Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

those EARS :swoon:

And yeah it's anyone's guess. Maybe... dachshund?

She is kind of long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Just FYI that dog is adorable.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Definitely do an Embark panel, at least for fun. You will probably be surprised at what it turns up. Most of our mutt's litter mates had it done, and the results are generally aligned (though not identical) so I'd say it's probably a moderate guideline?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Yeah dog dna tests are fun. My little mutt was about what I expected, a bunch of different kinds of terrier with a splash of poodle. I don't put too much stock in the exact breeds (so this set of grandparents was exactly one jack russell and one tenterfield terrier? sure.) but the general idea makes sense.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

WhiteHowler posted:

I think it depends on the dog. Kepler has lots of puzzle toys to tire out his brain, so we stick to fairly straightforward activities to exercise his body: fetch, frisbee, running around the yard like idiots. When he's done, his adrenaline may be up, but before long he flops down on his dog bed, and within minutes he's snoring like a dragon.

Agility sports might be a good way to exercise both body and mind, and as a bonus bond with your dog.

I haven't tried scent games with Kepler yet. Maybe we'll give it a shot now that his general anxiety level has come down a bit.

I think I explained the issue poorly but you are right that not all dogs will show any visible negative effects.

The issue is Fetch simulates part of a natural behavior (which is normally a good thing ) of the dog chasing down prey. Great in as far as it goes, however that natural behavior would be followed by what happens when the dog catches the prey, ie they rip it to pieces, eat it, gnaw on it etc. That second part decompresses the dog and allows for the adrenaline generated in the chase to naturally dissipate. Now that does not happen with a game of fetch unless it is followed immediately by a decompression activity (scent work, enrichment activities, digging etc) and it can take up to 3 days for the adrenaline generated in one game of fetch to leave the dogs system.

Why can this be a problem? I guess one way to think of it is your dog has a bucket labeled arousal. Now its got a little hole in the bottom so arousal does slowly drain away. However if we do not create enough opportunities for the levels to drop or we fill the bucket too quickly the dog may become over aroused which may lead to adverse behaviors (excessive barking, destructive behaviors etc).

Agility is brilliant as you have said, Scent training is amazing (give or take 10 minutes scent work is about the equivalent of a one hour walk in terms of working your dog). Enrichment games are a great help (brain training, digging, find it etc).

Not every dog will react badly to fetch in a visible way and they mostly do enjoy it, but the very important thing is to make sure there is an appropriate outlet immediately afterwards.

hope that helps

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Andoman posted:

I think I explained the issue poorly but you are right that not all dogs will show any visible negative effects.

The issue is Fetch simulates part of a natural behavior (which is normally a good thing ) of the dog chasing down prey. Great in as far as it goes, however that natural behavior would be followed by what happens when the dog catches the prey, ie they rip it to pieces, eat it, gnaw on it etc. That second part decompresses the dog and allows for the adrenaline generated in the chase to naturally dissipate. Now that does not happen with a game of fetch unless it is followed immediately by a decompression activity (scent work, enrichment activities, digging etc) and it can take up to 3 days for the adrenaline generated in one game of fetch to leave the dogs system.

Why can this be a problem? I guess one way to think of it is your dog has a bucket labeled arousal. Now its got a little hole in the bottom so arousal does slowly drain away. However if we do not create enough opportunities for the levels to drop or we fill the bucket too quickly the dog may become over aroused which may lead to adverse behaviors (excessive barking, destructive behaviors etc).

Agility is brilliant as you have said, Scent training is amazing (give or take 10 minutes scent work is about the equivalent of a one hour walk in terms of working your dog). Enrichment games are a great help (brain training, digging, find it etc).

Not every dog will react badly to fetch in a visible way and they mostly do enjoy it, but the very important thing is to make sure there is an appropriate outlet immediately afterwards.

hope that helps

Thank you for explaining, that makes sense.

For all of the dogs I've owned, fetch has always been an outlet for excess energy, and I've never seen it accompanied by anxious or destructive behavior afterward. None of my dogs have had a particularly high prey drive though.

One thing I've noticed is that none of my dogs have been obsessive about the object they're fetching; they're more concerned with fulfilling their role of bringing it back to me. The drive for them isn't the chasing, but the returning -- and praise/treats, of course. All of them have been some flavor of retriever. Two were working dog mixes (aussie and border collie), while the other was half poodle. He was the most chill dog ever though, so definitely an outlier.

When Kepler (my lab/border collie mix) plays fetch or frisbee, he'll go hard for a while, and then get tired and say "nope, I'm done" and stop chasing. He'll usually lay down in the yard and just enjoy being outside for a little while (this is probably him dumping some adrenaline). When it's time to go in, he collapses on his dog bed. I haven't noticed any extra arousal or destructiveness after fetch, even hours later after he's had a nap. I'll keep an eye out for it, now that I know what to look for.

