Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/ClistonBrown/st...ingawful.com%2F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

anticipation and lust for 2022: increasing :black101:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

LastInLine posted:

You act like the dems are in favor of those programs. They aren't. There are two parties, both want the same thing but the GOP are twenty years ahead of the dems. They are both moving toward the same outcome, one is not opposition for the other. The GOP has a political project and thus are building the society they want while the dems have a grift and as such have to pretend the political system works to give themselves the air of legitimacy and it is in perpetuating that fiction that the dems normalize the actions of the vanguard GOP.

You can always use the argument that voting for the dems is preferable because they're less bad than the GOP. That's true, they are, but they are not in opposition to it but merely behind it, and voting for them is a vote for the same thing only later because they don't believe in anything different.

It's like getting to choose between stage 4 cancer and stage 1 cancer without having the choice to treat the cancer. If you have to pick one you'd rather it be stage 1 but without any kind of treatment it's obvious how this all ends.

these things take time. dont give up hope and optimism just because one or two elections didnt go the way you wanted it to.

Top Gun Reference
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug

is pepsi ok posted:

Chris Hedges talks are so depressing to listen to. You can tell from the tone of his voice alone that everything he is saying is true and nothing will be done to prevent it.

this interview is one of my earliest crack pings. nearly 10 years old and still relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtSnROYYBgI

Top Gun Reference has issued a correction as of 03:53 on Nov 23, 2021

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

debating on if i should tell the dem canvassers that blow up my phone next year that they have access to my vote but it's means tested, or that i'm writing in hillary clinton on every space on the ballot because "it's her turn"

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

is pepsi ok posted:

Chris Hedges talks are so depressing to listen to. You can tell from the tone of his voice alone that everything he is saying is true and nothing will be done to prevent it.

My favorite response Chris hedges gives to his critics about the bleakness of his work is “I’m not making any of this up.”

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Top Gun Reference posted:

this interview is one of my earliest crack pings. nearly 10 years old and still relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtSnROYYBgI

ive never seen this before but 15 mins in im already jumping up and down on my chair hooting and hollaring. im firing my revolvers into the ceiling and throwing whiskey bottles all over the place. overturning card table, etc.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

LastInLine posted:

You act like the dems are in favor of those programs.

i am not acting like the dems are in favor of those programs lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

MLSM posted:

My favorite response Chris hedges gives to his critics about the bleakness of his work is “I’m not making any of this up.”

I guess he always ends up being right since only a fool could have any real optimism about the future of the US left and also the one party political system.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Smythe posted:

holy poo poo lol

Reminder Ohio Dems are useless https://rooster.substack.com/p/that-time-emilia-sykes-family-sued

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

fart simpson posted:

these things take time. dont give up hope and optimism just because one or two elections didnt go the way you wanted it to.

One or two or every one in any of our lifetimes.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Ohio Dems are good at a few things: stopping left primary challengers, taking money for development deals, inexplicably thinking John Cranley or Richard Cordray appeals to people

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

the democrats are going to get destroyed in 2022

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
inshallah

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Cloks posted:

Ohio Dems are good at a few things: stopping left primary challengers, taking money for development deals, inexplicably thinking John Cranley or Richard Cordray appeals to people

they love talking about national level politics on their county facebook pages over and over

instead of any local issue at all, literally anything

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Wamsutta posted:

Sounds good

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

you should definitely hinge the fate of a democracy on some dweeb named Cliston

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Sylink posted:

they love talking about national level politics on their county facebook pages over and over

instead of any local issue at all, literally anything

one consequence of social media destroying local news is that everyone, including politicians, is way more obsessed with what's happening in DC than what's happening in their own town, which means both that people are more easily polarized because they're fighting their neighbours over national-level culture war stuff instead of things that affect the actual daily life of their neighbourhood, and that it's way easier to win local fights if you're able to actually build your campaign around something local and remind people that the things that affect their daily lives are more important

most recent example of this is the virginia election: mcauliffe was obsessed with national-level Trump stuff, and youngkin successfully mobilized voters around a state-level issue (that he made up, but still), which made mcauliffe look incredibly out of touch

but you also see the same thing with, like nimby movements or local anti-abortion extremists taking over city councils, where small groups are able to win because they actually show up on local issues while everybody else is posting on facebook about how crazy the latest trump tweet was

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Smythe posted:

ive never seen this before but 15 mins in im already jumping up and down on my chair hooting and hollaring. im firing my revolvers into the ceiling and throwing whiskey bottles all over the place. overturning card table, etc.

here’s the short version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ythOLteROK0

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Fame Douglas posted:

You must be a very happy person, then!

