Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

Cowboys vs Aliens but it's the aliens from Arrival

Seriously though you make a good point in that Cowboys vs. Aliens didn't get nearly weird enough. It was all just space ships and laser gauntlets, unless I'm forgetting stuff which is totally possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

MrMojok posted:

Cannot believe you guys of ALL PEOPLE have forgotten the classic “Billy the Kid vs. Dracula”

(It came on our Classic Movies channel here last month when they were showing a lot of horror. I hadn’t thought of it since I was a kid)

And lets not forget the seminal horror classic, Billy the Kid and the Green Baize Vampire :haw:

edit: Cowboys vs Aliens was just weird enough, playing the premise of Aliens coming for OUR GOLD completely straight. It's one of those movies that don't actually need jokes to be hilarous.

married but discreet fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 23, 2021

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Westworld kinda was.

What about Gallowswalker with Wesley Snipes?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Let's not talk about Gallowswalker with Wesley Snipes.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

While we're covering horror Westerns and genre mashups, what about horror in a war setting?

The Keep, right?

Any others?

When I was a kid I seem to remember there was a comic book or two that covered such territory. Weird War is a title I remember.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Zwabu posted:

While we're covering horror Westerns and genre mashups, what about horror in a war setting?

The Keep, right?

Any others?

When I was a kid I seem to remember there was a comic book or two that covered such territory. Weird War is a title I remember.

Overlord i think it was called? WW2 Zombie movie

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

Overlord i think it was called? WW2 Zombie movie

Oh, yeah, saw it and enjoyed it in the theater.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Zwabu posted:

a lot (maybe all?) of war movies at least partially traffic in horror and existentialism, but without the genre pulp

two spring to mind as maybe being outright horror: 'Johnny Got His Gun' has probably the most horrifying ending sequence of any war film i've ever seen and the whole thing is pretty much a nightmare. 'Come and See' is a powerhouse too

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I can't remember if "Dogs of War" actually happened in a war setting, or in a military peacetime setting.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

alf_pogs posted:

a lot (maybe all?) of war movies at least partially traffic in horror and existentialism, but without the genre pulp

two spring to mind as maybe being outright horror: 'Johnny Got His Gun' has probably the most horrifying ending sequence of any war film i've ever seen and the whole thing is pretty much a nightmare. 'Come and See' is a powerhouse too

poser

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Ghosts of War was spectacularly terrible.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Zwabu posted:

The Keep, right?

Any others?

Jacob's Ladder?

I don't know if you would count horror movies where military personnel are the protagonists, such as Dog Soldiers or Aliens.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I watched The Cremator, a Czechoslovakian new wave movie set shortly before WW2, for the October challenge. It was insanely good but I honestly don't know if it's horror or history or both.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

This was the title I was looking for not dogs of war.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Splint Chesthair posted:

Jacob's Ladder?

I don't know if you would count horror movies where military personnel are the protagonists, such as Dog Soldiers or Aliens.

Yeah its an interesting line. Dog Soliders features the titular characters, but isn’t a war movie. Predator feels closer, but also not technically in a war. Snow Zombies has nazi zombies, but again, same problem.

I’ve heard lots of supernatural stories from people who were in war in Afghanistan. Actually that rings a bell. Love/Death/Robots did episodes like that. Season 1 episodes 10 & 18.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Zwabu posted:

This was the title I was looking for not dogs of war.

Dogs of War is a better title anyway

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Tarnop posted:

Writes down "Hateful Eight x The Thing" in nanowrimo_ideas.docx

Hateful Eight is already The Thing. Morricone was chosen for that reason and makes it super obvious. It even ends the same haha.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
For a really lovely western/thriller, there's Diablo (2015), starring Clint Eastwood's kid and Walton Goggins. Some great scenery and landscape shots, but every part of the storytelling is incompetent, particularly in handling the twist.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Brimstone is a pretty brutal revisionist Western. It's not a horror movie at all but it'd pair well with something like the Proposition.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, watching High Plains Drifter for the first time with my parents was a bit squirmy there at the beginning :yikes: They didn't show anything on screen because it was the 60s, but they also casually dismissed sexual assault because it was the 60s.

Darko posted:

Hateful Eight is already The Thing. Morricone was chosen for that reason and makes it super obvious. It even ends the same haha.

If only the original alien could have been identified as easily as 'looks dishonest' :allears:

H8 is OK, I feel it suffers from a lot latter-day Tarantino 'less than the sum of its parts'-itis where individual scenes are cool and good but mashing them all together into a movie feels jumbled and weird. Felt the same about Django and Once Upon a Time. It is however a fantastic example of why you don't bring in a voiceover narrater 90 minutes in; so weird and jarring.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hateful 8 didn't do all that much for me but I do greatly admire the ballsiness of shooting a film in 70mm and marketing it heavily on that with special screenings to see it in it's full glory as intended by the auteur and then 90% of the film is people talking in a small cabin.

