Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

Yeah. Programming isn't the same field as IT. Thats like asking why you would want separate job boards for engineers and metal workers

Which one is the metal worker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

:megadeath::rock::eng101:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

KillHour posted:

Which one is the metal worker?

Does it matter? They both take specialized knowledge that doesn't directly help the other, tho that knowledge would definitely color work in the other field to a useful degree, while having plenty of skills and knowledge that would cross over, yet they are, ultimately, completely different.

I stand by this analogy :c00lbert:

Moleboy
Apr 20, 2011

Looksy
-Hindsight-

Looking Back, I am sure of 2 things:
1. I should have found the thread before it finished
2. Grimper may have actually done one or two things wrong
So figured I would just check in case anyone is looking, but anyone out there in need of an Agile Coach or SAFe Program Consultant?

Coming up on 9 years in Agile, 3 in SAFe, can fill in as a scrum master or product owner in a pinch but my rate might be high for those.

Located in Portland and more than able to do remote.

Hit me up on PMs if anyone has an interest or need and let's talk.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

My company is looking for someone in the "DevOps" space to work on my team (reporting to me).

Title is "Devops Engineer" (potentially "junior" depending on background and skillset).

Looking for:
3-5 years related experience, some of which is CI/CD, cloud, or code/scripting related.
Please understand basics of code, git, AWS, and docker (I will gladly train a lot, though, I'm not expecting the moon)
And most importantly: a good attitude / ability to be proactive

Us:
- Startup; but with one of the better startup cultures I've been in
- East Coast (mostly), but fully remote workforce (though we do have a Baltimore office)
- AWS shop; currently I'm leading a transition from ECS and poorly designed mishmash of Serverless / CloudFormation into a Terraform / K8s implementation while supporting the dev team in their day-to-day

The benefits:
- Pay range 120k+
- Benefits are pretty good (health, retirement, pto, options, etc)
- Fully remote
- But you have to be okay with mostly being EST-based for work-hours

PM me if interested.

aksuur
Nov 9, 2003
Someone please tell me how to get a job in Antarctica. Networking is my thing but I can do systems also.

Or if anyone needs a network engineer in the Minneapolis area, lemme know.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

aksuur posted:

Someone please tell me how to get a job in Antarctica. Networking is my thing but I can do systems also.

https://ghgcorp.applicantpro.com/jobs/

I have applied to some sysadmin jobs at McMurdo in the past and didn't even get a response. From what I have learned it is extremely competitive since people who have done previous rotations are almost always given hiring preference. They will ask you what your expected salary is and you will need to be willing to be paid almost nothing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's a job fair in.... Denver? Every year, sometime before antarctic summer. My guess is that if you don't show up in person to that job fair you don't get on the list but I haven't looked into it much

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

aksuur posted:

Do you want to get The Thing???? Cause that's how you'll get Thing-ed. Serious note, a job down there sounds like it would be insane and a really cool story.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Is it true that basically everyone working down there ends up having sex with everyone else out of boredom? I remember reading that somewhere.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

KillHour posted:

Is it true that basically everyone working down there ends up having sex with everyone else out of boredom? I remember reading that somewhere.

I mean, fair

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

One of my old coworkers did it. It was a dream of hers and she just kept trying. Still sounded like the equivalent of becoming a pro baseball player or something. I think she did tech training and some ancillary logistics related to tech. She got back right before the pandemic and I haven't had a chance to catch up. I bet that's a job with some stories!

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Yeah, I would love to hear stories of doing computer stuff there. My first thought is that anything you can do remote would get done remote, so on-site computer stuff would probably be way too heavy on actual touching of computers. Then I remembered that making logical assumptions about IT for large organizations will steer you wrong fairly often.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The internet is also not the best. Limited ability to get supplies in by ship. Even during the good parts of the season, I think they have to clear several miles of ice using an icebreaker ship.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Friend of mine ended up working at the British Antarctic Survey for a season. Before that he was an engineer in the merchant navy, if you want to know what sort of roles they recruit from.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

A friends brother has gone down to Antarctica I think three times now? Maybe two. He missed last season because he didn't have time for the full quarantine. This year he had to quarantine for two weeks in SF and then two weeks in NZ and this was an actual quarantine where they leave food outside your door and you never see anyone. I can't recall how he wrangled the job but he runs the kitchen. He has to schedule time to use the internet for like video chat and poo poo.

