Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

Which Final Fantasy we talking about?

The earlier ones before 12. They add sub menus and mechanics that revolve around the actual LoL game like lanes and ultimates, etc. but at it's base it's turn-based Final Fantasy combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

Boo on any transmog system that's just another way to add bullshit grind though. Lotta bad MMOs attaching arbitrary value to specific dye colors because gently caress you.

Agreed. Also abolish dyes/shaders/colour sets entirely. Have a specified number of colours you can change and give us a loving colour wheel. Let us make our own colour combos drat it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Games should have armour sets which are just how they appear with no inherent mechanical bonus, and armour mods that can mix and match into any set and confer the bonus. Bing bong so simple.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Breetai posted:

Games should have armour sets which are just how they appear with no inherent mechanical bonus, and armour mods that can mix and match into any set and confer the bonus. Bing bong so simple.

Unless I'm not getting something here it sounds like you're just describing what some games call an "outfit" system. The armor has all the stats/abilities/whatever, the outfit has nothing but overrides the visuals of the armor.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Harrow posted:

What are your most unpopular positive gaming opinions? Games you love that are generally disliked, gameplay things you like that other people don't, things like that.

I think mine at least used to be "Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter loving rules" but I feel like I see more people praising that game than hating on it lately so that might not be so unpopular anymore. Maybe my other one is "Chrono Cross is almost as good as Chrono Trigger, which means it's great"

Invisible Inc, Stellaris, Frostpunk, Subnautica, and Hollow Knight are the best games in their respective genres

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

Invisible Inc, Stellaris, Frostpunk, Subnautica, and Hollow Knight are the best games in their respective genres

Do you consider Frostpunk and Rimworld to be the same genre? Because man I love me some Rimworld.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

QuarkJets posted:

Stellaris now isn’t even the best game named Stellaris. Almost every mechanical change since release has been for the worse. And Distant Worlds is better than any revision of it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

nvidiagouge posted:

Do you consider Frostpunk and Rimworld to be the same genre? Because man I love me some Rimworld.

I adore RimWorld but bounced straight off Frostpunk.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

I adore RimWorld but bounced straight off Frostpunk.

Same here that's why I asked.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

QuarkJets posted:

Hollow Knight is overrated. Yes it is indeed very good and I enjoyed myself, but it's lacking environmental variety, and suffers from "Add Dark Souls elements despite them not really working well with the game design" disease just like Blasphemous. And it commits the cardinal sin of a Metroidvania with that godawful Map system. People are overly forgiving of its flaws because of it's 10/10 presentation.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Harrow posted:

What are your most unpopular positive gaming opinions? Games you love that are generally disliked, gameplay things you like that other people don't, things like that.

I actually like the design and UI jank from small devs doing their best but not quite making their highly ambitious ideas come to life.

Examples:
Kenshi, Empyrion galactic survival, my summer car, etc.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Positive; enter the gungeon is the perfect indie video game and easily the best roguelike

Looter chat; I think games built around an ever increasing player power are good as long as they lean into the player being strong anyway and ascending slowly to godhood through gear. Borderlands is arguably the best example of this, where you finish the game and can probably straight clear post-endgame content with a bit of work, but then you get some gear upgrades and you just demolish everything like some sort of horrible demon

Games like PoE, and I like PoE for the record, drop you into the endgame as a little piece of garbage baby who is just totally outmatched by everything and you need to grind out a ton of hours before you get to a reasonable level of power, then to ascend to being actually powerful is another several weeks of grinding if you're lucky.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

nvidiagouge posted:

I think Rimworld would win that fight but I don't think that they're the same genre

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

abigserve posted:

Positive; enter the gungeon is the perfect indie video game and easily the best roguelike

Looter chat; I think games built around an ever increasing player power are good as long as they lean into the player being strong anyway and ascending slowly to godhood through gear. Borderlands is arguably the best example of this, where you finish the game and can probably straight clear post-endgame content with a bit of work, but then you get some gear upgrades and you just demolish everything like some sort of horrible demon

Games like PoE, and I like PoE for the record, drop you into the endgame as a little piece of garbage baby who is just totally outmatched by everything and you need to grind out a ton of hours before you get to a reasonable level of power, then to ascend to being actually powerful is another several weeks of grinding if you're lucky.

