Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

Rah! posted:

we're also depleting the aquifers and slowly salting the earth via irrigation

we will destroy all that land somehow, don't worry

:911:
thank God :911:

https://twitter.com/MatthewCappucci/status/1463266392753553415

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
they are just loving rivers

first canada surrenders territory to one and now they have air superiority?

get your poo poo together humanity

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

extremely good from the standpoint of water

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

petit choux posted:

Is this :thejoke:?

Ten+ years ago I was feeling masochistic so I tried reading a Crichton novel called State of Fear, not realizing it was largely somebody's anti-climate change screed. Their argument was all that the ice isn't melting at the south pole so global warming was fake, a Democratic attempt at a bloodless coup using environmental fears. I think that was Ann Coulter's main line of attack too, just ignore the north pole and claim that the fact that there's still ice at the south pole trumps the temperature rising in the north so it can be totally discredited.

That's also the novel where Crichton wrote one of his critics(?) in as a pedophile, iirc.

Day 1 of the Trump administration though they had a satellite to reinforce a small (3 maybe?) network that monitored Antarctic ice. Cost NASA 3 billion or whatever to make, ready to launch. Someone noped that one right off because what we can't see won't hurt us.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Paradoxish posted:

extremely good from the standpoint of water

sure we're killing the polar bears, but have you stopped to think how much happier the whales and dolphins will be??

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

actionjackson posted:

Is drought ever going to hit western Washington?

western Washington has two seasons. a wet season, and drought. so yes. every year.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rime posted:

Lol'in that the messaging on various social media from people who aren't Totally insane is already "This is just the common Pinapple Express renamed to be politically correct for so-called "climate change", nothing we haven't dealt with before."

The cope will continue until the heat death of the universe. :munch:

Is that cope or is that denial.

petit choux posted:

Ten+ years ago I was feeling masochistic so I tried reading a Crichton novel called State of Fear, not realizing it was largely somebody's anti-climate change screed. Their argument was all that the ice isn't melting at the south pole so global warming was fake, a Democratic attempt at a bloodless coup using environmental fears. I think that was Ann Coulter's main line of attack too, just ignore the north pole and claim that the fact that there's still ice at the south pole trumps the temperature rising in the north so it can be totally discredited.

Crichton was a gigantic piece of poo poo and I'm glad he's dead

Milo and POTUS has issued a correction as of 00:38 on Nov 24, 2021

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

did not know what atmospheric rivers were until 2021, cool to know that they may destroy where I live and kill me

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Milo and POTUS posted:

Crichton was a gigantic piece of poo poo and I'm glad he's dead

he’s dead? either I forgot or didn’t know. thanks for cheering me up a bit :unsmith:

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

gay_crimes posted:

did not know what atmospheric rivers were until 2021, cool to know that they may destroy where I live and kill me

i get this is the black pilled climate thread, but extreme rain events are not what is going to kill you from gcc. in fact, if you live in the americas there is a good chance you'll live to old age (or not die from gcc fallout) or whatever 5g per day of plastic consumption age that is.

generally it's cool to be like, wow poo poo's gonna suck so much 30 years from now, but I mean realistically you'll be fine. it's gonna suck a lot for developing countries in africa, central asia, the mid east and the developed countries that border them.

basically really really poor people are going to die, not you

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Tabletops posted:

i get this is the black pilled climate thread, but extreme rain events are not what is going to kill you from gcc. in fact, if you live in the americas there is a good chance you'll live to old age (or not die from gcc fallout) or whatever 5g per day of plastic consumption age that is.

generally it's cool to be like, wow poo poo's gonna suck so much 30 years from now, but I mean realistically you'll be fine. it's gonna suck a lot for developing countries in africa, central asia, the mid east and the developed countries that border them.

basically really really poor people are going to die, not you

lol dude what do you think all those really really poor people are gonna do, just peacefully die at home?

do you think food scarcity will never hit home? do you think the global economy of goods is just gonna keep truckin after infrastructure gets obliterated after the sixth straight atmospheric river event in a year?

realistically i will not be fine, in fact it is going to suck a lot for me. admittedly after it sucks a lot for less fortunate people, but i will not live a happy full life when 40% of india runs out of groundwater at the end of this decade.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

B B posted:

I just learned about atmospheric rivers last night while reading The Ministry for the Future. I'm only about halfway through but would recommend it to anyone interested in a cli-fi novel.