I interviewed for a job a few years ago that involved periodically going on a coast guard ice breaker and supporting the researchers IT poo poo. I would imagine its pretty similar. Lots of reading and watching movies and getting ripped at the gym. I got referred to it via someone sharing a job post through a local user group.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
I've graduated with my Bachelor's degree and I'm ready to party work.

Experience:
  • 1 Year System Technician (Tier 2) at an MSP. Configured and delivered Windows servers, cisco/meraki/ubiquiti networking equipment, and cisco/digium phone systems as project work. Managed client networks and systems. Developed imposter syndrome and a hatred of fax machines.
  • 2.5 Years Help Desk Representative at a college. Troubleshot Windows and Blackboard issues for teachers and students. Created tickets for other IT departments.
Education/Certs:
  • Bachelor of Science in Network Operations and Security from WGU
  • Certs: CCNA (lapsed but renewing on Nov 9th), A+, Sec+, Project+, ITILv4 Foundation, Azure AZ-900, AWS CCP
What I'm looking for: Some sort of job building, deploying, and managing networks and/or servers where I can grow professionally. Network Engineer, System Engineer, Cloud Engineer, that kind of thing. I enjoy learning new things and figuring stuff out, so even if I don't have experience in a technology I will be able to get up to speed quickly.

What I'm not looking for: Total chaos. I work best when I'm able to take time to research, plan, and document my work. I struggle and burn out when I'm constantly being thrown into the middle of things. Some chaos is fine, but it should be not all the time.

Where (ideal, but not limited to):
  • Metro Detroit
  • Columbus, OH
  • Remote
When: Immediately if Remote, otherwise however long it takes to find an apartment, sign a lease, and move from Traverse City (3-4 weeks?).

PM me or send an email to sa@hasaple.com

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Actuarial Fables posted:

What I'm not looking for: Total chaos. I work best when I'm able to take time to research, plan, and document my work. I struggle and burn out when I'm constantly being thrown into the middle of things. Some chaos is fine, but it should be not all the time.

:allears:

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Doesn't hurt to ask :)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lmao

If you want a low stress, very little changing day to day, look into a job in the defense industry

Defense industry programmers are sort of infamous for living in that environment for decades, and then when they leave their warm cocoon, really struggling in a more traditional corporate chaos ball pit

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
There was a thread on here years ago of a goon that did IT at the Pole station. I remember him saying they went through a lot of PC power supplies because the air was so thin.

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Hadlock posted:

If you want a low stress, very little changing day to day, look into a job in the defense industry

This usually means high barrier of entry, no?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Talking to people working in the defense industry my impression is that the barrier to entry is very very low, unless you're an aerospace engineer, in which case Lockheed Martin requires a 3.75 gpa last I heard

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I guess you probably need to be able to pass a background check, but you need to do that to get a job as a cashier at Target

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

My company is looking for tier 1 SOC analysts for the MSP. Now I know, MSPs suck and I agree with you, national MSPs are terrible. We are not that.

Looking for:
- Someone who is comfortable with Windows/Linux and has a basic understanding of Enterprise IT.
- Can Google poo poo and doesn't need to be hand held every minute of every day. This one is important, not because you won't get the training you need, but because we want people who will learn and don't need to be taught how to cat a file or read a powershell script. We want someone who can be assigned a task, can research what to do to accomplish that task, and can pull it off. Wish I had a shorter way to put that, that didn't include the words "self-starter", but here you go.
- Folks with Cyber bootcamps are okay, we're not picky, most of us don't have college degrees (or didn't when we started).

Us:
- Engineering led 10 year old local reseller/services company
- Work with dozens of clients in TOLA, and expanding every year
- We don't dictate tech to clients, we adapt to their tech stack, which means our guys have their hands in everything. Therefore we teach you the basics that you can apply to each tech agnostically. We want you to be analysts, not tool monkeys.

