Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

CyberPingu posted:

Isn't it pretty un-Raiola like to let his clients leave on free's as he doesn't get a cut of the next transfer sale...if that's even a thing.

The reverse, he gets a massive cut of the new contract and he negotiates enormous bonuses for himself on signing. Raiola's clients leaving on frees is very much in his interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

the sex ghost posted:

Also nobody make any jokes about any historical instances of this happening to my team because they're not funny, thanks

Are we still allowed to use the term "doing a Leeds"

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

Also nobody make any jokes about any historical instances of this happening to my team because they're not funny, thanks

*Chuckles in Daniel James*

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Gigi Galli posted:

The reverse, he gets a massive cut of the new contract and he negotiates enormous bonuses for himself on signing. Raiola's clients leaving on frees is very much in his interest.

Fair enough. I thought agents got a cut of the transfer fee too.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

an_mutt posted:

it's a thing of beauty

edit: i vouch that pogba should go down as the worst prem transfer of all time, and this is a large part of the reason why. £100m for 6 years of largely average performances, and twice letting him leave for no transfer fee. the mind boggles at the ineptitude displayed all round (and no i'm not signing my posts tyvm)

Sanchez was worse imo.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Maguire was worse

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Di Maria surely.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

CyberPingu posted:

Maguire was worse

Nah, outside of his complete post-euros meltdown Maguire is a rock solid player and will continue to be once someone screws his head back on. Especially if Varane can stop exploding. Did they overpay? Sure, 80mil was a lot but he would easily have been worth 60mil or whatever.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
the worst transfer ever is now, and will always be, that guy who was literally not even an actual footballer who got a contract with ...southampton...? because he called souness and said he was george weah's brother and you should sign this guy right away

also pogba is probably in the top 5 most talented players i've ever seen and it is kind of tragic he's suck a huge flake

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I think Nicolas Pepe is up there as one of the worst transfers ever. £72m and he's utter garbage.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Pogba just needs more time/space on the ball than he'll ever get in the premier league. He looks amazing for France because international football is a lot slower. Having Kante next to you obviously doesn't hurt, but even when Pogba isn't asked to play in a pivot he gets pressured into losing the ball way too often.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

CyberPingu posted:

Fair enough. I thought agents got a cut of the transfer fee too.

Sometimes they do, but I think more often than not they get a separate agent fee or a cut of the signing bonus, and both of those tend to be significantly larger for free transfers because the signing club have more cash to spend since they don't have to pay a transfer fee. Somebody like Pogba leaving on a free and sparing the signing club a nine-figure transfer fee probably means the agent is gonna get like eight figures as a reward.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

Mickolution posted:

He's on a free in the Summer, isn't he?

Yep so they really need to offload him in the winter window

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

TheRat posted:

Nah, outside of his complete post-euros meltdown Maguire is a rock solid player and will continue to be once someone screws his head back on. Especially if Varane can stop exploding. Did they overpay? Sure, 80mil was a lot but he would easily have been worth 60mil or whatever.

I have to agree that Maguire is usually solid but not £80mil worth of solid - although with PL transfer fees these days £80mil isn't what it used to be.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Part of being good is being consistently good and Pogba’s never been that in a decent league.

In short, he is overrated and, ultimately, shite.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Andoman posted:

I have to agree that Maguire is usually solid but not £80mil worth of solid - although with PL transfer fees these days £80mil isn't what it used to be.

lol he's the most expensive defender of all time

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Andoman posted:

Love2pay a world record fee for a guy who cant marshal a defense.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

CyberPingu posted:

I don't disagree with the sentiment but I don't think he is complete rubbish either. Totally not worth the highest valued defender tag for sure.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
maguire would be great if he had a guy like VVD constantly yelling at him where to go, and glowering angrily at him when he does not

that'd be one expensive backline though, ayeeee

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

If they made him a crossing guard at a school kids would die every day.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

bewbies posted:

maguire would be great if he had a guy like VVD constantly yelling at him where to go, and glowering angrily at him when he does not

that'd be one expensive backline though, ayeeee

The problem is is that they paid the enormous fee for him to be VVD

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

CyberPingu posted:

The problem is is that they paid the enormous fee for him to be VVD

That's ultimately not Maguire's fault. United probably should have figured that getting him meant not being able to do a big stylistic shift from what Mourinho had in mind, but Maguire is good in the right setup and with the right coaching. He was great at Leicester.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Eric Cantonese posted:

That's ultimately not Maguire's fault. United probably should have figured that getting him meant not being able to do a big stylistic shift from what Mourinho had in mind, but Maguire is good in the right setup and with the right coaching. He was great at Leicester.

maybe the success there and the pricetag has gone to his head

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Karl Sharks posted:

maybe the success there and the pricetag has gone to his head

no pricetag is big enough to get to his enormous head

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

CyberPingu posted:

