Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
When they inevitably release an enhanced version with dante from the devil may cry series in a year or two and I pay full price to play the game I already own again, I'm probably gonna go magic nahobino. Strength naho has some really good early and lategame skills but it feels like all the good midgame skills are magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
They're in the key items of your inventory.

What they do is unlock special attacks that use the magatsuhi gauge. You just have the crit one by default, but say you pick up the Foul Talisman and have a Slime in your party; the Slime can then use a different buff on its turn if you have a full gauge.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Got it, thank you. I have one demon that has the non-default Magatsuhi but I don't really know how to manage it? I want to max out actions since Magatsuhi is one turn so waiting until I get to the right demon is blowing 1 to 3 turns. What's the optimal way of using special Magatsuhi? Presumably I can put special ones on Nahobino or no?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You can rearrange turn order in the main menu. Nahobino isn't locked to going first

e: there's a midgame miracle that gives nahobino the magatsuhi abilities of all demons who are currently out, as well

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Ibram Gaunt posted:

No. I have 100 luck and Murderous Glee and my str based skills still don't crit like 50% of the time.

And I'm at 153 luck (where I hit the level cap, if not skill) and it's definitely 50/50. 4 hits guarantees one but otherwise it's not reliable enough.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Ready to go to the Area 2 final boss I think, this is my GotY, drat. It's actually fun to explore, Hard mode reached the point where it's challenging without being unfair and negotiations are still as frustrating as always.

That said I just did Artemis' DLC quest and holy poo poo she's jacked. Better version of Aramasa, 2 inmunities, double Rakunda on a skill and my first demon with access to -dyne spells. Also 6 free Vitality Balms from her quest. Almost like I paid for it :v:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I started off putting lots of points in Agility and am now pushing for a magic build, and I think this ended up working out really well.
I never miss, and even when I gently caress up on a world encounter, I'm still more likely to start with initiative, including some of the bosses, and mitama encounters are basically all gimmes.
For early game, this has been really useful, but not being able to hit -too- hard was finally getting to me, so it might just be an advantage to getting your agility in early and then pushing the rest of your build?

Neeksy fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 23, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is the NB's agility the only stat checked for first turn initiative?

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Level difference seems to be even more important, frankly. I also got ambushed quite a bit more often when I was playing hard mode.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Got it, thank you. I have one demon that has the non-default Magatsuhi but I don't really know how to manage it? I want to max out actions since Magatsuhi is one turn so waiting until I get to the right demon is blowing 1 to 3 turns. What's the optimal way of using special Magatsuhi? Presumably I can put special ones on Nahobino or no?

Theres a miracle that let's the MC use the active party's Magatsuhi move. You also can just put the desired demon first in the party to use it off the bat.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
changing party order to put another demon first is one of those things i didn't know worked until like 3/4ths through

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I feel like in any battle where you're going to be really pushed to your limit, Nahobino last is the way to go, because it lets you revive a demon and swap them back in on the same turn without issue. Any fight where you aren't having too much trouble, Nahobino first will usually be best cause he's usually your best damage dealer and you want to maximize the chance he gets two turns.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

:suspense: that ending to the second area. I mean, par on par with SMT but it's been so long and so many Persona spinoffs it caught me off guard.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I said she was giving me beth vibes

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just got the 4th ending and I like that last little twist at the end.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hunt11 posted:

It does make me wonder what Lucifer's game was. I found his argument a bit confusing to follow. Why would killing him and absorbing the creator's knowledge prevent the cycle from continuing? Lucy wasn't interesting in explaining. Rather, it felt to me more like the snake in the garden again, tempting the human to eat the knowledge. Last time that happened, it was explicitly the hole in the creator's plan that allowed Nahobino to re-emerge and for the cycle to continue. What does it mean this time?

As much as the human ending is the hidden one, I almost feel like the destroy the throne ending is the more satisfying one, and the one most analogous to Nocturne's TDE. You're making a world soaked in violence, but also the only one where you're sure that once the fighting is done, it's really done. It feels very odd to me that it isn't the one hidden by the sidequest requirements. Especially since Shiva is all about destroying the world, providing an obvious hook for where you get the idea.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

It does make me wonder what Lucifer's game was. I found his argument a bit confusing to follow. Why would killing him and absorbing the creator's knowledge prevent the cycle from continuing? Lucy wasn't interesting in explaining. Rather, it felt to me more like the snake in the garden again, tempting the human to eat the knowledge. Last time that happened, it was explicitly the hole in the creator's plan that allowed Nahobino to re-emerge and for the cycle to continue. What does it mean this time?

