Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I know it's a thing you can do in britland, but it seems kind of tasteless to sue the pants off some random nobody for posting a stupid photoshop.

Incidentally, why are so many British tweeters named "Cllr?" I don't think it's a name I've ever heard spoken.

'Councillor'. He's not a random nobody, he's an elected local politician. So, still kind of a random nobody, yeah, but one held to certain public standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

What a TWT:

quote:

Boris Johnson has “prophesised” a mass return of workers to city centres and office blocks, saying that there are “sound evolutionary reasons why mother nature does not like working from home”.

Johnson said – in a bizarre speech that referenced Pippa Pig World and saw the Prime Minister lose his place for 20 seconds – at the Confederation of British Industry’s (CBI) annual conference today that “young people need to be in the office to learn and compete and pick up social capital”.

It comes after figures from Remit Consulting in the Financial Times today showed that just 22 per cent of staff are working at the office full-time nationally.

Footfall numbers have increased in central London over the past six months, however they are only at around half of pre-pandemic levels.

Many City workers now come in three days a week – Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Johnson said he did not think this would be a long-term trend.

“I know that there are some people that think working habits have been remade by the pandemic and that we will only be working on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday in an acronym I wont’ repeat,” he said.

“I don’t want to be dogmatic about this, but I have my doubts and it’s not just that young people need to be in the office to learn and compete and pick up social capital. There are also sound evolutionary reasons why mother nature does not like working from home.

“I prophesise people will come back, they will come back to the office … and people also want choice and that’s why we must put in the gigabit broadband as we are.”

The poor shops and landlords crying out for more commuters, climate be damned.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I wonder who came up with the phrase "social capital" and how much they were paid for it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

gonadic io posted:

assuming you're not joking (it's a good joke if you are) it stands for "councillor", his office.

"Not sure if you're joking" is exactly what I was going for, thanks. :)

Biplane posted:

I wonder who came up with the phrase "social capital" and how much they were paid for it.

I once shared an idle thought I described as 'social capital' amongst a group of learned friends, and I can tell you with relative certainty that it is academically credited to French sociologist Pierre Bourdieu. I don't think Tories and middle managers fond of the term paid him anything for it.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
what's your personal carbon capital score at

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/CouncillorPaul_/status/1463130394019209222

the corbyn laying wreath at the liverpool bomber picture was genuinely funny, probably the closest any of these have been to being funny. incredibly keir starmery of corbyn to go all defamation about this

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

in a just society, we would create a position staffed by a member of the public, who rotates out each week, and whose sole responsibility is to walk past keith and mess up his stupid hair

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

i am harry posted:

in a just society, we would create a position staffed by a member of the public, who rotates out each week, and whose sole responsibility is to walk past keith and mess up his stupid hair
Are you trying to get him elected??

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Bedshaped posted:

the corbyn laying wreath at the liverpool bomber picture was genuinely funny, probably the closest any of these have been to being funny. incredibly keir starmery of corbyn to go all defamation about this

No it isn't

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Bedshaped posted:

Nah jezza should have sued each one of the Twitter cunts

If he was pretending to be Keith he would have said "well he does have a point, we will address these ligit concerns, here is 1 million pounds to close the issue"

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Just saw someone retweeting the apology and saying Corbyn should go after all these Tory scum. That's when I realised I'd assumed it was some Labour councillor.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

how come this guy gets sued and not the dozens of politicians and media outlets who spent 3 years calling corbyn a britain-hating terrorist-lover

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
The politicians very specifically did it only in Parliament which is the exception to the law (and the declined to repeat their claims outside)

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
The papers, well, most published retractions to the previous scandals on page 100 and also quoted people making it up (e.g. said mps in Parliament) instead of claiming it was true past the headline

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The apology tweet being the same for everyone that libels him and ending in "please retweet" is the funniest part

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/BBradley_Mans/status/967526680188375040

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Bedshaped posted:

wtf

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
What are the legal ramifications of saying you saw Jeremy Corbyn morph into a demon when no one else but you was looking and then quickly change back?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I hope Corbyn continues to destroy these losers in court forever. Drifting around twitter like the angel of death looking for anyone talking poo poo

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Futanari Damacy posted:

What are the legal ramifications of saying you saw Jeremy Corbyn morph into a demon when no one else but you was looking and then quickly change back?
Kicked out of Labour for antisemitically claiming Corbyn isn't always a demon.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
This former wikileaks employee is maybe the worst person working in British media right now. Just unbelievably smug while being intensely stupid

https://twitter.com/jamesrbuk/status/1463429761695367168?t=aIqHyUCs6Y-GWMnsPqZnVw&s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Lmao

https://twitter.com/wossy/status/1463070475349905410?t=dAhNn4xgcDDVXsLTjkrtxQ&s=19

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
coyle popped positive.

