Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Caesar Saladin posted:

You can talk trash on Krillin but he is probably the world's most powerful regular human. its not his fault he can't keep up with the super powered alien races.

you misspelled hercule

e: hercule snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The one guy in Dragon Ball who will live in filth and spend all his time on his lone hobbies if you let him isn't Krillin

manero
Jan 30, 2006

limp_cheese posted:

Old World is a better Civ game than Civ 6 or Humankind.

Sadly it is not a better Crusader Kings game.

Old World is amazing, I can't wait for it to hit Steam and for more people to discover how great it is.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

manero posted:

Old World is amazing, I can't wait for it to hit Steam and for more people to discover how great it is.

Im playing it now for the first time and it is awesome. Has a lot of features that feel like a good evolution of the genre. Im enjoying it so far

manero
Jan 30, 2006

a creepy colon posted:

Im playing it now for the first time and it is awesome. Has a lot of features that feel like a good evolution of the genre. Im enjoying it so far

Nice. We've got a thread over here!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

she processin'

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The strongest non-mutant human is Yajirobe, you dummies. Read Dragon Ball

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Snyderman posted:

As an overall game I prefer the original Devil May Cry, even now. 3 and 5 (and Bayonetta) are a lot of fun to play but they don't have that same blend of isolation, a useful but limited toolkit, scarcity, and mistakes being punished heavily that make progression feel so good. When you beat the game you're forced into a higher difficulty automatically with whatever you had before, so it expects you to get good and makes picking up missed blue orbs riskier. I wouldn't say it's the best design decision that respects your time but it's a clear vision for how the game should go and makes each playthrough have a unique feel (normal, hard, very hard).

There's a lot of obtuse bullshit like the blue orb challenge rooms but I feel like they really hit on something in that midway point evolving Resident Evil on the way to the over the top stylish character action games.

I guess I could try Dark Souls but I'm not sure mechanically they go for quite the same thing.

DMC1 has really heavy, satisfying combat and great enemy design. I like it more than DMC3 because that game is full of frustrating enemies and they react to your attacks like a lightsaber on low battery. Your sword just seems to pass straight through them, while in DMC1 you can stunlock them until they block you, or another enemy gets close enough to attack you.

DMC4's Nero and its enemy roster are great throwbacks to what I loved about DMC1. Dante feels a bit overwhelming, and I would have preferred if each style had some passive bonus instead of just changing what the Circle button did, i.e. faster movement in Trickster, higher defense in Royal Guard and faster attacks in Swordmaster and Gunslinger.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

flavor.flv posted:

The strongest non-mutant human is Yajirobe, you dummies. Read Dragon Ball

I'm pretty sure yajirobe had more an impact on dragon ball then krillen. And that's a great thing

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Yajirobe has to massively hold back his power at all times lest he obliterate everyone in his presence.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Snyderman posted:

As an overall game I prefer the original Devil May Cry, even now. 3 and 5 (and Bayonetta) are a lot of fun to play but they don't have that same blend of isolation, a useful but limited toolkit, scarcity, and mistakes being punished heavily that make progression feel so good. When you beat the game you're forced into a higher difficulty automatically with whatever you had before, so it expects you to get good and makes picking up missed blue orbs riskier. I wouldn't say it's the best design decision that respects your time but it's a clear vision for how the game should go and makes each playthrough have a unique feel (normal, hard, very hard).

There's a lot of obtuse bullshit like the blue orb challenge rooms but I feel like they really hit on something in that midway point evolving Resident Evil on the way to the over the top stylish character action games.

I guess I could try Dark Souls but I'm not sure mechanically they go for quite the same thing.

FWIW, in the past I have made direct comparisons between the DMC1 vs. 3+ dichotomy and earlier Souls games vs. the later ones. I totally know the vibe you're talking about and the stuff I bolded is 100% in Dark Souls' wheelhouse.

