Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Ok but the whole thing with Fantasy Life Online is really weird/funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

very sad level-5 stopped making games

for a second I read this as factor 5 and was momentarily confused as to what factor 5 has to do with JRPGs

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Crowetron posted:

I just started up Dark Cloud 2 again for the first time in over a decade this weekend and was going to post about how much it owns. And I haven't even gotten to the golf yet!

I couldn't get into Dark Cloud 2 myself but Dark Cloud 1 is my all time favourite game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What was the final playtime on BR2? I know "too long" but that can mean a few things. Hoping for short enough that I have a hope of finishing before endwalker

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

cheetah7071 posted:

What was the final playtime on BR2? I know "too long" but that can mean a few things. Hoping for short enough that I have a hope of finishing before endwalker

My save file before the end boss with everything possible to do on a single playthrough done was like 42 hours plus like one more for the probably 12 final boss forms and ending.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

On HLTB right now it says 42 hours for the main story + extras, but I think that's an underestimate. It took me about 54 hours to complete doing every date, request, and building all the optional structures. That was with skipping most of the combat from the final two dungeons because I was mega OP by that point.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm generally reasonably quick, so 40-45 is probably about right for me. That's probably doable with the long weekend coming up. Thanks!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I had a very similar experience the last time I played Frontier and I haven't touched it since. I just don't have the patience for this that I did when I was 13.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i have a lot of nostalgia for that game but i did not remember that 99% of it consists of random battles.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i have a lot of nostalgia for that game but i did not remember that 99% of it consists of random battles.

Fortunately the remaster lets you do a guaranteed retreat from almost every battle and with no penalty. Good way to stay sane!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The battle music kicks rear end so just bring on more random encounters.

Combat moves look cool as hell too.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Thuryl posted:

The in-game help mentions that Luck affects drop rate, so I'm hoping that it's not just flat-out wrong about that. I didn't really invest in it on anyone except my Ninja, though.

I think enemy level also affects drop quality, so you can use the Hunter buff that raises enemy levels to farm better drops.

I put the support stats around 15 for everyone (Speed/Luck) and have it up to about 40 on my Fencer. I definitely notice it doing something compared to earlier in the game. I get a lot more G level quality items now for sure. In the postgame it feels trivial to pick up S-rank G-Rarity items with a few passes of Monflowers.

I'm rolling into what I think is the final-final postgame dungeon and my team is so damned strong they pretty much faceroll every encounter there is, bosses included. My fencer is smashing out 10k a round with Vampiric strikes with no buffs which finally outdamages Sorcerer spells on single target. Though, that said I haven't really messed with the tetra-element spell he has.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The battle music kicks rear end so just bring on more random encounters.

Combat moves look cool as hell too.

Frontier has some dope animations and nothing else in the series has really given me the same drat reaction from some of the crazier lv 4-5 combos as Frontier did

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Does this play into the group dynamics? Cause I feel like this could lead to some interesting interactions you don't see normally, since most RPG parties end up at least liking each other by the end of the game.

Two of the characters pointedly like each other less as the journey concludes. That said most grow to like each other more, the "do not want to be with each other" only affects a portion of the party. It does lead to some banter between those teammates and others that is purposefully awkward or unhappy, but fundamentally outside of cutscenes everyone is fully functional with each other.

I did like the character whose relationship improvement is "Ive decided I'll kill you last" in a sort of your not sure he means that in a Commando kind of way.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

HGH posted:

A proper Fantasy Life 2 never coming out is not very funny to me

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
I have a slightly spoilery question regarding Blue Reflection Second Light. I'm in chapter 7, and I have the date events for Uta. Should I be feeling compelled to do these now, or waiting until I go into her Heartscape? I'm conflicted between putting them off and being worried about locked content.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
True Fantasy Live Online is coming any day now

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

The main point of the game is tinkering with the battle system, yeah. The character plots are cool and good but the sum total of every character's plot content in the game combined is like 1/10th of a modern RPG.

