Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Convex posted:

I never really tried Planet Strike, but I remember playing the shareware episode of Aliens of Gold over and over. I enjoyed the weird things like interactive vending machines and non-hostile scientists you could talk to and it had some catchy MIDI tunes but kept getting lost over and over.

For sure. After spending a ton of time with Wolf 3D, Doom, ROTT, etc. I was weirdly enamored with the idea of "friendly" NPCs in my FPS.

I'm sure Strife would have blown my mind if I was aware of its existence before ~2010.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Finally getting to try Prodeus thanks to my new computer through Xbox Game Pass and yeah that's some good stuff

Hello me from three weeks ago, it is good to do this

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

For sure. After spending a ton of time with Wolf 3D, Doom, ROTT, etc. I was weirdly enamored with the idea of "friendly" NPCs in my FPS.

I'm sure Strife would have blown my mind if I was aware of its existence before ~2010.

I only found out about Strife like a year or two ago. It’s a really cool game.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Finally, we found the person who liked the squad/co-op fad of the mid-late 2000s

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Full spectrum warrior was kinda cool

E: okay tbh I only played the demo, but it seemed cool

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

haveblue posted:

Finally, we found the person who liked the squad/co-op fad of the mid-late 2000s

don't you say poo poo about bad company

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

haveblue posted:

If you mean that brief period where basically every shooter seemed to include a Horde mode than yeah I was a fan of those too, though weird thing was that the best results were often in 3rd Person Shooters(like Gears of War 2 or Mass Effect 3) rather than FPS's

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Quake 1 mod Alkaline has updated to v1.1, adding more of, well, everything, with four new maps leading the charge.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

drrockso20 posted:

If you mean that brief period where basically every shooter seemed to include a Horde mode than yeah I was a fan of those too, though weird thing was that the best results were often in 3rd Person Shooters(like Gears of War 2 or Mass Effect 3) rather than FPS's

I meant more the brief period where a lot of shooters were designed around 2 protagonists being present at all times. If you didn't have a co-op partner they'd be controlled by AI but you could never get rid of them.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Counterpoint: Army of Two was HYSTERICAL

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

So is Prodeus actually fully released or is it still in EA? If so, what's the ETA on leaving?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

I played all three Army of Two games co-op and they were so much fun. Not so great solo but with a buddy they were stupid fun.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Grimthwacker posted:

So is Prodeus actually fully released or is it still in EA? If so, what's the ETA on leaving?

At least on Game Pass its still listed as being a "Game Preview", no idea what still needs developing though as it seems pretty content complete at this point

Barudak
May 7, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

At least on Game Pass its still listed as being a "Game Preview", no idea what still needs developing though as it seems pretty content complete at this point

Its missing like half the suggested weapon roster

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Narcissus1916 posted:

EXTINCT

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Who would have ever imagined that Halo would be the only arena FPS to survive & thrive...I'm enjoying Infinite a lot, despite disliking what I've played of other Halo multiplayers, but in the back of my mind I can't help but think, "it should have been UT."

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Guillermus posted:

I played all three Army of Two games co-op and they were so much fun. Not so great solo but with a buddy they were stupid fun.

Yeah, they actually had really fun gameplay and a cool gun customization system.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I don’t really consider Halo an arena fps but Infinite is pretty good. It makes me laugh how you barely go any faster when running. I almost feel like they only put that in for the psychological effect of going faster.:lol:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Turns out it’s a lot easier to punch Kell Dragons to death with mouselook.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don’t really consider Halo an arena fps but Infinite is pretty good.
Infinite has certainly embraced a few more Arena FPS things, specifically the countdown timers for equipment and power-weapon spawns riffing on some Quake games' respawn timers for powerups. It's good, emphasises map control.

Also, you can kinda-sorta rocket jump with the Repulsor!

SeANMcBAY posted:

It makes me laugh how you barely go any faster when running. I almost feel like they only put that in for the psychological effect of going faster.:lol:
My understanding is that sprinting is extremely contentious among that community, so the way it's implemented seems to be a compromise to make both sides happy.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
Halo has always had weapon pickups and powerups on timers is whether or not it's an arena FPS depends on if your definition requires fast movement mechanics like bunny hopping and a focus on 1v1 I guess.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Squeezy Farm posted:

Halo has always had weapon pickups and powerups on timers is whether or not it's an arena FPS depends on if your definition requires fast movement mechanics like bunny hopping and a focus on 1v1 I guess.

They've made the timers visible now, which is the big change. Its nice.

Honestly Halo 6 multiplayer feels like someone time-tunneled to 2005 and forked us back onto a better timeline for multiplayer shooting.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Halo certainly was an odd duck in how attempting to rocket jump fairly consistently results in your death - not even from fall damage, you just straight up die immediately. Grenade jumping might be more feasible but I recall having about as much luck.

