Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
My partner got a job at an office building that's right on a bike path that goes near our neighborhood, which is amazing. She doesn't want to bike everyday, though. I suggested an ebike as a possible commute option, since buses are kinda iffy in a pandemic.

So we're looking for something that's as comfy a car-replacement commute option as possible, for a non-biker. The commute by bike is 15min there + 15min back.

She was looking at this: Electra 2022 Townie Go! 5i EQ Step-Thru mostly because it's in stock at REI.

I don't really know how to evaluate if it's a good option or not, so I thought I'd ask: anything I should watch out for?

Right now, all I see is that it's maybe expensive for what it is (but it sounds like all ebikes are right now? And we need it sooner rather than later, so oh well, we can afford it) and it is 55 lbs. That's probably not a dealbreaker but she does have to lift it up onto an on-the-wall bike rack at the office, so if there were an obviously superior and lighter option...

Also, that battery looked really easy to remove. If you're locking up an ebike, I guess you lock the bike and take the battery with you? (I don't have one myself.) Are they designed for the wear of a daily insert/remove cycle like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
That seems like a good option, sure. REI will also presumably be around for maintenance, so that’s a plus. Most bikes I’ve seen (not that many honestly) let you lock the battery in, so it’s not so easy to steal and mostly gets left with the bike normally.

Nearly all will be that heavy unless you really prioritize weight over carry capacity and battery. (You could afford a minimal battery at that distance, but the flexibility of a longer one is nice for other uses).

Be sure to invest in good gloves or bar mitts, that’s the biggest deal for winter in my opinion.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

If you're willing to spend a bit more, take a look at the Specialized Vado or Como, especially the SL models. They sacrifice some range to save weight, but should still easily handle that commute.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
You also might look at something like the Tern HSD, which costs a little more, and weighs about the same (~56lbs), but can be stood up on its rear rack for storage, along with folding handlebars.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

crazypenguin posted:

it is 55 lbs. That's probably not a dealbreaker but she does have to lift it up onto an on-the-wall bike rack at the office, so if there were an obviously superior and lighter option...

Also, that battery looked really easy to remove. If you're locking up an ebike, I guess you lock the bike and take the battery with you? (I don't have one myself.) Are they designed for the wear of a daily insert/remove cycle like that?

I imagine the battery designers give a tiny bit of thought to the wear cycle, but the mount and battery case are both plastic, so I'd still be going easy on, especially in colder weather.

That said, it weighs 5lbs, so it would make the lockup chore a bit easier taking it off.

Electra being a Trek brand means they'll certainly have longer support than other new e-bike brands, with the non-electric stuff well covered. I could see them pushing off on any problem internal/specific to the motor/battery, though. And I've read a couple complaints online that Bosch is not particularly helpful with warranty claims. In contrast, one of those newer brands might just ship you a whole unit to replace yourself.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The bosch brackets have metal innards, that battery's not coming off without a pry bar. It does come off with a pry bar though (ask me how I know).

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Are Bosch battery brackets bike/manufacturer specific? I’m trying to get a dual battery setup for my Gazelle Ultimate T10+ but the bracket is backordered through Gazelle and I haven’t heard anything in like 2 months so far, is it possible I could source whatever random Bosch downtube bracket and have the dealer install it?

2 months in and I am absolutely sold on this ebike as a primary mode of transportation now. I’d been waffling on them for like 3 years as I’ve been using regular bikes for transportation and fitness. I’ve maybe put 100 miles on my road bike in that time, compared to probably 400mi per month pre-ebike although I’ve got a shoulder issue that the Dutch style bike really helps with over riding hoods/drops.