I find this to be very dependent on the build. Arc witch in PoE is STILL after several nerfs and expansions the thing you describe liking. It has it's bumps here and there but you're clearing whole screens of trash fairly early on and it only gets crazier as you go further.

My absolute favorite type of loot is in the CRPGs, though. Finding a good weapon or item that really compliments a character's build, has meaningful gameplay impacts, and a fun lore blurb/appearance to boot is really that perfect feeling of loot heaven for me.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love PoE but sadly the optimal way of playing it is not looting jack poo poo because every rare item is trash and the faster you can zoom and only collect currency the faster you can buy for 1 chaos some rare that is infinitely better than what you're likely to drop in a week.

It's not even a case of "but you don't have to play optimal just have fun!11" it's just such a terrible experience to manually loot things yourself that it's not even a particularly fun loot simulator.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

nvidiagouge posted:

I find this to be very dependent on the build. Arc witch in PoE is STILL after several nerfs and expansions the thing you describe liking. It has it's bumps here and there but you're clearing whole screens of trash fairly early on and it only gets crazier as you go further.

This is another big problem PoE in particular has as well where the game presents you with one of the deepest and most meaningful build systems ever implemented but then balances the game around the top 1% most broken builds in the game so everyone is playing Arc witch or a flickerstrike/aura build or whatever and if you don't do that you're playing on literal hard mode

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

I know The Simpsons: Hit & Run is the more beloved open world The Simpsons game, but The Simpsons Game (2007) has a better and more fleshed out interpretation of Springfield as a town in every way. Similar to the difference between Liberty City in GTA3 and GTA4. That said I don't want a remake of either, I just want the GTA5 of The Simpsons open world games.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

abigserve posted:

This is another big problem PoE in particular has as well where the game presents you with one of the deepest and most meaningful build systems ever implemented but then balances the game around the top 1% most broken builds in the game so everyone is playing Arc witch or a flickerstrike/aura build or whatever and if you don't do that you're playing on literal hard mode

My general experience is that a decent portion of builds can do end-game fairly effectively but also like you say, there's that top 1 or 2 percent of builds that are just goddamn crazy. I personally don't like high-end PoE gameplay because of how dependent on poking flask buttons a lot of builds are. I don't mind healing here and there but a lot of PoEs end game revolves around cycling cooldowns on multiple flasks and it's not fun.

Even though the end game isn't nearly as fleshed out I enjoy combining classes and messing with builds in Grim Dawn more than grinding the endgame of any other ARPGS.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Final Fantasy 8 was best because it had an epic intro video that wasnt a dream or in media res and you could farm cards to transform into aura and invincibility potions to completely stomp the ultra omega super super boss with minimal effort.
I always forget to save before the twin minotaur fight and then also forget to switch out draw for magic which totally fucks me and I quit out of frustration.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Redezga posted:

I know The Simpsons: Hit & Run is the more beloved open world The Simpsons game, but The Simpsons Game (2007) has a better and more fleshed out interpretation of Springfield as a town in every way. Similar to the difference between Liberty City in GTA3 and GTA4. That said I don't want a remake of either, I just want the GTA5 of The Simpsons open world games.
Wandering around all of Springfield with that hauntingly relaxing music, beating the crap out of anyone who annoyed you until they run away screaming, beating God in Dance Dance Revolution, good times.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Spelunky is the best roguelike by a huuuuge margin. Everything about its design is so thought out and clever.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Spelunky is really good and im pretty sure you can get it for like a dollar.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

kntfkr posted:

I woke up this morning with the phrase "cooter shooter" in my head.

i think there are enough games at this point for this to be a genre
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PElvbns1sA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGXCOzQka00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY0HC6f3jz8

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Elentor posted:

I love PoE but sadly the optimal way of playing it is not looting jack poo poo because every rare item is trash and the faster you can zoom and only collect currency the faster you can buy for 1 chaos some rare that is infinitely better than what you're likely to drop in a week.

