Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

boof posted:

Okay thread, hopefully someone can help me here because this has been driving me nuts all day.

I woke up this morning with a piece of game music in my head. It's a short loop that I recall playing over and over.

If I were to guess the era and type of game, it would have been mid-90s (Commodore 64 probably?) and probably a platformer.

I found a random website that would let me recreate the song as it sounds in my head. Hopefully this link works and there should be a play button on the page that loads.

It reminds me of James Pond 2: Robocod

EDIT: Commodore version

Zathril fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Nov 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah that's definitely James Pond 2

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Either my 286 couldn't handle JP2 with music, or it didn't have any for the DOS port.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think it's amazing that you went through the effort of recreating that melody and then just got an answer within an hour.

Specifying the platform the game was on usually makes answering questions in this thread a lot easier, but still.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Nov 24, 2021

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

I think it's amazing that you went through the effort of recreating that melody and got an answer within an hour.

Specifying the platform the game was on usually makes answering questions in this thread a lot easier, but still.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roBkg-iPrbw

I've been on a tracker binge since Ahoy released his newest video, and I can't help but notice people using similar tools.

boof
Jun 3, 2001

Holy poo poo, that's it, thank you!!

Now I need to know why the hell James Pond 2, a game I haven't touched in ~25 years, entered my psyche.

beef sweat
Jan 1, 2013

There is a game I think of from time to time and I can never track it down in Google. Mid-90s I played it in a public school computer lab on a Macintosh (pretty sure since I would also use KidPix in the same lab). The character was an Indiana-jones-type. It was like Price of Persia in the sense that you would have to stop and jump/swing with a whip over chasms. I don’t THINK it was rotoscoped but it may have been. It also might have been educational.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

beef sweat posted:

There is a game I think of from time to time and I can never track it down in Google. Mid-90s I played it in a public school computer lab on a Macintosh (pretty sure since I would also use KidPix in the same lab). The character was an Indiana-jones-type. It was like Price of Persia in the sense that you would have to stop and jump/swing with a whip over chasms. I don’t THINK it was rotoscoped but it may have been. It also might have been educational.

Pitfall The Mayan Adventure maybe?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

beef sweat posted:

It’s a bit older and not educational but maybe Dark Castle or Beyond Dark Castle

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

THE BAR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roBkg-iPrbw

I've been on a tracker binge since Ahoy released his newest video, and I can't help but notice people using similar tools.

30 seconds in and this video is amazing, thanks

beef sweat
Jan 1, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

Pitfall The Mayan Adventure maybe?

No, the graphics here are too advanced for the game I remember.

Hal Insandenza posted:

It’s a bit older and not educational but maybe Dark Castle or Beyond Dark Castle

This looks more like it with very pixelated graphics and janky movement but it was more archeologist-adventure and not horror castle. I think the beginning of the game started in a brown cave.

Edit: I had to have played this sometime between 1995-1999. My brother thinks it was Ancient Empires but I remember all of TLC games pretty distinctly and those are much more cartoony than the game in question.

beef sweat fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 24, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

beef sweat posted:

This looks more like it with very pixelated graphics and janky movement but it was more archeologist-adventure and not horror castle. I think the beginning of the game started in a brown cave.

Edit: wow, nevermind, I reread the post and I'm way off. :shobon:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

beef sweat posted:

Edit: I had to have played this sometime between 1995-1999. My brother thinks it was Ancient Empires but I remember all of TLC games pretty distinctly and those are much more cartoony than the game in question.

Uh was it the Last Crusade action game, that starts in a brown cave.

beef sweat
Jan 1, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Uh was it the Last Crusade action game, that starts in a brown cave.

No, this is not it. And now that I think about it, one of the reasons it reminded me of Prince of Persia was that the level was broken up into smaller rooms that didn’t scroll the screen much, if at all.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
My guesses would be Another World or possibly Flashback, though neither fits exactly.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!

signalnoise posted:

What you're describing is a common way old RPGs used to handle character creation by having the player answer questions to determine their preference via a tournament bracket (i.e., the wireframe tree) and it was used in series like Ultima and The Elder Scrolls, but it was used in a lot of other games too. When you say it wasn't much of a game, do you mean to say that what you're describing was all of the gameplay?

Hey, thank you for responding.

Yes, the questions were the whole of the game. And then your picture of a specific skeleton impaled on the branch with that skeleton's name.

The tree thing makes sense but this was quite literal.

It was such a weird thing.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Prince of Persia 2 (the first prince of Persia 2) has an early cave level

Also, the 90s lode runner remake has a jungle / cave theme and rotoscoped looking graphics (Lode Runner the legend returns)

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

beef sweat posted:

Might be worth checking out this old thread on NeoGAF and seeing if it's any of them:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-cinematic-platformer-compendium.989633/

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

cmndstab posted:

Might be worth checking out this old thread on NeoGAF and seeing if it's any of them:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-cinematic-platformer-compendium.989633/

Why are there so many based on italian comic books.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

chairface posted:

The shelby cobra's not a convertible. It's open top. :getin:

The Cobra was from Age of Empires 2 and had machine guns (I believe "howdoiturnthison" was the code), the convertible of non-specific make and model with the rocket launcher was "bigdaddy" from the first game :goonsay:

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Serperoth posted:

The Cobra was from Age of Empires 2 and had machine guns (I believe "howdoiturnthison" was the code), the convertible of non-specific make and model with the rocket launcher was "bigdaddy" from the first game :goonsay:

out pedantry'd again!

