Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Sab Sabbington posted:

This is the most notable thing I've come across so far and one of the only disappointing things, even though it's not really my playstyle. The turtle is the only character that seems to be able to do tanky consistently, and is very good at it.

It's the kind of thing that isn't technically a flaw, just a specific direction the game goes, and I have tons of fun as it is, but ideally speaking, I would like if the enemy scaling for later stages would be adjusted a bit. Instead of +200% dmg / +200 hp, it would be better tweaked to +170% dmg / +230% hp. Less immediate deaths for both the player and the enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Waterfall Watcher posted:

I must ask for a request on how to do mega damage with turtle man, my friend stole my skill dmg scrolls so HOI dog could do a million damage with grenades and clear level 7 reincarnation. I need punch man

The core of PUNCH Turtle is Wave-breaking Blow, Rogue Wave, Clenched Fist and Dark Tide, with a dash of Stormy Riptide to get your Aspis back faster. Might Stream, Tidal Rhythm, Irrepressible Surge, Wave Rider and Battle Adrenaline are also all good pickups to help augment the playstyle if none of the PUNCH ascensions are available to take. The build really takes off if you manage to get level 3 Rogue Wave, Wave-breaking Blow and a few levels in Clenched Fist and Dark Tide to taste. Obviously any +% skill or dmg occult scrolls will help out, I imagine getting regular or enhanced Double Edge would let you really crank the damage up if you got it early enough.

My all time damage in one blow is currently held by a Turtle punch at 832,044 dmg, with my next highest being Tiger at a measly 307,308 with a mostly decent sniper one-shot build.

Waterfall Watcher
Dec 17, 2018

How to ruin improve game sessions & family ties with one simple question.

-Would this be better if I used poison?
Sensei, Doumo arigatou gozaimasu :hai: :hai: :hai:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Evil Kit posted:

The core of PUNCH Turtle is Wave-breaking Blow, Rogue Wave, Clenched Fist and Dark Tide, with a dash of Stormy Riptide to get your Aspis back faster.

Translated: pick the orange icon when you have the ascension panel.

:P

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1217060/view/3117049349007711889
They are announcing some incoming changes and fixes, including the dps check.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Waterfall Watcher posted:

Sensei, Doumo arigatou gozaimasu :hai: :hai: :hai:

punch well :haibrow:

Turin Turambar posted:

Translated: pick the orange icon when you have the ascension panel.

:P

tbf I listed them in order of importance. Getting Wave-breaking Fist and maxing out Rogue Wave are really what make it pop off, with maybe a Clenched Fist or two and some levels of Dark Tide to really spiral it.

But you aren't wrong.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 22, 2021

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is there a reason you can't see a character sheet with your accumulated bonuses? The information seems to be right there, i.e. you can review your accensions and occult scrolls and weapons, but if I want to know what my % bonus to lucky shot is, I have to do all the work myself.

I've wished for this as well, something like the Nioh stat screen that shows you total numbers for each thing. That way I could just pick up a new gun and see what changes vs trying to guess if crit damage or %chance would give me the better DPS boost at this particular instance :argh:

e:
New boss DPS check getting got:

Gunfire Studio posted:

Hello everyone!
First of all, in the past couple of days since the release of V1.0, we have revisited and rethought some of the game designs based on your suggestions and feedback. Now that we are tweaking and fixing a variety of major issues, we believe it's a right time for us to communicate with our community in advance in order to gather more valuable views from you. We admit that the current V1.0 we have delivered does not meet your expectations and we must take actions swiftly to get our game back on track. The following are some of the priorities:

1. Pole Monarch
The win/loss judgement in the final phase will be changed. The current standard, which is a DPS check within a short period of time, will no longer be the only factor to judge the fates of players.
Some of the boss's skills will have optimized visual warnings to players to help them make full preparations.
Other breakable objects in the area will be improved to provide better visual clues.

2. Reincarnation
We will adjust some challenges in [Reincarnation - Level 8] that are not quite reasonable, offering nothing but a poor experience to our players.
The rewards in reincarnation mode will be improved.

3. Anti-cheat System:
The detection of the anti-cheat system will be further polished and we would abandon some procedures that may falsely ban innocent players.

4. Multiplayer:
We have been fetching and analysing network latency data and will keep improving the multiplayer experience.

5. Hyperborean Jokul:
Some clipping issues will be fixed.
The issue where some monsters may be located undergrounds will be fixed.
Environmental elements will be enriched and map designs will be improved to indicate better orientation.
The combat rhythm and variety of monsters spawn in Act 4 will be tweaked.
New routes will be added.

