Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Makita is just unloading its 18V batteries before it drops support for them and exclusively produces 40V tools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

lil poopendorfer posted:

Makita is just unloading its 18V batteries before it drops support for them and exclusively produces 40V tools

Dear God no

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
The only wisdom I can bring to knife fight chat is that you shouldn't let your opponent know you've got a knife until it's in them.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Literally A Person posted:

This knife is like $9 and has lived through my wife's daily use in a forest setting for years at a time and when it breaks....it's 9 dollars to replace. The little thumb nubbin is quite nice too:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003IX11YA/?coliid=I36HUX0606JC0E&colid=LYZTZXH6VBA7&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Please do be careful.

Why does your wife live in a forest? Are you Shrek?

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

stealie72 posted:

Rojo is the real victim here. This got ignored.

The go to these days appears to be "whichever big box house brand has the best sale on the tools you need."

My personal collection is a mash up of a 25 year old craftsman mechanics kit supplemented by kobalt, Stanley, and husky. It all works fine.

HolHorsejob posted:

I've had good luck with Tekton wrenches & sockets. For precision screwdrivers that see a lot of use, Wiha all the way. Hakko flush cutters. Don't know a decent brand for pliers.

deimos posted:

Knipex you philistine.

http://kctoolco.com/

My wallet sends it's regards.

Thanks for seeing through the weird knife chat kind goons.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Mr. Mambold posted:

well its really more of a forest of off road vehicles - buggies as far as the eye can see

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Turns out lots of people have studied the blade ITT.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

FCKGW posted:

Milwaukee makes a nice switchblade called the Fastback, maybe try that

I'll see your fancy Milwaukee and raise you a bargain basement Mastercraft that also locks in this position for no conceivable reason

Only registered members can see post attachments!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mr. Mambold posted:

Also it is very clearly labeled a gentleman's knife.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
The real question is, where do you get good date knife at?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Mr. Mambold posted:

Yes.

But seriously she works as a ranger so she needs a knife quite often for maintenance and trail duties.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Squibbles posted:

I'll see your fancy Milwaukee and raise you a bargain basement Mastercraft that also locks in this position for no conceivable reason

That's so it can defend itself from you

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Sash! posted:

That's so it can defend itself from you

dont bring a knife to a knife knife fight

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

lil poopendorfer posted:

The main reason not to use a knife for self defense is that it’s considered a lethal weapon And your aggressor will have grounds to pull a gun out and kill you
This also applies to skateboards and also if you're holding nothing at all.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Squibbles posted:

Sit down.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I had a college acquaintance who got into a fight/mugged and he pulled a knife in defense. He was separated from the knife, it was used against him and he died on the spot. Whenever I hear people talk about personal defense weapons, my eye twitches because it's such a gamble and escalation is risky. Long before ever considering self defense tools, educate yourself on defensive tactics and like anything, it's all useless without practice.

Back to tool chat, fixed my washing machine the other day and couldn't get the spring over the front gasket back on without the gasket popping off. I spent an hour with various tools and no luck. I ended up taking 15 minutes making a spring spreader tool out of two pieces flat stock steel with a center pivot and some threaded bolts on the end. It looked like a really special pair of scissors but I'll be damned if it didn't work perfectly the first time.

I felt like Einstein and my wife was just kind of like "neat ..."

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Dracula Factory posted:

Stuff
When I went though a police academy one of the trainers was some sort of grand wizard in self defence and knife fighting. I watched like 20 people line up to try to get one hit on this guy with a rubber knife. (if you did, you got out of any "extra calisthenics") Not even one person could touch this dude and all got beat up pretty good for it, made me realize I will never be that dedicated or skilled, and to just use a gun. Maybe I took the wrong lesson from that...

But you never know who or what is on the other end of a confrontation.

Rakeris fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 24, 2021

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Hey thanks for this, I just made my fiance cry again when I told him I bought even more tools.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Hey tools thread. Got a dewalt DCV517 1/2 gal wet/dry 20V vacuum that won’t turn off unless I pull the battery. The switch looks like it’s switching ok when checked with a multimeter. 0-ohms when on, open when switch is off.

The leads to the motor get 19-20V when it’s on, but when I turn it off, the voltage slowly decreases. Same thing happens with different batteries.

No battery:

Battery, switch on:

Battery, switch off:
https://youtu.be/wpq-s6KPysU

Any ideas? Doesn’t look like DeWalt ships a replacement switch, which I’m guessing is more than a switch. Seems like there’s a capacitor that discharges some but it doesn’t really ever discharge below 13V when the switch is off, which is enough to keep the motor on I guess.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost
What tool would you use for self defense? Reciprocating saw?

Angle grinder?

Pneumatic Nail gun?

Powder actuated fastener gun?

Pipe wrench?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Knife Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeench!

Practical AND Safe.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

lil poopendorfer posted:

What tool would you use for self defense?

Give your attacker a harbor freight angle grinder with harbor freight discs and walk away.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

lil poopendorfer posted:

What tool would you use for self defense?

How many posts went by before I posted The Wire? Too many.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N_UuImPL4E

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Verman posted:

Give your attacker a harbor freight angle grinder with harbor freight discs and walk away.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Verman posted:

That's sure to get you a murder rap!

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Verman posted:

:getin:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

lil poopendorfer posted:

Pneumatic Nail gun?

Roger Murtaugh smiles knowingly.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Use yourself or give to the attacker?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Squibbles posted:

That's a beam cutter for timber framing, right? Does it not have an oiler?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Squibbles posted:

I refuse to believe that someone designed this on purpose

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Sash! posted:

These get used for cutting windows et al into SIPP panels. Or at least they did once upon a time.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Oh, look, an Austal employee.

https://www.al.com/news/mobile/2017/02/austal_allowed_use_of_widow_ma.html

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

I hate it when my pipe is ½” too long.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Sash! posted:

It's shown flipped 90 degrees, you use it like a regular circular saw with it resting on the sole and pushing it. It's only somewhat less safe than a circular saw, and that's just due to the amount of blade sticking out past the cut, which you normally try to minimize.

You can see one in use at 13:24.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-hXHlqeNFk

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Mr. Mambold posted:

That's a beam cutter for timber framing, right? Does it not have an oiler?

that and gang cutting rafters. In Larry hauns book he talks about using those and dado circ saws for rafters

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Can you guys recommend a sword? Dealing with light armor only, no plate.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

That Works posted:

Can you guys recommend a sword? Dealing with light armor only, no plate.

Makita is the standard answer around here for cordless but I've heard that Festool is about to come out with a corded model with some excellent splatter cleanup, so if you only have to duel near a power outlet that might be an option.

Avoid the Snap-on poo poo, the installment plan will kill you if the other guy doesn't.

(Comedy option: Harbor Freight)

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

~Coxy posted:

I hate it when my pipe is ½” too long.

hes making crumpet rings

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

tracecomplete posted:

Makita is the standard answer around here for cordless but I've heard that Festool is about to come out with a corded model with some excellent splatter cleanup, so if you only have to duel near a power outlet that might be an option.

Avoid the Snap-on poo poo, the installment plan will kill you if the other guy doesn't.

(Comedy option: Harbor Freight)

Harbor Freight is fine for war hammers and maces, but I wouldn't trust them for something as fine as a sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

everything at harbor freight is a mace or a warhammer if you swing it hard enough