Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
In better news I had a follow up appt with my doc today for all the crazy medical poo poo I went through recently, and she made sure to ask if I'd gotten my Covid booster yet (I have an appt next Tuesday), so it's nice to see that some doctors are on it. I wish my father-in-law's doctors would push him to get his booster but he keeps putting it off and he's in an age range where it's much more critical. We've been pushing him and trying to get him an appt set up but so far he's dragging his feet. :sigh:

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

VitalSigns posted:

I love how we're in a constant state of refusing to ever learn from the past.

Every time covid recedes a bit: the pandemic is over, I don't want to hear about lockdowns, back to brunch everybody, no cases won't go right back up you're just an incel shut-in! Just because they went back up every other time doesn't mean it will happen again, It's Different This Time!

Cases go right back up when everybody goes to brunch, obviously: nobody could have predicted this, well it's too late now, stop talking about "could have beens"!

There's a real sense of futility to it when a big chunk of the population isn't compliant and doesn't show any sign they ever will be compliant.

My sense is that the others in this thread who say "COVID is not going away" don't mean to say it physically cannot be eliminated from the population, more that there is not and will not be the political will to take the steps necessary to do so. I mean, I'm sure there's a "lmbo who's the doombrainer now??" coming (sure, it's me, deal with it), but at this point I don't have any hope that there will be a shift where enough people (whether in the public at large or in power) decide that COVID must be eliminated to actually accomplish it.

I'd love to be wrong about it. I'd be happy to spend a couple of months in isolation to beat this thing... if enough other people are also doing part as well. I'm just not seeing a path to that happening. Please show us how we get there.

(no, i don't go to brunch or any other bar/restaurant/concert/other mass public indoor activity. i visit with friends and family in each others' homes.)

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

We are 50 semi-independent nations that sort of hold together for highway funding and protection by the most overfunded military in the world and the markets it creates and protects access to, a nation defined by regional difference and the rural-urban divide and all the contradictions that entails. The gambit for China and other countries I may be missing who are trying to maintain low levels through traditional methods is probably to keep it from going nuts until vaccination is universal and other therapies to reduce hospitalizations and severity are developed

I think it's not inevitable that regionalism was going to sink things. We have our own issues with that in Canada and managed to pull off a third of the deaths per capita.

Like mask mandates, lockdowns, health care? That's entirely the domain of the provinces, the feds can't really tell them what to do there other than providing funding. The response varied wildly. The maritimes got together and made a quarantine bubble, Ontario locked down for seven months from December to June, the prairies blew away mask mandates over the summer and had the most overloaded hospitals in the country, there was no real coordination and plenty of pushback from certain dumbass right wing premiers.

But there were differences. Our lovely right wing provincial governments actually faced some pushback in the polls for their dumbassity, even in traditionally right wing strongholds. After opening everything up and causing the biggest spike in the country in Alberta, Jason Kenney's popularity is now sitting at something like 30%, with only 20% thinking he's done good on the pandemic/health care. If an election were held in the near future his party would be crushed by the left wing NDP based on the polls. Or what Doug Ford keeps doing in Ontario, where it'll leak that he's planning to open something up or drop restrictions, it becomes clear based on polls people think it's a loving terrible idea, and suddenly whoops we aren't doing that anymore.

Honestly I blame the difference in media landscape. We have idiot right wingers, we have antivax and antimask protesters, but neither vaccines or masks have become politicised on the same scale as in the US.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'd love to be wrong about it. I'd be happy to spend a couple of months in isolation to beat this thing... if enough other people are also doing part as well. I'm just not seeing a path to that happening. Please show us how we get there.

Imo it's a collective action problem. All last year all polling showed that the majority wanted more covid restrictions not less. If the government actually takes it seriously and mandates it, it works. People will make sacrifices for the common good if they think it's making a difference and we're all in this together. But if you just open bars and go "ok personal responsibility everyone", then of course most people aren't going to lock down on their own when they see hundreds of other people out spreading it and cases exploding regardless of what they personally do. Making everyone lock down for a few weeks or a month to crush community spread like Australia is doable, telling people to stay home for a year because their neighbors are out clubbing every Friday ain't gonna happen.