It's not even a case of "but you don't have to play optimal just have fun!11" it's just such a terrible experience to manually loot things yourself that it's not even a particularly fun loot simulator.

the optimal way to play PoE is to make a fool of yourself and document it with screens shots so you can make entertaining posts

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

chglcu posted:

Stellaris now isn’t even the best game named Stellaris. Almost every mechanical change since release has been for the worse. And Distant Worlds is better than any revision of it.

finally i found someone who agrees that Stellaris was better with three types of warp drive. you hosed up Paradox

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Rutibex posted:

finally i found someone who agrees that Stellaris was better with three types of warp drive. you hosed up Paradox

I think everyone agrees with this.

I can't wait for Distant Worlds 2 and I hope it's good

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

abigserve posted:

I wouldn't describe PoE's build system as the deepest ever.
There's a lot of interesting stuff you can do with passives and gear stats, but in the end there's the restriction that to be a "good build" and compete with other good builds it has to basically delete everything in 0.5 seconds. What this means is means there's no room for actual synergy between different active skills because no human on earth is capable of doing their cool optimal skill combo 10 times per second for each of the hundreds of monster packs in a map. So every build ends up as some flavor of "hold/tap one button" with any optional synergistic combo skills just being somehow automatically triggered, because anything that requires a human to press more than one button is already killing enemies too slowly.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I wouldn't describe PoE's build system as the deepest ever.
There's a lot of interesting stuff you can do with passives and gear stats, but in the end there's the restriction that to be a "good build" and compete with other good builds it has to basically delete everything in 0.5 seconds. What this means is means there's no room for actual synergy between different active skills because no human on earth is capable of doing their cool optimal skill combo 10 times per second for each of the hundreds of monster packs in a map. So every build ends up as some flavor of "hold/tap one button" with any optional synergistic combo skills just being somehow automatically triggered, because anything that requires a human to press more than one button is already killing enemies too slowly.

but you don't have to play a "top tier" build and farm T16 krangled double simulacrum maps. you can play a lovely build and reach mid tier maps and have a good time of it. the top end of the gameplay isn't really any different than the bottom end, the only difference is the number of exalted orbs the drop.

its all just smash TV no matter what tier of maps you do :shrug:

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

Rutibex posted:

For realsies.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Path of Exiles isn't actually as complicated as it pretends to be it's just terrible at communication. The passive tree is only complicated if you don't realize you absolutely must have like at least 180% life. They don't tell you. It takes experience to know if an item is usable/worth selling and they present it as a wall of same colored text which makes figuring it out at a glance difficult. Even if you have the experience you don't pick up garbage because the chance of treasure is incredibly low. Different definitions of the word "nearby". https://www.poewiki.net/wiki/Distance If you hadn't realized you really really want to max resists, they teach you by having you die a bunch. No you won't get sweet resist gear to help you, the game just difficulty spikes hope you've been paying attention to resist gear.

I want to like Path of Exile but they clearly do not want to be a modern video game that respects the players time.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 24, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Duck and Cover posted:

I want to like Path of Exile but they clearly do not want to be a modern video game that respects the players time.

they know how many hours the people who buy cosmetic micro-transactions like to put into the game, and they balance it appropriately

i would pay a very large sum of money for an offline Path of Exile where i can adjust the loot table manually

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Duck and Cover posted:

Path of Exiles isn't actually as complicated as it pretends to be it's just terrible at communication. The passive tree is only complicated if you don't realize you absolutely must have like 180% life. They don't tell you. It takes experience to know if an item is usable/worth selling and they present it as a wall of same colored text which makes figuring it out at a glance difficult. Even if you have the experience you don't pick up garbage because the chance of treasure is incredibly low. Different definitions of the word "nearby". https://www.poewiki.net/wiki/Distance If you hadn't realized you really really want to max resists, they teach you by having you die a bunch. No you won't get sweet resist gear to help you, the game just difficulty spikes hope you've been paying attention to resist gear.