The benefits:
- Pay dictated by experience, but this is an entry level role, so don't expect to be making :bezos: 50-80k
- Remote or you can move to Houston if you want to be in an office
- Normal company poo poo (401k, insurance, etc)
- $3500+ training budget per employee per year, plus conferences. We all party at defcon each year (except the last couple I guess)
-All the certifications you can throw a stick at. We're even paying for SANS certs again (jesus gently caress those got expensive)
- Rotating weekly OnCall shared with the rest of the MSP so you're not OnCall every week. Most guys are on call once a quarter-ish. Also, trying to establish off hours team so no one is on call. Currently a WIP
- You'll get to touch all the security technologies you want. If you want to go down a certain path, we'll help you get there. Netsec, Endpoint, SIEM, blue team, red team, forensics, IRs, etc

PM me if interested or you have questions.

Edit: we're also looking for lvl2/3 SOC Analysts, much the same as above, with a stronger requirement around knowledge and team leadership

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 8, 2021

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
anyone looking to hire a backend engineer? I figure this company has about three months of runway left before things get unstable enough to be significantly worried.

I have 7 years of java/rdbms/orm design as my primary role, and ad-hoc linux sysadmin/ops/etc. Tons of daily-driving unix toolsets (sed/grep/whatever on cygwin/etc) to do mass-editing on large codebases, manipulate data for scripts and so on. Basically just whatever needs to be done - I'm a general nuts-and-bolts understander and problem solver who doesn't need to be handheld, throw me at a problem and tell me what needs doing and I can make it happen. I'm defacto a senior engineer/lead-lite although they refuse to promote internally but that's effectively what I've been doing for the last year.

Master's in Compsci Theory / published a GPGPU paper in an IEEE conference proceeding. Scaled a system 40x over the last year due to COVID load and we put all our eggs in one basket on the "next project", and it's likely bringing down the company with it. Our benefits just got nuked almost entirely and the new CEO is fluffing the numbers to try and sell it before it all comes crashing down.

Most likely looking for something full-time remote unless it's an absolute dream job. Can absolutely pass a background check (I work in the health sector) but not interested in clearance work or government jobs. Not reeeealllly interested in javascript/frontend at all, but at this point if it's a well-paying position with a good company with reasonably competent co-workers that's not hyper-toxic I'm not picky, that's worth something to me too.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 4, 2021

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Armauk posted:

It’ll require a security clearance and somebody with one is going to jump ahead of you in the application pool but a company will sponsor you to fill a contract.

I suppose every program is different but in my experience it’s the pinnacle of low stress. I have a dozen people on my team but honestly 2-3 people could do it comfortably.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Armauk posted:

If you work as a civilian no, although obviously knowing what you’re doing helps. Everything you need (clearance, certs, etc.) will be given to you by your agency.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
My experience: Active Directory, Microsoft 365, Windows Server
What I'm looking for: Left my org as a Senior IT Analyst, looking for a Senior IT Analyst / Architect role or more project-based position. I've developed a big appreciation for designing long-term sustainable and maintainable systems.
What I'm NOT looking for: Entry-level positions, majority Help Desk positions (I don't mind training them or acting as overflow on occasion)
Where I live: San Jose, CA
Where I'm looking: San Jose, CA or full-remote
When I can start: A week's notice upon a written offer should be plenty
Requirements: Health insurance, full time
Can be reached via: klosterdev@Gmail.com

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Looking for System Engineer and System Engineer Manager

Area: Seattle-Tacoma area (in between there, suburbia land) No traffic if your going Bellevue and Seattle south, can't speak of the Tacoma folk.

Pay: System Engineer is probably 85k ish~ + bonus 2 times a year (10-15k each.) Manager is 95k ish + bonus 2 times a year (15-20k each)

Environment: Windows Shop with some Linux boxes, Hyper-V/VMware. 150 servers, 1000 workstations, 100 POS. 24-hour/7days a week business. Hotels, concerts, entertainment. A lot of niche software vendors you need to work with. Regulated environment, sometimes you might be facilitating a remote session to a system and making sure external vendors aren't doing dumb poo poo. Although this is an infrastructure role mainly, as there are other sub departments specializing in application support, helpdesk, etc, you still will assist in one way or another.