I remember having this conversion with a friend of mine in Florida in October 2020. He was like "gently caress it I'm going on vacation and going to parties again because I was good for 6 months and nobody else did it so what's the point". (He then subsequently got covid. Luckily he was fine. ) Plenty of people like my friend who will do the right thing if we're all in it together but sees no point in being the good person staying home indefinitely while it spreads out of control anyway. It's not all-or-nothing, everyone is either good liberals locking themselves in their houses forever or bad chuds who will never follow the rules.

Imo this helplessness of "well everyone won't do it anyway" is just consent manufacturing from the business interests who never wanted to do anything.

It's like paying taxes, if you charge half a cent sales tax to build a park people think it's worth it, if you ask them to donate a half cent of every dollar they spend of course they aren't going to do it if the guy behind them isn't. What's the point of them paying in if the park won't get enough funding anyway thanks to all the people not contributing

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 23, 2021

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Anyone vaguely familiar with the Maritime health system, from patients to doctors, realized they couldn't count on the system to actually survive "Open Er Up" like they were doing everyone else. People die waiting for ambulances here or have long term health effects waiting for health care PRE covid

As well the far right in the province doesn't exist - there was that one idiot state rep (MLA) who tried to block the NS/NB border with 15 idiots and got kicked out the party the next day

I think I saw it in the other thread but in NS they knew no one was coming to save them and bought in. Seeing what happened to us while they got to actually mostly live their lives (no nightclubs, but bars and gyms and patios with occasional lockdowns) reinforced the common community action.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Isentropy posted:

Anyone vaguely familiar with the Maritime health system, from patients to doctors, realized they couldn't count on the system to actually survive "Open Er Up" like they were doing everyone else. People die waiting for ambulances here or have long term health effects waiting for health care PRE covid

As well the far right in the province doesn't exist - there was that one idiot state rep (MLA) who tried to block the NS/NB border with 15 idiots and got kicked out the party the next day

I think I saw it in the other thread but in NS they knew no one was coming to save them and bought in. Seeing what happened to us while they got to actually mostly live their lives (no nightclubs, but bars and gyms and patios with occasional lockdowns) reinforced the common community action.

The maritime conservatives are basically the only surviving pocket of red tories left in the country, right?

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Alctel posted:

The maritime conservatives are basically the only surviving pocket of red tories left in the country, right?

Yup, they went through great pains to point out they have nothing in common with the Conservative Party of Canada (that has none left) in the last provincial election, which they won handily

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Same here, heard from various friends and family about how the booster was worse, but I felt way more normal after the booster. Shot 2 gave me a super sore arm and a pounding headache when I woke up the next day, booster gave me a barely sore arm for the evening. Hell, shot 1 was worse than this
Inconsistent booster side effects after global shipping crisis makes microchips hard to get! :tinfoil:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

UCS Hellmaker posted:

People like you are what drive everyone out, because you don't want to discuss anything but instead scream about the same poo poo endlessly and never acknowledge when you are wrong or incorrect. It's literally all you've done for months. You are the exact opposite of what Jeff was talking about.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Is it worth doing a rapid antigen test at home if you don't have symptoms, or will they pretty much always show negative if you're asymptomatic? I have situations where I'm around unmasked people in public regularly and it occurred to me that regular testing might be a decent way of mitigating some risk...

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Is it worth doing a rapid antigen test at home if you don't have symptoms, or will they pretty much always show negative if you're asymptomatic? I have situations where I'm around unmasked people in public regularly and it occurred to me that regular testing might be a decent way of mitigating some risk...

The rule of thumb here has always been if you have rapid antigen tests, use them for asymptomatic testing. If you have any symptoms get a PCR and isolate until you get the results.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How much do rapid tests cost over there in Canada?

While we’re on the subject of the cost of the cost of risk mitigation,

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What *IS* your justification for extreme isolation at this point? You’ve had vaccination (possibly more than three) AND talk about an expensive respirator you own. What do you get out of also self isolating? Why can’t you see friends or family or go places? Is there a level of protection you could imagine that you feel like you could leave the house safely wearing?

I don’t know if that’s the model that Mod Sassinator uses because he actually doesn’t talk about it much. It has my seal of approval, though.

I just don’t want anyone to be misinformed about the cost or availability of highly effective PPE.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Platystemon posted:

How much do rapid tests cost over there in Canada?

