Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That would make sense, considering Morrowind starts on a prison transport, then Oblivion starts in your cell, and then Skyrim starts with your execution.

TES VI logically should start with you in your grave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I reinstalled pubg and was kinda having fun just running around dying stupidly and about 5 games in i got a massive frame rate hitch just as a chance at a long range snipe came up. Instant jump off the cliff and uninstall moment

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Harrow posted:

What are your most unpopular positive gaming opinions? Games you love that are generally disliked, gameplay things you like that other people don't, things like that.

I think mine at least used to be "Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter loving rules" but I feel like I see more people praising that game than hating on it lately so that might not be so unpopular anymore. Maybe my other one is "Chrono Cross is almost as good as Chrono Trigger, which means it's great"

I swear I am no mere contrarian, but I hold the exact opposite stance on or otherwise staunchly disagree with tons of poo poo:

- Bethesda's games are good and entirely playable and fun without modding them to the gills and in fact I'd bet that a fair few accusations of them being janky and unstable are actually from mods. Those games DO have technical problems, but every single instance I encountered was an infuriating but ultimately pedestrian scripting error. I'm sure they're much worse on console, tho.

- Borderlands' writing isn't complete dogshit. It's not amazing either, but there's no need to constantly performatively talk up how every single line of dialogue makes you want stab yourself in the ears and then throw yourself in front of a train. Tiny Tina in particular is largely ok but yeah maybe not great to have the little white girl talk AAVE-like. Also the idea that the game is just memes memes memes is itself a meme and not reality.

- Ubisoft's games are generally pretty good and ironically five years ago when people really started ramping up the "every Ubisoft game is the same thing" stuff it was actually the point where they were at their most distinct from one another. Nowadays they actually are a lot more samey, because Ubisoft's dipshit executives demanded it.

- Arkham Asylum continues to age further and further from its GOAT reputation and Arkham City sucks and was always secretly trash. Arkham Origins has a lot of problems and despite being about the goddamn Joker again actually makes it work. Arkham Knight also tries a lot harder and once you get past the Batmobile both figuratively and literally it's a pretty drat good game.

- Bioshock 1 and 2 both hold up fine for different reasons. (Also Prey was definitely drawing from Bioshock just as much as it was drawing from System Shock.)

- Fighting games are deeply unpleasant to try and crack into and regardless of how welcoming the community is or isn't, it will never fix the fact that the games themselves are intentionally designed to be impenetrable to anyone who isn't already a fan of the genre. I am very suspicious of the fact that one of the few games that does try to be newbie friendly - Smash Bros. - is often written off as not being a "real" fighting game.

- Majora's Mask is an interesting game but also not very good and I feel like it automatically gets upgraded in peoples' minds simply because it's so bleak and dark and they didn't fully realize that when they were kids.

- Also more generally, weird franchise offshoots and wonky mid-budget games are incredibly fascinating and it's way more fun to dive into them with an open mind instead of screeching about how XCOM can't be a shooter!!!!! or whatever the gently caress.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Harrow posted:

What are your most unpopular positive gaming opinions? Games you love that are generally disliked, gameplay things you like that other people don't, things like that.

- I like the look, sound, and character design of street fighter ex+a much more than third strike which I'm pretty sure makes me mentally deranged
- Virtua fighter has the best characters of any fighting game franchise because it hasn't made the dumb mistake of letting me know anything of importance about its cast of characters, which in every other franchise has invariably ensured I don't like them as much

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also it's me, the one person who actually sort of likes X-Com Enforcer.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Doctor J Off posted:

If you look in your heart you would see that Suikoden I and II would be just as anime if the PSX could support the graphical style

Thank god it couldn't

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
XCOM 2

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

fridge corn posted:

Thank god it couldn't

I really miss the low poly we-wish-we-could-make-this-anime-but-we-cant style of so many ps1/saturn games

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Interrupting the suicide charge to save your squadmates was incredibly dumb and makes me laugh hard enough that I wrapped around to appreciating it.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There are plenty of gamers who share this opinion
it's just the corporate management who disagree and want everything to be a live-service game to maximize profits

I dunno. There’s also lots of indies that just keep updating their games. It’s kind of annoying in the same way that people who put in unpaid extra effort at your job are. It makes other people doing a perfectly acceptable job look bad and there’s a danger of it becoming expected.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Terraria, dead cells, stardew keep updating because they have the cash flow and dedication. The others... no game is ever gonna be done, so let them patch. Every old game I've played in the last year has needed some patch or other that never came.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K71AbGKq5Zk