As much as the human ending is the hidden one, I almost feel like the destroy the throne ending is the more satisfying one, and the one most analogous to Nocturne's TDE. You're making a world soaked in violence, but also the only one where you're sure that once the fighting is done, it's really done. It feels very odd to me that it isn't the one hidden by the sidequest requirements. Especially since Shiva is all about destroying the world, providing an obvious hook for where you get the idea.

I guess the idea is that it allows the mc to push behind the power of a Nahobino and the top god to something else. Something that could actually guard the edges of reality from things like Messiahs, Tempters, or whatever that inevitably drag everything back to the same old position that every SMT game starts with.

The last three games make it very clear that in the long run TDE is no more permanent then any other ending. Hell, the existence of the dlc makes it clear in that regard that the demi-fiend is still trapped in the same cycle bullshit as everyone else. Also my take with what goes on with Shiva is that taking the time to actually stop a destroyer and getting caught up with what was going on with the Egyptian pantheon gave the mc some perspective on the world and to try and push towards something besides destruction.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Theres a miracle that let's the MC use the active party's Magatsuhi move. You also can just put the desired demon first in the party to use it off the bat.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

changing party order to put another demon first is one of those things i didn't know worked until like 3/4ths through

cheetah7071 posted:

I feel like in any battle where you're going to be really pushed to your limit, Nahobino last is the way to go, because it lets you revive a demon and swap them back in on the same turn without issue. Any fight where you aren't having too much trouble, Nahobino first will usually be best cause he's usually your best damage dealer and you want to maximize the chance he gets two turns.

Lmao it simply didn't occur to me that having the Nahobino anywhere but last first was... possible. I didn't even try hahaha

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 24, 2021

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hunt11 posted:

I guess the idea is that it allows the mc to push behind the power of a Nahobino and the top god to something else. Something that could actually guard the edges of reality from things like Messiahs, Tempters, or whatever that inevitably drag everything back to the same old position that every SMT game starts with.

The last three games make it very clear that in the long run TDE is no more permanent then any other ending. Hell, the existence of the dlc makes it clear in that regard that the demi-fiend is still trapped in the same cycle bullshit as everyone else. Also my take with what goes on with Shiva is that taking the time to actually stop a destroyer and getting caught up with what was going on with the Egyptian pantheon gave the mc some perspective on the world and to try and push towards something besides destruction.

I didn't buy the dlc so I can't speak to it directly, but the Nocturne and SMT5 cosmologies feel different enough that if it tries to say "they're part of the same system" that feels like a fundamental misreading of both games. Better to leave it as a fun sidestory you don't think too hard about

The rest of this makes sense as a sensible enough read though

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
So in terms of essences... is there anything missable here? Like do they all (aside from the final optional fiend) eventually unlock for sale or at the very least are farmable? Trying to figure out if there's missable ones I need to hoard for endgame shenanigans.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't think there are any missable or even non-replenishable essences besides the one you already pointed out. Any demon that can join your party can give you its essence rarely upon leveling up, and gathering points can rarely give you extra aogami essences

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mailer posted:

So in terms of essences... is there anything missable here? Like do they all (aside from the final optional fiend) eventually unlock for sale or at the very least are farmable? Trying to figure out if there's missable ones I need to hoard for endgame shenanigans.

Every demon will give you their essence if you level them up 10 times

I don't know if there's any way to farm the essence of the level 90+ demons but that's a pretty edge case

Don't hoard, every important skill is present on tons of essences. The only exceptions are high-tier skills which you get so late in the game that there's nothing to hoard for because the final boss is right around the corner

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

cheetah7071 posted:

Every demon will give you their essence if you level them up 10 times

I don't know if there's any way to farm the essence of the level 90+ demons but that's a pretty edge case

Don't hoard, every important skill is present on tons of essences. The only exceptions are high-tier skills which you get so late in the game that there's nothing to hoard for because the final boss is right around the corner

You can savescum level up rewards, which I kind of wish I didn't find out because ~~~eh~~~ but at least you can just only blow one grimoire at a time if you're trying to get something like "what I'm pretty sure is the only Phys Drain essence in the game"

This becomes really apparent if you save near a petrified demon, level up every demon in your party at once, and see the difference in rewards you get from each iteration

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Hunt11 posted:

Just finished watching it and I'm honestly a little disappointed at how it played out-- the unlock requirement for the ending is basically "help the good demons" and then the ending you're rewarded with is to blow every single one of them into nonexistence more thoroughly than if you had done some sort of full-chaos-kill-everyone-drat-the-consequences run? The twist is interesting (even if it does hit some familiar Lain-esque vibes) but whew lad

