Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

and maybe something for inventory management because I really forgot how clunky looking for stuff i have on me felt. Oh, and while I know that levelled items aren't really quite as much of a thing as they were in oblivion, maybe something that, if I throw some cash into an item, I can 'reset' its level to scale closer to what I currently am?
SkyUI by itself will help with inventory management, it adds filtering by various categories and even a straight up search bar to the Skyrim inventory system IIRC. And really it's essential for any modded playthrough of Skyrim because it has as one of its features the Mod Configuration Menu which many (most?) mods use for a lot of their adjustable settings.

As for leveled items, this mod adds a spell you can cast that will replace all your leveled items that are on its list (I assume in your inventory) with versions at or near your level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I was also getting the urge to play a ridiculously modded Skyrim recently. I don't actually own SE, though I've got every DLC for the base game. 50 bucks is pretty loving steep to rebuy a decade old game so I think I'm gonna wait for a sale for that.

I'm unfamiliar with the differences in SE though, it's just more optimized? Are there many mods out there that won't work with SE?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I was also getting the urge to play a ridiculously modded Skyrim recently. I don't actually own SE, though I've got every DLC for the base game. 50 bucks is pretty loving steep to rebuy a decade old game so I think I'm gonna wait for a sale for that.

I'm unfamiliar with the differences in SE though, it's just more optimized? Are there many mods out there that won't work with SE?

I think pretty much every noteworthy mod has been converted to SE by now. There's probably more SE only mods than Oldrim only ones by now. Other than that, it's way more stable and has improved graphics.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

That's good to know.

is it still suggested to use Mod Organizer? I see there's a new version of it out. I instinctively downloaded Vortex and started loading up mods that way, but i'm a bit out of the loop

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

DarkAvenger211 posted:

That's good to know.

is it still suggested to use Mod Organizer? I see there's a new version of it out. I instinctively downloaded Vortex and started loading up mods that way, but i'm a bit out of the loop

Yeah, I just got set up the other day with Mod Organizer 2, looks like it supports both old an new. Feels like it went pretty smooth, but it's basically my first time modding.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Mod organizer supports every Bethesda game from Morrowind on.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, I just got set up the other day with Mod Organizer 2, looks like it supports both old an new. Feels like it went pretty smooth, but it's basically my first time modding.

Skwirl posted:

Mod organizer supports every Bethesda game from Morrowind on.

Awesome thanks for the info :)

Hopefully we'll see a cheap Black Friday deal for the SE tomorrow (assuming the steam sale rumours are still accurate)

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So with a bunch of the dependent libraries updated (SKSE, PapyrusUtil, Address Library, etc.), SSE Engine Fixes updated, and whatnot... I updated.

Currently I have three mods that aren't working 100% (they don't crash the game, they just don't function right now):

- More Informative Console (which is being updated by the author)
- MoreHud (also being updated by the author)
- Quick Loot RE (which the author has said he unfortunately doesn't have the time to update)

Beyond that, it's mostly just waiting on various patches and stuff to update for me. Everything else seems to be mostly working.

.Net Framework is busted (but only one mod that I had used it and that wasn't really essential), Honed Metal was busted (but I never used it and just removed it, honestly), but otherwise things seem normal. Even the MCM stuff and XPMSE are working, along with AllGUD. Holy poo poo. This is faster than I expected.

Burns
May 10, 2008

AllGUD seems like a massive pain in the rear end to actually setup.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Burns posted:

It's mostly getting the output folders setup that's a pain. Once you get that down, it's actually really straightforward. The script does the majority of the work and you just kinda run it on your whole load order and it doesn't take long. Once you trudge through the initial setup it's really easy to maintain/update/replace whenever necessary.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

I'm guessing Enderal is probably it's own self contained mod and wouldn't play very nice with other mods?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I'm guessing Enderal is probably it's own self contained mod and wouldn't play very nice with other mods?

There are a bunch of mods specifically made for Enderal.
https://www.nexusmods.com/enderal
https://www.nexusmods.com/enderalspecialedition

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Burns posted:

It annoyed the hell out of me (because I am a dumb and I do things wrong), but it turns out there's a Synthesis patcher that does basically everything, and much, much faster:

Get AllGUD, then get the AllGUD conditions fix from here, then get this, and run the Synthesis patcher (you just have to set the output folders). Patcher took a few minutes at most for a really heavily modded setup, no messing with xedit scripts or even manually patching skeletons, though you still need the modded one.

I don't run it on the NPCs because I figured that would add a bunch of unnecessary script processing, I use Simple Dual Sheath and turn off player display in the ini file.

Soks
Apr 1, 2006
lol internet
The final version of QWEST was reuploaded a few days ago if anyone missed out (like me).