It's good to know this is a common thing for dogs.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I tried some scenting games with Kepler since it's raining too hard to walk or play outside today.

Three very heavy plastic bowls that he can't easily flip over with casual nudging. I started with one bowl and put a small piece of pepperoni (his favorite!) under it to teach him the game.

We quickly graduated to two bowls (with me making it not obvious which one I was hiding the treat under), and he was nailing the right one every time.

When we went up to three he started having trouble with it. By that point I'd touched all the bowls with pepperoni-covered hands though, so I'm not sure if his nose couldn't figure it out, or if he'd just started guessing instead of sniffing. We went back to two, and he got better at it again.

I've read some guides that say you should use non-food scents (the AKC recommends a treated cotton ball in a small glass jar), and treat the dog when they find it.

Even though he wasn't 100% on his first try, Kepler seemed to enjoy it. Although now he's overstimulated and bouncing off the walls, even after a quick walk between rain showers. Maybe pepperoni is his adrenaline trigger.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

A really good non-food scent to train on is gun-oil. or alternatively if you can get your hands on a red kong, then that is also good as it has a unique scent.

The first exercise to do is to train them that indicating the scent equals a reward. There are different ways of doing this but the most effective I have found is to put the scented item in a small bowl the right way up and then reward every time the dog puts its nose in the bowl. After a few try's you can pair this with a command word (I use "search") and the dog will learn to seek out that scent on command.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Does anyone know an illuminating dog collar that's as bright as the sun that takes regular 🔋?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I dunno about collar but I got a glowing harness in the mail

I’ll review it when it arrives

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I've been pretty happy with my rechargeable LED collars. I got 3 different colors so I can tell them apart. I got red, blue and green, and the green is noticeably brighter than the blue, which is noticeably brighter than the red. I'm not really surprised there's some difference but it was more noticeable than I expected.

I mostly use them when camping or when they're running around the yard after dark.

How are you planning to use it?

vvv Those are pretty cool. I got ones that look like regular flat collars with a ring of LEDs in the middle. Mine can also flash instead of being on all the time.

GoodBee fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 18, 2021

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Does anyone know an illuminating dog collar that's as bright as the sun that takes regular 🔋?

We got a red one from petsmart that took little button batteries. I soon got tired of buying little button batteries every month. The red was also pretty spooky with a black dog.

So we got a rechargeable one in blue, which was great until it was misplaced. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B078W5SWXJ?th=1
Then this one to replace it which is also great. It seems to be identical and probably comes from the same factory despite different branding.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07P8YCQ13?th=1

Because of how humans perceive colour and/or the way LEDs are made, the blue and green will always seem brighter than the red or orange.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
We just noticed when trimming our pup's nails that one of them is slightly cracked (probably from them being long and her banging on her crate). Any rough impressions on whether this should be cause for concern or probably will resolve itself? Nothing is bleeding but it is a little splintered.

Nail in question (second from right, shows the hairline crack):

Doggo in question:

We're currently planning to call the vet to see if they can check it out tomorrow, but might just be overbearing dog parents.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Alucard posted:

We just noticed when trimming our pup's nails that one of them is slightly cracked (probably from them being long and her banging on her crate). Any rough impressions on whether this should be cause for concern or probably will resolve itself? Nothing is bleeding but it is a little splintered.

Nail in question (second from right, shows the hairline crack):

Doggo in question:

We're currently planning to call the vet to see if they can check it out tomorrow, but might just be overbearing dog parents.

Does she care about it?

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
No limping or excessive licking, we just weren't certain if it could easily splinter further and lead to a bigger problem then if it's properly trimmed up early on.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Alucard posted:

No limping or excessive licking, we just weren't certain if it could easily splinter further and lead to a bigger problem then if it's properly trimmed up early on.

It doesn't look to be anywhere near the live part of the nail so shouldn't be causing any pain or discomfort. if you are unsure then a nail trim is the way forwards

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
speaking of nail trimming, I'm real salty about these things

I've been clipping dog nails my whole life with regular guillotine clippers, but I heard about these things many years ago and always wanted to get some, because even though I can clip black dog nails just fine, the idea of having a sensor that could tell me where the quick is without me needing to hyperfocus on a paw for 10-15 minutes at a time sounded awesome. Recently I had to replace my clippers so I took the opportunity to get a pair of these.

Unfortunately, the sensor is completely useless. It'll show a green light the entire time no matter where I'm at on the nail and how closed it is, until it gets within a certain distance of the nail, then it's just straight up red no matter what, even when it's on a part of the nail I know for certain is safe. So it's basically a flimsy pair of guillotine clippers with useless electronics shoved inside.

so yeah don't get them

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

That’s rubbish - hope you are getting a refund

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

speaking of nail trimming, I'm real salty about these things

I've been clipping dog nails my whole life with regular guillotine clippers, but I heard about these things many years ago and always wanted to get some, because even though I can clip black dog nails just fine, the idea of having a sensor that could tell me where the quick is without me needing to hyperfocus on a paw for 10-15 minutes at a time sounded awesome. Recently I had to replace my clippers so I took the opportunity to get a pair of these.

