Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Tactics Ogre was always better than FFT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
just found out Aliens fireteam elite exists

any good?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Mescal posted:

I was not expecting permadeath, and I don't see more chemists for hire. Should I just load?

This was answered already, but nah you should be fine. If you need to grind, just keep wandering back and forth on maps you've already cleared and you'll eventually trigger a random battle.

That said, I'm quoting this just to let you know that there ARE sequential battles. You get to save between these battles, but you don't get to explore the map, which means you are locked into whatever characters, equipment, and items. So please, for the love of god, make a separate save for these occasions. Some of these are late game and can be brutal and might even force a restart of the entire game if you didn't build your characters to handle the challenges it throws at you.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Det_no posted:

:yeah:

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Begemot posted:

That's stuff you just have to be careful about, it's a very finnicky game. You can't delay actions either, though spells take time to go off, and archers can get you charge attacks (deal more damage, but delayed).

To add to this, there's a button that lets you see the turn order which helps you judge when your spells or charge attacks will go off. Its pretty crucial to ensuring that enemies don't move out of the targeted area before it hits.

Can't remember which button, gently caress, its been over 20 years, I'm old.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Det_no posted:

Better balanced doesn't mean a better game overall :colbert: I don't remember a single goddamn character from any Tactics Ogre game and only have a really vague recollection of the character classes.

If you list tactics games with memorable plots/characters it's like...
  • Most Fire Emblem games after 2003 are memorable because they're weird soap operas (that get extremely horny starting with Awakening)
  • Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is memorable for just how badly it sold Marche as a force for good cause every story beat feels like Marche is compelled to crush the dreams of his friends now that they're no longer miserable. Like he's not really wrong but drat is it funny that you're in this cutesy fantasy world playing a guy who just acts like an rear end in a top hat and is actively working to remove all his non-human allies from existence.
  • Front Mission 3 is memorable for just how insane the early dialogue is, with my memory of it being the main character's best friend cracking constant jokes about how hot the main character's sister is and every time the main character responds by yelling "SHUT UP RYOGO!!!" with the most livid & blood-thirsty dialogue portrait in the game.
  • Front Mission 1's not memorable as a whole but the Hell's Wall fight is really memorable for the game building them up like "Oh no, the undefeatable elite squadron is arriving on the island, if we run in to them we're hosed!!" and then you fight them and they really do feel like a fight so hard it's scripted to make you lose, and then you die and it's just a regular game over and the game expects you to just bang your head against the wall until you figure it out.
  • I remember one of the Vandal Hearts having a good big plot twist pretty early on but I have not played either of them in like 16 years. I think you have to fight your two main party members up to that point to the death or something?
  • I think Knight of Lodis had one of the plot branches be based on whether you go out of your way to recruit a mermaid to your party? that's pretty cool
  • Final Fantasy Tactics has a lot of likeable characters, memorable scenes, a passionate hatred of nobility and power structures, and a lot of good small twists to the story. Wiegraf and Delita are both great characters, just two different peasants that hate every single nobleman for good reasons and each having their views on the world changed entirely over the course of the first chapter + time skip before chapter 2. Ramza's role in the plot (after chapter 2) is him just learning about praxis because literally every organization wants him dead and he can only survive by going "look how hosed up this is, you see this poo poo?" to anybody who wouldn't kill him just to improve their own place in life.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Fatty posted:

To add to this, there's a button that lets you see the turn order which helps you judge when your spells or charge attacks will go off. Its pretty crucial to ensuring that enemies don't move out of the targeted area before it hits.

Can't remember which button, gently caress, its been over 20 years, I'm old.
I think you press the right button when you hover over the attack you want to use.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Alan Smithee posted:

any good?

Haven't played it, but most reviews seem to agree that despite a few issues, it does a great job capturing the Aliens feel the way Isolation captured Alien.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
FFT have passive teleport movement ability you learn from time mage.

I personally prefer pushing/knocking back ally than phasing through them in other game.

Fall damage is so satisfying to watch when I push an enemy off the roof.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 23, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

any good?

Eh... it's stictly “okay." If you love Aliens it's worth spending some time with, but otherwise there are much better games out there. Personally, I'd much rather be playing Vermintide.

The player count absolutely fell off a cliff a couple of weeks after release. It's just not a very polished game and I think that hurt it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The king of all tactics games is Shining Force II

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
FFT is one of the best games of all time but to be clear it is absolutely not going to scratch that itch you were looking for of setting up combos and using environmental hazards and such. FFT is all about creating powerful characters and builds, it's not really all that focused on battlefield tactics, despite its name.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

any good?

It's really good on first playthrough, because it absolutely nails the atmosphere of the Aliens movie and everything else is competent enough to not detract from it. Unfortunately, it's a multiplayer game in the vein of L4D or Vermintide, so you are fully expected to constantly replay and grind its stages, which will cause said excellent atmosphere to quickly evaporate, leaving you with a strictly mediocre and unremarkable team shooter.