Obviously they're still very different games, but they definitely share some DNA (or at least parallel evolution or some poo poo idk) if you dig deep enough.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

X JAKK posted:

Yajirobe has to massively hold back his power at all times lest he obliterate everyone in his presence.

Yajirobe is obsessed with food and so is Beerus, Lord of Destruction, and the strongest beings in the universe Goku and Vegeta. Coincidence? I think not...

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

limp_cheese posted:

Yajirobe is obsessed with food and so is Beerus, Lord of Destruction, and the strongest beings in the universe Goku and Vegeta. Coincidence? I think not...

don't forget Buu. dragonball has a clear message, eat up

edit: also Cell :twisted:

Snyderman
Feb 23, 2005
I'm glad people get what I mean because sometimes you want an iced tea, sometimes you want a lemonade and sometimes you want an Arnold Palmer.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I want a game that lets me just build and expand and upgrade a ship to explore the game. But it's gotta be stupidly simple. Kinda like a cross between Kerbal Space Program, the Gummi Ship minigame, and Rogue Galaxy or even better Star Sector.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Star Saga One is a bit like that

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

I want a game that lets me just build and expand and upgrade a ship to explore the game. But it's gotta be stupidly simple. Kinda like a cross between Kerbal Space Program, the Gummi Ship minigame, and Rogue Galaxy or even better Star Sector.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6FRqaKciaA

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Snyderman posted:

I'm glad people get what I mean because sometimes you want an iced tea, sometimes you want a lemonade and sometimes you want an Arnold Palmer.

Sometimes you want to grease up the glass and call it a Balmy Palmy

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Who What Now posted:

There's this really old game called stratosphere where they had you building uh floating inverted rockbergs, and the building was really simple. You'd just plop down components (thrusters, power, guns, etc.) into this hex grid, and away you went killing other flying fortresses for their resources.

I don't think it's anything like all those games though...

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Escape Velocity Nova.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Duck and Cover posted:

Escape Velocity Nova.

poo poo, I can't find it in my library, but there was a very similarly inspired game released only a few years ago. I'd describe it but they all sound mechanically similar, which is frustrating. Involves time travel?!

For a similar oldy game that's simple good fun, Starscape is probably very dated but I recall it being excellent fun in the same vibe. No annoying downtime/grinding, just balancing a ship's power systems and blowing stuff up.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/20700/Starscape/

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Duck and Cover posted:

Escape Velocity Nova.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
what the deal with halo games? the multiplayer is the most babys first online shooter I've ever played - every teamfight is just you holding a reticule over the brightly lit enemy soldier for 10 seconds until someone dies, the campaigns seem to be loose collections of vaguely connected levels in the same way Doom or Quake is and not actual well crafted, realistic feeling environments like Half life.

It doesn't have the tactical depth of a Rainbow Six, it's not frantic like Doom Eternal, it's not even lying to the player about some deep meta-universe that rewards grinding like a Destiny. It's not got cool big robots like Titanfall 2 or bright attractive colours like Apex Legends or a real retro aesthetic like DUSK. None of their characters are sexually desirable like an Overwatch.

I assume there are hardcore competitive Halo players out there who love competitive first person shooters but really hate Mice and Keyboards or they'd be playing counterstrike.

I'm not trying to rag on Halo, my dad brought an original Xbox into the house because he wanted to play Halo, i have a fond sort of nostalgia for it but its the most jack of all trades shooters I've ever seen

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

*yawn*

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Halo was good because other shooters weren’t as well-made. This doesn’t mean Halo is good, necessarily, but other shooters were worse. At the time Call of Duty didn’t have levels and perks and knifes and all that poo poo, it was M1 Garands and smoke grenades and a bunch of idiots prone behind a dead cow on a farm in France.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

None of their characters are sexually desirable like an Overwatch.

I have some bad news about the evolution of Cortana....

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

JollyBoyJohn posted:

what the deal with halo games? the multiplayer is the most babys first online shooter I've ever played - every teamfight is just you holding a reticule over the brightly lit enemy soldier for 10 seconds until someone dies, the campaigns seem to be loose collections of vaguely connected levels in the same way Doom or Quake is and not actual well crafted, realistic feeling environments like Half life.

