Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Check out Japan’s figures!

Gone from tens of thousands a day to a hundred odd and they think it’s because delta there has mutated itself out of existence - something to do with the new mutations meaning it can’t replicate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

That is definitely not how that works.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There's something going on in that corner of the globe, a bunch of SE Asia countries have cases plummeting while others are surging

https://ourworldindata.org/explorer...PHL~KHM~IDN~LAO

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Didn't Japan also make a big deal about how their superior language helped limit the spread by minimizing spittle as opposed to the harsh barbarian tongue of English spraying vast plumes of virus and/or feces?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cthulu Carl posted:

Didn't Japan also make a big deal about how their superior language helped limit the spread by minimizing spittle as opposed to the harsh barbarian tongue of English spraying vast plumes of virus and/or feces?

Well they didn't really hit a large surge until after they opened their doors to the uncultured Western barbarians so there might be something in that ..... :thunk:

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.
10 weeks pregnant and boosted with Moderna yesterday! Feeling fine today, which is not what I was expecting as my second shot destroyed me the next day.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

learnincurve posted:

Check out Japan’s figures!

Gone from tens of thousands a day to a hundred odd and they think it’s because delta there has mutated itself out of existence - something to do with the new mutations meaning it can’t replicate.

Sounds too hopeful

I *suppose* it's a possibility, I remember hoping for this in the early days - that the virus would mutate into a harmless flu, or even mostly asymptomatic, but past year has shown that things only tend to get worse

Elea
Oct 10, 2012

compshateme85 posted:

10 weeks pregnant and boosted with Moderna yesterday! Feeling fine today, which is not what I was expecting as my second shot destroyed me the next day.

Congrats. Did your doctor encourage it if you consulted them? I've heard a lot of stories of doctors giving conflicting advice to pregnant women on the vaccine.

My own doctor said boosters were for very specific people one day before the state said they were for everyone.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Plant MONSTER. posted:

I've taken more vaccines than anyone else in this entire thread put together don't you dare call me antivaxx

haha, i heard that same argument from someone at work who insists they aren't antivax because they've voluntarily gotten other vaccines -- at the same time they are applying for a religious exemption to the federal mandate :lol: "i'm not antivax but my religion prevents me from getting any of these three specific shots"

but despite it being such obvious bad faith horseshit, they'll probably get the exemption if the rumor that directors are planning to rubber stamp every single request is true :negative:

anyway, got my moderna booster yesterday and had body and joint aches, shivers, and mild fever (~100 F) all night and into to today... pretty miserable, but not quite as bad as the 2nd shot where my fever reached ~103 F the first night. the body aches are worse than i get from an actual flu infection / fever. really hoping to not have to do this 2x per year. but hey, on the plus side there's no question that my immune system is recognizing and responding to the threat.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Given the quicker immune response to the booster vd the second dose (less than 7 days from the chart) I am betting we won't be in an every 6 months situation long term.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Scarodactyl posted:

Given the quicker immune response to the booster vd the second dose (less than 7 days from the chart) I am betting we won't be in an every 6 months situation long term.

there will be diminishing returns on getting the same booster over and over, but variants may require new shots as we continue to roll the mutation dice. but given the time it takes to develop those, you're right that every 6 months is probably unrealistic.

compshateme85
Jan 28, 2009

Oh you like racoons? Name three of their songs. You dope.

Elea posted:

Congrats. Did your doctor encourage it if you consulted them? I've heard a lot of stories of doctors giving conflicting advice to pregnant women on the vaccine.

My own doctor said boosters were for very specific people one day before the state said they were for everyone.

When I asked him two weeks ago if he recommended that I get a booster he cut me off before I could finish the sentence with "YES!". It probably helps that I'm in a highly vaccinated, very liberal area.

naem
May 29, 2011

Scarodactyl posted:

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Just got my booster + flu shot together. (Didn't realize it was Pfizer after getting Moderna 1+2, oops. Oh well, they're nearly interchangeable.)

I fully expect to grow an extra head now, possibly more.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Fuschia tude posted:

Just got my booster + flu shot together. (Didn't realize it was Pfizer after getting Moderna 1+2, oops. Oh well, they're nearly interchangeable.)

