Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Saquon's Paradox: If you have the offensive line to make use of a generational running back talent, you aren't drafting high enough to get him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Saquon is a bust. Not the worst bust of all time but he's a bust, he hasn't appreciably helped the Giants be successful, he's been injured a lot and seems to be in a semi-permanent state of injury recently. Doesn't look the same now as he did then.

He's a pretty good player but because of his draft position, what the team needed and his injuries he is a bust.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
#2 pick should be able to play at a high level regardless of how poo poo the rest of his team is.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

indigi posted:

his rookie contract is just about up and he’s yet to gain 4000 all purpose yards, his cap hit starts going up starting next season and he’s only been an especially good RB part of his rookie year. that seems fairly bustish

One genuinely good year is better than 50% of first found picks. Probably 50% of top 10 picks

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

Asproigerosis posted:

#2 pick should be able to play at a high level regardless of how poo poo the rest of his team is.

no draft pick is ever guaranteed to perform regardless of draft position this is a stupid take

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

R.D. Mangles posted:

There is objectively no worse draft pick given the other options available, the team, and the trade, than mitchell d trubisky

I have a friend who is a Bears fan and whenever I want to piss her off I just say "How is Trubisky working out for you?" (I live in Kansas City and am a Chiefs fan)

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Dubious posted:

no draft pick is ever guaranteed to perform regardless of draft position this is a stupid take

Right and the ones that significantly underperform relative to their draft position are busts.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Let’s not forget the year the Browns put Lawrence Vickers at Fullback giving Peyton Hillis his one great year that got him on the cover of EA and when Vickers left Peyton shat himself out of the league.

For Runningbacks the Offensive Line matters and even mediocre ones can end up world beaters. Granted there was that one year AP dragged the Vikings to the playoffs on his back but even then.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
He's for sure a bust by any definition. But if they hadn't drafted him you know they almost certainly would have taken a QB and likely ended up with Darnold or Rosen who are objectively far worse players than Saquon.

So uh, I guess he's better than the alternative.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I just want one year of prime Joe Mixon running behind a good offensive line.

Dude's only 25 it can still happen.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
My favorite guy I never saw play to bring up during bust chat--I don't know if it's the worst bust but it's gotta be up there: Russell Erxleben.

The Saints drafted Erxleben 11th overall in 1979 hoping that they could save a roster spot by having him handle both placekicking and punting. They did this despite having a decent kicker and punter--keep in mind these are the 70's Saints so decent probably=real damned good for them considering. Erxleben was fairly bomb at Texas and got a rule change put in when he hit a 67 yard field goal in a game and two other 60+ that season (you could use kicking blocks to increase the height of the ball on field goal attempts up until then). So at least the man had a leg, if you're going to actually use the 11th pick on a kicker.

Erxleben played one game in his rookie season, before promptly tearing his hamstring and missing the rest of the year. I don't know this for sure but it's possible maybe he coulda come back but they didn't want him because...

quote:

In Erxleben's first NFL game, on September 2, 1979, the Saints and the archrival Atlanta Falcons went into overtime with the score 34-34. Midway through overtime, a snap went over Erxleben's head and rolled to the goal line. Erxleben picked the ball up and made a hurried chest pass. The pass was intercepted by Atlanta's James Mayberry at the 6-yard line, and he trotted into the end zone for a touchdown and a 40-34 Falcon victory.

I don't know if the injury gave him the yips or what, but the experiment of using him to both punt and kick field goals lasted exactly 5 attempts through the next season, of which he hit 2. He would only attempt one more kick the rest of his career. He did keep his punting duties for 5 years with the Saints, but wasn't special (just busy because of this era of Saints).

So the Saints used #11 on a guy who attempted 8 field goals in his career, hit 4, and punted for a while but never made a pro bowl doing that.

As a bonus he is a multiple time felon after his playing career in white collar criming (busted for money laundering/securities & mail fraud, and got busted again for the same thing and running a ponzi scheme after he got out of prison the first time).