It's in the #unofficial-modlist-submissions channel on the Wabbajack discord, but here. And the readme here. Requires the AE unpatcher ofc, the full one.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

So I picked up Skyrim SE on sale at the humble store and got the Skyrim Script Extender 64 downloaded as well, installed through MO2 by putting the exe and dll's in my Skyrim directory, and the data folder managed by MO2.

When I try to launch it it complains I'm running a newer version of Skyrim than SKSE64 supports and closes. I just downloaded the latest from here: http://skse.silverlock.org/. Have I literally just gotten unlucky and there's actually been a recent Skyrim SE update that SKSE64 doesn't support yet or am I missing something here?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So I picked up Skyrim SE on sale at the humble store and got the Skyrim Script Extender 64 downloaded as well, installed through MO2 by putting the exe and dll's in my Skyrim directory, and the data folder managed by MO2.

When I try to launch it it complains I'm running a newer version of Skyrim than SKSE64 supports and closes. I just downloaded the latest from here: http://skse.silverlock.org/. Have I literally just gotten unlucky and there's actually been a recent Skyrim SE update that SKSE64 doesn't support yet or am I missing something here?

Bethesda released the Anniversary Edition on the 11th. There's a version for the AE on there: Preliminary AE build 2.1.3 (runtime 1.6.323).

You need that one. Yes, even if whatever you bought said "Special Edition". You definitely came into it at an inconvenient time, so a bit unlucky, but the preliminary build of SKSE is almost entirely functional at this point. A handful of mods might not be working yet, but most of the important ones (like SkyUI) should.

The AE isn't an entirely new release, but rather an update to SE, which is why all of this is happening right now. The other versions are for people who deliberately haven't updated to AE from SE (runtime 1.5.97), and then the VR peeps.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 24, 2021

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
They said there would be a fix this week for the Black Sounds of Death.

That would be nice because a bunch of mods that can and will work will also tank the game after a while. Things like Wearable Lanterns, a bunch of follower add-ons, Serana dialogue add-on, Inigo. All sort of work and then BSOD when you load which totally locks up my system. Only choice is to ctrl+alt+del and sign out, then hit esc as various programs close and hope it just closes Skyrim.

e: oh god I just looked in steam and there's an update required :sweatdrop:

BaldDwarfOnPCP fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 24, 2021

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

They said there would be a fix this week for the Black Sounds of Death.

That would be nice because a bunch of mods that can and will work will also tank the game after a while. Things like Wearable Lanterns, a bunch of follower add-ons, Serana dialogue add-on, Inigo. All sort of work and then BSOD when you load which totally locks up my system. Only choice is to ctrl+alt+del and sign out, then hit esc as various programs close and hope it just closes Skyrim.

e: oh god I just looked in steam and there's an update required :sweatdrop:

Yep. The latest update supposedly fixes the Black Sounds of Death.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Gonkish posted:

Bethesda released the Anniversary Edition on the 11th. There's a version for the AE on there: Preliminary AE build 2.1.3 (runtime 1.6.323).

You need that one. Yes, even if whatever you bought said "Special Edition". You definitely came into it at an inconvenient time, so a bit unlucky, but the preliminary build of SKSE is almost entirely functional at this point. A handful of mods might not be working yet, but most of the important ones (like SkyUI) should.

The AE isn't an entirely new release, but rather an update to SE, which is why all of this is happening right now. The other versions are for people who deliberately haven't updated to AE from SE (runtime 1.5.97), and then the VR peeps.

Ah thank you, that seems to be the problem.

Just perusing through a bunch of mods now.

What are people's opinions on Alternate Start - Live another Life vs Skyrim unbound? They both seem to do the same thing but are obviously not compatible. Not sure what the start options are for either of them yet

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Alternate Start is fine and pretty minimal. It's hard to imagine how different they really are. Alternate Start has you pick a few options and boom, drops you in a related location. Like "I'm drunk in a tavern" and you get to pick which one or "I'm joining the legion" and you start in the legion war room with the quest started.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Ah thank you, that seems to be the problem.

Just perusing through a bunch of mods now.

What are people's opinions on Alternate Start - Live another Life vs Skyrim unbound? They both seem to do the same thing but are obviously not compatible. Not sure what the start options are for either of them yet

unbound is more indepth, but live another life alllowed you to start with a house or as a member of a guild. I think the granularity of Skyrim Unbound wins out though.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Alternate perspective is another one and it's pretty good. It's new and doesn't have the arthmoor stink on it.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Alternate start is an Arthmoor mod if that has any influence on your decision
I use Skyrim Unbound and quite like it.
You use a MCM menu to set up your start and you can even chose to not be Dragonborn at all and cut out the entire main quest. You pick starting location, equipment, spells, wealth level etc and then you go to character creation and then you start in your starting location.
The first 2 main quests are completely skipped. You start the main quest by killing your first dragon (when dragons appear is configurable too) and getting called up to see the greybeards. You become thane of Whiterun by doing the Gildergreen quest and then talking to Balgruuf and helping people in the hold.