I fully expect to grow an extra head now, possibly more.
Just gargantuan, epic balls

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Booster + flu shot set for this weekend! Also, our city is dropping the mask mandate for all unvaxxed people on the same day. Our hospitals are still almost out of ICU, but it looks like it's because they keep flying in unvaccinated people from rural areas.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Bad Purchase posted:

there will be diminishing returns on getting the same booster over and over, but variants may require new shots as we continue to roll the mutation dice. but given the time it takes to develop those, you're right that every 6 months is probably unrealistic.

That doesn't sound right at all. Assuming that antibodies and/or immune memory has waned, why would there eventually be diminished immune response? At least to my knowledge your body doesn't eventually just give up responding to antigens that it sees frequently (especially not just once a year, or even six months).

Unless you mean as we become elderly, then I guess sure :corsair:

E: Repeated adenovirus-vector vaccines could potentially have reduced effectivess if the immune system learns to target the adenovirus before it delivers it's payload, but I don't think we're worried about that with other types of vaccines.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 24, 2021

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Hopefully we'll soon get better data on inhalend vaccines too. Animal data with inhaled AZ apparently looked good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't know why Japan's numbers are so low, but as a person here its great.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bad Purchase posted:

haha, i heard that same argument from someone at work who insists they aren't antivax because they've voluntarily gotten other vaccines -- at the same time they are applying for a religious exemption to the federal mandate :lol: "i'm not antivax but my religion prevents me from getting any of these three specific shots"

but despite it being such obvious bad faith horseshit, they'll probably get the exemption if the rumor that directors are planning to rubber stamp every single request is true :negative:

The US army apparently got a whole bunch of religious exemption requests and denied pretty much all of them which makes a lot of sense considering that everyone serving in the US army would have been given a lot of vaccines already as a matter of course, so if they hadn't objected to those earlier jabs they would have had a very hard time arguing against this one

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/02/us/politics/vaccine-military-army.html

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Religious exemptions should never be part of anything. Medical, yes. Morality? gently caress off.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

did the court suspension of biden's vaccine mandate complete and it was deemed legal or are places skirting around it or what is going on? I think I missed something.

[edit] doesn't look like it...

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/11/18/biden-administration-suspends-enforcement-of-business-vaccine-mandate.html

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cowslips Warren posted:

Religious exemptions should never be part of anything. Medical, yes. Morality? gently caress off.

:hmmyes:

I don't think vaccines were covered in the bible so I'm not sure how these fucks are getting off with that excuse.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Stickman posted:

That doesn't sound right at all. Assuming that antibodies and/or immune memory has waned, why would there eventually be diminished immune response? At least to my knowledge your body doesn't eventually just give up responding to antigens that it sees frequently (especially not just once a year, or even six months).

I wasn't super clear. You are right that boosters will continue to give a short term, uh, boost in immune response.

What I meant was that each booster is likely to have diminishing effectiveness in the long term -- as in, the effectiveness in fighting off the infection a year or five years from now. People who had a good immune response to the initial vaccination will develop the immune memory their body needs to fight future infections and each subsequent booster is not likely to improve the long term response much. It's not even clear if the first covid booster helps with that yet. There are some vaccines, like tetanus, that need boosters on the order of 10 years because the long term effectiveness might wane. Generally the goal of vaccination is getting that long term immune response to be reliable.

To your point, after any infection or vaccination your body will have high amounts of antibodies and B/T cells swimming around for anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. In that state, if you get infected with covid again, you don't have to wait a couple days for your immune system to recognize the threat and ramp up -- you're already ramped up and can begin fighting it immediately, which will reduce the severity of symptoms (if you have any at all) -- especially with the delta variant which progresses very quickly, making the immune response time important. This is the most likely reason that the effectiveness numbers of the various covid vaccines in studies all drop off after a few months -- the transition from the short term phase to the long term phase. We would probably need boosters more often than every 6 months if you want to keep that short term protection active. Generally that's just not what vaccines are designed for. It might work to get boosted every 2 or 3 months and maintain those high 90s effectiveness numbers indefinitely, I don't know... not sure there's a lot of precedent for something like that.

