Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

bob dobbs is dead posted:

in turn that one looked like that because the grateful dead was their main sponsor

This is a goddamn beautiful sentence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Visitors score is actually 127

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Holy poo poo that's my favourite story in a long time. This is truly the auspicious Chinathread.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Nam Taf posted:

Holy poo poo that's my favourite story in a long time. This is truly the auspicious Chinathread.

Can't spell auspicious without CIA...

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
auspiciaous

the 1992 semifinal is the only basketball match I've ever watched from beginning to end

Vesi fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Nov 24, 2021

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
On the subject of D&D, the kids in the NZ thread are already slipping into exactly the same 'Democracy is actually the worst because there's corruption' spiels that I see on the other side of the horseshoe.

What accounts for this utter lack of perspective?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

WarpedNaba posted:

On the subject of D&D, the kids in the NZ thread are already slipping into exactly the same 'Democracy is actually the worst because there's corruption' spiels that I see on the other side of the horseshoe.

What accounts for this utter lack of perspective?

Enormous loving privilege plus blackpilled echo chambers.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

And, as we all know, there have never been any instances of corruption in "communist" authoritarian governments.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

How are u posted:

Enormous loving privilege plus blackpilled echo chambers.

Yeah. These people have always been around but I don't think the internet is just making them more visible, it's offering a perfect way to spin yourself into self-radicalization. And the idea of having any kind of nuance just gets you mocked now, everything is binary. You can't say a government has problems and needs to be fixed, you have to think the entire concept is evil and authoritarianism is the answer.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i think this is a generic feature of life with many levels of abstraction. you saw it in mathematicians physicists and computer peeps first and not only because they were first to the internet. we're all as nuts as grothendieck now (ok, not really but thats the heading)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah. These people have always been around but I don't think the internet is just making them more visible, it's offering a perfect way to spin yourself into self-radicalization. And the idea of having any kind of nuance just gets you mocked now, everything is binary. You can't say a government has problems and needs to be fixed, you have to think the entire concept is evil and authoritarianism is the answer.

Also just an enormous lack of awareness that the level of access to information you get via the Internet is not the default and that life in a state where the government shuts down all alternative forms of media is very different.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Reminds me of an old Soviet joke my great-uncle used to tell:

In a gulag, two prisoners are introducing themselves.

"What did they arrest you for?" asks the first. "Was it a political or a common crime?"

"Political. I'm a plumber. They summoned me to the Kremlin to fix the sewage pipes. I looked and said, 'Hey, the entire system needs to be replaced.' So they gave me seven years."

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Also to be more charitable, radicalization always happens when poo poo is hosed, and poo poo is absolutely hosed right now. It's not a completely out there response to have.

There's also the factor that I think a lot of people genuinely believe in the climate rapture and humanity will literally be extinct by 2030, which is absurd if you know anything but is the sort of story we like to tell. It's a lot more fun than the reality of suffering through a multi-century long apocalypse that we could still largely mitigate but the powerful have chosen not to.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 24, 2021

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Apocalyptic thinking is, surprisingly, not good for mental health.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

And preemptively if someone wants to nitpick the definition of apocalypse now, :vincefrog:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

How are u posted:

Apocalyptic thinking is, surprisingly, not good for mental health.

Yeah. And it's hard to argue about it when we are actually experiencing an apocalyptic event.

William Gibson's talked about how our mental models inform our thinking and the ones we have of apocalypse are a sudden end of everything, we don't have a way of thinking/talking about a slow, grinding chaos and collapse that people will continue muddling through however they can. I think it's an interesting and accurate observation.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Grand Fromage posted:

Look, it's really simple:

Under a liberal system, no-one knows who is really responsible for government problems, so we can't do anything about them.

Under an authoritarian system, everyone knows who is really responsible for government problems, and we can't do anything about them.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Slight tweak:

Atopian posted:

Under an authoritarian system, everyone 'knows' who is really responsible for government problems, so they're put into camps while the UN claims that it technically doesn't count as a genocide.

CourtFundedPoster
Feb 2, 2019
Is there a Chinese equivalent of online doomers?

Like obviously most subjects that people would be less than sanguine about in China are verboten, but my understanding was that as long as it wasn't political sensitive or too extreme, you could actually complain about a wide range of topics online. I guess those "lying flat" guys are doing something like that.

So, what does your typical Chinese doomer dread?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Grand Fromage posted:

Also to be more charitable, radicalization always happens when poo poo is hosed, and poo poo is absolutely hosed right now. It's not a completely out there response to have.

There's also the factor that I think a lot of people genuinely believe in the climate rapture and humanity will literally be extinct by 2030, which is absurd if you know anything but is the sort of story we like to tell. It's a lot more fun than the reality of suffering through a multi-century long apocalypse that we could still largely mitigate but the powerful have chosen not to.

