Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Mu Zeta posted:

I wonder if it's the oils. Does 3 cups of French Press have the same effect?

Interesting idea, I'll try tomorrow :)

hypnophant posted:

I drink 2 20 gram shots most mornings, occasionally a third shot in the afternoon, and sometimes on weekends i make a 60g liter of drip instead of the shots. A fourth shot would probably get me a little jittery but i don’t think i’ve ever had chest tightness from drinking coffee, I would definitely cut back if i started having symptoms like that, and probably talk to my doctor about it to be safe. I did cut back at one point when i was working odd hours and needed to improve my sleep quality; I went down to one small tim hortons coffee a day, and had bad headaches and was in an awful mood for about a week but adapted after that.
Fair point, I don't mind moving back to pour over. Nice to have a bit more variety anyway :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

If you did find out it was the acid and wanted to go really deep you could look at making your own water with a higher alkalinity to temper it out.

https://espressoaf.com/guides/water.html

I'm just starting on the water journey (my reverse osmosis filter is arriving today) but I've done some experiments at home and the taste difference is incredible.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

nwin posted:

I don’t know but I doubt it. They’re still selling out and are in high demand so why would the offer a discount?

If you’re in the US, check out https://www.espressocoffeeshop.com/en/

You can email them for a discount on the eureka machines and they come out relatively cheap from what I’ve seen.

e; I triple checked and I know the outlet in question is 110V, I guess I'm just nervous at dropping the money and having to deal with a hiccup like an adapter. Probably just caution at the most expensive thing I'll have bought if I pull the trigger behind a car. Found a page that seems to confirm they ship 110V with the appropriate US plugs. Sleeping on it.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 16, 2021

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

New Espresso accessories just dropped

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

Megabound posted:

New Espresso accessories just dropped

incredible

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Nice bird

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Wild that your body can get so specifically accustomed to a dose in espresso. I just went 30% higher for laffs and it feels like the first time :sludgepal:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I tapped out my grinder and it was enough to choke my machine

drat retention, you crazy

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

I haven’t been keeping up with my bag-a-week coffee subscription so I bumped from 2 doubles to 3 and I’m grinding my teeth a lot lmao.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
e: sorry thought I was posting in TCC

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Kevin DuBrow posted:

e: sorry thought I was posting in TCC

Judging by the above post, you clearly posted in the right place.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
My temperature gauge for my Rocket Appartamento arrived and I got it installed. Managed to scratch the group head when I was installing it which is a bit annoying.

Anyway, is the idea that you want to keep the temp. inside the 88-98C window with the majority of time spent (during shot pull) at the temperature you’re aiming for?

So far it’s kind of wild how much the temperature swings around depending on what you’re doing.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Red_Fred posted:

My temperature gauge for my Rocket Appartamento arrived and I got it installed. Managed to scratch the group head when I was installing it which is a bit annoying.

Anyway, is the idea that you want to keep the temp. inside the 88-98C window with the majority of time spent (during shot pull) at the temperature you’re aiming for?

So far it’s kind of wild how much the temperature swings around depending on what you’re doing.

Do you have a lot of control over this? The main way you can adjust temperature, short of twiddling the thermostat, is to flush the grouphead before the shot

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

hypnophant posted:

Do you have a lot of control over this? The main way you can adjust temperature, short of twiddling the thermostat, is to flush the grouphead before the shot

Yeah the only control I have is time and amount of flush that I do. For example when I got to the machine after ~40 mins of warm up it was sitting at 100C which is way too hot. Did a flush and it dropped down to 97-98C.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

You guys feeling coffee prices rise at your grocery stores as well? Bad harvest effects are finally reaching the consumer I think.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I can't speak for supermarkets, but our local roasters have pretty much held to their current pricing (which was already really loving high but whatever). Where we are feeling it is just in availability. Between bad harvests and the Ethiopian civil war a lot of our local roasters' old standbys have been out of stock a lot lately.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I buy from a local dude that just roasts in his garage and his prices have held firm. $22 for 2lbs of decaf is great for me and it tastes great.

https://birdandbearcoffee.com/pages/about-bird-and-bear-coffee

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the big harvest problems were in brazil, which is a really big deal for global commodity-grade coffee that goes into starbucks and folgers and stuff, but not for most higher-end specialty stuff that's already priced way above the c-market

ethiopian prices are also basically unchanged on the (consumer) specialty market, last harvest was mostly on the water before the current conflict intensified, iirc -- i assume it'll be next harvest that's affected, especially if addis ababa gets surrounded. bigger problem at the moment that's driving unavailability has just been getting containers to america and then actually unloaded from ports, apparently

eke out fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 22, 2021

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Any electric burr grinder recommendations that are also small? We don't have a lot of counter space and it seems like most burr grinders take up quite a bit more room than the blade grinder we currently have.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Any electric burr grinder recommendations that are also small? We don't have a lot of counter space and it seems like most burr grinders take up quite a bit more room than the blade grinder we currently have.

For filter? What kind of price range?

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Mu Zeta posted:

I buy from a local dude that just roasts in his garage and his prices have held firm. $22 for 2lbs of decaf is great for me and it tastes great.

https://birdandbearcoffee.com/pages/about-bird-and-bear-coffee

That's a good deal for 2 lbs, and free shipping! I ordered a bag to try out.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

So in researching the burr upgrade for my encore, I came across the stepless mod.

