Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is the first piece of art I've ever posted online that got a sizable reaction, I posted it on reddit yesterday and it got almost 1000 upvotes :unsmith:

In 2020 I drew this as as a gift for someone who broke up with me the day before I was going to give it to them. Almost everything about it is a homage to something that was important to them so I just kept it and hated it for a while and then recently have been looking at again and thought it was cool

12"x16", mostly colored pencil but the clouds and outlines are acrylic pen

I posted it once before in this thread when I was working on it but it was a very bad photo with terrible lighting and I didn't like it at the time

That's a rough origin story for something lovely -- glad you get to see it in a new light!

Design down on lino and I hope to actually cut it this weekend since it's been like 5 months since the last one. This is Sister Rosetta Tharpe, the godmother of rock and the electric guitar:

This is once again from a photo, this time modified to make it work for a monochrome print. Or at least the print that I feel like I can do -- couldn't find a shading/hatching approach I thought I could pull off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Finished my first painting today. Oils using the Draw Mix Paint method, not sure if anyone has tried it before. I've never really done art before, so pretty surprised by the results I guess.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
drat, that's really nice for a first painting!

I'm deciding that I'm finished with this now:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

WaterIsPoison posted:

Finished my first painting today. Oils using the Draw Mix Paint method, not sure if anyone has tried it before. I've never really done art before, so pretty surprised by the results I guess.

Hot dang :stare:

Claeaus posted:

drat, that's really nice for a first painting!

I'm deciding that I'm finished with this now:

Wanna play this level and/or watch the movie.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

WaterIsPoison posted:

What the gently caress.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

WaterIsPoison posted:

That's fantastic.

I looked at the summary of draw mix paint and honestly that just sounds like how we got taught in my art school / painting classes.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Late night proof of the Sister Rosetta block:

I don't think I have much detailing left to do but the printing itself is still giving me hives.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Made this one as a gift for someone who likes motorcycles:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Tried my hand at acrylics for the first time in awhile.

I went to a pop-up Van Gogh exhibit (it wasn't worth it) and my girlfriend wanted a poster of the Almond Blossoms, but the place only had Starry Night posters. So I tried my hand at making one:

I also made another because I wanted to play with the gold leaf some more and enjoyed trying to paint my plants.

Let me know what you think.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Forgot to post this, made it for my daughter's room.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Crain posted:

Tried my hand at acrylics for the first time in awhile.

I went to a pop-up Van Gogh exhibit (it wasn't worth it) and my girlfriend wanted a poster of the Almond Blossoms, but the place only had Starry Night posters. So I tried my hand at making one:

I also made another because I wanted to play with the gold leaf some more and enjoyed trying to paint my plants.

Let me know what you think.

That's both very nice of you and really well-executed! Immediately made me think of of ukiyo-e cherry blossom prints and as it turns out, Van Gogh was indeed inspired by them.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I decided to see if Inktense pencils could be used to stain wood, and the answer is: hell yeah.

I'm a little disappointed because I very much overdid it and ruined it this piece, but that's the purpose of exploratory projects I guess and now I know when to stop next time. All of the color on the wood is permanent water-soluble ink applied via Ink Pencils and then water-brushed into the wood. It will probably still need a seal when I am done because of overdoing it, but a light application was like a true stain that wouldn't wash or brush off after drying. I don't have much unfinished wood stuff to draw on so I'm not sure what I can do to apply this to another project but it was fun.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

mod note: while this is a NSFW thread, I think we can agree goatse deserves a spoiler

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 25, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I love it sid

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 25, 2021

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thread finally delivering on its nws tag!

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Trabant posted:

Thread finally delivering on its nws tag!

and the description: The Traditional Art Thread: Let's Get Our Hands Dirty

vvvvvv makes sense to me.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 25, 2021

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
I dropped some spoilers in those posts because I think goatse is slightly outside of the spirit of the NWS in the title of the thread. How do you guys feel about it?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sitting Here posted:

I dropped some spoilers in those posts because I think goatse is slightly outside of the spirit of the NWS in the title of the thread. How do you guys feel about it?

I just lurk ITT but I appreciate it :barf:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

ah sorry i just saw the nws in the title v:shobon:v

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Took up acryclic painting last year and have recently switched to watercolor. It all feels very amateurish but there are bits and pieces that are starting to make sense, I think...

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Did some more charcoal

DickButt Shitlord
Oct 14, 2012
Space Golf

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I'm showing at four holiday markets and one holiday popup store, so when I haven't been tearing my hair out printing old stuff (which promptly sold out), I made a few new things

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

dupersaurus posted:

I'm showing at four holiday markets and one holiday popup store, so when I haven't been tearing my hair out printing old stuff (which promptly sold out), I made a few new things

Your prints are just really good, them selling out fast means you can increase the price.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

the pen

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

This is super cool!

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Yeah that is pretty cool!

digital penitence fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 3, 2021

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Goddamn that owns

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

thank you so much :unsmith:

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

That's awesome, I love the linework.

I've been trying to post some in-progress stuff but the attachment option on here doesn't seem to be working. Feh

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Oh, now it works. Hooray (I know the skull and face don't line up perfectly but tough fuckin toenails)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

an egg posted:

thank you so much :unsmith:

Mmmm love that warm little place in the cold surroundings!
Sky's a bit streaky - was your paint a bit dry? If that's the effect you were going for then ignore me because it still looks awesome. I love this. The composition! The snowy trees! The way the focus is tight on the campfire and the little Santas!
Adore it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Zoben posted:

Oh, now it works. Hooray (I know the skull and face don't line up perfectly but tough fuckin toenails)

Mmmmm clean liiiines. Delicious. I would never have seen the misalignment if you hadn't pointed it out FWIW.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Zoben posted:

This is amazing

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Skull face rules!

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Mmmm love that warm little place in the cold surroundings!
Sky's a bit streaky - was your paint a bit dry? If that's the effect you were going for then ignore me because it still looks awesome. I love this. The composition! The snowy trees! The way the focus is tight on the campfire and the little Santas!
Adore it.

I'm assuming you meant to quote my post and not an egg's since (while it is awesome) it doesn't have any campfire or santas :D

Thanks! I bought these weird smooth canvas papers which hardly soaks up the paint at all which is really annoying. The sky looks streaky mostly because I gave up on the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Thanks all :keke:

Another part, it turns into a more surreal look on either side. Trying to do a somewhat less trite/cliche version of an ouroboros for this album cover, but it's hard to come up with new poo poo. I lessened my stance on avoiding skulls, at least for this one, since they're fun to draw and automatically get more attention

Only registered members can see post attachments!