It doesn't have the tactical depth of a Rainbow Six, it's not frantic like Doom Eternal, it's not even lying to the player about some deep meta-universe that rewards grinding like a Destiny. It's not got cool big robots like Titanfall 2 or bright attractive colours like Apex Legends or a real retro aesthetic like DUSK. None of their characters are sexually desirable like an Overwatch.

I assume there are hardcore competitive Halo players out there who love competitive first person shooters but really hate Mice and Keyboards or they'd be playing counterstrike.

I'm not trying to rag on Halo, my dad brought an original Xbox into the house because he wanted to play Halo, i have a fond sort of nostalgia for it but its the most jack of all trades shooters I've ever seen

I loved the original Halo back in the day, mostly because of the cool enemy and weapon design. Covenant elites were extremely fun to fight. Also it was one of the first shooters that let you drive jeeps and tanks and poo poo. The graphics were bad even for it's time though ( on PC at least, supposedly it looked better on Xbox) and the second half had some boring-rear end levels.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

limp_cheese posted:

I have some bad news about the evolution of Cortana....

She looks normal again in the new one.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I wish Xenogears could get remade, keep the same aesthetic but fix the second disc budget issues.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

kntfkr posted:

I wish Xenogears could get remade, keep the same aesthetic but fix the second disc budget issues.

they made xenosaga what more do you want. honestly that was too much xeno

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
xenosaga was not good

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

kntfkr posted:

xenosaga was not good

The bad guy was literally an insane child molesting angel android god where they played an offshoot of the theme from The Omen as he wallows around on a pile of dead little anime girl robots. Gotta respect that.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
this is true. I have an art of xenosaga book for some reason. maybe it's just the era - loved ps1 stuff so much and things that happened on PS2 were always a huge disappointment in comparison. xenosaga vs xenogears, ffx & Derek of Cerberus vs FF7,8,9 - Suikoden 3 & whatever vs 1 & 2

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

kntfkr posted:

this is true. I have an art of xenosaga book for some reason. maybe it's just the era - loved ps1 stuff so much and things that happened on PS2 were always a huge disappointment in comparison. xenosaga vs xenogears, ffx & Derek of Cerberus vs FF7,8,9 - Suikoden 3 & whatever vs 1 & 2

Did you play Suikoden V? Complete return to form, feels like a true follow up to Suikoden II in the ways that the earlier PS2 ones weren't.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

halo was good when you could steal a banshee when you were not supposed to, and not break the level, though they forced you to dump it both times

it was pretty bad how it straight up reused maps for the latter half of the campaign though

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Thanks for the suggestions, friends!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

What are your most unpopular positive gaming opinions? Games you love that are generally disliked, gameplay things you like that other people don't, things like that.

I think mine at least used to be "Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter loving rules" but I feel like I see more people praising that game than hating on it lately so that might not be so unpopular anymore. Maybe my other one is "Chrono Cross is almost as good as Chrono Trigger, which means it's great"

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Harrow posted:

What are your most unpopular positive gaming opinions? Games you love that are generally disliked, gameplay things you like that other people don't, things like that.

I love dota 2

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

jokes posted:

Halo was good because other shooters weren’t as well-made. This doesn’t mean Halo is good, necessarily, but other shooters were worse. At the time Call of Duty didn’t have levels and perks and knifes and all that poo poo, it was M1 Garands and smoke grenades and a bunch of idiots prone behind a dead cow on a farm in France.

Also Halo actually has enemy variety with different types of alien soldiers and their own distinct weapons, tactics, roles and vehicles. And the two-weapon limit actually worked in play because different weapons were good for different things, and you had to decide which would work for the next segment. Multiplayer I dunno as much about.

Weirdly enough it seems like the entire industry chose to take away the opposite lessons on almost absolutely everything from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

3d sonic games are better than 2d sonic games