Grocery/Target run last night with rain and 20-30mph wind. Kinda poo poo to ride in and conditions I’d never try even on my all-road/gravelly All-City, but the wind wasn’t an issue in the physical sense as far as effort goes. Motor don’t care:

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 30, 2021

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Flying_Crab posted:

Are Bosch battery brackets bike/manufacturer specific? I’m trying to get a dual battery setup for my Gazelle Ultimate T10+ but the bracket is backordered through Gazelle and I haven’t heard anything in like 2 months so far, is it possible I could source whatever random Bosch downtube bracket and have the dealer install it?
"It depends". Some bikes use a common upper/lower braket, yours seems integrated with the 2 batteries running side by side under a custom cover? The 2-pack kit costs $150 so it probably includes a bunch of hardware you need. I'd try and see if you can buy the second battery now (if you can swap packs easily) and the kit later.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Second battery on mine is a standard Powerpack and not a Powertube (which is what’s under the cover):

https://www.gazellebikes.com/media/gene-cms/w/e/web_dual_battery_kit_uiltimate_factsheet_-_eng_usa_1_.pdf

Just wondering if that’s a standard piece as far as the mounting hardware goes or specific to Gazelle there. Obviously the electrics are going to be the same.

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

Got to test out a RadRunner today on a trail outside of Indianapolis, and had a great time! I was impressed that the throttle still felt powerful even though I am pretty significantly over the advertised capacity.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I need to take a second to rant and/or give a warning about a thing to look out for:
EVERY HUB MOTOR BIKE I HAVE ENCOUNTERED HAS hosed UP ITS DISC BRAKE SETUP!

Now for the explanation of what's going on: Disc Mounting tabs have a very specific location relative to the midpoint of the wheel axle as shown here:

Unfortunately every frame with vertical dropouts seems to be built with 10mm axles in mind instead of the 14mm axles with flat side you often find on hub motors:

This moves the rotor 1-2mm away from the disc caliper, which results in brake pad overhang:

As the pads wear, the overhang will collide and inhibit braking even when there is a usable amount of pad remaining. The only solution to this design flaw I have been able to find is to use a 180mm adapter with a 185mm rotor. Depending on the angles you might need washers under the caliper to get the spacing just right.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Nov 8, 2021

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I'm considering upgrading the stock disc brakes on my Super73 ZX to something like Magura MT4 eSTOPs front and back. Anyone have any experience with these brakes? I guess it's appropriate to change the discs as well if I do the swap.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

My better half has a bike with MT4 and they're fine. Kinda demanding to adjust if your brake mounts aren't aligned 100% (we had them faced and that fixed it). Really progressive, good power. The only thing I don't like the iffy maintainability (I have Hopes where every last part is available forever) and bleeding is meh.
For the money I'd have no qualms using them.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

evil_bunnY posted:

My better half has a bike with MT4 and they're fine. Kinda demanding to adjust if your brake mounts aren't aligned 100% (we had them faced and that fixed it). Really progressive, good power. The only thing I don't like the iffy maintainability (I have Hopes where every last part is available forever) and bleeding is meh.
For the money I'd have no qualms using them.

Thanks. Did some more research and it seems like the MT4 eStops don't cut power to the motor etc, which is kinda pointless. MT4e's (that have that function) are not available to the aftermarket according to Magura. I'd have to step up to the MT5e's, but 4 piston brakes might be a bit overkill. Are there any other brands that are better value for the money, or just plain better?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I'm sorry we have MT5's (the quad piston jobbies). Bike was at the shop so couldn't look at them.

IME Maguras just have insane power with good feel (My blingy Hope tech3 e4's don't feel as powerful) but you pay for it in slightly annoying maintenance.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I rode regular bike on normal ebike route, which I thought was flat, for the first time in 2 years.

My friends, it is not flat, it is not flat at all.

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug
Is there a bike gear thread? I need recommendation on gloves for the upcoming winter (Chicago, commuting, all weather) and this is the only thread I have bookmarked... Search is failing me.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

SamsCola posted:

Is there a bike gear thread? I need recommendation on gloves for the upcoming winter (Chicago, commuting, all weather) and this is the only thread I have bookmarked... Search is failing me.

There's a commuting thread that's prob the right place for winter gear qs:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933970

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Personally I use ski gloves in the winter

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

I made the mistake of test-riding some bikes this weekend. I now really want an ebike even more than I used to. Pray for my wallet.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

L0cke17 posted:

I made the mistake of test-riding some bikes this weekend. I now really want an ebike even more than I used to. Pray for my wallet.
:pray:

What caught your interest the most?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Cugel the Clever posted:

:pray:

What caught your interest the most?