If you are big Aliens fan with some like-minded friends and can grab it on a sale, or if it becomes available on gamepass, I would say its worth a shot, otherwise not really.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

even though i've gone off jrpgs lo these past 20 years final fantasy tactics still holds a special place in my heart for seamlessly combining the war of the roses with the crucifixion and resurrection of jesus christ without even attempting to disguise it. good on you final fantasy tactics

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I was gonna buy fire team but it launched with no voice chat and apparently they don’t plan to add it. No text chat either I think, just pings, which seems terrible for a multiplayer game. I’m a big aliens nerd and it still didn’t seem worth it with that and a bunch of weird balance issues I read about when I drilled down trying to decide if I wanted it, which apparently made at least one class (the medic one) almost permanently suboptimal

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

no voice chat is the first thing i've heard about aliens: fireteam that has actually made me think it might be a good game

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
RIP Harmonix, banished to the Fortnite content mines after Epic bought them this morning.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1463199674903453696

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I didn’t know they were still alive in the first place.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Despite being a huge fan of tactical rpgs on the computer I've always struggled to get into the console ones except Shining Force. Shining Force 1 and 2 are amazing and I've replayed them so many times.

I think it's just an accumulation of nitpicks. I don't like how small the FFT/Tactics Ogre battlefields are. I also hate the emphasis on grinding up characters in a lot of SRPGs but without significant build options. I've played partially through a couple Fire Emblems but couldn't ever get into them. I played a DS one that was alright but the battles were getting boring and the story wasn't carrying it. I have the Switch one but I've never been able to get through all the school stuff to see how interesting the battles can get. I wouldn't mind a certain amount of anime school interruptions but the game seemed to be buried in them.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Harmonix has been a content mill for its entire existence so from their POV this is probably the most successful they've ever been

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i remember playing rock band with my friends in college over ten years ago. that was fun

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeVIoI48veU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

FuzzySlippers posted:

I've played partially through a couple Fire Emblems but couldn't ever get into them. I played a DS one that was alright but the battles were getting boring and the story wasn't carrying it. I have the Switch one but I've never been able to get through all the school stuff to see how interesting the battles can get. I wouldn't mind a certain amount of anime school interruptions but the game seemed to be buried in them.

The Fire Emblem games are generally pretty boring in gameplay/level design. Fates was getting better about it (on the hard difficulty anyway), I'd be happy to hear Three Houses is finally good about making interesting levels now that they've had experience designing a couple games no longer limited by permadeath being on by default. I kinda doubt that's the case though :v:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
FFT is about (build spoilers) unlocking the calculator class and defeating all of your enemies/becoming invincible with the ability to do basic arithmetic.

Then you realize the animations take too much time so you unlock ninjas and some sub ability from another class which lets you wield the most powerful one handed weapons, throw pebbles at each other to trigger invis, then assassinate the baddies in a single one shot.

Never did figure out how zodiac signs work. I beat the game and the optional dungeon without it using the above.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, FFT was great fun until I realized lategame was just a power treadmill of unlocking more and more broken classes with esoteric requirements then squashing them all together like a playdoh monstrosity and breaking the game over your knee. The fun was in the journey, not the end product.

FFT:A was like a fever dream for me, a bunch of forgettable stuff happens and then suddenly the protagonist is yelling at his friends for not returning to IRL, because apparently they had full character development arcs happen offscreen sometime? Also Chocobos.

I'm not sure how anyone could get confused about the movement mechanics, they seemed obvious to myself as a teen.

Has anyone done a more modern version of the games? Without going too far into grimdark or whatever.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Serephina posted:

Yea, FFT was great fun until I realized lategame was just a power treadmill of unlocking more and more broken classes with esoteric requirements then squashing them all together like a playdoh monstrosity and breaking the game over your knee. The fun was in the journey, not the end product.

FFT:A was like a fever dream for me, a bunch of forgettable stuff happens and then suddenly the protagonist is yelling at his friends for not returning to IRL, because apparently they had full character development arcs happen offscreen sometime? Also Chocobos.

I'm not sure how anyone could get confused about the movement mechanics, they seemed obvious to myself as a teen.

Has anyone done a more modern version of the games? Without going too far into grimdark or whatever.

Fell Seal. I’m halfway through it and the story is mostly forgettable but takes itself way too seriously. It’s otherwise fine.

There’s also stuff like Horizon’s gate that I haven’t tried yet.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Serephina posted:

Yea, FFT was great fun until I realized lategame was just a power treadmill of unlocking more and more broken classes with esoteric requirements then squashing them all together like a playdoh monstrosity and breaking the game over your knee.

Isn't that the fun part?

I'll repeat myself since nobody ever heard of this game except the one goon who gave me a copy: Fort Triumph is way better than you'd expect it to be. My favorite modern tactics game so far.

I tried modding "kick on opportunist" into Horizons Gate (it's very moddable) but I forgot there's no opportunist in that game! It might be possible to mod it in? But it would require more than copy/pasting different aspects of different existing abilities.

Fort Triumphs is also very easily moddable by editing a .txt file, which is super cool. I think stuff like how high archers can climb is good to mod.