What to expect: System Engineer - Project work, technical decisions and tasks, design documentation. Other work which are non official projects, and just general day to day crap like escalation and assisting other IT groups as needed. For the Manager, System Engineers report to you, you report to Infrastructure director. There is high expectations from the director and executive director for this role. You are expected to understand the work that is being done by the System Engineers (ie. Don't say you don't know what the status of a project or issue is and you'll have to get back to them)

Benefits: $20 dollar meal voucher a day at one of the many restaurants on site, also an employee cafeteria. 401k is 3% not matching, just given automatically. Random stuff throughout the year (employee appreciation, Christmas gifts, Thanksgiving gifts, etc. Medical premiums are covered for yourself, if you are adding spouse/kids, it's sort of expensive.

Requirements: Background check required so... no people who got in trouble with the law.

I've been here for about 4 years as a System Engineer, longest place I worked. Management empowers and looks to you to make make the right technical decisions. (ie. You can tell vendor to gently caress off if he's doing something dumb.) Your expected to learn on the job, not necessarily need training for everything. It has it's pros and cons, bonus is nice. Like any other big organization, it's filled with internal drama, just come to work and focus on work and stay out of the negativity talk and you'll be fine. As we do business 24/7, your expected to work Monday to Friday regardless if a holiday is on that day or not. You can though just request the day off if you really want it. You are given extra PTO.

Shoot me a PM if your interested or have any questions.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Looking for a couple of Desktop Support techs - level 1 and 2

Area: Phoenix metro area

Pay: Desktop Support I ($19.75 - $21.97 per hour)
Desktop Support II ($22.19 - $24.68 per hour)

Environment: We're a municipality in the Phoenix metro area looking to fill some vacancies. We work Monday through Thursday, 7am to 6pm. We have roughly 1,200 users that we support in a blended Windows, Mac, iPads, and iPhones. Overall, it's a pretty chill environment and we often have free snacks available at our central location.

What to expect: We have a centralized location for people to bring their equipment in to be looked at, but may occassionally have a need to go onsite at one of our buildings spread throughout the town (we offer mileage reimbursements). Dress code is generally business casual and jeans.

Benefits: 3 day weekend every week! We offer a comprehensive benefit package that includes self-funded medical and dental plans, life insurance, disability, pension, tuition reimbursement and more. These positions are non-exempt (eligible for overtime compensation).

The medical benefits are pretty awesome and have a low out of pocket cost for the higher tier family plans (less than $400 per month for family medical deductions)

Requirements: ** Ability to pass a PD background check is required **

• Associate's degree in Technology or a closely related field
  • 1 year of recent service desk experience with a variety of operating systems, software, hardware, applications and problem-solving for 1200+ users, computer repair experience, troubleshooting and staging of PC hardware and related equipment experience, and customer service
  • A+ Certification is desired but not required
  • Network+ Certification is desired but not required
  • Familiar with Microsoft Windows and Office software and other relevant technologies
  • Familiar with Apple OS/IOS (MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPad)
  • Skill in Active Directory network environments
  • Skilled in research methods and techniques for solving complex repair problems
  • Adept at installing, imaging, diagnosing, and/or resolving problems with personal computer hardware, related peripheral devices, software, and/or network services, and installing local and network-connected printers
  • Ability to troubleshoot and provide client support of network security, software, operating system, and/or system performance issues
  • Valid AZ Driver's License

The positions close on 11/21 so shoot me a PM if interested.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

We are looking for a React-oriented Frontend Engineer (you can see the application here. It's listed as Full Stack but that's because the person who wrote it is a manager and not a developer lol)

Area: Remote (EST preferable)

Pay: $85k-$100k depending on experience and skillset.

Environment: We're a cool, chill startup. If you get the work done you're good, no one will hound you. 9-5, not particularly demanding.

Benefits: Medical/dental/vision through Trinet.