Also if you want to make a cool new build when you're already in endgame mapping you need to roll a new character and run through the story over 5-12 hours depending on how fast/efficient you are. About half of those hours will be spent basically using one of the basic attack spells with no links and none of your build mechanics.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I leveled from 1 to some high level using nothing but reflect/thorns from Hailrake to the endgame bosses in PoE.

Please do not be me.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I like how one of the first quest rewards gives the players a choice but there's only one good option (quicksilver flask). Such a gently caress you to newer players.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 24, 2021

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Duck and Cover posted:

I like how one of the first quest rewards gives the players a choice but everything but there's only one good option (quicksilver flask). Such a gently caress you to newer players.

That plus the already acknowledged issue (which I'm so glad they did because I've been bitching about this one for ages) that the gap between "good skills" and "bad skills" in act 1 rewards is huge.

an Act 1 speedrunning setup >>>> just using good skills >>>>>>>>>>>>>> "you chose poorly"

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Elentor posted:

That plus the already acknowledged issue (which I'm so glad they did because I've been bitching about this one for ages) that the gap between "good skills" and "bad skills" in act 1 rewards is huge.

an Act 1 speedrunning setup >>>> just using good skills >>>>>>>>>>>>>> "you chose poorly"

they started to reblanaced the game to be extra challenging and started with act 1. fighting the act 1 boss is now 5000% harder than any end game atlas conquer lol

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rutibex posted:

they started to reblanaced the game to be extra challenging and started with act 1. fighting the act 1 boss is now 5000% harder than any end game atlas conquer lol

Yeah, I know. I have criticized that to no one end. It's one of the stupidest possible decisions I've ever seen.

Act 1 in Gauntlet is now the hardest part of the game, by a lot, with the exception of fighting Doedre (any of them). And while "well but Gauntlet is not representative of the game's balance!11" that would be fine if it GGG didn't historically balance/heavily nerf classes based on their Gauntlet performance.

So now Act 1 is just the worst possible thing about the game, for an act that can be speedran so fast, they surely packed an incredibly amount of bad design choices in 15-40 minutes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Redezga posted:

I kind of like it when creator directors of popular series openly lash out at the series/fanbase by deliberately writing an ending that not only gets them out of making more sequels, but attempts to salt the earth to prevent reboots. Even if it's a series I like I can't helping feeling something along the lines of "good for them".

It's really funny when they do this entirely by accident like the star wars sequels or game of thrones

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Nov 24, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

flavor.flv posted:

That would make sense, considering Morrowind starts on a prison transport, then Oblivion starts in your cell, and then Skyrim starts with your execution.

TES VI logically should start with you in your grave

Fallout New Vegas is the true TES VI then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Elentor posted:

Yeah, I know. I have criticized that to no one end. It's one of the stupidest possible decisions I've ever seen.

Act 1 in Gauntlet is now the hardest part of the game, by a lot, with the exception of fighting Doedre (any of them). And while "well but Gauntlet is not representative of the game's balance!11" that would be fine if it GGG didn't historically balance/heavily nerf classes based on their Gauntlet performance.

So now Act 1 is just the worst possible thing about the game, for an act that can be speedran so fast, they surely packed an incredibly amount of bad design choices in 15-40 minutes.

Stunlock rhoas. I think that and the great nerf was finally what made me give up hope on the idea that GGG will ever make Path of Exile a good game. I can't even be bothered to get through the story anymore.