https://twitter.com/coyleneil/status/1463458845611724803?s=20

has he been in the HoC recently, out of curiosity?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

CoolCab posted:

coyle popped positive.

https://twitter.com/coyleneil/status/1463458845611724803?s=20

has he been in the HoC recently, out of curiosity?

he's recorded as a no vote for the healthcare bill amendment on Monday, are they doing remote voting again yet?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

gonadic io posted:

he's recorded as a no vote for the healthcare bill amendment on Monday, are they doing remote voting again yet?

don't think so. oooooh he was boosted yesterday, which means assuming he's following government guidance at six months his protection is radically diminished.

https://twitter.com/coyleneil/status/1463206869632266248?s=20

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

The Grauniad published a fascinating-looking article earlier today about a mostly-unknown web forum full of hate and trolls, begging for it to be shutdown. No, not this dead, gay forum. A smaller, British-centric, limited hangout TattleLife.
The premise is that these anonymous trolls are targeting British girls/women online, to the point where they feel unsafe to leave their homes. There are also counter-trolls de-anonymising other users in hilariously illegal ways that could annoyingly have repercussions for the rest of us (like being mentioned under privilege in a committee).
On the surface it looks like they have it out women online in the public eye; influencers, instagrammers, youtubers, gurus, etc. Within a couple minutes it's possible to find out many other reasons why the establishment want to get rid of that forum:

Deliciously Ella #2 Matt was the best birthing partner, feeding me coconut water and peanut butter posted:

Deliciously Ella is now a family business; whatever that means when she's part of the Sainsbury multi billion dynasty family with her mum being Camilla Davan Sainsbury, her dad is former politician Shaun Woodward and her husband is an investment banker who's also a well connected son of a prominent politician (Tessa Jowell) and corporate lawer (David Mills) who was involved in scandals while working for Silvio Berlusconi.

Both of Ella Woodward Mills parents were listed several times in Jeffrey Epstein's little black book of contacts. No comment has been made yet by them.
Shaun & Camilla Woodward is listed in Epstein's black book on page 58.
Epstein recorded 4 phone numbers and 1 address under this name.

:allears:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

CoolCab posted:

don't think so. oooooh he was boosted yesterday, which means assuming he's following government guidance at six months his protection is radically diminished.

https://twitter.com/coyleneil/status/1463206869632266248?s=20

huh? Did he wait too long?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Regarde Aduck posted:

huh? Did he wait too long?

no, looking into it. he, probably wisely, actually got in early i think this puts his booster shot at around the 5 month mark?

https://twitter.com/coyleneil/status/1406167921714466817?s=20

you start seeing the waning protection start at about 4 and continue to slowly decline, the 6 month figure is more of a logistical concession. i would anticipate mr coyle to experience significantly more covid than if he'd gotten his booster two weeks ago.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
British F-35B Crash In The Med Possibly Caused By ‘Rain Cover’ Left On During Launch

quote:

Sailors saw a red cover floating in the sea after the stealth jet splashed into the Mediterranean.

A source said: “They knew almost right away.

“The covers and engine blanks are supposed to be removed before flight.

“The ground crew do it and they are incredibly strict.

“Then the pilot walks round.”

The Navy pilot tried to abort take-off but ran out of runway so had to eject.

If confirmed, the crash of the F-35B would have been caused by a catastrophic chain of failures (by more than one person) in following the standard taxi and take off procedures, that will certainly include multiple visual checks of the actual removal of the air intake covers and safety pins (which are in red color and have the usual “Remove Before Flight” sign to attract the attention and prevent this kind of incidents).

original source is the sun so probably made up but still lmao if true

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lmao how do you miss those things, they're giant and bright red

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Raskolnikov38 posted:

idk get the red cones scooped out of your retinas

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

They're red so it's obviously Jeremy Corbyn's fault.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

A bit dated but I just thought of it and wanted to share:

David Cameron: the man behind the 'end of history' party

David Cameron: the man behind the end of his Tory party (I wish)

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Private Speech posted:

What a TWT:

The poor shops and landlords crying out for more commuters, climate be damned.

twat is just a polite way of saying c*nt, right?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

That's why the Brits decided to use darker ones

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
in the same way calling someone a dick is the same as saying he's a cock. they have slightly different implications. twat usually usually also implies someone is foolish, while oval office is more generally pejorative.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Lostconfused posted:

That's why the Brits decided to use darker ones

you fuckin' idiots lmao

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
if someone shouts at you "you twat!" you've probably done something silly that has somehow inconvenienced them - say dinging their car. it is both a way of saying "what an idiot!" and "gently caress you".

if someone shouts at you "you oval office!" you've probably really offended them and they might be starting a fight.

they're both used friendly though which confuses things.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Relevant Tangent posted:

twat is just a polite way of saying c*nt, right?

yo ucan say oval office its ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Jose posted:

yo ucan say oval office its ok

i can, feels like cultural appropriation though