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Megaman Legends proved that you can make anime out of anything, poly count be damned

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pretty soft girl posted:

I really miss the low poly we-wish-we-could-make-this-anime-but-we-cant style of so many ps1/saturn games

Art from adversity prevented anime for so long and alas, we can only miss and lament that adversity being gone.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The idea that games are awful for providing game loops is dumb. Like, I like looter shooters. I've seen complaints that it's awful because the randomised nature of the system means there's "always something better" around the corner. Yeah there is. That's kind of what the game is built on. If the shooty parts are satisfying the looty parts give you a reason to keep trying new things. It's how it works.

I'm not talking about lootbox poo poo obviously, but the idea that some games are bad because there's no inherent win state is weird. You can just enjoy a game. You don't need to max everything and have the perfect setup all the time. Be flawed, have fun.

I think the opinion is that I like numbers go up but hate people obsessing over them. Stop playing the game at that point, for your own sake.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

I think the opinion is that I like numbers go up but hate people obsessing over them. Stop playing the game at that point, for your own sake.

Piggybacking on this it's also okay to stop playing a game because you're done with it and you don't have to find a reason to hate every game you stopped playing.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

syntaxfunction posted:

The idea that games are awful for providing game loops is dumb. Like, I like looter shooters. I've seen complaints that it's awful because the randomised nature of the system means there's "always something better" around the corner. Yeah there is. That's kind of what the game is built on. If the shooty parts are satisfying the looty parts give you a reason to keep trying new things. It's how it works.

I'm not talking about lootbox poo poo obviously, but the idea that some games are bad because there's no inherent win state is weird. You can just enjoy a game. You don't need to max everything and have the perfect setup all the time. Be flawed, have fun.

I do think though, there's an element of those kinds of games, especially MMO's, where there's this attitude that's like, "Once I accomplish X, this will be awesome!". And, it's often like "When I get to full build, this will be amazing!". They obviously perpetuate this as much as they can, and put in gated 'endgame' content (like as if it's actually different gameplay) so that you're always trying to build to that. Sometimes people think they're having fun, but actually, they're feeling a sense of accomplishment of working toward a goal. But it's not the same thing.

For some people, they don't really see the wood for the trees. Like I had to point out to my one friend, "This is it. This is the game. If you're stressing out about completing quests to level up, and stressing about grinding profession stuff to build top tier gear, then you're stressing about playing the game, because this is IT." And it was kind of an awakening, he sorta stopped having a bad time, and also cut down how much he was playing.

I know this ties into your final point, but I do think that there's actually like a kind of blurred line a lot of the time with stuff like Diablo, where people are playing not for the numbers going up, but for the 'promise of whats to come', having the numbers be high enough for when they finally reach some imagined point. But, by design, there is never actually a 'what' to come. This isn't just Diablo, but basically anything with unlocks. I know I was playing a bunch of Overwatch at the end of my tenure, purely because I felt like I'd nearly got all the costumes I wanted. But, like, 'having' all the costumes isn't ... fun? It wasn't like a 'trying to platinum it' thing, it was just, like, "Then I could play".

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

syntaxfunction posted:

If grim dawn with its 'very positive' reviews is an exemplar of lootshoot, it's a poo poo genre. lots of games are Not For Me, but grim dawn is poo poo.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

John Murdoch posted:

- Also more generally, weird franchise offshoots and wonky mid-budget games are incredibly fascinating and it's way more fun to dive into them with an open mind instead of screeching about how XCOM can't be a shooter!!!!! or whatever the gently caress.

The XCOM shooter was a better Mass Effect than Mass Effect Andromeda (which isnt as bad as people said, just boring after about only 20 hours).

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If I'm starting a new RPG and equipping weapons doesn't visually change my weapon model that's basically an uninstall unless the gameplay is really novel and cool. It's stupid and petty but that's just how I feel.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

One of my favourite things about Everquest was fashionquest

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

syntaxfunction posted:

The thing I hate about those games, is the treadmill nature it. Difficulty and progression is just based on how much time you've wasted not you improving as a player. Like, if I play a loot game on easy and then get better gear and play it on hard. It's the same experience as easy, the game is just telling me it's "hard". It's an almost static experience that is portrayed as progression because numbers go up and it get so boring so fast.

