Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Can't wait for Poshul to finally be the main character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
An FF8-style glow-up with some cleaned up framerates would be fine by me. Chrono Cross still pops in the art department.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Chrono cross was absolutely insane design. The characters were all over the place. The plot was nonsensical, nothing flowed together, the characters didn’t make sense

I fuckin loved it

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Make the battle party 4 characters, allow dropping Serge before you beat the game, and add more double/triple techs and CC would be almost perfect. Unfuck the insane plot and it would be totally perfect.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I think fixing the plot would take a fair bit of work

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Just clean up the graphics, smooth out the battle system/UI to fit modern sensibilities, and gimme some sweet sweet re-recorded OST goodness

I would pay full AAA-game price for this

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Don’t be foolish we’ll pay full price if they just release it on PC at all

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SettingSun posted:

allow dropping Serge before you beat the game

Scalding Coffee posted:

Can't wait for Poshul to finally be the main character.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

if they touch Chrono Cross, I'd rather they really dig into it and fix some of the problems with it

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Leal posted:

Finally, SE is remaking one of their good games

SaGa Frontier's Remaster has been out for months.

I guess it's only fair that they balance out good remasters with garbage like Crono Cross.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Is chrono cross good? Question for the ages.

Incidentally the answer is “no but the music is great”

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Great music, but the song you probably hear the most is the normal battle theme. And that's just... not good at all.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

jokes posted:

Is chrono cross good? Question for the ages.

Incidentally the answer is “no but the music is great”

it could have been one of the greatest based on its art and music direction alone but the gameplay, character, and plot problems didn't support it

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

One of the most aesthetic and aesthetically pleasing games of that era.

Just not a good game to play though.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I replayed Chross recently and found the flow of combat to be annoying. You'd be building up your combos and right before the big attack the enemy would take its turn. Bad gameflow.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The only thing they should add to CC is more Chrono Trigger characters dying in embarrassing ways.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Nihilarian posted:

I replayed Chross recently and found the flow of combat to be annoying. You'd be building up your combos and right before the big attack the enemy would take its turn. Bad gameflow.
Spend minutes building up the element field and the boss uses a field effect counter to gently caress with you.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The only thing they should add to CC is more Chrono Trigger characters dying in embarrassing ways.

mods!!?!?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The only thing they should add to CC is more Chrono Trigger characters berating you for existing

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Dunno how you can top Robo getting iced by the bad guy hitting the delete key lmao

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Wrong Robo. He is stuck in the past growing moss. We just never picked him up and cleaned him off. He is fine.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Add in a scene of Crono blasting the Porre army with Luminaire, Marle and Lucca throwing ice and fire at them, looking like gods on the battlefield, until they're finally just overrun by sheer numbers, just to shut up the people who go "But Crono wouldn't lose to an army!"

It'd be kind of hard to have scenes of Ayla and Glenn dying though, since they died centuries before Chrono Cross happens.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Twelve by Pies posted:

Add in a scene of Crono blasting the Porre army with Luminaire, Marle and Lucca throwing ice and fire at them, looking like gods on the battlefield, until they're finally just overrun by sheer numbers, just to shut up the people who go "But Crono wouldn't lose to an army!"

It'd be kind of hard to have scenes of Ayla and Glenn dying though, since they died centuries before Chrono Cross happens.

FATE making clones of Chrono's friends to try and trick Robo and then they break out like all of FATE's attempts because it's a very stupid Robot God and then they die by....I dunno Glenn falls off a boat in his armor and Ayla dies from a cold because she's got no immune system.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Zell... you gotta do squats bro...

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe Seifer's chicken wuss thing makes more sense than I thought

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Shorts like that were the style around the turn of the century. Zell definitely likes whatever the Galbadian ICP equivalent is.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I know 13 isn’t well regarded but I’m having fun with it so far. The battle/paradigm system owns.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Crisis Core did this really effectively with Zack the unstoppable SOLDIER against a Shinra army that just keeps plinking you with infantry waves until you run out of items and die.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

sponges posted:

I know 13 isn’t well regarded but I’m having fun with it so far. The battle/paradigm system owns.