I think my super tryhard "I want to completely 100% maximize my party including getting a perfect monster moveset and sparking all the relevant weapon techs and magic on all of my characters" run of one of the stories was like 15 hours.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
kinda love that immediately after both of the villains of dds2 pull you aside to shout "i believe in LAW" and "i believe in CHAOS" you just get a conversation with roland where he's like "iunno... personally i believe that truth lies in the middle... i believe in neutrality..."

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Myriad Truths posted:

I have a slightly spoilery question regarding Blue Reflection Second Light. I'm in chapter 7, and I have the date events for Uta. Should I be feeling compelled to do these now, or waiting until I go into her Heartscape? I'm conflicted between putting them off and being worried about locked content.

There's no reason not to do them as soon as they're available but you wont miss anything by waiting either, I dont think there's anything missable in the game other than it being impossible to get everyones Talent lvl up to max in one playthrough.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Colonel posted:

kinda love that immediately after both of the villains of dds2 pull you aside to shout "i believe in LAW" and "i believe in CHAOS" you just get a conversation with roland where he's like "iunno... personally i believe that truth lies in the middle... i believe in neutrality..."

Theres no time roland for your truth is in the middle, I have to merge myself with another person so we can inspire Steven Universe*

*my own recent replay made me think of this and I cannot shake cannibal steven from my brain now

Barudak fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Nov 24, 2021

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

exquisite tea posted:

Much of the soundtrack is recycled or remixed from the original OST, so chances are you will like it. They took the best single theme from BR1 (Aruella) and made it the home basic music. I tend to like the softer more ambient piano arrangements you find within the heartscapes although the main battle theme rules also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC0etbJdopo

So far I've been enjoying it, I only played the first game earlier this year so a lot of the tracks are still familiar and it's pleasing hearing them again.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I was thinking about how weapons are typically divided up among party members in RPGs. There are basically two schools I can think of in terms of how RPGs handle different weapon types.

1. Every character has One (and only One) weapon type they can use. Some characters may share categories and can swap weapons if they want (Like Elliot and Emma in Cold Steel), but Rean can only use tachis, Laura can only use greatswords, Jusis can only use fencing swords, etc.
2. What weapons a character can use is based on what skills they've invested in some sort of skill tree or skill point system, which can be divided up on a class by class basis (see: Etrian Odyssey and Landskenect's ability to use swords or axes). More common in class-based systems but sometimes it shows up in character-based ones (Dragon Quest 8 and 11).

The only RPG I can think of where there are multiple overlapping weapons characters can use is the Golden Sun series, where there are a few general categories that some characters have access to but not all (Only the two more 'magey' characters, Ivan and Mia, could use staffs, but Ivan could also use light/shortswords along with the more physically-inclined Isaac and Garet, who could also use longswords and axes.)

How do you like weapon types to be divided up? Do you have any preferences?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Myriad Truths posted:

I think all the dates in the game go in sequential order, like if you've been skipping out on building up a particular character then get back to them after some big revelation in their own story arc, you'll still go through all the earlier dates first.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

marshmallow creep posted:

I had a very similar experience the last time I played Frontier and I haven't touched it since. I just don't have the patience for this that I did when I was 13.

one time i started on lute, who a friend recommended as the easiest character to start with, and walked left on the world map and died to the first encounter in one hit. havent touched it since

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Lute is easy in the sense that you can go and do basically anything in the game, but not easy in that there's basically no direction aside from "Do poo poo, then head into the end game." Even canonically, his adventure is supposed to go last (because he is a nice boy who'll help out everyone, so they all come together to give him an assist). I'd say probably start with T260G, Red, or Emilia for a bit more direction. Blue, Riki, and Asellus are more mechanically interesting but trickier to get a handle on as your first time through. And then Lute for the "Recruit just about erryone, run around doing whatever" run once you have a better idea of what's where and when it a good idea to do it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

exquisite tea posted:

I think all the dates in the game go in sequential order, like if you've been skipping out on building up a particular character then get back to them after some big revelation in their own story arc, you'll still go through all the earlier dates first.