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Freaquency posted:

It’s still ridiculous to say he’s the worst draft pick of all time though.

oh definitely not. I’m not even convinced he’s a bust personally but I can see where people are coming from

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Put Saquon Barkley on the Rams or Patriots and let’s see what happens (besides getting hurt and out for the season)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

I just want one year of prime Joe Mixon running behind a good offensive line.

Dude's only 25 it can still happen.

How is Mixon not 32???

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

perhaps someone who wasn't interested in bengals lore could think jeremy hill and joe mixon were the same nameless but somewhat familiar player

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Just searched Google and got no results for "Mojoe Mixon" so I must be the first person to come up with it.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Cavauro posted:

perhaps someone who wasn't interested in bengals lore could think jeremy hill and joe mixon were the same nameless but somewhat familiar player

Jeremy Hill is only 29 what the gently caress

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Rudi Johnson is 42. Cedric Benson has been dead for over two years. T.J. Houshmandzadeh last played ten years ago (And it was for the Raiders?!).

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

forgot you weren't joking about cedric benson. thought he was benjarvis

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Cavauro posted:

forgot you weren't joking about cedric benson. thought he was benjarvis

Law Firm :unsmith:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Vikings Quarterback Kirk Cousins thinks they were "too aggressive" in their play calling during their win over Green Bay.

I think the :horsedrugs: are starting to take effect.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Zwabu posted:

I'm always partial to Ryan Leaf. I figure JaMarcus Russell would be in there somewhere in the conversation.

The JaMarcus Larch post keeps JaMarcus from being a complete bust.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Zwabu posted:

Have there been "biggest draft busts in the history of the NFL" threads in TFF before?

You'd have to consider what was traded for the pick as well.

It would be better if it didn't include picks who got hurt right away but were just terrible or cancerous in their own right.

I'm always partial to Ryan Leaf. I figure JaMarcus Russell would be in there somewhere in the conversation.

Leaf had the single worst game I have ever seen a quarterback have in 1998 against the Chiefs.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Saquon is a bust but it's hard to blame him for a fair amount of him busting. Injuries are tough to judge a player for and he's never truly stayed healthy outside his first, best year. Like Toney now he's a dynamic creative guy being thrust into an offense that doesn't suit him. But he's also got some big flaws as a player. He's real bad at taking what the defense gives him.

Saquon is a bust in that he should never have been a Giant, we had so many other needs to address. He's far from the top worst picks of all time. I wish he had fallen to a team that could have actually used him better.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

How is Mixon not 32???

crime is the fountain of youth

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

The man is terminally cautious.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Jamarcus Russell isn't a bigger bust than Leaf because he gave us the greatest spin move in NFL history

https://youtu.be/3t284xmXsPI

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Professor Funk posted:

Also a weird comment given Maccagnan drafted Hackenberg in the 2nd round. Though I would argue that’s the most *embarrassing* pick of all time, though not the worst given it wasn’t a high 1st rounder.

Yeah, the thing about Hackenberg is that it was genuinely obvious at the time that she shouldn't have been drafted by anybody, at all, in any round. He didn't have red flags, he was a Soviet military parade.

Like no joke he looked worse than FCS quarterbacks. None of this is hindsight, he was simply not good, and not in a "Tebow does goofy poo poo that won't translate" way, he was just dumb and bad.

FF goons want to redo the tedginn.gif reaction every draft but picking Hack truly was on another level of dumb for real.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Uh excuse me hackenberg propelled bobobrieno to the coaching hall of fame

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

fartknocker posted:

Rudi Johnson is 42. Cedric Benson has been dead for over two years. T.J. Houshmandzadeh last played ten years ago (And it was for the Raiders?!).