In general you can only get them done in pharmacies which will only do them for asymptomatic testing, primarily for travel. Used to be $40 at Shoppers Drugmart (our CVS equivalent) each since they wouldn't let you just buy it and do it yourself. Thankfully Costco has decided recently to undercut them to hell and has been doing them for $16 each from what I heard. By comparison the actual per-test cost direct from Abbot or BD is something like $4 CAD a test.

That being said a number of workplaces have had rapid testing in place since the summer. Either it's done on-site or people are sent home with a full box and told to test every 3 days. There's a bit of surplus now since a lot of places with rapid testing programs just fired everyone who was unvaxxed and didn't meet the very narrow legit medical exemptions. Some hospitals for example have been letting any staff interested get a box for free. Nabbed one myself, it'll be super handy for the holidays.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Platystemon posted:

I don’t know if that’s the model that Mod Sassinator uses because he actually doesn’t talk about it much. It has my seal of approval, though.

I just don’t want anyone to be misinformed about the cost or availability of highly effective PPE.

Presumably the idea of owning that and still feeling the need stay in extreme isolation and not see friends or family or go anywhere is that those somehow do not provide sufficient protection in some way. With the question of 'what would" if not that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

In general you can only get them done in pharmacies which will only do them for asymptomatic testing, primarily for travel. Used to be $40 at Shoppers Drugmart (our CVS equivalent) each since they wouldn't let you just buy it and do it yourself. Thankfully Costco has decided recently to undercut them to hell and has been doing them for $16 each from what I heard. By comparison the actual per-test cost direct from Abbot or BD is something like $4 CAD a test.

That being said a number of workplaces have had rapid testing in place since the summer. Either it's done on-site or people are sent home with a full box and told to test every 3 days. There's a bit of surplus now since a lot of places with rapid testing programs just fired everyone who was unvaxxed and didn't meet the very narrow legit medical exemptions. Some hospitals for example have been letting any staff interested get a box for free. Nabbed one myself, it'll be super handy for the holidays.

Huh.

I thought I had heard that Canada was going to subsidize them like Germany or the UK.

COVID outbreaks are expensive to businesses and testing every three days at bulk prices makes sense for them, but sixteen dollars apiece for personal use really adds up.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

A good read if you want to be disturbed about disparate pandemic impact:

https://twitter.com/jfeldman_epi/status/1463196146860539918?s=20

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Huh.

I thought I had heard that Canada was going to subsidize them like Germany or the UK.

COVID outbreaks are expensive to businesses and testing every three days at bulk prices makes sense for them, but sixteen dollars apiece for personal use really adds up.

My understanding is they were massively subsidized for businesses that wanted to do rapid test programs, at least in Ontario. Ontario is also sending every school aged kid home with five free tests for the holiday break to test during and before they head back to class. But this sort of gets into what I was saying before. The feds can buy a shitload of tests or offer to subsidize them all they want but it's up to the provinces to actually use them and implement programs since health care is their domain.

Trust me I am all for us adopting the UK "Send any random person in the country who wants them some tests" policy, but that's probably not possible given how our healthcare system is organized. Canadian provinces scream just as loud as US states when the Feds step into things that are their responsibility.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 23, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Presumably the idea of owning that and still feeling the need stay in extreme isolation and not see friends or family or go anywhere is that those somehow do not provide sufficient protection in some way. With the question of 'what would" if not that.

Who is staying in extreme isolation? Sorry; I don’t keep tabs on individual posters.

The C-SPAM thread has long had a mantra of “only trust your respirator”. If you ask me, that’s a whole lot healthier than giving a poo poo about people with uncovered noses walking the wrong way in the supermarket.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Platystemon posted:

Who is staying in extreme isolation? Sorry; I don’t keep tabs on individual posters.

The C-SPAM thread has long had a mantra of “only trust your respirator”. If you ask me, that’s a whole lot healthier than giving a poo poo about people with uncovered noses walking the wrong way in the supermarket.

You can trust in your own respirator while still being annoyed that other people can't even do the bare minimum of following a simple government mandate meant to keep others safe. I mean, I get frustrated because I actually give a poo poo about the continued spread and the toll that the unvaxxed are putting on our ailing healthcare infrastructure, and I'm skeptical about polling which says that a vast majority of Americans want stricter NPIs when so many of them seem incapable of basic poo poo like "wearing a mask," and in fact have decided that wearing a mask is the most inconvenient assault on their freedoms ever.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 23, 2021

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

The Scientist posted:

Monday was day 11 of quarantine for me (first felt symptoms 2 fridays ago). I got tested again today and tested positive, but its been more than the 10 days that the state dept. of health contact tracer said to quarantine for, do I need to continue quarantining?