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

chairface posted:

out pedantry'd again!

I’ve never felt so vindicated in my life, I have to write this down to tell my therapist about

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Why are there so many based on italian comic books.

Well, one of the best known platformers of all time is based on Italian plumbing. :pseudo:

Maybe Italy is just the world leader in platform settings.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
A early 90s 2D top down game set in old sail ship times.
You steered the boat looking down from above, and you had two types of weapons, grapeshot or cannons.
And when you had one activated it showed the arc of fire to the left or right of the ship.
And basically it was kill the other ships before they killed you.
The cannons were slow, as in you could dodge them if far away.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Sid Meier's Pirates?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Mystic Mongol posted:

Sid Meier's Pirates?

Nah, I don't remember any world map or such on it.
It was totally top down, not a 2.5D Sid Meier's Pirates seems to have from looking at it.
Could be a port of it, checking them here, but I swear this was on the PC.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Try Pirates 2.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

boof posted:

Holy poo poo, that's it, thank you!!

Now I need to know why the hell James Pond 2, a game I haven't touched in ~25 years, entered my psyche.

cos it's nearly Christmas? it's the Christmassiest game.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I hope this is close enough to a game:

A cartridge for the Atari 2600 that let you do some kind of programmable drawing. Not any of the Basics and I don't think it was delta draw. I recall that either it came with a demo or had a manual with code you could type in (AFAIK there was no way to save programs) to create the deforming, color-changing triangles that would later become a popular Screensaver in windows 3.1

What was this cartridge? What language did it let you use to describe the drawing?

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

happyhippy posted:

A early 90s 2D top down game set in old sail ship times.
You steered the boat looking down from above, and you had two types of weapons, grapeshot or cannons.
And when you had one activated it showed the arc of fire to the left or right of the ship.
And basically it was kill the other ships before they killed you.
The cannons were slow, as in you could dodge them if far away.

Wooden Ships and Iron Men?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

pesty13480 posted:

Wooden Ships and Iron Men?

This looks more like it, but again in my memory its top down, and the sea is a uniform one solid blue color.
And in real time, not turn based.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

happyhippy posted:

This looks more like it, but again in my memory its top down, and the sea is a uniform one solid blue color.
And in real time, not turn based.

Age of Sail or Age of Sail 2?

Edit: Not sure if that's Top Down enough.

pesty13480 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 26, 2021

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Could also be Uncharted Waters or its sequel New Horizons. Also note that Sid Meier's Pirates has been remade several times.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

if it's not any of those, Cutthroats: Terror On The High Seas was a Pirates!-alike from the right era that fits otherwise

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

It's probably too arcadey, but Overboard! has similar mechanics.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Here is a game that suddenly popped in my head:
Platform: PC
Genre: racing/action
Era: 1997-2002

You basically played a trucker on colonized planets. It had an open world structure where you could pick what kind of mission you would want: deliveries, racing or retrieving cargo from certain locations. You had weapons and they'd show up, cartoonishly large, hovering on the sides of your wheeled vehicle. The whole game was rather cartoonish, I guess it was still rather early 3D so they went for a exeggerated look where the people driving the vehicles where nowhere to be seen. One of the roving gangs of vehicles in the first area were cars with big sombreros, to really highlight that they were bandits going for your cargo. You had multiple planets to truck on, but I took me a while before I went to the second planet. I guess you either had to complete a certain amount of missions or I waited until had certain upgrades to my truck.

I think this game was made by European/Russian devs and it wasn't published by a big name.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 26, 2021

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

Here is a game that suddenly popped in my head:
Platform: PC
Genre: racing/action
Era: 1997-2002

You basically played a trucker on colonized planets. It had an open world structure where you could pick what kind of mission you would want: deliveries, racing or retrieving cargo from certain locations. You had weapons and they'd show up, cartoonishly large, hovering on the sides of your wheeled vehicle. The whole game was rather cartoonish, I guess it was still rather early 3D so they went for a exeggerated look where the people driving the vehicles where nowhere to be seen. One of the roving gangs of vehicles in the first area were cars with big sombreros, to really highlight that they were bandits going for your cargo. You had multiple planets to truck on, but I took me a while before I went to the second planet. I guess you either had to complete a certain amount of missions or I waited until had certain upgrades to my truck.

I think this game was made by European/Russian devs and it wasn't published by a big name.

Is it Trucks?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

COUROUCOUCOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
That last post reminded me of a game that I can only define as "Freelancer in Mars(or some other planet, idk)". You drove a small customizable flying taxi/ship, doing mercenary work for several corporations. The world felt pretty alive (or at least it did to my 13 year old self), and there would be skirmishes between other taxi drivers as you went about your business.

The world was industrial, low poly and very, very brown.

1990-ish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

That last post reminded me of a game that I can only define as "Freelancer in Mars(or some other planet, idk)". You drove a small customizable flying taxi/ship, doing mercenary work for several corporations. The world felt pretty alive (or at least it did to my 13 year old self), and there would be skirmishes between other taxi drivers as you went about your business.

The world was industrial, low poly and very, very brown.

1990-ish?

Hardwar.