Not that I can't enjoy them if im in the right mood. I just got done playing Diablo 3 for like 2 hours so I'm not "too good" for them lol, but I never get deeply hooked on them for this reason.

I do really hate Destiny though. One of the most boring series I have ever played.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Who What Now posted:

If I'm starting a new RPG and equipping weapons doesn't visually change my weapon model that's basically an uninstall unless the gameplay is really novel and cool. It's stupid and petty but that's just how I feel.

it is petty but I'm the same way.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mescal posted:

If grim dawn with its 'very positive' reviews is an exemplar of lootshoot, it's a poo poo genre. lots of games are Not For Me, but grim dawn is poo poo.

grim dawn isnt a looter-shooter. its just a looter

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Morrowind and Skyrim are not only great without mods, but outright shouldn’t be played with them until you’ve fully experienced at least one full playthrough.

Oblivion wasn’t that good because it’s stuck at this kind of halfway point gameplay wise between Morrowind and Skyrim and where it has both of their flaws but is missing their virtues.

For the same reason Skyward Sword isn’t very good because it’s very obviously Nintendo beta testing Breath of the Wild but being unwilling to fully commit.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
no one should play skyrim any more. you played it enough, its time to move on

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Rutibex posted:

I haven’t played it in years, but the time I did was a blast.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Honestly yeah. Every time I revisit Skyrim it's to install new mods, load the game and realise it's still Skyrim and no amount of mods are gonna change that. I enjoyed it, I modded it to gently caress, I don't want to go back any more.

veni veni veni posted:

The thing I hate about those games, is the treadmill nature it. Difficulty and progression is just based on how much time you've wasted not you improving as a player. Like, if I play a loot game on easy and then get better gear and play it on hard. It's the same experience as easy, the game is just telling me it's "hard". It's an almost static experience that is portrayed as progression because numbers go up and it get so boring so fast.

Not that I can't enjoy them if im in the right mood. I just got done playing Diablo 3 for like 2 hours so I'm not "too good" for them lol, but I never get deeply hooked on them for this reason.

I do really hate Destiny though. One of the most boring series I have ever played.

The treadmill nature is loving weird. Like, I don't really like Diablo but I do like Destiny (this is the bad opinions thread) but the only way I enjoyed it was to basically ignore the treadmill part. I've just been playing it like an arena shooter with some randomisation. It's way better.

I think it'd be a better game if they just ditched the big numbers entirely. I don't really feel a difference in it unless you try to do content at a higher level. It seems pointless. Remove the level number thing, make the perks and poo poo interesting for different playstyles and make the harder content actually harder (which they do anyway, but could do better).

Numbers are dumb if all they do is move damage up or down. What's the point?

There's way too much focus on endgame stuff. Like, the way it's treated is there's no point caring until you're at the endgame. And that makes me question why you wouldn't cut out the meaningless poo poo? The idea of paying for an instant level to endgame disturbs me. If you aren't enjoying the process of playing until you hit an arbitrary number, doesn't that mean you don't really enjoy the game?

I can fall into that trap, I have clinical OCD and an obsession with numbers. So the moment that flag goes off in my head that game goes away instantly. I don't play for magic numbers, I play for fun.

Who What Now posted:

Entirely agreed. I also agree it's petty, but that's a big reason why JRPGs don't interest me. I get they have a style but I'm selfish.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

syntaxfunction posted:

Honestly yeah. Every time I revisit Skyrim it's to install new mods, load the game and realise it's still Skyrim and no amount of mods are gonna change that. I enjoyed it, I modded it to gently caress, I don't want to go back any more.

The treadmill nature is loving weird. Like, I don't really like Diablo but I do like Destiny (this is the bad opinions thread) but the only way I enjoyed it was to basically ignore the treadmill part. I've just been playing it like an arena shooter with some randomisation. It's way better.

I think it'd be a better game if they just ditched the big numbers entirely. I don't really feel a difference in it unless you try to do content at a higher level. It seems pointless. Remove the level number thing, make the perks and poo poo interesting for different playstyles and make the harder content actually harder (which they do anyway, but could do better).