Honestly? The radpower radwagon 4.

It seems perfect for taking the baby places plus all the poo poo a baby needs for a few hours. It was shockingly nice to ride. I was not expecting that. A bit on the heavy side but it's also a huge bike.

I tried a few out and despite the radwagon being a bit heavy to pedal with no assist it seemed completely acceptable for what I need it to do. It's got plenty of range to get to work and back a few times or get to the grandparents house and back twice in a day with no charge needed.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

L0cke17 posted:

It seems perfect for taking the baby places plus all the poo poo a baby needs for a few hours. It was shockingly nice to ride. I was not expecting that. A bit on the heavy side but it's also a huge bike.

I tried a few out and despite the radwagon being a bit heavy to pedal with no assist it seemed completely acceptable for what I need it to do. It's got plenty of range to get to work and back a few times or get to the grandparents house and back twice in a day with no charge needed.

I was looking at this, too, but it was out of stock for something like 6 months so I ended up 'settling' for the roadrunner plus. It's a little less unwieldy due to the shorter length and (though still kind of heavy) and can seat one baby just fine, but I miss out on the cargo capacity of my two pannier bags on my old bike. It is definitely a nice purchase and had saved us from having to buy a second car for the near future so definitely worth it.

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

PageMaster posted:

I was looking at this, too, but it was out of stock for something like 6 months so I ended up 'settling' for the roadrunner plus. It's a little less unwieldy due to the shorter length and (though still kind of heavy) and can seat one baby just fine, but I miss out on the cargo capacity of my two pannier bags on my old bike. It is definitely a nice purchase and had saved us from having to buy a second car for the near future so definitely worth it.

I made some slight modifications to my radrunner so I can use two panniers and their large basket. I can get you a parts list later, if you want.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Rad dominates Seattle's ebike usage right now, with the only thing putting a dent in it is Amazon's recent subsidized Van Moof leases.

Anyone know of talk about where exactly things will be with batteries a decade down the road? Thinking specifically battery degradation and replacement. If they cut manufacture of batteries that fit my bike, it'd turn it into just a pretty cumbersome acoustic bike as the battery holds less and less of a charge.

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

Cugel the Clever posted:

Rad dominates Seattle's ebike usage right now, with the only thing putting a dent in it is Amazon's recent subsidized Van Moof leases.

Anyone know of talk about where exactly things will be with batteries a decade down the road? Thinking specifically battery degradation and replacement. If they cut manufacture of batteries that fit my bike, it'd turn it into just a pretty cumbersome acoustic bike as the battery holds less and less of a charge.

Getting the name-brand parts is going to become a problem down the line. Rad, for instance, introduced a new battery type with the latest radcity model. It's more integrated into the tube, like some of the other manufacturers are doing.

Hopefully third parties will keep whichever form factor you use alive for as long as you use it. I have a 15 year old DSLR that I can still get batteries for on Amazon, so I just have to hope that I'll be able to get a replacement rad battery when I need it. Either that or make some sort of adapter or replacement battery mount system.

Now that I say that, I realize that it would actually just take a replacement battery mount to switch my bike to a new battery system. As long as the voltage is correct, the controller doesn't care where the electricity is coming from....

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

L0cke17 posted:

e-cargo's are the loving best. budget for a set of hydro brakes and off you go.

Cugel the Clever posted:

If you really manage to kill the cells in your pack you just send it to a rebuild place and they shove new 18650's in there. You'll probably come out of it with a pack holding 150% of the original rated capacity (because modern cells are awesome and pedelec engines pull almost no power).

rules

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Nov 24, 2021

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

SamsCola posted:

I made some slight modifications to my radrunner so I can use two panniers and their large basket. I can get you a parts list later, if you want.

Sure i'd love that. Not sure if it will also work with the child carrier but I'm assuming it would. If you have PM I can send your a note

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

I'm super loving my Radrunner converted for fishing/camping trips at state parks. I got so many compliments on it last weekend. It holds my tackle bag and up to 6 fishing poles on the back and my beer cooler bag in the front rack.