I don't think it matters but I'm vaccinated

e: I am still having minor symptoms, cough, head congestion and runny nose

Just an update on this, I talked to my physician and he said its typical to keep testing poz for up to 12 weeks but that its "inactive virus" after the 10 day quarantine period. I'm gonna keep quarantining and wear a mask tho

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I really don't want to hear that covid zero is possible in the United States when we have a sizable chunk of the population that is armed to the teeth and itching to murder anyone who tries to do literally anything to control the spread of the virus. This is the reality and pretending that some magic combination of words or policies is going to solve this is lunacy.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

cr0y posted:

I really don't want to hear that covid zero is possible in the United States when we have a sizable chunk of the population that is armed to the teeth and itching to murder anyone who tries to do literally anything to control the spread of the virus. This is the reality and pretending that some magic combination of words or policies is going to solve this is lunacy.

The only magic words here are "Marek's disease but for people" pretty much

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Wang Commander posted:

The only magic words here are "Marek's disease but for people" pretty much

Is there any reason to think covid has anything to do with chicken herpes virus other than mareks being a constant hero of fringe antivaxx movement because it “proves” vaccines are bad and harmful?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is there any reason to think covid has anything to do with chicken herpes virus other than mareks being a constant hero of fringe antivaxx movement because it “proves” vaccines are bad and harmful?

No

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean the only way we get support for NPIs in the US is a variant that massacres the unvaxxed

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Wang Commander posted:

I mean the only way we get support for NPIs in the US is a variant that massacres the unvaxxed
I'm just some dude but I'm not excited by the idea of more people dying to preventable diseases just so they willingly protect themselves from preventable diseases.

Put me down for the controversial "It would be good if less people died instead of more" position. That's the goal of vaccination and npi's right? Less people dying?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Owl, must you play six degrees of antivaxx with everything?

“Antivaxxers recommend wearing masks to protect from ‘vaccine shedding’, therefore anyone who continues to advocate wearing masks is antivax!”

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Wang Commander posted:

I think it's pretty obvious a hard enough lockdown works against any disease and the Aus/NZ lockdowns failed due to dwindling compliance and inadequate enforcement.

I know they probably all look the same from abroad but Sydney, Canberra, Melbourne and Auckland are all quite different cities with different demographics. Canberra for example is a highly educated, highly suburban city that had been completely COVID-free and restriction-free for over a year (hence no lockdown fatigue) and still failed to eliminate Delta with a quick, hard lockdown. They contained it, at about 10-20 cases a day, but never managed to drive it to zero.

Note that Vietnam and Thailand, the other two big COVID-zero success stories, also fell to Delta. I don't know what China/Taiwan/HK are doing that manages to quash their repeated Delta incursions but it's fair to say that both police states and liberal democracies with island advantages have failed to do so, it sure as hell isn't about to happen in the United States or Europe. We had our chance at COVID-zero last year but Delta has killed it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Platystemon posted:

Owl, must you play six degrees of antivaxx with everything?

“Antivaxxers recommend wearing masks to protect from ‘vaccine shedding’, therefore anyone who continues to advocate wearing masks is antivax!”

What is the point of talking about Mareks except “vaccine bad”? It’s the only reason to bring it up.

It’s an obscure chicken disease totally unrelated to covid in any way except for being a darling of the antivaxx movement.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What is the point of talking about Mareks except “vaccine bad”? It’s the only reason to bring it up.

It’s an obscure chicken disease totally unrelated to covid in any way except for being a darling of the antivaxx movement.

I don't know for sure of course but my understanding was this was said in reference to a major outbreak and death among the unvaccinated, which would relate to:

quote:

Acute Marek's disease is an epidemic in a previously uninfected or unvaccinated flock, causing depression, paralysis, and death in a large number of birds (up to 80%). The age of onset is much earlier than the classic form; birds are four to eight weeks old when affected. Infiltration into multiple organs/tissue is observed.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Marek's disease was originally referenced by anti-vaxxers because of one paper showing that vaccination stimulated a more deadly variant. One of the authors had to push back on this himself because the results were being deliberately misinterpreted.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It is an archetype.