They also almost immediately made him their captain just to make sure nobody else would marshal the defence by yelling at him

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

vyelkin posted:

They also almost immediately made him their captain just to make sure nobody else would marshal the defence by yelling at him

That was a big mistake for sure - its obvious looking at their last few performances that he is not the leader they need on the pitch. That said, they are not over indexing on leadership throughout the rest of the team either.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
maguire is poo poo and anyone who says otherwise is probably his gran's alt account. you could go to la liga or serie A and find ten better central defenders that no one's ever heard of who don't have the turning speed of an aircraft carrier

pogba on the other hand is clearly a baller who just gets played out of position. he absolutely can't hold the ball in midfield to the standard of the premier league. he might suffer from being as tall as he is, i reckon if he was shorter he'd be a winger or an inside forward

EC10 fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 23, 2021

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
neither of them can be considered a worse signing than arsenal's record breaking transfer and inexplicable captain, Xhaka

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

EC10 posted:

neither of them can be considered a worse signing than arsenal's record breaking transfer and inexplicable captain, Xhaka

You make a strong argument - but worst signing in the PL era has to be Titus Bramble, worst centre back ever.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Andoman posted:

You make a strong argument - but worst signing in the PL era has to be Titus Bramble, worst centre back ever.

Bramble doesn’t even come close, he was pretty cheap and played hundreds of times in the PL

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Ninpo is spot on about Pogba. He’s extremely talented, but he’s also a pure luxury player who needs to have two other players in midfield who can carry the water while he does his thing.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I mean if we're talking about failed very big money signings it has to be someone of Di Maria, Nicolas Pepe or maybe an outside shot for Andy Carroll or Fernando Torres at Chelsea

E: Veron I guess works too?

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Feel like Sanchez or maybe Torres are right in the middle of the poo poo signing Venn diagram where the three sectors are cost, expectations and performance ahead of signings like Carroll where he cost a lot, but nobody expected anything of him and he ended up just sort of chugging along

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

EC10 posted:

maguire is poo poo and anyone who says otherwise is probably his gran's alt account. you could go to la liga or serie A and find ten better central defenders that no one's ever heard of who don't have the turning speed of an aircraft carrier

pogba on the other hand is clearly a baller who just gets played out of position. he absolutely can't hold the ball in midfield to the standard of the premier league. he might suffer from being as tall as he is, i reckon if he was shorter he'd be a winger or an inside forward

"just gets played out of position" is bollocks. He's a luxury third in a three man midfield so long as the other two can carry the water for him.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/nov/23/manchester-united-in-talks-with-ernesto-valverde-over-interim-manager-job

"It is understood Valverde has discussed with John Murtough, United’s football director, taking over on a temporary basis, with the club conscious that having worked with Lionel Messi at Barcelona he would be at ease managing Cristiano Ronaldo."

Seems like it would be better to get the long term choice in now so they have a season with no expectations to gel with the team, but instead they're going with a guy they expect to give Ronaldo all the playing time to milk more merchandise money?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't call pogs a luxury per se, he just has a very specific skill-set and is not very useful in roles that don't fully exploit that skill set.

zidane was kind of the same way, and it isn't any coincidence that so many of the great teams he played on tended to be populated with literally the greatest holding midfielders of all time. zidane even knew it too, and appreciated it.

in other words if you want to take advantage of a one dimensional player's game-breaking talent, you have build the rest of the team with that in mind. not Fred, in other words

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

He's the definition of a luxury player. Any time he gets asked to do dirty work it blows up in his face with pens and red cards. He can't do it and he's openly said on TV he's terrible at it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TheRat posted:

He's the definition of a luxury player. Any time he gets asked to do dirty work it blows up in his face with pens and red cards. He can't do it and he's openly said on TV he's terrible at it.

It's this. Last season he gave away 4 of United's 6 conceded penalties or something absurd like that.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

bewbies posted:

I wouldn't call pogs a luxury per se, he just has a very specific skill-set and is not very useful in roles that don't fully exploit that skill set.

zidane was kind of the same way, and it isn't any coincidence that so many of the great teams he played on tended to be populated with literally the greatest holding midfielders of all time. zidane even knew it too, and appreciated it.

in other words if you want to take advantage of a one dimensional player's game-breaking talent, you have build the rest of the team with that in mind. not Fred, in other words

Never Fred that true. I just don't think he is so good that you would want to build a team around him, which to my mind would make him either a luxury or an expensive mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

TheRat posted:

so don't ask him to do the dirty work then? square peg round hole and all that

if you have a player unsuited to a particular tactical role and he keeps failing at that tactical role and you don't either change the system or the player I'd say that's on management, not the player