6. Others:
Killing the boss in Act 3 will grant a golden goblet and some occult scrolls as usual.
The adjustments of rewards in Act 4 will happen.

In addition to optimizations mentioned above, you may leave your feedback if you find anything else critical and we should take care of immediately.
Last but not least, thank you again for your tolerance and support. Please allow us to take more time to make V1.0 better.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 23, 2021

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Evil Kit posted:

edit: I must admit the steam group is not that active currently though.

Don't look at me. Question is, why aren't you all going around your neighborhoods like Mormons getting people to join it, and don't give me any covid excuse.

Anyways, finally had a chance to play some Gunfire today, don't like the new hero much, even though I did beat the game with him + the new 4th act on first try (Elite tho..) but still poggers.

I do like the new cannon though!

Im_Special fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Nov 23, 2021

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Completed R8 in a 4 player coop with randoms as Dog (love dat mortar) and even got by the stupid DPS check, beat the game I guess?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Grats, now become a Mormon.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Fishstick posted:

Completed R8 in a 4 player coop with randoms as Dog (love dat mortar) and even got by the stupid DPS check, beat the game I guess?

now do it solo with every hero!!!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I finally beat Elite in Solo, after doing it three times on coop. I've been close in the last two days, usually choking in stage 3 by some silly mistake, but this time, honestly, it was easy. In fact, I had a build so good that it was a pity I wasn't playing in Nightmare or some Reinc, because I also would have beat the game on that difficulty with this.

For defense, I had Lightless Shield + Phantom Skin + Reinforced eggshell + Overwhelming shield + Paranormality. They all synergize to boost or recover my shield or nullify damage.
For offense, and synergizing with my punchy build, I had Dual Edge, Energy Storage (2 uses of active Shield), Magic Watch (33% chance of not using a charge of active shield), Spirit Bible (120% skill dmg), Surprise Bonus (chance to double skill damage), double sec. skill ammo, mid Air strike (+50% dmg when jumping), Vindictive Nature (+40% skill dmg when being hit) , Enduring Caster (+skill dmg proportional to your hp/shield), and Sucker Punch (+30% skill dmg if enemies have more than 70% hp).
For mobility, I had Tactical Reload, and Strategic Advantage.

Funny thing, I scrapped by mistake my +16 rainbow arch after the third boss, but whatever, I guess, most of the rest of the game was solved by punches.

Time to try Nightmare.

Oh by the way, we have to do a shout out to the wiki of the game, which is very complete and informative:
https://gunfirereborn.fandom.com/wiki/Gunfire_Reborn_Wiki

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Is +16 the weapon bonus I should be hitting by the third boss?? I'm usually only half that, if even that high.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is +16 the weapon bonus I should be hitting by the third boss?? I'm usually only half that, if even that high.

You should at least be at +10 preferably, but if you haven't maxed out your talent metaprog yet don't worry too much about it. That sort of weapon level only matters on Nightmare+ difficulties imo, though it certainly helps you win the higher you get it.

Ultimately the more important thing is the inscriptions the weapon has and how well the weapon synergizes with what you're doing.

A good rule of thumb is to have the weapon you're primarily using at 3 above the level weapons drop at in the area.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 23, 2021

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Maybe I'm playing wrong but if I have to spend money to keep rerolling Gemini inscriptions to get a matching set, isn't that coming out of the same pool of findable gold I could spend on upgrades?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't understand how to make the turtle do well :(

I'm on R3 now and the only character I find powerful with my playstyle is the rabbit. Rabbit with laser gloves and a bunch of ascensions/scrolls to buff crit, RoF, and weapon damage and you can melt even the last boss. I feel like if I play any other character, using that same build is still the strongest option and if I'm using that build I may as well be the rabbit. I haven't tried the dog or bird though.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

You aren't wrong about it being the same gold pool, but I do think that getting a matching set of gemini inscriptions is far more valuable than some base damage usually. I have won a not small amount of games off of getting just enough gold to reroll into the right gemini pairing. Usually better if you're trying for the elemental pairing, but I have had some silly crit builds and mag size builds from gemini.

the right gemini inscription > upgrading a weapon for sure, though sometimes I find a weapon so good I don't even bother.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I don't understand how to make the turtle do well :(

I'm on R3 now and the only character I find powerful with my playstyle is the rabbit. Rabbit with laser gloves and a bunch of ascensions/scrolls to buff crit, RoF, and weapon damage and you can melt even the last boss. I feel like if I play any other character, using that same build is still the strongest option and if I'm using that build I may as well be the rabbit. I haven't tried the dog or bird though.