It's been mentioned a few times in the thread. A good read if only to rage about.

The author recently did a pretty good interview where he gives a shout out to Andreas Malm.

https://traffic.megaphone.fm/CAD8042620353.mp3

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

lol dude what do you think all those really really poor people are gonna do, just peacefully die at home?

do you think food scarcity will never hit home? do you think the global economy of goods is just gonna keep truckin after infrastructure gets obliterated after the sixth straight atmospheric river event in a year?

realistically i will not be fine, in fact it is going to suck a lot for me. admittedly after it sucks a lot for less fortunate people, but i will not live a happy full life when 40% of india runs out of groundwater at the end of this decade.

that's why i said the americas. South and central america is well situated for climate change in terms of food scarcity, arable land loss etc. Ithe developing world bordering developed countries in africa, asia and the middle east. europe, china and parts of india (and maybe russia) will bear the brunt of the climate related human catastrophe.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Tabletops posted:

that's why i said the americas. South and central america is well situated for climate change in terms of food scarcity, arable land loss etc. Ithe developing world bordering developed countries in africa, asia and the middle east. europe, china and parts of india (and maybe russia) will bear the brunt of the climate related human catastrophe.

there are literally Americans who are climate refugees right now, in the US

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Just bought a twelve-pack or something of Glide Advanced floss from Costco, thanks for letting me know I bought all this poison. Oh well! Someone said that Glide breaks easily for them but my teeth are like paper shredders for floss and it's the only brand I've tried that could withstand them. They've been considerably more effective at aggravating my gums to the point that my dentist told me the pockets have been receding. Beautiful teeth. Best teeth they've ever seen, they said.

Marenghi posted:

oh awesome!, i don't have to worry about the end of the world now.

I'm going buy 3 rice cookers and a couple dozen plastic leftover containers to cook a months worth of rice with microplastics to celebrate.

Go ahead it won't make any difference

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
why don't they just build the entire airplane out of these climate change resistant environments

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah after whole towns went up in smoke in CA and OR a lot of people became unhoused very abruptly

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Marenghi posted:

Why does a dry state have so much agriculture that relies so heavily on water.

It's only dry because we dammed all the rivers leading into the central valley, most of the region was shallow lakes and marshlands before the gold rush brought horses of white settlers. Centuries of runoff have collected and created some of the riche was t soil on earth

Mayor Dave has issued a correction as of 01:59 on Nov 24, 2021

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Rectal Death Adept posted:

why don't they just build the entire airplane out of these climate change resistant environments

Makin' the whole world out of black box?

That's a pingin'.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Yeah after whole towns went up in smoke in CA and OR a lot of people became unhoused very abruptly

There are people still displaced from Sandy almost nine years later. The media tends to be very quiet on these long-term outcomes because it reveals that just being a middle-class homeowner in the US doesn't actually protect you anymore, even if you pay your insurance and do everything right.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
ugh just gave myself a panic attack. that sucked. :sweatdrop:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

But they didn't die!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Radirot posted:

ugh just gave myself a panic attack. that sucked. :sweatdrop:

they've been running that carbon capture storage facility in iceland for a while now, don't worry, here to help friend

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Paradoxish posted:

it’s not nearly on the scale that the rest of the world will face

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

gonna lol when we hit the point ice loss records can't be broken any more because there isn't enough ice left
we already did for some parts of the ocean.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

doesn’t feel great that the comparison of distant and very different decades contrasted with now are… the 1990s.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Tabletops posted:

lol dude central america has already been getting hosed by drought for years. north america had crops get hammered this year, like the canadian pulse harvest had a >40% drop after the heat domes. but if you wanna celebrate being turbofucked instead of gigafucked uh okay go ahead