I mean, that outcome is certainly a more realistic "well what did you expect would happen" one, and it's silly that the realistic outcome is the odd one out, but, video games.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
IIRC you can rocket/grenade jump with an overshield but it will consume most or all of it, meaning that a point blank explosion does about 200% of Chief's normal durability. Come to think of it, this is another thing it inherited from Marathon.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Squeezy Farm posted:

I don't remember Halo 1 having the rocket launcher or sniper be a timed super weapon, am I misremembering?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Weapon pickups were definitely not on timers, and rocket launchers/sniper rifles were balanced enough for that to be fine (small ammo capacity, very small clip capacity, RL just as deadly to you as to others when close-range fighting, RL very slow to drag out, using up a valuable weapon slot on this niche that may or may not be useful).

Really, the biggest imbalance with the sniper rifle is that you typically spawn with a better sniper weapon already with the pistol.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
Of course Halo 1 pickups spawned on a timer. How else would they return to the map after someone picked them up?

Edit: And no, the pistol was not a better sniper weapon than the sniper rifle.

Lork fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Nov 24, 2021

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Halo has always had weapon spawn timers, yeah. In Halo 1 at least they’re map specific, so on Derelict you have a new rocket/sniper every 30 seconds

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Didn't they just swap out with whatever gun the player dropped when they picked the gun up?

Like, okay, you got me, I didn't play Halo MP much and probably never will again at this point, but what little I did play, I swear that's how it went.

Also I dispute that edit; the pistol can't zoom as far and I recall it being weaker, but it has far more plentiful ammo and headshots more than well enough. At least in single-player, I haven't found much reason to use the sniper rifle over it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shadow Hog posted:

Didn't they just swap out with whatever gun the player dropped when they picked the gun up?

It did, but if you go to the sniper rifle spawn point and only find a half-full AR the other player now has a big advantage

It's true that the pistol doesn't have the damage per shot or effective range of the sniper but it has way more of both than it felt like it should, especially in MP. It was the most effective midrange weapon by a long shot and a good pistol user would win against almost anything that wasn't a one-shot kill that took them by surprise

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

ludicrously old source on the respawn timers

The sniper rifle is a one hit kill. Pistol is famously great and a good pistolero will beat a bad sniper every time but yeah, sniper is a better weapon

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

crondaily posted:

I don't remember Halo 1 having the rocket launcher or sniper be a timed super weapon, am I misremembering?

They work like Quake armor pickups i.e. once picked up a timer starts for the next time it spawns. So you'd contest the initial spawn then come back when the timer is up. There's some weirdness like spawns being different per map and the spawn not happening if the weapon has ammo and is held by a player, and "competitive Halo" is team based rather than duels so it's less emphasized than Quake 3 I guess.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Power weapons not respawning if they’re still held was added in Halo 2 or 3 iirc.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The funniest part of Halo 1 was vehicles were indestructible so you'd get things where you hit it with a rocket kill all 3 inside then immediately flip it over and your squad use it or hit it at the perfectly wrong angle so it goes flying through the air and only the driver is dead.

PC Halo 1 there were also way too many goddang vehicles on maps and a banshee was basically unkillable that when Halo 2 came around and made Banshees flying deathtraps I dedicated myself to their obliteration.

skasion posted:

Power weapons not respawning if they’re still held was added in Halo 2 or 3 iirc.

Yeah, they've tweaked how it works quite a lot. They now helpfully color code weapon pick up spaces into blue red and gold with blue being respawns and everywhere on map, red being evenly distributed between teams but will not respawn as long as the weapon is held and gold being in contested spots with visible timer countdown otherwise same rules as red.

Halo Infinite is so good.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I miss Halo 1 vehicles being indestructible, we'd set up LAN sumo tournaments where you let both players get in warthogs and then see who can roll the other first.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I guess I don’t think of Halo as an arena fps because of how slow it is but I can’t deny it really is one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N9h2yDvbrc

I’m doing decently at it and like the game but the map design feels really boring visually. I hope they bring back many of the ones from the first 3 games, especially 3.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

I guess I don’t think of Halo as an arena fps because of how slow it is but I can’t deny it really is one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N9h2yDvbrc

I’m doing decently at it and like the game but the map design feels really boring visually. I hope they bring back many of the ones from the first 3 games, especially 3.

I always wanted to see Halo players dropped into quake 3, they'd poo poo themselves.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

crondaily posted:

I always wanted to see Halo players dropped into quake 3, they'd poo poo themselves.

Forever the best one. I’m hoping the Quake remaster was successful enough to get one for 2 and 3.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

crondaily posted:

I had the reverse happen to me; spoiled by all manner of Quake stuff and then I get dropped into a Halo DM back in the heady days of the needlessly large Xbox, complete with that stupid controller.

"Jesus Christ this game is slow" was something I just couldn't get out of my head while playing it.

Edit:
Jumping was a necessity in Quake to avoid being it by anything and everything. In Halo, jumping felt like you were mocking the opposition and saying "go on try to hit me while I float here like a loving idiot".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I had the reverse happen to me; spoiled by all manner of Quake stuff and then I get dropped into a Halo DM back in the heady days of the needlessly large Xbox, complete with that stupid controller.

"Jesus Christ this game is slow" was something I just couldn't get out of my head while playing it.

Edit:
Jumping was a necessity in Quake to avoid being it by anything and everything. In Halo, jumping felt like you were mocking the opposition and saying "go on try to hit me while I float here like a loving idiot".

Grenades are a huge part of Halo that I despise, the fact that you spawn with 2 is so dumb.