I think Turtle's greatest strength is just being able no sell everything in the game as long as it can't hit you from the backside. After some thought the punches, while incredibly fun, are far better for level clearing in Reincarnation unless you get lucky with all the right ascensions at the right times, with having a solid dps gun for bosses to use inbetween punching is pretty important. Each hero has some unique builds though, like Dog has a fantastic DPS spiritual blessing now in the form of Atomic Bomb and an explosion build, and Bird always has cleave build for hilarity and big numbers.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 23, 2021

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Dog can do a high-ROF build really well too. He's got a lot of explosive goblets so you might end up with 1 or 2 wasted goblets by the end of a run because of that, but a double machine gun/laser dog build gets: A huge damage bonus, effectively infinite ammo, infinite dual wielding duration, and doubled reload speed.

If you want to actually learn how to build around the other guns, I guess bird and leopard are your best bet as long as you don't always build around their secondary abilities. Builds based on Fatal Current's shooting bonus on the leopard are a force multiplier for heavy hitting weapons, so if you pay attention to what guns with what mods work well on him you're also probably learning what would work well on the non-rabbit characters.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

4 players coop is way harder than 2 players coop. They should rebalance it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
What's some good rules of thumb for deciding when to go all in on upgrading a weapon? I find myself not wanting to spend any cash on them in the first few areas because whenever I do I end up getting a better one just drop in the next room :argh: Like, by the time I hit the desert should I stop trying to get a weapon to work with the build I want and just start building around the weapons I have?

And should I at least wait until I get one with a gemini perk, or is it ever worth it to inscribe one manually? I can never remember the rules for how many bonuses a weapon can have and end up inscribing a crappy green bonus onto a weapon instead.

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Desert is the critical act where by the end of it, you know exactly where your build is going. By midway through the desert, you should generally know what you're looking for. So if your build plan is locked and you find a well-suited +3 or +4 weapon with good inscriptions, I say go nuts, upgrade it and pay for giving it Gemini. Once I'm in act 3, I usually have more money than opportunities to spend it, so I want to commit to a weapon ASAP if I haven't already, and dump money into full upgrades every time I see the craftsman.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

It's a little disappointing how skill damage builds just can't keep up with weapon damage builds because the latter has so much multiplicative stacking going on. Punching an enemy for 20k damage is pretty good but it's even better if you fire a 300% lucky shot with a Strike Wing that also deals 14x crit damage, dealing 2.7 million damage to an enemy and all the enemies around it

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Minorkos posted:

It's a little disappointing how skill damage builds just can't keep up with weapon damage builds because the latter has so much multiplicative stacking going on. Punching an enemy for 20k damage is pretty good but it's even better if you fire a 300% lucky shot with a Strike Wing that also deals 14x crit damage, dealing 2.7 million damage to an enemy and all the enemies around it

I mean, it's not called Skillfire Reborn

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Minorkos posted:

Maybe you can't reach 2.7M, but you can punch for 250K damage... Hell, you can do it with more consistency than the 1 in 50 arrow shot of 2.7M ...

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hey Evil Kit, can you give me the ideal ascension build for the Dog?
It's the one with whom I struggle the most. He is kinda slow, his shield is small, his primary skill has a series of asterisks attached (he can't use bows, melee weapons, etc, the ammo consumption can be an issue) and his secondary isn't as good as others.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Managed to clear up through Nightmare solo and will definitely clear R1 with some buddies next time we play, was very surprised just how much more health (or, it feels like a shitload more, I haven't actually compared) the bosses have on R1. We lost a run last night because we all had late game builds started and just didn't have the DPS to not get attritioned out when trying to clear Golem.

edit: I've also landed on Slap Build for Bird if I just want to get an easy braindead clear. It's just absurd how good that poo poo is, especially if you manage to get some vaguely defensive stuff early.