It could be that, in the case of Destiny, the point is player retention. The longer somebody plays the game the likelier they are to spend some money on microtransactions. And after that it's something like over 70% chance that they'll spend again, iirc some article I read about GaaS.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

syntaxfunction posted:

Last month, I spent two hours to fresh install Skyrim, which I hadn't played in like four or five years, and mod it to "perfection". The mods created this beautiful, perfect masterpiece of a game: increased graphics, increased immersion, increased possibilities and increased fidelity.

The moment I left my initial starting spot, I said out loud "what the gently caress am I doing", quit and uninstalled the entire thing.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

syntaxfunction posted:

There's way too much focus on endgame stuff. Like, the way it's treated is there's no point caring until you're at the endgame. And that makes me question why you wouldn't cut out the meaningless poo poo? The idea of paying for an instant level to endgame disturbs me. If you aren't enjoying the process of playing until you hit an arbitrary number, doesn't that mean you don't really enjoy the game?

I can fall into that trap, I have clinical OCD and an obsession with numbers. So the moment that flag goes off in my head that game goes away instantly. I don't play for magic numbers, I play for fun.

Yeah I've got similar brain problems so I'm absolutely susceptible to getting too sucked into a thing and I've grown really sensitive to that stuff. I straight up do not go near multiplayer games anymore because every last one does the battle pass thing which hooks me way too hard and turns the entire thing into grinding out challenges for rewards.

At the very least it's super gross that, at least for a while, it was an admirable trait to call your loot game "addictive". And people still joke about never seeing their loved ones again because of FFXIV! It all rubs me the wrong way to see games explicitly engineered to be time vampires, regardless of quality.

Though I also always find myself in this weird middle zone when it comes to loot game stuff where if I like a game well enough I usually want to invest more time into it beyond a casual campaign playthrough or w/e but I am also sure as poo poo not interested in going all the way into super hardcore competitive raiding grinding for +1% upgrades to use in yet more super hardcore competitive raiding poo poo like it's my job now. Very few games seem to cater to this middle ground.

Ironically I actually got into Diablo 3's endgame stuff a fair bit because it was relatively open-ended and self-directed. It was still nakedly a power accumulation gain +1% to gain +1% style loop, but it was more appealing because it was upfront about it and didn't try to trick me into engaging with it by hiding special cosmetic items or whatever other disastrous poo poo games like to do with that stuff that always backfires.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Who What Now posted:

Same but more for armor. I want my character to look different as I get better armor. This is the thing I've always wanted to say but never really verbalized.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Back when I first booted up Diablo 2, I got so mad when I put on a new piece of armor that was statistically better but it switched to one of the worse looking generic Necromancer looks that didn't even match what I put on.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I personally don’t like or use Elder Scrolls mods that change the graphics or change the gameplay or add creepy fetish waifus and so forth. There’s a point where it’s like, if you needed to change the game this much to enjoy it why didn’t you just play a different game in the first place? I only use stuff like “This adds a few missing weapons” or “Rejigger loot oversights” or “Adds an extra bookshelf to your house” kind of stuff.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

itry posted:

It could be that, in the case of Destiny, the point is player retention. The longer somebody plays the game the likelier they are to spend some money on microtransactions. And after that it's something like over 70% chance that they'll spend again, iirc some article I read about GaaS.

I am aware of the financial incentive for companies to do this stuff. It just weirds me out how much gamers jump on that poo poo. Like you can release DLC for a game that just adds +10 levels and nothing else. Gamers will crack the shits, but then buy it because otherwise they won't be the highest level.

Also transmog systems in games are just Barbie dressup systems and frankly they're one of the greatest things.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
For a game that's had really lovely lore all along for years the new JRPG League of Legends game is actually good about using what exists to world build and be interesting. You're either going to love or hate the Final Fantasy style combat but it's for sure the first time for me that their setting felt like anything more than a hastily poo poo out cartoon circa 1980s to sell virtual toys.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Which Final Fantasy we talking about?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I woke up this morning with the phrase "cooter shooter" in my head.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

syntaxfunction posted:

Also transmog systems in games are just Barbie dressup systems and frankly they're one of the greatest things.

Boo on any transmog system that's just another way to add bullshit grind though. Lotta bad MMOs attaching arbitrary value to specific dye colors because gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Here's an unpopular opinion: my favorite Monkey Island is the 3rd one. I really enjoyed the voice acting and visuals.