I installed a bike rack that goes above the trailer's tongue jack and holds the bike above the propane tanks. It's rated for 100lbs so I can only hang one bike on there and since the Radrunner is pretty big anyway, I wouldn't trust two of them on that rack. Having said that, I don't have room to travel with two e-bikes to have one for my wife and one for myself. We bought a larger wheel Razor scooter for the other person to use to help get to the lakes from the camping sites. It works fine but now I want to look to replace it with a folding e-scooter to help with the uphills. Is there a thread around here for e-scooters? I'm just looking at Amazon for now to see what's popular.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug

PageMaster posted:

Sure i'd love that. Not sure if it will also work with the child carrier but I'm assuming it would. If you have PM I can send your a note

Clamps: https://www.mcmaster.com/2534T31/

Rubber sheets to shim the clamps with and prevent them from rotating freely: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018H9CCPG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Spacers to raise the basket up off the frame. This gives clearance for the clamps. I ended up ordering a couple varieties of this style and I don't recall whether this was the one I ended up going with or not. I think the ones I have have about 1.5 inch of clearance:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0816NDPVF?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

The silver pipe is either 1/2" or 3/4" EMT conduit from the hardware store. I don't recall which size I ended up with. In any case, 1" is too large for the clips on my bags. It's easy enough to cut down with a hacksaw.

I also had to get some longer bolts to secure the basket down with. It's surprisingly hard to find metric hardware at the store. I think I ended up getting bolts, washers, and locking nylon nuts from McMaster as well.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Woohoo! I hit 1 kilomile on the way to work!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Do yall have a preference on where the assist control is? Mine is left-mounted by design, but I think of assist as analogous to gearing (and my ebike is single speed), so I flipped it over to the right side. I have a separate head unit that's mounted in front of the stem, so there's no text display issue.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Woohoo! I hit 1 kilomile on the way to work!
Congrats!

Though what is going on with those planters in the bike lane?? :smith:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Thanks!

The bike lane is to the left of the planters. The planter lane separates the bike lane from the traffic. I pulled out of the bike lane to take a picture because there were other riders behind me.

That whole stretch of 8th avenue is getting some work done, so the bike lane situation is confusing. Sometimes it's to the left, sometimes there are planters to the left and the bike lane is right next to the car lanes. Maybe they'll fix it in time for next spring.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
My almost 80 yo mom got a new lectric xp stepthru and asked me to go riding with her, then she laughed at me cause I couldn't keep up with her on a hill. :mad:

e: and I can't even have fun riding it since the seatpost's too short. Double :mad:

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 7, 2021

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Wifi Toilet posted:

My almost 80 yo mom got a new lectric xp stepthru and asked me to go riding with her, then she laughed at me cause I couldn't keep up with her on a hill. :mad:
queen

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Just ordered my ebike last night!

Ended up getting a radrunner 6 plus. I was swayed away from getting the cargo bike because the baby is growing so fast he'll probably not fit in a bike seat in 2 years so I might as well get the bike I'll want for the next 10 years than the one that's most convenient for the next 2.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Looks like Rad Power is raising prices at the end of the year: https://electrek.co/2021/12/14/largest-e-bike-company-in-the-us-rad-power-bikes-says-it-has-to-raise-prices-heres-why/

I also love to hate read comments on things like this. There's a guy who thinks you should consider the 'cost of commute time' and 'physical work' as part of the cost of an ebike.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

frogbs posted:

Looks like Rad Power is raising prices at the end of the year: https://electrek.co/2021/12/14/largest-e-bike-company-in-the-us-rad-power-bikes-says-it-has-to-raise-prices-heres-why/

I also love to hate read comments on things like this. There's a guy who thinks you should consider the 'cost of commute time' and 'physical work' as part of the cost of an ebike.

Did the article say how much the prices are going up? I may have missed it.

I've been seriously considering a Radrunner, but haven't had the time or energy to research or test ride lately. Unfortunately probably won't before the end of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

frogbs posted:

I'm not quite sure I understand what that means, but the answer is to ride the bus then. You can do moderately fun stuff while riding the bus. There's no reading, writing, or playing games while driving (unless you're in a Tesla 🙃)