Mescal fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 23, 2021

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

That looks nice! I've got a bit fatigued with them turning out reserves with reskins of previous animals but that all looks pretty to explore.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
FFT is fun because you can actually softlock yourself in riovanes castle because it can be so hard, then five fights later you get the most broken character in the history of RPGs and he solos the entire game for you.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I find the broken character thing/breaking it over your knee super boring in most RPGs. I've had friends say like omg you really need to play <X> more to get to <broken combo> but it's usually not visceral enough to feel satisfying. Suddenly sweeping away opponents all cinematically can be fun especially when its bound into some story stuff (Lich path in Wrath of the Righteous is amazing) or getting all the unlocks in something like Control or Jedi Knight Academy where there's a game feel element is good. It's also different if you are playing with builds and find a great combo (especially in the era before meta youtube videos). Just some big numbers like unlocking the long rear end OP summon in FF7 just feels underwhelming and makes combat a chore.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

FuzzySlippers posted:

I find the broken character thing/breaking it over your knee super boring in most RPGs. I've had friends say like omg you really need to play <X> more to get to <broken combo> but it's usually not visceral enough to feel satisfying. Suddenly sweeping away opponents all cinematically can be fun especially when its bound into some story stuff (Lich path in Wrath of the Righteous is amazing) or getting all the unlocks in something like Control or Jedi Knight Academy where there's a game feel element is good. It's also different if you are playing with builds and find a great combo (especially in the era before meta youtube videos). Just some big numbers like unlocking the long rear end OP summon in FF7 just feels underwhelming and makes combat a chore.

This isn't for or against FFT because it has been so long since I've played it I remember basically jack poo poo about it. But while I love the basic idea of taking advantage of things to turn a fight into a joke, I do just get exhausted when busting the game over your knee with eccentric bullshit or maximum combos, all the time, is considered a justification for basic gameplay not being as engaging, let alone if it is notably harder or not.

To be fair, part of this is reinforced from playing with people with zero knowledge of the Divinity series asking the tabletop party "Why are you not stacking those barrels before starting the encounter?" like a surreal parody, and the barrels didn't even explode or or anything like Divinity, they were regular barrels meant to make a chokepoint.

So seeing that kind of mindset in a single player experience starts to suck the fun out of breaking a game over your knee, because it doesn't feel like breaking a game over your knee anymore if it is expected by 99% of the fanbase. Though I've also started to have the mindset over the years of "Good vs Great feels like a cooler distinction to chase than 'Basic poo poo vs Elaborate Good' "

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 23, 2021

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

zoux posted:

As much as I love FFT, this is the truth.

And the greatest shame, as Sega decided the best thing to do with the series was to take an immensely loved and top selling tactics series and make twenty follow-ups that were extremely forgettable action games.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
SF3 had the feature of having several full armies on the field, but I think that was only for Japan if you had (3?) discs or something. What a missed opportunity.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Scalding Coffee posted:

SF3 had the feature of having several full armies on the field, but I think that was only for Japan if you had (3?) discs or something. What a missed opportunity.

It was three games, the first of which was the only one to come out officially in English. There's translation patches for the other two Scenarios now (and a retranslation for S1 to make it more in line with changes to the others), and thankfully Saturn emulation is pretty good now.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I looked up Fort Triumph on steam

https://store.steampowered.com/app/612570/Fort_Triumph/

quote:

A strategy game combining the turn-based combat of XCOM with the world exploration of HOMM.

X-COM and How I Met your Mother?

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 24, 2021

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

zoux posted:

Never heard of it, but it's a dollar on steam. Unless it's better to emulate it for some reason?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

ninjoatse.cx posted:

How 'oy Met your Mother. British version of the show.

Heroes of Might and Magic

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Idk, but it's not really about world exploration. It suffers a tiny bit from not knowing exactly what it wants to be--the overworld things are basically a board game, where the numerous goblin mobs are trying to suck up resources before you get to them, and they also try to take over your base or kill your party--whichever is weaker. You can just kind of hang out and slowly grow your base and your party but you'll miss out on cool items and stuff. I'm sure the board game thing is cool in multiplayer. Basically there's a time and resource crunch thing going on while you try to overcome your initial weakness. It's kind of built on a character permadeath plus multiple paths to game over, but you don't have to play it hardcore. I started on classic difficulty, then turned it all the way down to easy, then played it on normal, and got pretty much dead-ended on classic difficulty. It's challenging. RNG can get you in early game.

The fighting is good. I like the combos. Truly devastating combos are always juuust out of reach.

My only advice: do not let your character learn a new skill if you hate the skill options they give you. The only 'trap skill' is the the final upgrade on the knockback arrow. Do not get the final upgrade.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Propaganda Hour posted:

How 'oy Met your Mother. British version of the show.

Heroes of Might and Magic

Muvva

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

zoux posted:

Mescal posted:

Never heard of it, but it's a dollar on steam. Unless it's better to emulate it for some reason?

That Steam game is just a rom packaged with a Genesis emulator, so if it does play better on whatever free Genesis emulator you have you can just put the rom into your rom collection guilt-free.