Requirements: React experience, React Native skills a plus. Strong HTML/CSS skills.

Apply through the LinkedIn easy apply and contact me with your resume (send an email to john at finteractions dot com). Also make sure your assessments are solid on LinkedIn, it apparently filters people out who easy apply if they haven't completed assessments matching the needs of the position.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 19, 2021

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Verisimilidude posted:

Pay: Competitive

list the pay

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Inept posted:

list the pay

There you go!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Verisimilidude posted:

There you go!

Good on you. Thanks for doing that.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

My company has hired two goons through this thread! Will you be the third? Come work for an MSP in DC or Chicago area! No clearance = no problem.

edited repost:

Who we are: IT consulting firm

Where we are: DC area, Chicago area.

Job title: hiring for various including middle management for computer janitors, team lead computer janitor, regular computer janitor.

Regular people: You will be providing software and hardware computer consulting to clients ("demarc to desktop" support), mostly for companies ~25-50 endpoints with no in-house IT. You will rarely see your boss or any actual coworkers. Be familiar with or ready to learn about Azure AD, M365, firewalls, ticketing systems, RMM tools. The management position would be you managing a handful of people doing the above.

Salary: Probably 80-90k depending on various things, management..... more than that. lol.

PM me if interested in more information.

Dans Macabre fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Nov 23, 2021

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
No remote, right?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

ilkhan posted:

No remote, right?

Not for these positions unforch

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Who we are: Major Automotive parts retailer
Where we are: Georgia, USA

---

Job title: Application Security Engineer Juior/Senior (Possibly open to Remote)

What we want: Long and short, we're building out an AppSec program. I've been a senior security engineer here for a couple years, and we need to address a lot of security issues in our application development and we just started a digital transformation, this means a lot of 'In on the ground floor' as we're going to be responsible for basically building this program from scratch. There's a lot of changes going on internally at the company as well, so this is a great place to make your mark and get some Resume glitter.

Ideally, we want someone with some programming experience and some infosec experience, at least the ability to know how to look at something and call developers on coding best practices and security best practices. We're both on prem and cloud oriented so experience with both is a plus

PM me for details/job description or link to apply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
looking for UK goons

Who we are: Financial Software company based in the US

Where are we looking: London, though the job is mostly WFH. Normal hours, down the line on-call shifts but we're pretty rarely paged.

Position: Support/Devops/Monitoring/Software Janitor

Looking for someone to join the software engineering group as a support engineer, it's hybrid monitoring/devops/some opportunity for tool development. This role will keep an eye on our health metrics, K8s deploys, various alerts and dashboards and respond appropriately, as well as play in our Backend API playground to fix poo poo when needed. There is a component of supporting our service team so you need to be able to explain techy things to non or semi-techy people as well as understand requests to figure out if we can hack together something for them. The job is WFH as much as you want, but we would like someone who occasionally can get in to our London office now and then.

The previous person in this role transitioned to a senior QA role that we were able to facilitate by having her loaned out 50%+ of the time to learn that side of the house, so we're very encouraging to have people grow out of this job. This will work very closely with my rapid development team so there will be opportunities to do Python, JS, and Java development, but to be clear I wouldn't categorize this as a software engineering role. I am a hard-rear end about not wanting people working more than 40 hour weeks and we are pretty good about holding to that. On-call will be a thing after ~6 months or so, but our rotation right now is like 1 week on every 2 months and we average 1 page every 2-3 weeks in total so the impact is pretty low.

who are we looking for: Jack of many trades techie person. Some programming is a big plus, at least be able to walk through some source code. If you can do more we'll build your responsibilities in that direction. Honestly my ideal person is someone who is trying to become a software developer but maybe needs some experience and a few more skills to get there. I've done really well with people making career switches a bit later in life, but have done well with new grads too. I'd love to get someone on a 2-3 year road to full-stack figgies.

Salary: It's the UK so everything is complex, but we're targeting reasonable entry-level salaries. Around 55-60k GBP seems to be market, we'll adjust up or down depending on the candidate. In the US this role usually is $75k-$85k in Minnesota.

PM me if you want more info or have any questions.