Additionally I was kind of surprised at the lack of additional "neutral/true ending" content-- the last one I played was IV and it was awhile ago but the amount of extra work put into this neutral ending seemed nearly nonexistent. I was moderately surprised when I summoned Danu and got 100% registration completion credit before even touching the last boss, and then the last boss was....the same last boss as the law/chaos endings, with even the same voice lines slightly more spread out through the fight, and the only difference being some now-trivialized extra health bars because well duh you already did Shiva, of course it's comparatively trivial

I wouldn't mind frontloading the content ahead of the path lock decision point like that if they had put some sort of "NG+ but we'll drop you back in the Path to the Throne" or something but, eh. I fully admit that replaying the entire game from front to end multiple times with the above being the only difference is probably souring me a bit in the immediate aftermath.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Nice job putting a boss fight after like a half hour of tedious meandering around the high school and cutscene plot dumps with no save points in between. Nice job me for failing to respect the "for one turn" part of element dampeners.

The moment I saw that my party had lost the buff, I instantly called the incoming Mudo +3 to Nahobino. What a lovely feeling loss.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

enojy posted:

Nice job putting a boss fight after like a half hour of tedious meandering around the high school and cutscene plot dumps with no save points in between. Nice job me for failing to respect the "for one turn" part of element dampeners.

The moment I saw that my party had lost the buff, I instantly called the incoming Mudo +3 to Nahobino. What a lovely feeling loss.

The save point is in the medical center :ssh:

e: Which is to say, everything runs on RPG time so no matter how close the end of the world is, running several blocks out of your way to hit the save point if you're in the overworld between plot beats is A Good Idea

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 24, 2021

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

You're almost at the end of the nadir of the game. Forge ahead OP

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if anyone has Seth I highly recommend saving the game with him in the party because his save game icon is the goofiest looking thing ever

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

enojy posted:

Theres a savepoint at the medical center and at the school but its easy to miss on the left side.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah I thought about going back outside to save (much easier without random battles) but I chose to live dangerously and it paid off lol.

I can see how it might be annoying but considering that is the only thing that felt like an old school dungeon (I'm about 40 hours in) it was a neat change of pace, the rest of the game is like a save point every other fight

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Is Impaler's Animus worth a slot in my final skill list? I've taken care of almost every Abscess in the fourth area and I'm not sure if I wanna use my Glory on two ranks of Support Mastery. I guess. I don't have to do that but I am Dark-focused and drat near every notable fight at least Resists Dark so I figured IA might be worth it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
If you're using anything but Almighty, probably?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Okay Atlus this is just cruel. (Area 3 spoilers) making my homie Black Frost the capitalist pig. My gaming senses tell me to side with him but my morals want him dead!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Okay Atlus this is just cruel. (Area 3 spoilers) making my homie Black Frost the capitalist pig. My gaming senses tell me to side with him but my morals want him dead!

I felt the same way about Loki threatening to make the uber-rich immortal with Golden Apples. Like motherfucker I will bind you deep in the earth and have a snake eternally drip venom into your eyes before Bezos sees so much as a slice, see if I don't.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So this game really, really, doesn't expect you to reach stats beyond 150~ or so at all. I was messing around with the optional bonus bosses and after putting all my points into strength from level 1 to 99 I finished with about 160 STR without using any stat ups and was chunking them pretty hard on crits, and even with the rest of my stats hovering around 50 neither of them could one shot my main character even with a full stack of defense debuffs. Stats cap at 999. at 999 defense the demi-fiend is doing 4 damage to me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
how many quest navs are there, btw. I just got the best one aitvaras, in the Tokyo Bay Bridge area which seemed to be tied to doing an earlier sidequest

also the first thing he dug up upon returning to the 4th area was a Gospel, lol

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

The alternative choice in that one is pretty rad though.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

how many quest navs are there, btw. I just got the best one aitvaras, in the Tokyo Bay Bridge area which seemed to be tied to doing an earlier sidequest

also the first thing he dug up upon returning to the 4th area was a Gospel, lol

Should be Amanozako, Pyro Jack, Hua Po, and Decarabia as well. So 5 total.
EDIT: Ah drat I forgot the last area one, yeah that's 6 total.

HGH fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 24, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I had a quest that unlocked Yatagarasu as a navigator somewhere in Taito, but never came across Aitvaras.

E: Oh, I had also unlocked Aitvaras, but didn't notice because I'd only spoken to him while Amanozako was plot tied to the party, and his speech bubble remained greyed out afterwards. Bummer!

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
So nobody else wastes any time, if you're planning on doing Newborn NG+ the route specific miracles do not carry over.