XIII is a really good battle system stapled onto a really bad plot and upgrade system.

It is, also apparently, my most played game on Xbox in...2018 so hrm

Salvanis
Dec 10, 2005
Insert text here.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Just clean up the graphics, smooth out the battle system/UI to fit modern sensibilities, and gimme some sweet sweet re-recorded OST goodness

I would pay full AAA-game price for this

This but Vagrant Story.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Finally rolled my secondary jobs on my random job run of TZA. Final results:

Vaan - Machinist/Uhlan
Penelo - Archer/Bushi
Balthier - White Mage/Foebreaker
Fran - Foebreaker/Time Battlemage
Basch - Shikari/Archer
Ashe - Shikari/Knight

Could be worse! Biggest obvious problem: no real source of black magic. Uhlan gets the -ra level spells but that's basically it. It's going to make some hunts really difficult, especially the ones that become flat out immune to physicals at low HP (like Trickster), which will I guess require buying a bunch of elemental damage items instead. I don't even know if you can buy those.

I feel like Vaan, Ashe and Balthier made it out the best from these rolls, Balthier gets the heavy armor from Foebreaker as well as shield access, and Ashe and Vaan both get to be fast and strong. I think the big loser here is Penelo though, Bushi's access to mystic armor doesn't do anything for Archer, and lack of heavy armor (outside of Genji anyway) means Penelo's low strength stat is going to hurt her katana damage. Fran is just kind of...fine? Honestly I'm not too impressed with Time/Green Magicks since FFXII is one of the "status effects are useless on bosses" games so it's like, she has Hastega and Bubble eventually and...that's it! Balthier will be able to do those things too though, but I guess she can supplement him so he can spend most of his MP on cure spells, and she can...I dunno...shoot crossbows or something?

Honestly looking at TZA's two job system makes me wonder how any of these classes could possibly have been appealing in IZJS when you could only choose one job (and never change it). Like, who the hell would ever pick Archer? It has absolutely nothing going for it. Why would you pick Time Battlemage when you could pick Black Mage, or Red Battlemage? Just really bizarre that these were supposed to be standalone jobs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Honestly looking at TZA's two job system makes me wonder how any of these classes could possibly have been appealing in IZJS when you could only choose one job (and never change it). Like, who the hell would ever pick Archer? It has absolutely nothing going for it. Why would you pick Time Battlemage when you could pick Black Mage, or Red Battlemage? Just really bizarre that these were supposed to be standalone jobs.

Having played IZJS years ago before Zodiac Age came out: some of the jobs kinda sucked! People were so down on Time Battlemage (which we just called "Time Mage") and Machinist that they'd rather farm Hastega Motes at endgame than use either of those. (I do think time magick debuffs work on more hunt marks and bosses than you'd expect though of course except for hunt marks and optional espers it's not really that critical in IZJS/TZA.)

Bushi is one of the jobs that frustrates me the most, given that it only got mystic armor until endgame but katanas scale with Strength more than Magick Power. It also had nothing else to use its Magick Power on except for Shades of Black, which... I mean, that's cool in the early game but not exactly going to be worth your time in the later parts. Bushi's actually really great at endgame once you can get Genji equipment, but before then it's extremely mediocre specifically because of its armor selection.

Time Battlemage feels like the job that's most "saved" by the two-job system specifically because of its heavy armor. In IZJS it never made a ton of sense and Time Mage felt like it was a job made from whatever was left on the original license board after the other jobs were made. Why heavy armor? Why crossbows? What is any of that? Though in TZA, it's now a way to give a job like Shikari, Monk, or Bushi access to heavy armor, a ranged option (though Monk doesn't need that), and some pretty neat spells all in one package.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Finally got around to finishing FF5PR. Did anyone else run into a bug where Necrophobe didn't actually show up and they had the final save point open right off the bat? Because I was really confused when I never ran into him before fighting the final boss.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also on the topic of IZJS, years ago BrainWeasel did a great LP of IZJS on SA which is archived here on the LP Archive: https://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-XII-International-Zodiac-Job-System/

The LP has some analysis of the story and also a very completionist/informative approach to the gameplay videos. Characters' jobs and esper assignments were determined by essay contests in the LP thread, and BrainWeasel did a whole separate parallel playthrough with the other six jobs just to show them off. There's also a bonus LP of Shining Force II in there for some reason.