Anyway, this article probably explains it better:

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2021/09/waning-immunity-not-crisis-right-now/619965/

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Pennywise the Frown posted:

:hmmyes:

I don't think vaccines were covered in the bible so I'm not sure how these fucks are getting off with that excuse.
i guess it depend on how much of a literalist you want to be, but imo deuteronomy 22:8 is pretty pro-responsibility to protect others.

quote:

When you build a new house, make a parapet around your roof so that you may not bring the guilt of bloodshed on your house if someone falls from the roof.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Sweet, Sweden just jumped on the booster train. Everyone 18 years and over will be able to get one soon.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Ghostlight posted:

i guess it depend on how much of a literalist you want to be, but imo deuteronomy 22:8 is pretty pro-responsibility to protect others.

I guess people who could reasonably claim religious objections might be a bit more fringe than simply "christian".

Like, the Book of Mormon or the teachings of Scientology probably have a lot to say on vaccines.

I'm not saying that the state should in any way pay attention to that, I'm of the opinion that religious needs should bow down to the need for people not to kill others, but I'm sure there are people claiming otherwise. (I mean, we have killings over religion already.)

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I guess people who could reasonably claim religious objections might be a bit more fringe than simply "christian".

Like, the Book of Mormon or the teachings of Scientology probably have a lot to say on vaccines.
No they don't. To the extent they do, it's positive.

https://www.deseret.com/2021/9/23/22688511/churchbeat-newsletter-lds-mormon-church-latter-day-saints-vaccine-exemption
https://www.scientology.org/faq/scientology-attitudes-and-practices/scientology-view-on-medical-care.html

Overall roundup: https://www.vumc.org/health-wellness/news-resource-articles/immunizations-and-religion

Pretty much the only small weird religion you've heard of that objects to healthcare is Church of Christ, Scientist, aka Christian Scientists. Absolute max, worldwide, there are 400k members. Almost nobody is declining the vaccine due to a "legit" religious belief.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I thought the religious thing was that they believe the vaccine contains aborted fetuses, and therefore refuse to get it since they are «pro-life»

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
https://www.vaticannews.va/en/pope/news/2021-08/pope-francis-appeal-covid-19-vaccines-act-of-love.html

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Even Jehovah's Witnesses are allowed vaccines according to their rules or whatever.

There are no religions that forbid vaccines. Any person who claims a religious reason for not vaccinating is being a disingenuous poo poo stain. All of 'em.

ymgve posted:

I thought the religious thing was that they believe the vaccine contains aborted fetuses, and therefore refuse to get it since they are «pro-life»

Des guillemets? You must be French?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Well, no, Christian Scientists are pretty against healthcare period. There's just very few of them

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Oh, right. Forgot about them. Well... screw them. There was a goon here whose mother was a Christian Scientist, right? And I know she was giving the goon a lot of trouble during all of this. How miserable. :(

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

lol at any so-called christian whose sect was formed during or after the great schism thinking they have any authority whatsoever to interpret scripture

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Just got home from getting my Moderna booster. Will keep the thread posted as I die and/or transcend into a being of pure 5G.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

After two doses of AZ earlier in the year i got my Pfizer booster a few hours ago, other than a slight niggle at the injection site nothing to report. :shrug:

Does my 5G come in colour or is only black & white?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
The main religious objection I’ve seen is the foetal stem cell stuff, but if the pope doesn’t seem to care about it that much then rank and file Catholics probably don’t have a leg to stand on.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
ffs

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/nov/24/scientists-warn-of-new-covid-variant-with-high-number-of-mutations

https://twitter.com/PeacockFlu/status/1463176821416075279

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the pope does care, but since the aborted foetus that most of the vaccines are derived from is now almost half a century old he's taken a somewhat pragmatic approach in that the damage has been done and there's not really any alternative protection than the vaccines created from it.

the same people claiming religious exemption though seem to be happy to move to alternatives like regeneron, which use the exact same foetal tissues as the vaccines themselves, except they've spent a bunch of money on pr touting that because they've been breeding the cells for so long (as long as everyone else using them) they no longer count as foetal cells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

*slow heavy metal music*