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm sure wet bulb temperatures won't be a problem in Central America

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm sure wet bulb temperatures won't be a problem in Central America

Well a lot less now that we've got rid of that inconvenient jungle.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

how is wet bulb a problem just dry the bulb with individually wrapped napkins

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

petit choux posted:

Jurassic Park is my favourite movie of all time so I've read quite a lot of Crichton and State of Fear is entertaining, if politically gross. It does have a Bradley Whitford-type pastiche who gets eaten, which, I think we can all enjoy

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

That's also the novel where Crichton wrote one of his critics(?) in as a pedophile, iirc.

That's NeXT and frankly it's a pretty Dudes Rock thing to do

Mameluke has issued a correction as of 04:20 on Nov 24, 2021

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

I remember a Crichton book that ended with a monologue about how cave men had more free time than we do. Based and Tedpilled

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Mameluke posted:

Jurassic Park is my favourite movie of all time so I've read quite a lot of Crichton and State of Fear is entertaining, if politically gross. It does have a Bradley Whitford-type pastiche who gets eaten, which, I think we can all enjoy

I've read every book Crichton wrote himself, State of Fear is a good thriller but it has a multi-page speech complete with graphs about how climate change is an illusion caused by measurement error. The climate conspiracy murders people by carrying around a blue-ringed octopus in a little baggie of seawater.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

quote:

When Sheldon and his colleagues organized their plankton samples by orders of magnitude, they found that each size bracket contained exactly the same mass of creatures. In a bucket of seawater, one third of the mass of plankton would be between 1 and 10 micrometers, another third would be between 10 and 100 micrometers, and the final third would be between 100 micrometers and 1 millimeter. Each time they would move up a size group, the number of individuals in that group dropped by a factor of 10. The total mass stayed the same, while the size of the populations changed.

But now humans seem to have broken this fundamental law of the ocean. In a November paper for the journal Science Advances, Galbraith and his colleagues show that the Sheldon spectrum no longer holds true for larger marine creatures. Thanks to industrial fishing, the total ocean biomass of larger fish and marine mammals is much lower than it should be if the Sheldon spectrum was still in effect. “There was this pattern that all life seems to have been following for reasons that we don’t understand,” says Galbraith. “We have changed that over the last 100 years or even less.”

“The world that I grew up in is gone,” says Kristin Kaschner, a marine ecologist at the University of Freiburg in Germany. Between 1890 and 2001, the population of all whale species declined from more than 2.5 million to under 880,000. While the population of some whale species has rebounded since the global whaling moratorium in 1986, many are still endangered. And while the majority of fish stocks are fished in a way that allows them to maintain or grow their populations, just over 34 percent of them are overexploited, which means we’re removing so many fish from a certain area that their populations cannot recover.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Tabletops posted:

Central America is already struggling irt farming and its driving migration.

Paraguay is hosed.

Venezuela, the Guyanas, and a good chunk of Colombia are on track to become seasonally uninhabitable by mid-century due to hyperthermia.

A tenth of the US already lives like they were in a lovely undeveloped country with no social safety net and things are only getting worse - deadly worse - for them and anyone who isn't already independently wealthy.

But if you're currently in the top 20% comfortably middle class and don't get hosed by stochastic events then sure, you will likely make it to your old age only feeling largely normalized economic anxiety.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
https://belushispeedball.bandcamp.com/track/captain-planet-cant-stop-us

captain planet can't stop us

lol

lmao

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

gay_crimes posted:

don't google Gamma-ray Bursts

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
did you forget they just built the largest carbon capture factory in Iceland

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

wynott dunn posted:

did you forget they just built the largest carbon capture factory in Iceland

where do they put the captured carbon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

500 good dogs posted: