Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

The code to the exit is 1125

Never done a whole turkey, but I've done a turkey breast a couple of times, and tbh I'm not sure it's worth it. It comes out well cooked, and nice and juicy, but dries out by the time you've rested and plated up. If I were to do it again I'd recommend searing before putting it in the sv, to seal the juices in.

But I think I'm going to go back to roasting this year- rub the turkey breast down with a sage and lemon butter, wrap in Parma ham to keep the juices in, then into the oven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

If you want to do SV for thanksgiving, do the Turkey Porchetta from SE.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Never thought of wrapping a turkey in proscuitto but drat that sounds good...

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Marshal Plugnut posted:

Never done a whole turkey, but I've done a turkey breast a couple of times, and tbh I'm not sure it's worth it. It comes out well cooked, and nice and juicy, but dries out by the time you've rested and plated up. If I were to do it again I'd recommend searing before putting it in the sv, to seal the juices in.

But I think I'm going to go back to roasting this year- rub the turkey breast down with a sage and lemon butter, wrap in Parma ham to keep the juices in, then into the oven.

What temp did you cook it at? I do 145 for my turkey breasts and they have always stayed juicy.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

toplitzin posted:

This. I have done this recipe multiple times over the last 2-3 years between family and friends Thanksgivings, and it's always a hit.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Most years my family doesn't really care about a centerpiece turkey and just want a bite, so I usually do a sous vide turkey breast with a sear all around, salt/sugar sprinkle, and a long bath at 131F (I started it night before and it just comes out when everything else is ready, so probably somewhere in the 16-20 hour range) with some thyme and and sage. Sear it again with some butter and basting on the way out, put the drippings into a container to start some gravy on the next one.

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What temp did you cook it at? I do 145 for my turkey breasts and they have always stayed juicy.

I couldn't honestly tell you to be fair, my sous vide notes with regards to cut/temp was on my old, very dead, phone

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Marshal Plugnut posted:

I'd recommend searing before putting it in the sv, to seal the juices in.

Does searing actually seal juices in? I thought that was a myth.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I moved in with a vegetarian so my steak intake has dramatically reduced, but I had the opportunity to sous vide a nice steak with some garlic butter, rosemary and thyme last night, and it was delicious.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Subjunctive posted:

It is.

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Can't really say as I haven't done it before, just thought it might be worth a try.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

NPR Journalizard posted:

I moved in with a vegetarian so my steak intake has dramatically reduced, but I had the opportunity to sous vide a nice steak with some garlic butter, rosemary and thyme last night, and it was delicious.
:sever:

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Marshal Plugnut posted:

I thought you didn't need to (even shouldn't) sv meats because they are relaxed and tender enough, and lose temperature very quickly due to not having the high temp outer ring. The times I did it i seared and then straight to the table.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

CancerCakes posted:

I thought you didn't need to (even shouldn't) sv meats because they are relaxed and tender enough, and lose temperature very quickly due to not having the high temp outer ring. The times I did it i seared and then straight to the table.

Yeah I mean you’re basically supposed to let them cool a bit, then sear them, flipping them a few times back and forth to make sure no one side gets overdone. But meats are especially suited to SV, in fact I’m pretty sure a lot of the big steakhouses SV their steaks before searing. It’s the best way to get them perfectly cooked imho

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Anova Pro is down to $199 for early Black Friday special

Do I _need_ a fourth immersion circulator in addition to my APO?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Ultimate Mango posted:

No. But how do you like the APO?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

qutius posted:

No. But how do you like the APO?

I don’t think I’ve used my regular oven since getting it. The APO is amazing.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Ultimate Mango posted:

IIRC it will be at Costco for $150, including a sv container

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ultimate Mango posted:

I don’t think I’ve used my regular oven since getting it. The APO is amazing.

Mine won’t connect to the app so I feel like I’m missing a lot of utility.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Hasselblad posted:

IIRC it will be at Costco for $150, including a sv container

Is there a new bundle that has the Anova PRO model? I am familiar with the nano and regular bundles but I have never seen the pro in a bundle. I would be very interested at that price.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

For the APO, the app can be really weird the first time. I had failed entirely to get the app to work on my phone, but while the phone was trying to connect, I was able to connect on another device (iPad in this case) and get it set up. Then I logged in to my account on the phone and phone app worked ever since. Just try a second device while the first one is not connecting.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

toplitzin posted:

This. It's easier than you think, and can be made ahead and blasted in a hot oven after coming back up to room temp (or fried, if you're not a coward). Do the leg quarters for like 4 hours separately.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Is there a new bundle that has the Anova PRO model? I am familiar with the nano and regular bundles but I have never seen the pro in a bundle. I would be very interested at that price.

To be honest I did not realize there were different models, so did not think to look. That said, I was in the store yesterday and can confirm that whatever the model it is down to $150 for the bundle.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yesterday i picked up my prime rib roast for thursday, but since it's fresh not frozen should I:

vacuum AND cook today, ice bath when done and warm up on thursday

or

vacuum today, refrigerate and wait to cook on thursday

orrrr

vacuum today, freeze and cook on thursday

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

BraveUlysses posted:

yesterday i picked up my prime rib roast for thursday, but since it's fresh not frozen should I:

vacuum AND cook today, ice bath when done and warm up on thursday

or

vacuum today, refrigerate and wait to cook on thursday

orrrr

vacuum today, freeze and cook on thursday

I guess that depends on what you're going for overall - and how your timing is going to play out - but I'm not sure what freezing it at all does for you, so you can probably toss that one out.

Personally, I'd suggest wrapping it in a towel or cheesecloth or something, letting it sit in the fridge to lose a bit of moisture between now and Thursday, then bag it on Thursday, cook it to temp, then sear it immediately before serving.

However, that assumes you're going to want/have time to sear it immediately before serving.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Freezing a huge cut for 2 days doesn’t make any sense to me either.

Salt it lightly, let it sit uncovered in the fridge, then bag-and-soak as your timing requires. Seating roasts after SV works so much better than doing it before, IMO, that it’s not worth considering the other way. You end up with the vaguely goopy exterior after SV, and you want to seat/broil/torch that away.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
thanks for the advice, i will salt and put it on a wire rack in a little bit. only a little bit of salt now and then more salt right before searing, right?

i was thinking of searing under the broiler?

or am i overthinking this and maybe i should just make this in the oven with kenji's reverse sear method?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I absolutely love the reverse-sear method, wouldn't do it any other way. Literally the only downside is that the timing can be uncertain since you have to go by the probe temp. And you don't always know in advance how well your oven can keep a low temp steady.

If you're doing a laid-back Thanksgiving with a couple other people, and nobody cares whether you eat at 4 or 4:45, it's perfect. If you're on a very tight schedule with other dishes that can't hold and people who need to be out the door by 5 period, doing it with no rehearsal may not be the best call.

The results are absolutely fantastic, though

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

BraveUlysses posted:

thanks for the advice, i will salt and put it on a wire rack in a little bit. only a little bit of salt now and then more salt right before searing, right?

i was thinking of searing under the broiler?

or am i overthinking this and maybe i should just make this in the oven with kenji's reverse sear method?

Depends on the tools you have available, probably!

When I was SVing a couple rib roasts per year, I would bath it at the temp I wanted, then pat it dry and just absolutely blast the outside with heat immediately before serving. I was cheating, though, because I had a fire pit in the back yard and I would just get an absolutely roaring bed of coals going before putting the roast on a grate and crisping the outside up.

Searing under the broiler should work pretty well, especially if you can dry it off pretty well before searing time. However, you may want to consider what that will do to the temp of your kitchen/dining room, along with any smoke that is generated. Probably also depends on how hot your broiler gets and how evenly it heats, but I think it'd work fine, especially flipping it partway through after a couple minutes or something, and just keep rotating it until it looks good.

That all being said, I'm real upset that this thing is as expensive as it is, because I suddenly now WANT ONE, DAMMIT!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45vkq4AxbJw&t=509s
(8:30 if the timestamp doesn't work)

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

What temp do you all use for tuna? Every time I do it I look at the chart on seriouseats and choose the 115 picture, and then when it comes out incredibly overcooked (like almost canned tuna texture but pink) I remember that 115 is too high and I need to go lower next time.

I’m assuming like most sous vide cooking that time doesn’t matter too much, but I’m lazy and like to throw it in for 2-3 hours.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Zarin posted:

Personally, I'd suggest wrapping it in a towel or cheesecloth or something, letting it sit in the fridge to lose a bit of moisture between now and Thursday

This (wrapping optional, imho)

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

It didn't work for me until I went into airplane mode before turning on wifi and bluetooth for the first setup

edit: I may have had to do this as well:

"What worked for me was turning off my cellular, keeping Wi-fi on, joining the network, it'd fail, then I'd kill the app & I'd run through it again. That seemed to be the quickest way to get it talking." - reddit person

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 24, 2021

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah I got it connected once and then it failed the firmware update and rebooted halfway through, and now even that trick doesn’t work for me. I need to RMA it or something but so much effort.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Doing the modernist cuisine sous vide potatoes recipe but had to double it and the water temp significantly dropped upon putting the potatoes in. Should I start the clock when it gets back to temp or right away? (recipe calls for 35 minutes at 158°)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I would start the clock when the temp gets back up. Not going to run into problems running them a little longer. A little shorter, however, might lead to undercooked potatoes.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
well its not sous vide but i did end up doing that prime rib per kenji's recipe, blasted two slices under broiler for my MiL and FiL, they split one slice and she didnt eat a single bite of it. loving hell.

my dog will eat well for the next day or two, so she's got that going for her.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I sous vided turkey yesterday and it was perfect. Time to do it again today with the dark meat :getin:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Do most of you guys have a vacuum sealer, or just using a ziplock bag and the water to push out the air?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Me personally. I ponied up for a vacuum sealer. Mainly because we freeze a lot of meats for portioning and it only made sense for us to portion our SV meals and big chunks of meat, really helps with freezer burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Most of the poo poo I do s-v is basic slab-of-protein stuff and almost all of the time I use a vac sealer for that. I still occasionally use the water displacement method for liquids.

But I also use a vac sealer for enough poo poo other than s-v that I'd pick one up even if I decided to give up s-v for some reason.