One thing I forgot to mention about dates earlier is that some are tied to a particular school makeover construction. Once you get close to the end of the game and run out of space for new ones, make sure you do any dates tied to ones placed before replacing them. You can still get the dates for any in storage but you have to have them placed in the world to trigger.

Senator Chuckles
Apr 28, 2013
Gonna agree with the Red recommendation with the added tip that you absolutely must do the optional lab in that one city and recruit that little blue mage critter at the end of it. I had to restart a couple of times after getting stuck on the Cygnus because I couldn't beat one of the non-optional fights (do not correct me on this I do not want to know if there was some obtuse trick to exploit here). Play around with combos to the best of your ability and consult a combo guide if you really want to (a lot of them use the old translation unfortunately, but most of the names are pretty similar).

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

HGH posted:

there was a thing? I only know they were gonna make FL2 and then it turned into some kinda f2p gacha thing?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Amppelix posted:

luckily you haven't seen the best party member in the game yet

You mean Cruxie who joins after her story is over and is a mechanical replacement for Mustafa?

Ok that's a bit unfair, since IMO except for Adol , Dogi and Aisha the party members aren't really implemented well as party members. They work well for their narrative, but that also means that they aren't actually part of the team for a big part of the game, so you get used to the standard three and how they fight. Since Adol defaults to Slash and can not be removed from the party, Elk and Geis aren't as interesting, Dogi is always in the party so you get used to how he plays even if Cruxie is strictly better, and Mishera's laser noises are a dealbreaker. And I really wanted a ranged character in the party because it meant easy access to SP, which I needed because I was for some reason underleveled for almost every boss, which meant going toe to toe not a viable option.

Overall I'd probably rate 7 as my least favourite of the Ys games I've played, not because it has bad ideas, but just that they didn't make them all fit together right, though lack of sprint is awful. It's also a kind of halfway point between the older and newer games, where even just Celceta gets a lot better just by having a second go at some of the things.

Now let's see how long I can stand Kefin before going for a replay of Origin

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

One thing I forgot to mention about dates earlier is that some are tied to a particular school makeover construction. Once you get close to the end of the game and run out of space for new ones, make sure you do any dates tied to ones placed before replacing them. You can still get the dates for any in storage but you have to have them placed in the world to trigger.

Something also I missed for a long time is that the girl icons with a black background whenever you're at school represent a skit, which usually result in getting a bunch of talent points for whatever girl you side with.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Relin posted:

one time i started on lute, who a friend recommended as the easiest character to start with, and walked left on the world map and died to the first encounter in one hit. havent touched it since

I'm really interested in what on earth would make your friend say that, because Lute's entire thing is that his campaign is totally 100% open-ended and you can do anything you want with no direction at all so it's going to be horribly confusing and potentially extremely punishing to any new player who has no idea what they're doing. He's completely the opposite of an easy character to start with, because he's meant to be played at the very end as the game's "total freedom" mode.

Red and T260 are the big "this scenario gives you some basic structure" choices, since they have meaty narratives(by the standards of SaGa Frontier) and basically hand you some good characters to work with to actually play the game if you don't know the game like the back of your hand.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

there was a thing? I only know they were gonna make FL2 and then it turned into some kinda f2p gacha thing?

Ok yeah, that's what happened. So Fantasy Life Online came out in 2018 in Japan, been around for 3 or so?
It got announced last month to be coming west.
...it ends service in Japan next month.
Level-5 is a well managed company :)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
just give me celshaded games with 50000 mini games and sidequests!!! I will forgive them for rogue galaxy SO PLEASE.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i can't forgive them, for not making more rogue galaxy

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Does Second Light have a sprint button? Probably going to pick it up anyway, but please tell me I'm not going to experience a repeat of Hinako's constant, agonizingly slow, half-jog animation from the first game :ohdear:.

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Nov 24, 2021

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's a run button yes.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Great, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Apraxin posted:

Does Second Light have a sprint button? Probably going to pick it up anyway, but please tell me I'm not going to experience a repeat of Hinako's constant, agonizingly slow, half-jog animation from the first game :ohdear:.
she has a bum leg cut her some slack