I enjoyed it, and I still think about it every now and then which is probably the greatest measure of a film's quality to me, but it never really came together as well as the films preceding and following it.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah, watching High Plains Drifter for the first time with my parents was a bit squirmy there at the beginning :yikes: They didn't show anything on screen because it was the 60s, but they also casually dismissed sexual assault because it was the 60s.

If only the original alien could have been identified as easily as 'looks dishonest' :allears:

H8 is OK, I feel it suffers from a lot latter-day Tarantino 'less than the sum of its parts'-itis where individual scenes are cool and good but mashing them all together into a movie feels jumbled and weird. Felt the same about Django and Once Upon a Time. It is however a fantastic example of why you don't bring in a voiceover narrater 90 minutes in; so weird and jarring.

While I enjoy all those movies quite a bit, you're definitely feeling the loss of Sally Menke's editing. The editing from Inglourious Basterds to Django was a pretty big downturn.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Red Sands is a horror movie I saw that was set in the Iraq war. I also keep seeing this movie about WWI (I think) soldiers trapped in a church where spooky stuff starts happening on Netflix that I keep meaning to watch.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Red Sands is a horror movie I saw that was set in the Iraq war. I also keep seeing this movie about WWI (I think) soldiers trapped in a church where spooky stuff starts happening on Netflix that I keep meaning to watch.

That might be Ghosts of War, which I strongly discourage. It's WW2 and a haunted house though.

Deathwatch is pretty great until the last act. Andy Serkis in WWI with a haunted trench.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
It is Ghosts Of War that I keep seeing that I was interested in. I never seem to remember it when it's time to pick a movie though.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Darko posted:

I don't want nanowrimo to be more of a challenge than it already is

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I guess it's not strictly western but Ravenous is close and everyone should watch it anyways

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

I guess it's not strictly western but Ravenous is close and everyone should watch it anyways

Yes

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Retro Futurist posted:

What makes you say it isn’t?

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

R-point might count as a war horror film.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I rewatched Possessor and it's really interesting how all the technology is presented as analogue. The pot on the machine looks old and worn, the technology needs wires, and when we see the guts of the machine it very clearly is using vacuum tubes and old capacitors.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Watching Curse of the Undead now, I didn't realize how thoroughly Han Solo's outfit was a gunfighter get up.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PeterCat posted:

Watching Curse of the Undead now, I didn't realize how thoroughly Han Solo's outfit was a gunfighter get up.

well yeah, star wars is a space western

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Burkion posted:

So in a lot of situations where people say this, it doesn't excuse it

And this is also that same situation because it doesn't. But that IS the point. The morality of the film is pretty much tar black and that opening is meant to illustrate that, both for who the lead is and the nature of the town itself.

The whole conceit of the movie, the mystery that gets unraveled, is that the entire town almost to a one are all the shittiest, most awful people. Clint Eastwood's character is possibly a number of things, though I like the idea that he's the Devil the most, myself, as he literally rebrands the town Hell. There are about two people who are good, and the rest are all complicit in either cowardice or worse. The truly innocent are the ones that the Drifter leave alone or actively helps, notably the Natives.

But if that's not the kind of story you want to engage with, I absolutely do not blame you. The opening is a pretty good litmus test for how well you are going to put up with the rest of the story. I think its worthwhile and does a good job with it, but yeah, it is what it is.
They could have at least not made the rape jokes, but it’s a movie by gross people from the 70s and boy do they love their rape jokes. I really love the concept but that first 15 minutes really ruins it for me. Perhaps they could have left his nature more ambiguous for longer.

As for war horror movies there’s the B-17 segment from Heavy Metal.

https://youtu.be/AsLyG6A13f4

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I'm like 2/3 of the way through Midnight Mass. Well into the part where poo poo is going down and I'm starting to know what's actually happening.

This is my kind of story, overall, but I think it's both way too much of a slow burn to really get into the horror, and too talky and philosophical for my taste.

I just wish the pacing were less languid.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Kvlt! posted:

I rewatched Possessor and it's really interesting how all the technology is presented as analogue. The pot on the machine looks old and worn, the technology needs wires, and when we see the guts of the machine it very clearly is using vacuum tubes and old capacitors.

Reminded me of the dream infiltration gear from Inception. I wonder if it's become a kind of shorthand for illicit tech

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

bowmore posted:

well yeah, star wars is a space western

Mashed together with Flash Gordon and WW2 films.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

As for war horror movies there’s the B-17 segment from Heavy Metal.

This is completely the vibe from the Weird War type comics from my childhood.

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 24, 2021

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Re: Western horror, there’s a recent one on Shudder called The Pale Door. It’s about a gang of outlaws hiding out after a train robbery, and ending up in a town full of witches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Zwabu posted:

This is completely the vibe from the Weird War type comics from my childhood.

This is the first I’ve heard of this. Too bad that it looks like the one paperback collection of it is out of print and drat expensive.