My current character is a Breton mage who arrived by boat at Solitude docks from High Rock to attend the College of Winterhold and later on found out that she was Dragonborn.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Living Skyrim (xp only on quests and completing dungeons, magic takes time to learn?)

You get xp from exploring and doing quests, rather than grinding skills. It means you level by going places you haven’t gone and doing quests you haven’t done. You also choose a set of skills for your “class” and the other skills have a lower cap. It’s actually very intuitive once you get your brain around it. It means you don’t level up by transmuting a bunch of iron and turning it into gold necklaces, and when combined with monster level (and loot) mostly being based on location rather than your level, it also removes the thing where you don’t want to accidentally raise a skill you don’t care about for fear of making bandits tougher. If something is too hard you just go off and do a few quests.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

I'll probably try Skyrim unbound then, Arthmoor is the GateGate guy right? I haven't followed the drama that much but I have heard about that.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The one benefit of Alternate Start is that it starts you off prepackaged either in a guild or as the owner of a property. Its useful if you want to roleplay as a member of a guild. Of course the caveat is that if you walk vaguely in the direction of helgen the main quest starts immediately. Unbound at least lets you explore helgen uninterrupted.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

A newer option worth considering is Alternate Perspective, which starts you off before the destruction of Helgen and in fact allows you to see it as it was (that is to say, might have been), full of shops and people. The main quest only starts once you rent a room at the inn and sleep there, at which point you'll wake up to the events of the vanilla intro, though from, well, a different perspective.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

I think I remember trying one a few years ago that let me start as a wizard underground and that was pretty fun, everything there outleveled you but you started with a bunch of invisibility potions to make it out. It was different for sure.

Now that I've got way too many mods. Does LOOT work with Mod Organizer 2? There's a good chance I'm gonna be messing up the load order manually for a bit so I'd like to maybe run it through some automated tools first

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I think I remember trying one a few years ago that let me start as a wizard underground and that was pretty fun, everything there outleveled you but you started with a bunch of invisibility potions to make it out. It was different for sure.

Now that I've got way too many mods. Does LOOT work with Mod Organizer 2? There's a good chance I'm gonna be messing up the load order manually for a bit so I'd like to maybe run it through some automated tools first

LOOT does work with Mod Organizer, you have to add LOOT as an executable to run through Mod Organizer itself but if you do that it will be just fine.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Yeah, but you have to run Loot through mod organizer..

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Doesn't MO2 literally have a built in button to run LOOT? Like if you click "sort" on the plugins menu.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Doesn't MO2 literally have a built in button to run LOOT? Like if you click "sort" on the plugins menu.

Yeah, but you still need to set it up as its own executable so that it knows where you have it stored.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

The GUI version spits out a list with plugin notes before sorting
https://loot.github.io/
Extract LOOT to its own folder and add the exe through MO2

LOOT isn't infallible and will mess with conflict resolution or merge patch ordering in some cases

I only use LOOT these days to check masterlist notes like "hey clean this mod with SSEEdit" or "don't use these 2 mods together" and sort things on my own afterwards

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Gonkish posted:

Yeah, but you still need to set it up as its own executable so that it knows where you have it stored.

Huh, I don't think I did that. I installed MO2, set up SKSE, downloaded my mods then clicked sort and a little CMD prompt showed up that swore called itself "LOOT" somewhere and did some stuff and sorted my mod load order. I'm totally going to assume this isn't perfect, but so far things seem to be okay for my small modlist.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Huh, I don't think I did that. I installed MO2, set up SKSE, downloaded my mods then clicked sort and a little CMD prompt showed up that swore called itself "LOOT" somewhere and did some stuff and sorted my mod load order. I'm totally going to assume this isn't perfect, but so far things seem to be okay for my small modlist.

I believe MO2 has had a built in load order sorter based off of LOOT for awhile, but it's not as good as full fat LOOT basically. Part of what makes load order sorters good is updated ideas about what's in each mod, so it matters to have a new version.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I recall that there was a mod that let you exchange dragon souls for perk points - anyone know what that was?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Devor posted:

I recall that there was a mod that let you exchange dragon souls for perk points - anyone know what that was?

This is the one I use

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2879

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I believe Thunderchild has something like that, but if not use Dragon Soul Relinquishment.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Deadly Dragons also has it, and it's adjustable iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Thanks all - I think Thunderchild was the one I was thinking of (and it looks cool even if it wasn't)