The main party's jobs ended up being Bushi (Vaan), Red Battlemage (Balthier), Machinist (Fran), Time Battlemage (Basch), White Mage (Ashe), and Uhlan (Penelo).

Harrow fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 24, 2021

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

dolphinbomb posted:

Finally got around to finishing FF5PR. Did anyone else run into a bug where Necrophobe didn't actually show up and they had the final save point open right off the bat? Because I was really confused when I never ran into him before fighting the final boss.

Yeah I had the same issue.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
Ran into the MP bug that occurs in FF5 when you add a magic command to a job that doesn't have as much MP. Specifically when I put Blue onto a Knight, they were stuck with their mediocre MP total until they leveled up, at which point the MP was recalculated and they got the Blue Mage's much higher total. Kind of a pain with Blue in particular since it's often necessary to throw on Learn temporarily, which doesn't provide the MP bonus.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Harrow posted:

(I do think time magick debuffs work on more hunt marks and bosses than you'd expect though of course except for hunt marks and optional espers it's not really that critical in IZJS/TZA.)

Eh I can see Slow working on most marks/bosses and maybe even Immobilize but I can't imagine many of them are vulnerable to Disable or Stop. Bleed might work on most of them but given that enemies have much larger HP pools than the PCs, it's largely useless. When an enemy has 72,000 HP, losing 10 HP per second is a drop in the bucket. Doom/Break/Warp/Gravity are going to be worthless against anything not vulnerable to instant death (which is going to be almost all of them), and Balance is just awful.

So yeah, Time Magick is poo poo as far as I can tell aside from making bosses a little slower and maybe keeping them planted in one spot so they can't chase you. Neither of which is completely worthless (slow is actually pretty solid!) but it doesn't make the job viable. Honestly I was down on Green before but I forgot that IZJS/TZA kind of moves magic around to different spots, so the kinda meh stuff like poison/Toxify got shoved into Black, and Green is left with mostly just Drain/Syphon, Reverse, Decoy and Bubble, all of which are pretty amazing. It gets Oil too, and Oil is worthless, but hey I guess every job has to have at least one worthless ability.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cardboard Fox posted:

Guess we won't know if this is a remake or remaster.

The only thing I do know is that if they do any sort of remix with the music I will be eternally angry.

Trials of Mana got a complete remake so it's entirely possible.

But I'm betting on, and would be satisfied with, a remaster.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
I've been playing FF12 on and off for the past year or so, with the stipulation that I use only one job for character. I kind of agree that Time Battlemage doesn't really have a huge amount of utility in practice due to how situational most time spells are, but at the same time I've found it to be a very solid damage dealer. If I start doing the particularly nasty post-game stuff it might not hold up, but it has been frequently strong throughout the game. IIRC FF12 loves giving you some really decent crossbows around the midpoint. Plus having another source of Decoy/Bubble is always a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah as a stand-alone job, Time Battlemage has… issues. Crossbows are fine and it has some useful spells (Float is also great) but most of the time it’s kinda just a side grade from Archer really. You trade the item lores for a few good spells and not needing espers for heavy armor.

I appreciate that SFF gave them Quake and Quakega so they have a little more going on. That, along with the buffs to crossbows and increased debuff accuracy, helps Time Battlemage feel like a decent job in its own right rather than just a way to add heavy armor to Monk or something. Though it’s still awkward as a mage job locked to heavy armor and you won’t get much Quake spell damage without pairing with a mystic armor job.