Which lead me to someone who built an adjustment pin to convert it from a 40 step to an 80 step.

Someone 3D printed a bunch and I’m gonna try it out. The weak spot for me so far on the grinder is not enough steps to dial in (I end up getting stuck dialing by dose once I hit the limit) so I’m excited to try this out. I wasn’t a fan of the slip risk with stepless so this feels like a really good compromise.

I’ll probably upgrade the burrs later.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Lagom Mini

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Fellow ode

If space is really tight, I can't think of any electric burr grinders that can go in a cupboard as easily as a blade grinder can, but hand grinders mostly could

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Ode is tiny and great if you're just doing brew coffee

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Nemox?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

But doesn't the fellow ode explode coffee grounds all over your kitchen and have static issues?

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Lots of people say it doesn’t grind fine enough for a lot of coffees without a burr upgrade too.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Lord Stimperor posted:

But doesn't the fellow ode explode coffee grounds all over your kitchen and have static issues?

The niche is pretty compact too, now that you mention it

The ode is a bit messier and statickier than other grinders in its price class, but that's a tradeoff against the small size. I don't believe it's as bad as you're asking (and not as bad as the real cheap $40 burr grinders) but I don't own one

e: I would definitely not try to grind for espresso with the ode but it should be fine for pourover

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, it's explicitly a pourover/filter grinder, you can change the burr set and change the offset and grind for espresso but the motor is not rated for it. Lots of people do tho.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Ode has no static issues if you RDT. And the updated burrs from fellow are fine enough for v60

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Bobstar posted:

For filter? What kind of price range?

#4 and its for a moccamaster. ~$200?

anything good for black friday? I will look into the above suggestions. thanks!

looks like Costco has the Ode for $250 which seems like a pretty decent deal.

Teabag Dome Scandal fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Nov 23, 2021

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Just got the "only pay shipping" Tchibo coffee and immediately realized this is Too Much Coffee for me to use before it goes stale (more stale?). Is it safe to say cold brew frozen into cubes lasts longer than just freezing the beans? Chest freezer so no worries about defrost cycles.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Freezing beans is fine and good. Tape up the valve on the bag and Chuck em in the freezer. It'll halt the degassing. Once you're ready to use take out the entire bag the night before. You don't want them freezing or thawing in direct contact to fresh air.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
12.5% off Izzo Alex Duetto IV for BF made me pull the trigger. Looking forward to that rotary pump.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

#4 and its for a moccamaster. ~$200?

anything good for black friday? I will look into the above suggestions. thanks!

looks like Costco has the Ode for $250 which seems like a pretty decent deal.

If you get the Ode, make sure to buy a tiny fine mist spray bottle from amazon. Give the beans a sprits before grinding.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Partial Octopus posted:

If you get the Ode, make sure to buy a tiny fine mist spray bottle from amazon. Give the beans a sprits before grinding.

Pulled the trigger on the Ode from Costco since that seems like a good deal. I've seen RDT mentioned a lot. We actually randomly have a tiny sprayer that does a really nice mist and is pretty small from something previous so I think I'm good to go. Hopefully she doesn't find it too annoying but static sounds like it can be a common issue all over the place.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Pulled the trigger on the Ode from Costco since that seems like a good deal. I've seen RDT mentioned a lot. We actually randomly have a tiny sprayer that does a really nice mist and is pretty small from something previous so I think I'm good to go. Hopefully she doesn't find it too annoying but static sounds like it can be a common issue all over the place.

With the Ode, you have to look out for RDT'd beans sticking to the hopper floor. I usually end up having to dislodge a few sticky beans with my finger each time I grind. It might sound like a hassle, but it's really worth doing. RDT turns the Ode from a staticky mess into a really nice filter grinder. Well, that and getting some nice SSP burrs for it, but that's a significant extra expense.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

So in researching the burr upgrade for my encore, I came across the stepless mod.

Which lead me to someone who built an adjustment pin to convert it from a 40 step to an 80 step.

Someone 3D printed a bunch and I’m gonna try it out. The weak spot for me so far on the grinder is not enough steps to dial in (I end up getting stuck dialing by dose once I hit the limit) so I’m excited to try this out. I wasn’t a fan of the slip risk with stepless so this feels like a really good compromise.

I’ll probably upgrade the burrs later.

Is there a link for that ~someone~ or was this just a friend? I gave my son a Virtuoso, but you know the caveat re: a finer dial-in system.

edit- having used a Preciso for a few years, I think a scale of 80 would do fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

Is there a link for that ~someone~ or was this just a friend? I gave my son a Virtuoso, but you know the caveat re: a finer dial-in system.

edit- having used a Preciso for a few years, I think a scale of 80 would do fine.

https://reddit.com/r/espresso/comments/ovivzb/3d_printable_doublestep_adjustment_pin_for/

This person sent me 2 for :10bux: (cause they didn’t test it long term so they’re unsure of durability). If you look at the linked original post, the person who originated the idea just chopped up a piece of plastic, but I didn’t feel like loving with that.

I still don’t have it yet so I can’t give you a trip update yet.