Sting has landed as my favorite weapon, it's just so good. Absurd damage, effective at any range, and the instant removal of armor for anything that isn't Elite+ is dumb as hell

Sab Sabbington fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 24, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

Evil Kit already replied, but I have to clarify that now the red chests may give you +1, +2 or +3 to a weapon (the last one with a curse scroll), I think I got two of those. Also I had one of the scrolls that gives you extra money.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Minorkos posted:

tbh I think skill builds are just fine, but I enjoy cackling madly as I slap/punch every enemy I come across without every firing a bullet is an A+++ experience. Hell, they've even been adding more +% skill damage into the game, and probably didn't have it before since ascensions do most of the heavy lifting in terms of scaling ability damage up.

Guns still can get way more nuts though.

Turin Turambar posted:

Hey Evil Kit, can you give me the ideal ascension build for the Dog?
It's the one with whom I struggle the most. He is kinda slow, his shield is small, his primary skill has a series of asterisks attached (he can't use bows, melee weapons, etc, the ammo consumption can be an issue) and his secondary isn't as good as others.

Sure! Though I personally prefer explosion Dog making a dual wielding Dog build is pretty straightforward. Dog in general is the closest character I'd consider a health tank, what with the hero talent that gives +1% max hp per second when you have dual wield active to all the defensive ascensions related to increasing his health, health regen and becoming totally immune to damage for X seconds on taking a % of his HP as damage. Dual Wield is also strong DPSwise, not just for the fact you can fire a second gun at the same time but also the +50% damage bonus hero talent for just having it active. The latter is very important even for explosion builds, because doing 50% more damage is good no matter what gun you're using. The only hero I think making use of the Flesh and Bones isn't just a meme on, and can easily take peculiar chests that cost you health with much less worry. While I'll list all the ascensions I look out for below per build, I will say that Adrenal Rush is the best defensive ascension he has now after they gave it health regen, especially paired with Close Call. If you do go with Flesh and Bones, be especially careful of Longbow Archer variants as they deal Fire damage and will loving destroy you.

Explosion Dog explosive weapon edition ascension preference: Explosion Enhancement > Mad Bomber > Sustained Fire = Sharpshooter > Precise Explosion > Grenade Master = Double Explosions for offensive ascensions, Adrenal Rush = Close Call = Survivial Instinct for defensive. If you can swing one Ammo Expert you'll never run out of Yellow or Blue ammo.

This build is for when you want to use explosive weapons and grenades occasionally. Slappy (Justice), the new Deafening Mortar(haven't tried this yet, want to), Tiger Cannon, Bone Dragon are what you want to keep an eye out for, with a really good Slappy being a primary with one of the big launchers as a secondary. You explode everything, forever, that's it. Maybe toss a grenade or two while you're reloading, since it doesn't cancel the reload animation.

Exploding Dog ATOMIC BOMB GRENADE edition: Double Explosions > Grenade Master > Explosion Enhancement > Mad Bomber > Sustained Fire > Precise Explosion for offensive ascensions. Adrenal Rush = Close Call = Survivial Instinct for defensive.

So you're playing Reincarnation difficulty and have chosen the Best* spiritual blessing Dog has. It is time, open palm slam Double Explosions and Grenade Master if they're offered, with Explosion Enhancement getting a priority if you have at least one level for Grenade Master and Double Explosions already (yes ik DE is a one level ascension). After you have that core three I'd honestly prefer taking defensive ascensions as long as one of the Big Three isn't offered.

Then you press Q on your enemies and laugh in explosions. Make sure to turn around before the boss dies.

*May not be as best now since they actually nerfed it some with the full release patch. Still A+++ build.

Dual Wielding Dog, whatever gun combo you want edition: Battle Tested > Sustained Fire, Lucky Ammo, Ammo Expert, Sharpshooter, Twin Gunner (can screw you unless you max it out), Unleashed Potential. Adrenal Rush = Close Call = Survivial Instinct for defensive.

You find two guns that work well together, preferably full auto weapons so your fingers and wrist don't kill you after the run. You always take Battle Tested if you see it until it's maxed out, with at least one level of Ammo Expert and then whatever else you're feeling.

Hold down M1+M2, point at enemy.

???

Profit.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Evil Kit posted:

Explosion Dog explosive weapon edition ascension preference: Explosion Enhancement > Mad Bomber > Sustained Fire = Sharpshooter > Precise Explosion > Grenade Master = Double Explosions for offensive ascensions, Adrenal Rush = Close Call = Survivial Instinct for defensive. If you can swing one Ammo Expert you'll never run out of Yellow or Blue ammo.

