Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

blue footed boobie posted:

Is it just me or has the shine worn off Poch? Things didn’t go well in his last stretch at spurs, and he managed to lose a one horse race in Ligue 1 last year. Not exactly inspiring stuff.

To my outside eyes Poch always seemed like the type who prefers developing his own group of players than dealing with big superstars, I'm not surprised he's not doing well with giant fully-formed egos like Neymar and Messi.

Whether that makes him right for Man U is an open question, of course. He'd probably have the same problems with guys like Ronaldo and Pogba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1462731349119455236

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

lol lmao

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

:sickos:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

vyelkin posted:

Whether that makes him right for Man U is an open question, of course. He'd probably have the same problems with guys like Ronaldo and Pogba.

Yeah, but neither of them are going to be there much longer

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

lol

tarbrush posted:

Yeah, but neither of them are going to be there much longer

Ronaldo has a 2 year contract sadly

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
They should give United legend Ed ‘Mr. potato’ Woodward the manager job till the end of the season imho

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

To be honest I've never really understood why so many man utd fans were desperate for Woodward to get fired or whatever. He's the Glazers' man and they would just replace him with someone just like him so it wouldn't make a difference.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Gonna bet everything on Steve Bruce being appointed as manager, and then invest the winnings into cabbage futures.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Pochettino would be an excellent appointment for united, he improves players and would have them working hard and in a proper system.

All reasons why he won't get the job through

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

tbh I think Woodward was a shorthand for "not having a clear operating structure or long-term transfer strategy", rather than Suit Man Bad

I don't actually give a poo poo whether he stays or goes as long as he sticks to signing important potato deals rather than trying to bring in Garrincha to play at left-back

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Ed Woodward is going to be the new interim manager

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Considering how much Rio (and other ex-United pundits?) went to bat for Bruce while he was Newcastle manager they deserve him being instated as Ole's successor. They all deserve one another.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
those spurs teams under poch were legitimately excellent and he seemed pretty competent.

i dunno if he had a hand in signing alli and alderwireld and son and so on but regardless they built a world class team where once there was not one.

i dunno wtf happened in paris

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

I'm pretty sure his thing at PSG is that he just has various marquee players thrust upon him, except not in a Shakespearian way

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Poch lost the league last year by 1 point, won two domestic cups and got PSG into the CL semifinals, and this year they're destroying the league as expected. It's not like he's been some abject failure.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I'm pretty sure his thing at PSG is that he just has various marquee players thrust upon him, except not in a Shakespearian way

I think both he and Tuchel are football nerds who find the whole PSG soap opera exhausting.

Quite why Poch then wants to coach Ronaldo and Pogba at United I don't know, but I assume he'd get assurances they were fired into the sun at the earliest opportunity

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

trem_two posted:

Poch lost the league last year by 1 point, won two domestic cups and got PSG into the CL semifinals, and this year they're destroying the league as expected. It's not like he's been some abject failure.

Incorrect, PSG has Juve brain about the CL.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Pogba is almost certainly gone at the end of the year, if not before.

It's somewhat annoying, as I'm pretty sure his style will absolutely suit Spanish football and he'll look like a golden god spraying 60-yard passes around against Grenada, but he gets crowded out of PL games far too often to justify an annual contract argument with Raiola.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Pogba is almost certainly gone at the end of the year, if not before.

It's somewhat annoying, as I'm pretty sure his style will absolutely suit Spanish football and he'll look like a golden god spraying 60-yard passes around against Grenada, but he gets crowded out of PL games far too often to justify an annual contract argument with Raiola.

It's hardly surprising, in absolutely no team has Pogba been a cornerstone of a midfield where he controls and dictates a game or provides any steel. He's a luxury third in a 3 man mid. It's no coincidence his best work at United has been out on the left side when Rashford was out.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

It's hardly surprising, in absolutely no team has Pogba been a cornerstone of a midfield where he controls and dictates a game or provides any steel. He's a luxury third in a 3 man mid. It's no coincidence his best work at United has been out on the left side when Rashford was out.

Eh, I'd say his best time was in front of Matic/Herrera but your point still stands.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

And he’s a prick

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

TheRat posted:

To be honest I've never really understood why so many man utd fans were desperate for Woodward to get fired or whatever. He's the Glazers' man and they would just replace him with someone just like him so it wouldn't make a difference.

i think part of it is the sheer irritation about the guy who structured the glazer takeover being given a position of authority off the back of his financial trickery. it's bad enough that they've turned the club into a pure money-making business, but having woodward in this position really is just rubbing it in

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

also yeah pogba can do completely stupid stuff if given a little bit of time and space, but those are at a very high premium in the contemporary premier league, especially if your name is paulie poggers and you have gigantic shins ready to be kicked

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Bape Culture posted:

And he’s a prick

And he's what?!?!?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i hope pogba goes to juventus and then in about 1-2 years time united table a 100m bid for him

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

tbp posted:

i hope pogba goes to juventus and then in about 1-2 years time united table a 100m bid for him

:hmmyes:

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

all this talk of pogba not being good is crazy, he's a very talented player who doesn't want to work very hard but united are too dumb to build a midfield that can get the best out of their marquee signing

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Bogan Krkic posted:

all this talk of pogba not being good is crazy, he's a very talented player who doesn't want to work very hard but united are too dumb to build a midfield that can get the best out of their marquee signing

I think his key issue is that in any formation United play, the spot he wants is occupied by Fernandes and Fernandes is better than Pogba.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

I think Pogba is slightly better in deeper areas than Bruno, but you're absolutely right that you can't really play the two of them together

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

tarbrush posted:

I think his key issue is that in any formation United play, the spot he wants is occupied by Fernandes and Fernandes is better than Pogba.

So they should sell him and move on - he's too expensive to use as cover for Fernandes.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Andoman posted:

So they should sell him and move on - he's too expensive to use as cover for Fernandes.

He's on a free in the Summer, isn't he?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Mickolution posted:

He's on a free in the Summer, isn't he?

ahahahaha it's true https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/paul-pogba-contract-update-united-22003206

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

How is that a shock to anyone? The Pogba/Raiola contract circus has been exhausting for years now and has been spammed at very regular intervals.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Isn't it pretty un-Raiola like to let his clients leave on free's as he doesn't get a cut of the next transfer sale...if that's even a thing.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

United losing their record signing on a free transfer, twice, is very funny

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Seems like man united are quite bad at this whole signing players thing

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

Isn't it pretty un-Raiola like to let his clients leave on free's as he doesn't get a cut of the next transfer sale...if that's even a thing.

Oh dont you worry about his massive gently caress-off signon fee.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

the sex ghost posted:

Seems like man united are quite bad at this whole signing players thing

Also nobody make any jokes about any historical instances of this happening to my team because they're not funny, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Bogan Krkic posted:

United losing their record signing on a free transfer, twice, is very funny

it's a thing of beauty

edit: i vouch that pogba should go down as the worst prem transfer of all time, and this is a large part of the reason why. £100m for 6 years of largely average performances, and twice letting him leave for no transfer fee. the mind boggles at the ineptitude displayed all round (and no i'm not signing my posts tyvm)

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 23, 2021