Wang Commander brings it up to say that only this very particular happening would result in the postulated scenario.

Like, if someone said “what would it take to unite the people of Earth?”, the archetype of a world‐uniting event is an invasion of aliens from outer space.

It doesn’t follow that a person who raises that example believes in flying saucers and little green men.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Bel Shazar posted:

I don't know for sure of course but my understanding was this was said in reference to a major outbreak and death among the unvaccinated, which would relate to:

Marek's is a particular herpes virus that effects chickens nerves. For a long time it caused minor paralysis and was fairly rarely fatal. In the 1970s a vaccine was developed. At some point in the 80s and 90s a much more dangerous strain came along that infects other tissues and is often fatal. But the vaccine continued to work against the new strains. Moving it from an optional vaccination to a required one.

At some point a paper was published questioning if it might be the case that vaccine helped select for the more dangerous strain. Which might be true or might not be, but it became instant required reading for the antivaxx crowd as it was their final 'proof" that vaccines were dangerous, it is held as the shining example that vaccines are dangerous and worsen disease and should not be taken by anyone, as they worsen things for everyone.

It's a relatively unremarkable disease outside of that. There has never been any conclusive proof vaccine did anything to create the newer strains, or that it didn't, it was a pretty "what if" paper, and there has never been any proof that is common to any other vaccine, but if you read about someone mentioning merak that paper is what they are talking about and the whole belief system that vaccines worsen disease and are a danger to unvaccinated people.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Marek's is a particular herpes virus that effects chickens nerves. For a long time it caused minor paralysis and was fairly rarely fatal. In the 1970s a vaccine was developed. At some point in the 80s and 90s a much more dangerous strain came along that infects other tissues and is often fatal. But the vaccine continued to work against the new strains. Moving it from an optional vaccination to a required one.

At some point a paper was published questioning if it might be the case that vaccine helped select for the more dangerous strain. Which might be true or might not be, but it became instant required reading for the antivaxx crowd as it was their final 'proof" that vaccines were dangerous, it is held as the shining example that vaccines are dangerous and worsen disease and should not be taken by anyone, as they worsen things for everyone.

It's a relatively unremarkable disease outside of that. There has never been any conclusive proof vaccine did anything to create the newer strains, or that it didn't, it was a pretty "what if" paper, and there has never been any proof that is common to any other vaccine, but if you read about someone mentioning merak that paper is what they are talking about and the whole belief system that vaccines worsen disease and are a danger to unvaccinated people.

It just didn't track like the course of the disease was the point of referring to it. I get using that as a heuristic but i think you got a false positive here.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Immune systems are bad for the same reason imo

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

VitalSigns posted:

So is weeding fields of grain.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Wang Commander posted:

With vaccines now fully politicized the temptation to have an "accidental lab leak" of smallpox to swing the midterms has to be so huge.

I wonder how different it would have been if Covid caused physical disfigurement a la smallpox. I know having your lungs turned to jelly and death has apparently not been much of a turn off for a lot of people, but humans have an instinctive revulsion to diseases that look like smallpox.

Would all the Chuds be lining up to get vaccinated so they didn't end up horrifically scarred or would they all be trying to catch it so they could wear the scars as badges of pride to own the libs with their stupid clear skins?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

VitalSigns posted:

It's not like you don't see that argument from people as well, that spending resources on helping sick people is immoral because helping "weak" people survive will breed stronger disease. That twisted and nonsensical 'survival of the fittest' concept is common in awful eugenics discourse.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Illuminti posted:

I wonder how different it would have been if Covid caused physical disfigurement a la smallpox. I know having your lungs turned to jelly and death has apparently not been much of a turn off for a lot of people, but humans have an instinctive revulsion to diseases that look like smallpox.

Would all the Chuds be lining up to get vaccinated so they didn't end up horrifically scarred or would they all be trying to catch it so they could wear the scars as badges of pride to own the libs with their stupid clear skins?

Dumbfucks would inflict the scars themselves to prove that they already had it and are therefore immune and exempt from all restrictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Illuminti posted:

I think you know the answer to that question.

Voluntary scarring and disfigurement