You left Twin Gunner out of this one when it should be in the same tier as Sustained Fire and Sharpshooter :colbert:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Count Uvula posted:

You left Twin Gunner out of this one when it should be in the same tier as Sustained Fire and Sharpshooter :colbert:

tbh the number of times I have been screwed by Twin Gunner has been not small, especially if you don't have an ammo recovery scroll or Ammo Expert yet. I don't really priortize Ammo Expert with explosion dog usually so it's even more likely to screw me than not. This is just a general guide though, people should always add their own flavor.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Well that was intense and grueling and I never want to do it again :v:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Well that was intense and grueling and I never want to do it again :v:

Congrats! I kinda feel like playing solo is an entirely different experience compared to 4 player, I can't even imagine how much health that shield has for the DPS check.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

85 minutes playtime, so that's a clue already...

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

My successful R7 run was 69 (nice) minutes long and that was a pretty ridiculous run. A whole rear end new world to play through with all the accompanying vaults adds a pretty significant amount of time, not to mention if you don't get a god run going. I usually slap on another 10-15 minutes to successful co-op runs depending on how busted each person's build gets and the amount of extra time you might discuss and shuffle around scrolls/weapons.

Hopefully with the next patch the tweaking they do will make it less tediously long and the final phase to be less ridiculous.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think most of the time in that run came from the temple and desert. On R8 before you get a build going there were elites that took literally 5 minutes of all 4 of us just standing there shooting it in the head for it to die, they felt like MMO raid bosses. By the time we got to the third zone our builds started picking up and then we breezed through the last zone comparatively.

In the desert we got one of those "Whoa, a whole lotta elites are coming!" challenges that spawned like 6 elites and that room was probably a full 20+ minutes of the playtime for that run.

There's way too much time spent on 4 player R8 just standing there shooting at a weakspot watching an enemy's health slowly deplete :( Even on R1, 4 player gets pretty tedious.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 24, 2021

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Evil Kit posted:

the new Deafening Mortar(haven't tried this yet, want to),

My first successful Elite run with my friend was won on the back of a mediocre Mortar. All it really had was the shared clip gemini. But with an OK explosion dog build, I was wiping entire waves of enemies with the alt fire and taking off 10-20% of the final boss's health per shot with the main fire.

I think it's pretty good. Possibly my favorite gun so far, though I still have a long way to go.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Noper Q posted:

My first successful Elite run with my friend was won on the back of a mediocre Mortar. All it really had was the shared clip gemini. But with an OK explosion dog build, I was wiping entire waves of enemies with the alt fire and taking off 10-20% of the final boss's health per shot with the main fire.

I think it's pretty good. Possibly my favorite gun so far, though I still have a long way to go.

I did a run earlier today on R8 as explosion dog and hoo boy I'm gonna need to find an ammo scroll or something to pair with it. It chugs ammo. Was pretty hilarious, I like it and it was effective as I thought it would be!

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Yeah the mortar uses ~3.6 times as much as ammo as the Tiger Cannon (3x the ammo consumed per shot, fires 1.2x as fast). I think the only thing that uses up more yellow tier ammo is a Wild Hunt with a magazine size gemini mod.

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Saw a streamer play this and made an impulse purchase, did not regret dropping the ~:10bux: on it. Then I noticed there was a thread for this and now I want to try the co-op, can I get an invite to the steam group? IGN is Zernach.

Tried netplay for the first time with sniper tiger, was plesantly suprised how little lag was affecting clicking heads. I had more problems anticipating their movement because suddenly they have 3 other targets they can be chasing so they aren't running at you in straight lines anymore.

Had my first full normal clear with a crazy secondary bird, I got the +5 dmg/kill to Q first. I think the 1m dmg as a record single hit for that run came from smashing some huge group after leap booster and more targets=more dmg did their work. Maybe I should try it again on elite since it's kicking my rear end as everyone else.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
drat, all these clear reports. I got this a few days ago and I still can't get past the desert on normal. Do I just suck, or have I just not played enough? Filling out the progression tree is getting pretty grindy, but I'm still having fun. I've only just unlocked the bird, so there's a way to go still. I've been playing exclusively solo, so I ought to try some co op and see how that goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

skeletronics posted:

drat, all these clear reports. I got this a few days ago and I still can't get past the desert on normal. Do I just suck, or have I just not played enough? Filling out the progression tree is getting pretty grindy, but I'm still having fun. I've been playing exclusively solo, so I ought to try some co op and see how that goes.

The progression tree be like that. I was stuck at the desert on normal for a long time and didn't beat normal until I had most of the baseline boosts in the tree.