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

spiking food prices before a midterm is a recipe for disaster.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

vyelkin posted:

one consequence of social media destroying local news is that everyone, including politicians, is way more obsessed with what's happening in DC than what's happening in their own town, which means both that people are more easily polarized because they're fighting their neighbours over national-level culture war stuff instead of things that affect the actual daily life of their neighbourhood, and that it's way easier to win local fights if you're able to actually build your campaign around something local and remind people that the things that affect their daily lives are more important

most recent example of this is the virginia election: mcauliffe was obsessed with national-level Trump stuff, and youngkin successfully mobilized voters around a state-level issue (that he made up, but still), which made mcauliffe look incredibly out of touch

but you also see the same thing with, like nimby movements or local anti-abortion extremists taking over city councils, where small groups are able to win because they actually show up on local issues while everybody else is posting on facebook about how crazy the latest trump tweet was

this has been a problem for a while. republicans have made taking over local government an explicit project. they run someone for everything. meantime democrats think all they have to do is run for president every four years and that's it. i've lived in "blue cities" and areas where half the races were a republican running uncontested or a republican vs. a libertarian because the local dems didn't even bother to run. this is how you get things like those "kuhrayzee texas textbooks" or the local schoolboard voting on a curriculum that says "slavery was good, actually". in a lot of places, the local democratic party apparatus can be taken over by, like, you and five people showing up every time. that was what obama did in his first run. but the other big motto of the democrats is, of course, never learn anything.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

StratGoatCom posted:

https://twitter.com/nmeyersohn/status/1463167461549879296

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Quoting this so I can give this guy poo poo in a year. Apparently if you say anything left of Reagan he blocks you

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Nothus posted:

https://twitter.com/nmeyersohn/status/1463167461549879296

God Willing.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

StratGoatCom posted:

The Dems will get destroyed because the McRib got a price spike

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Blarghalt posted:

It's called the People's Liberation Army but I haven't seen them doing any liberating lately <:mad:>

my country yearns for freedom, mr. xi

They are currently succeeding at drowning America in its own vanity and corruption. They are going to emerge from this triumphant, or whatever is left of them.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

this has been a problem for a while. republicans have made taking over local government an explicit project. they run someone for everything. meantime democrats think all they have to do is run for president every four years and that's it. i've lived in "blue cities" and areas where half the races were a republican running uncontested or a republican vs. a libertarian because the local dems didn't even bother to run. this is how you get things like those "kuhrayzee texas textbooks" or the local schoolboard voting on a curriculum that says "slavery was good, actually". in a lot of places, the local democratic party apparatus can be taken over by, like, you and five people showing up every time. that was what obama did in his first run. but the other big motto of the democrats is, of course, never learn anything.

Neitzchean will to power is fundamental to the right wing mind.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

etalian posted:

Hundreds of years ago such rich family failsons would have gotten shipped off to monastery

Nah, that was for the real fuckups. Typical rich family failsons either got sent to the antipodes to get rich or die trying, or became lieutenants in the military.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

C-Euro posted:

IMO the only way they merely get rolled instead of omega-rolled is if Trump tries to make 2022 about him, which fortunately the GOP is powerless to stop. Dems still gonna lose though and we'll be the ones to suffer the consequences.

So you're saying Trumo is back?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

shyduck posted:

Quoting this so I can give this guy poo poo in a year. Apparently if you say anything left of Reagan he blocks you

wow a true democrat!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

i liked this, thanks!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
this guy is so drat articulate, drat! really speaks with an enviable clarity of prose. i wish i could line up my thoughts as elegantly as he does.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

lmao

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1463122738403545090

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

god the replies

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

loving lol those replies

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Smythe posted:

this guy is so drat articulate, drat! really speaks with an enviable clarity of prose. i wish i could line up my thoughts as elegantly as he does.

No surprise that Chris Hedges rarely gets invites now for interviews in the US lamestream media.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Crowsbeak posted:

How many people has Biden had deported?

This is silly. This nation has immigration laws and people should follow the rules to Immigrate here.

I know some people don’t want to hear that but then you need to work with your elected officials to get the laws changed.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/vonderosten/status/1463130693077188609?t=BfV7xAW2GV6d-hK6PZNAJA&s=19

The party of Proposals and Conflicts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Nobody gives a gently caress about proposals, they care about feeding their kids which seems to get more costly literally by the day

Jesus gently caress it's not hard. You can't eat a highway expansion