Unfortunately, the sensor is completely useless. It'll show a green light the entire time no matter where I'm at on the nail and how closed it is, until it gets within a certain distance of the nail, then it's just straight up red no matter what, even when it's on a part of the nail I know for certain is safe. So it's basically a flimsy pair of guillotine clippers with useless electronics shoved inside.

so yeah don't get them

"Dog's nails turn red when they detect quick!"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I stared at the picture before I started reading. It looks like a hot glue gun that I have and I was uncomfortably trying to imagine how that connects to dog care...

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My dog is 10.5 months now and she has officially...

-stopped eating rocks. She will still swallow anything smaller than a ping pong ball just to figure out what it is, and has probably eaten the equivalent of an old growth oak tree in sticks, but at least rocks are off the menu

-learned to be home alone, a little. She was alone for 2 hours today and didn't seem to mind. She used to self-harm just from losing line-of-sight, so this is really great for everyone. In the past month she's progressed from 15 minutes to 1 hour to now 2 hours :hellyeah:

For reference this was from my first post about separation anxiety and rock-eating back in March when she was 9 weeks old

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Meet this guy on our walk today
I'm pretty sure it's a coyote but it has this perfectly sheered patch like a dog?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Could it be mange?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

Meet this guy on our walk today
I'm pretty sure it's a coyote but it has this perfectly sheered patch like a dog?

It's definitely a coyote

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Stravag posted:

Could it be mange?

That or just shedding.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

acidx posted:

That or just shedding.

That’s some pretty severe shedding

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'd guess mange, or some other skin condition. Poor thing.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

It doesn't look great does it. Are Coyote viewed as pests or are they well regarded? Obviously we don't have them here in the UK so was just curious.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Andoman posted:

It doesn't look great does it. Are Coyote viewed as pests or are they well regarded? Obviously we don't have them here in the UK so was just curious.

They can be seen as pests when they move into urban environments, where they will raid garbage and prey on small dogs and cats. It's really common for Canadian cities, at least, to have populations of urban coyotes, though they keep a low profile and it's fairly uncommon to see them.

They're also interfertile with wolves and dogs, so you definitely get coydogs or coywolves which can further complicate the issue. A coydog, for example, is going to have some of the dog's lack of instinctual fear around humans.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

It depends on area and people. In Texas they kill them then tie the bodies to a fence and let them rot for some reason. Saw a fence that had about 75 bodies strung up like that once

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Is there a written guide/video on recall you’d recommend?

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Stravag posted:

It depends on area and people. In Texas they kill them then tie the bodies to a fence and let them rot for some reason. Saw a fence that had about 75 bodies strung up like that once

That sounds a bit grim. Must stink surely?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Stravag posted:

That seems a disproportionate response, imo.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I didn't get it then and 5 years later i still dont. It was a little ways outside of odessa or one of the other smal towns out that way. Maybe it was some insane warning to other coyotes.

Stravag fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 23, 2021

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Coyotes are considered pests and there's no limit to how many you can kill so people in Texas and Oklahoma role play as call of duty guys and massacre them for funsies. They do the same thing with feral hogs since it's a similar thing legally. That guy was probably showing off to his buddies.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

uncle blog posted:

Is there a written guide/video on recall you’d recommend?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwldfBjFsdE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uTgSr0acBo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcPot4pauBk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pP72u9D2XSw

Stravag posted:

An old farmer "trick" to keep predators away from your stock is to kill them and tie them to fences as a warning to the others. I've seen it recommended for coyotes, foxes, raccoons and crows. It does not actually work but farmers still pass it around as real advice.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Instant Jellyfish posted:

An old farmer "trick" to keep predators away from your stock is to kill them and tie them to fences as a warning to the others. I've seen it recommended for coyotes, foxes, raccoons and crows. It does not actually work but farmers still pass it around as real advice.

I feel like doing this for crows would only lead to the survivor crows murdering (heh) you and your family. Crows are vengeful mofos.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

acidx posted:

Coyotes are considered pests and there's no limit to how many you can kill so people in Texas and Oklahoma role play as call of duty guys and massacre them for funsies. They do the same thing with feral hogs since it's a similar thing legally. That guy was probably showing off to his buddies.

I know someone who's similarly excessive about hunting one local pest species, and in his case it's because he keeps chickens and has lost a number of chickens to a certain predatory pest over the years. He goes hunting mainly for revenge.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Apollo pushing his ball repeatedly under the couch ><

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

My 3 have a cupboard they like to push balls under - pulled 9 of them out from under there yesterday, which was confusing because I didn't know we owned 9 balls.