter, make it melt into discovery's hull and unmelt at the moment of Book transporting onto it.
THAT would look loving cool, be in line with the idea and make overall sense.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Erulisse posted:

Are we not gonna talk about "programmabl mattur" shuttle with suspended in air engines coming to the logical conclusion of its existence - falling apart from a minor fender bender?

That actually kind of bugged me. We've been told that detached nacelles and whatnot are still somehow connected to the ship by far-future space magic. Why did Booker's little shuttle fall apart?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

MariusLecter posted:

Computer... enhance!
https://i.imgur.com/kCV4gJd.gifv

Judging by where the "went through the airlock" glowy bits are and how quickly the far tip shows up in front of the engine...
Yes. It's clipping.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

DaveKap posted:

Computer... enhance!

Judging by where the "went through the airlock" glowy bits are and how quickly the far tip shows up in front of the engine...
Yes. It's clipping.

A SHIP THAT CAN CHANGE SHAPE AT WILL

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

DaveKap posted:

Computer... enhance!

Yes. It's clipping.

lol flagshit show

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

It was a huge mistake not to give the saucer a basic mini-warp drive, even if it can't go that fast.

They could've just had little blue glowies hidden under the part that docks with the neck so they're not normally visible.

Seems like part of how they designed ships then, where in addition to trying to build cool future ship they were also big old nerds trying to build an internal consistency of how it all worked. I can imagine a page in the TNG Technical Manual where it goes on an aside about what would be needed to incorporate a warp drive into the saucer, eventually describing something the scale of the star drive section itself.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DaveKap posted:

Computer... enhance!

Yes. It's clipping.

Lol, I thought it was just a bit of the wing tip but it's much worse :stare:. That's like a good quarter of the drat ship.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

MikeJF posted:

That said, if you really want cool.

Man, the Nebula is one of the coolest ships ever, this just confirms it

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1462835951252779008

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I remember poring through the TNG technical manual when I was in middle school. Wish I still had a copy. :sigh:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Josh Lyman posted:

I remember poring through the TNG technical manual when I was in middle school. Wish I still had a copy. :sigh:

I lived and breathed that book.

Looks like you can still find it on ebay though! It's not gone forever :)

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Barry Foster posted:

I lived and breathed that book.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I actually found the TNG tech manual and another TNG guidebook in the used book section at my local Barnes & Noble, it was great

They have a bunch of TOS guides and such too but that doesn't really interest me. Wonder if there's any actual rare gems in there though!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My trek book of my teen years was the Star Trek Chronology. It was also kinda an episode guide.

I also had the revised encyclopedia which included the final season of ds9.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

My trek book of my teen years was the Star Trek Chronology. It was also kinda an episode guide.

I also had the revised encyclopedia which included the final season of ds9.

Josh Lyman posted:

All of these plus Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise, which I found in an used book store on a family trip. What a fun read.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My dad had all the TOS manuals and blueprints then would add TNG ones every Christmas.

The continuity of geek.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Erulisse posted:

lol flagshit show

Need to work this into a thread title.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

We had the Star Trek Encyclopedia in my house, I think the one that came out pretty early in TNG since I don't recall if the Borg were heavily featured in it, or the Cardies. Still, that was my exposure to Star Trek and we didn't have cable so all I could do was read those books, listen to some "music from" orchestral albums (had lots of sci-fi music, not just Trek) and occasionally see one of the movies.

My only other exposure before I was a teen and had friends that DID have cable and other Trek stuff was the Sega Genesis game Echoes from the Past. That game was hard as balls but it had its own encyclopedia in the game so even though I never beat it I still got to experience enough Trek to know it was something I like

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I have some random tech manual pages from an old 4chan download.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I had all the official tech manuals and big books like the Worlds of the Federation and the Encyclopedia (both original and updated versions)

I also had some of the unofficial stuff like the third party Ships of the Fleets books and some blueprints, some of which you can find at the Star Trek Blueprint Database (I don't know how files that is so am not linking) There are fan ebook continuations of the old fan ship guide books if you love reading that stuff like I do, fair warning some fan designs are ugly as sin lol

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Tars Tarkas posted:

I had all the official tech manuals and big books like the Worlds of the Federation and the Encyclopedia (both original and updated versions)

I also had some of the unofficial stuff like the third party Ships of the Fleets books and some blueprints, some of which you can find at the Star Trek Blueprint Database (I don't know how files that is so am not linking) There are fan ebook continuations of the old fan ship guide books if you love reading that stuff like I do, fair warning some fan designs are ugly as sin lol

Oh, this takes me back.

I remember thumbing through these at the local Crown Books before they went under. Shame I never managed to successfully beg my parents to buy any.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I had (still have, I think) two versions of the ST Encyclopedia, one of which was sent to print just before DS9 season 2 finished shooting as the finale is listed as 'Dominion', which as a Sisters of Mercy fan obviously sounds much cooler than 'The Jem'Hadar'.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

lower decks made it so any time i see a gorn i just think GORN WEDDING?!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Dunno who in here might care about this, but:

https://twitter.com/StarTrekOnPPlus/status/1463540260948742150?s=20

Looks like it's rolling out on P+ in the countries that have it, and on the Pluto TV app in the countries that don't

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cross-Section posted:

Looks like it's rolling out on P+ in the countries that have it, and on the Pluto TV app in the countries that don't

Someone must've explained the concepts of piracy and convenience to them.

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.

Cross-Section posted:

I guess it's better than nothing but lol at the thought of having to tune into to a streaming platform at a designated time to watch a show in tyool 2021 :filez:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Magic Mango posted:

I guess it's better than nothing but lol at the thought of having to tune into to a streaming platform at a designated time to watch a show in tyool 2021 :filez:
Oh is that what Pluto is? Jeez

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Once again this all could have been solved by not making the show a streaming exclusive just to try and inflate subscriber numbers for your lovely streaming service and just, I dunno, actually shown it on the real tv network that far more people have access to.

Like just imagine a Star Trek show that actually got average CBS viewership numbers in tyool 2021.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Like just imagine a Star Trek show that actually got average CBS viewership numbers in tyool 2021.

"...and now imagine all those people HAVE to subscribe to our service! Cha ching!"

-some dipshit paramount suit probably

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

DaveKap posted:

BTW Something I wanted to mention from the start of the new season... Discovery takes a massive dump when pooping out Book's ship:
https://i.imgur.com/3kz3Eo5.gifv
Like, there's almost zero room to fit that thing in the hangar the way it's scaled here. It's wild.

So we've seen the scale of book's ship next to the cast members... where do they fit the massive inner dimension full of turbolifts we saw at the end of season 3?

(easily one of the dumbest fuckin things I've ever seen on television in my 41 years)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

^^^ Edited out: the showers of sparks generated by the little ship's edges running furrows through the shuttlebay walls

Discovery is actually a flying dimensional inversion that can easily carry ships larger than its external appearance

also, the turbolift dimension is just tesseract space with turboshafts running through it

(Kinda like the elevator dimension carrying all the existensial horrors in Cabin in the Woods; it'd be funny if someone could splice that Cabin scene with Discovery turbolift cuts)

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 24, 2021