I don't think humanity will be extinct in 9 years

I do remember some prediction from like the 1980s saying society would collapse in 2040 which is much more believable

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Society is much more resilient than people give it credit for. Soceities take alot more damage over both recent and distant history and keep trucking - someone is always in charge after all.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah i think billions will die but society itself wil keep on truckin

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

yeah i think billions will die but society itself wil keep on truckin

Probably took until 1400AD 1300AD 1000AD for someone to realise that the Roman Empire had collapsed* (for a given value of 'collapsing') and to write it down, about 500~ years after it actually happened. Too distracted by the relative carnage of regime change**.

* Like, there was still Byzantine for a while, trucking along as usual, so really it's more about when Italy broke back down into petty fiefdoms.

** As apposed to the relative carnage of everyday life, back then.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Byzantium was Rome full stop

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

LashLightning posted:

Probably took until 1400AD 1300AD 1000AD for someone to realise that the Roman Empire had collapsed* (for a given value of 'collapsing') and to write it down, about 500~ years after it actually happened. Too distracted by the relative carnage of regime change**.

* Like, there was still Byzantine for a while, trucking along as usual, so really it's more about when Italy broke back down into petty fiefdoms.

** As apposed to the relative carnage of everyday life, back then.

I think the relevant comparison from Rome would be the Marian-Sulla civil war of 83-81BC, Caesar's civil war of 49-45BC, and the Antony-Octavian war of 32-30BC.

Three generations of Romans. The first generation had a crisis and Sulla eventually restored the Republic, but their children saw that you could break the system and take absolute power if you really wanted to. The second generation had a go but Caesar thought he could win it all without having to murder everyone. The third generation to play the Game of Thrones ends up with an absolute winner who sweeps up absolute power and kills all of his rivals.

Nobody in this 50 year period thought that they were living through the events that would be the end of democracy in Rome, and the vast majority of them thought that the Republic would bounce back, even as it was demonstrated again and again that the conventional constitutional limits on power weren't working.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

CourtFundedPoster posted:

Is there a Chinese equivalent of online doomers?

Like obviously most subjects that people would be less than sanguine about in China are verboten, but my understanding was that as long as it wasn't political sensitive or too extreme, you could actually complain about a wide range of topics online. I guess those "lying flat" guys are doing something like that.

So, what does your typical Chinese doomer dread?

Dying alone and single.

Also if they're Taiwanese they fear being attacked by China.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Don Gato posted:

Dying alone and single.

I mean this one's pretty ubiquitous to your average goon as well.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

WarpedNaba posted:

I mean this one's pretty ubiquitous to your average goon as well.

Yeah but your average goon has this as a self-inflicted condition, whereas China has a gender ratio among the 25 and under's that guarantees it for millions.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Gaius Marius posted:

Byzantium was Rome full stop

Byzantium was Greece.

at least as far as they were concerned

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Byzantium was Greece.

Nah, they were Roman. They never considered themselves greek even if they spoke it. From Augustus to Constantine XI Palaiologos, the empire and the emperor at the top were 100% Roman.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nah, they were Roman. They never considered themselves greek even if they spoke it. From Augustus to Constantine XI Palaiologos, the empire and the emperor at the top were 100% Roman.

Yeah it was the Western Roman Empire and the Eastern Roman Empire

They were never thought of as Greek

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
this made the rounds on twitter a couple days ago

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1463370832093364224

it's weird how the consensus from chinese twitter accounts was that the chinese photographer forced the models to squint their eyes to look more ugly and demonic, to stereotype the oriental style, when it's probably chinese people getting bombarded by modern day beautification apps and photoshops that tend to enlarge eyes causing to have weird beauty standards

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Byzantium was Greece.

Please don't troll me.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Grand Fromage posted:

Please don't troll me.

look im just sayin it aint called the roman orthodox church for a reason

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

look im just sayin it aint called the roman orthodox church for a reason

Because westerners call it that. The Rhomaioi people who lived in the country they called Romania did not. :colbert:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Does anyone actually *want* to be Greek

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Ah, the Holy Roman Empire. Up there with the Democratic Peoples' Republic of Korea for most blatantly false nation-title.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

WarpedNaba posted:

Ah, the Holy Roman Empire. Up there with the Democratic Peoples' Republic of Korea for most blatantly false nation-title.

The HRE wasn't Byzantine, the Byzantines were the first ones saying the HRE was not Roman (cuz they were Roman.)

They had a war over it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Don't you have some philosophy to write Voltaire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Kill All Cops posted:

this made the rounds on twitter a couple days ago

it's weird how the consensus from chinese twitter accounts was that the chinese photographer forced the models to squint their eyes to look more ugly and demonic, to stereotype the oriental style, when it's probably chinese people getting bombarded by modern day beautification apps and photoshops that tend to enlarge eyes causing to have weird beauty standards

Everything is an insult to China, and not that the high-fashion industry often picks models with facial structures one would call . . . unique. Hell, some of them are next-door to randomly maxing out the sliders on character creation apps in games because they have been specifically chosen to stand out*.

*high fashion models are either chosen to be blank slates to hang clothes off of, or they're people with extreme facial features to really stand out/draw the eye in. It's all about the purpose of the specific product, or the ad campaign. GIS "weird model face" and enter into the uncanny valley.