I bought first row tickets one time and drunkenly yelled encouragement to the players a bunch. Housh and Frostee Rucker were the only ones to turn around and give me a wave :unsmith:

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
I feel like Akili Smith always flys under the radar as a bust. 2,200 yards on 461 attempts for his career, 4.8 yards an attempt, his career QB rating was 52.8 and he was only above 60 in QB rating because one season he started 1 game and was 5/8 with no TDs/INTs. He was so bad that in 2003 he was brought in to Packers camp and beaten out by Craig Nall. He sat till 2005 when he tried out with the Bucs and failed to make the roster. Played some in NFL Europe and Canada.

When high draft picks get a million chances to fail, he was out of the league amazingly fast, and it probably would have been faster but the Bengals were too cheap to dump him after his 2nd season.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Trent Richardson was so bad he couldn't hit an open hole in front of him

Barkley is a bust and it was a terrible pick. If he had been picked where Nick Chubb was he'd really just be a disappointment or one of those guys who wasn't really a hit but still gave you something once like Sony Michel. Instead, Gettleman is an idiot and took him at 2 over all and that really changes the perspective on how you look at him.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

How good does a RB have to be for him to be a good pick at 2?

I think if you got Derrick Henry or CMC there you're generally pretty happy with it. Maaaaybe an Alvin Kamara or Dalvin Cook, too?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

How is Mixon not 32???

I also thought he was way older. I would have guessed 28-29.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

fsif posted:

I think if you got Derrick Henry or CMC there you're generally pretty happy with it. Maaaaybe an Alvin Kamara or Dalvin Cook, too?

Even if I knew Derrick Henry had the potential to be.. well, Derrick Henry, I’m probably not picking at #2 because a RB is my most pressing need, so I’m probably not picking Derrick Henry.

Or Kamara.

Or Cook.

However, any coach that wants to Mike Ditka their entire draft for a RB has my full support.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

fsif posted:

To even begin to justify this you'd need it to be a HoF career in my opinion. Denver proved you could get Super Bowl level RB production out of a good O-line and scheme with street bodies 25 years ago. Get me a LT or a DE or a QB at #2, or a great WR, anything but an RB

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Yall are loving weirdos about HB its just like every other position a true game changer is much much different than that replacement level player yall love to pick up in the 6th

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, the thing about Hackenberg is that it was genuinely obvious at the time that she shouldn't have been drafted by anybody, at all, in any round. He didn't have red flags, he was a Soviet military parade.

Like no joke he looked worse than FCS quarterbacks. None of this is hindsight, he was simply not good, and not in a "Tebow does goofy poo poo that won't translate" way, he was just dumb and bad.

FF goons want to redo the tedginn.gif reaction every draft but picking Hack truly was on another level of dumb for real.

Yep, and they actually committed to developing him even after it was made immediately clear in his first camp that he could not be salvaged, which was maybe even worse than picking him in the first place. The opportunity cost of drafting Hackenberg in the 2nd, acknowledging your mistake, and moving on is not particularly high. You wasted a 2nd rounder in embarrassing fashion, but tons of 2nd rounders are busts, whatever. But when you are making high 1st round picks with the background assumption that you can (or want to) develop Hackenberg like the Jets did in 2017, then the case for it being an all-time bad pick becomes a bit more cogent. (And that's not even considering that the Jets then had to move three 2nd rounders to move up for Darnold the following year.)

So yeah, I don't think the Hackenberg pick on its own is the worst pick of all time. He never played, but again, it's a 2nd rounder, fine. But I think committing to him even for one extra year is probably one of the worst instances of roster mismanagement of all time, or at least recent NFL history.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 24, 2021

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Metapod posted:

Yall are loving weirdos about HB its just like every other position a true game changer is much much different than that replacement level player yall love to pick up in the 6th

You can get productive running backs anywhere, drafting one at #2 over all is stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I think there are true superstar RBs that transcend their line/offense, but it's too hard to predict who it's gonna be so you're better off waiting until at least the 2nd round to take your chances

but I think I'd take Nick Chubb, CMC or Henry #2 overall in a redraft