Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Andoman posted:

My 3 have a cupboard they like to push balls under - pulled 9 of them out from under there yesterday, which was confusing because I didn't know we owned 9 balls.

They multiply on their own. I think they come from missing socks.

Random tennis balls and a baseball that I know I never purchased always turn up in places when I'm looking for <toy> that went under the couch or cupboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

AlexDeGruven posted:

They multiply on their own. I think they come from missing socks.

Random tennis balls and a baseball that I know I never purchased always turn up in places when I'm looking for <toy> that went under the couch or cupboard.

That makes sense - there are a lot of missing socks!

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

My 2 year old Cockerpoo is off to Doggy hospital in the morning , feeling very nervous - he has massive separation anxiety and they may need to keep him overnight.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

nobody knows what my puppy is. scientists are baffled...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lpzie posted:

nobody knows what my puppy is. scientists are baffled...

Are you sure it's a dog? Maybe you got a capybara by accident.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

My bundle of fluff is back from the doggy hospital. Bizarrely he seemed to enjoy the experience; even though he had joint taps, MRI scans and x-rays he was still happy to be playing with the Vet when I picked him up. He has been diagnosed with Immune Mediated Poly Arthritis (IMPA) - thankfully looks like we caught it fairly early.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
My puppy is now just over a year old and started showing aggression towards dogs two days ago, starting with an encounter at a dog park with a smaller dog where he pinned it down and aggressively barked at and everyone else around. Then yesterday at the thanksgiving meal he showed the exact same behavior with an in tact 5 month old male puppy. I am at a loss of what to do or why this started happening out of the blue. My dog is still in tact and is scheduled for his neutering in January. I assume this is where I find a credible behaviorist to help out, but given that the reaction has only ever happened with two dogs and he is normally submissive and playful with all other dogs, I am not positive how we will recreate the situation. Any advice would be appreciated here.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

vs Dinosaurs posted:

My puppy is now just over a year old and started showing aggression towards dogs two days ago, starting with an encounter at a dog park with a smaller dog where he pinned it down and aggressively barked at and everyone else around. Then yesterday at the thanksgiving meal he showed the exact same behavior with an in tact 5 month old male puppy. I am at a loss of what to do or why this started happening out of the blue. My dog is still in tact and is scheduled for his neutering in January. I assume this is where I find a credible behaviorist to help out, but given that the reaction has only ever happened with two dogs and he is normally submissive and playful with all other dogs, I am not positive how we will recreate the situation. Any advice would be appreciated here.

Whilst it is possible that this is a reaction to meeting other intact dogs at 12 months old its not necessarily the reason. Just like us, sometimes dogs can just have an off day or two and return to normal service pretty quickly. However if it persists more than a couple of incidents its worth looking at in more detail.

Assuming he has met other intact males recently and not reacted then it is certainly worth looking at other possibilities. Often a change in behavior, particularly into aggression from a dog that is not normally aggressive if a sign that something has unsettled the dog. It would be good if you could recollect exactly what your dog was doing just before the aggression to help rule out issues such as hyper-arousal.

Another possible explanation for a behavioral change is that your dog is in pain. If this persists you should see your vet and explicitly ask for blood tests to rule out any underlying issues.

Hope that helps

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
We have an extremely established routine which was changed on both of those days. He met many new people and was going generally bananas before both incidents. I’ll do some research into hyper arousal to see what I can do to prevent this from happening again.

I really appreciate the reply, this has been a pretty disturbing change of events!

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

vs Dinosaurs posted:

We have an extremely established routine which was changed on both of those days. He met many new people and was going generally bananas before both incidents. I’ll do some research into hyper arousal to see what I can do to prevent this from happening again.

I really appreciate the reply, this has been a pretty disturbing change of events!

That is most likely the cause then. If your dog was unsettled or stressed by the change in routine they could manifest that behaviour. Introduce changes to routine slowly if you can and that will help your dog adapt - also pair routine changes with rewards to make it a a positive experience.

Andoman fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 26, 2021

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

A year old is when pups are starting to reach social maturity and often no longer want to play with random other dogs. Dog puberty can be rough too so he might just have had a teen butthead moment when he was already amped up. I would not put him in situations where he's going to be hyped up around other dogs and work on calling him off of situations when you see tensions growing. That might mean that you need to put in some work to learn to read his body language better so you can intervene before he can blow up. Again, I think his dog park days are done at least for now but plenty of dogs are dog selective and lead perfectly normal lives complete with dog friends.

Grisha Stewart's BAT books and Leslie McDevitt's Control Unleashed books are my favorites for dogs that sometimes have big feelings about things.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
It sounds like you figured out what happened in this situation but don't forget that as a general rule of thumb, not all dogs are gonna be friends with all dogs. Imagine if you were expected to hug and kiss and be friends with every person you met, sometimes it just ain't gonna happen, so yeah learn their body language and keep a close eye when they're meeting new dogs or in new social situations

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
My mom's visiting for Thanksgiving this week. While Kepler has had a few visitors in the house before and warmed up to them quickly (and he loves my mom), he has an annoying habit of waking up every morning and forgetting that another human is in the house.

He's been barking and growling and carrying on as soon as he hears her moving around upstairs, as if a DANGEROUS INTRUDER has entered the building. Once he actually sees her, he's fine. I wonder if he doesn't understand that the upstairs doesn't have an exterior exit point. He never gets to go up there, so I guess he wouldn't know.

Three mornings in a row so far. I wonder how long this will go on.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
How do I get my dog to accept guests?
I live in an apartment and he sees people all the time, generally a little timid but warms up. But if someone comes into our apartment he'll just post up and start barking. If you give him treats he'll gladly accept them and then go back to barking.
He has to be put in a bedroom until guests leave.
The weird thing is he does this even with people he knows. Like maintenance people. He sees them all the time, happily says hi, but if they enter the apartment it's bork o'clock.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

HootTheOwl posted:

How do I get my dog to accept guests?
I live in an apartment and he sees people all the time, generally a little timid but warms up. But if someone comes into our apartment he'll just post up and start barking. If you give him treats he'll gladly accept them and then go back to barking.
He has to be put in a bedroom until guests leave.
The weird thing is he does this even with people he knows. Like maintenance people. He sees them all the time, happily says hi, but if they enter the apartment it's bork o'clock.

Tough one but you need to desensitise your dog to visitors. If you can rope a friendly visitor into helping you one way is to get the visitor to arrive, let them give the treats to your dog and then leave pretty quickly. Get them to come back a few minutes later, rinse and repeat. Gradually build up the duration they stay. No quick fix for this I’m afraid

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

:swoon:

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

This dog showed up on my grandmother's ranch on Wednesday.

He's better behaved than my two dogs, super sweet and just keeps close while walking around.

It got real cold on Friday, so I made him a nest with a comforter and a horse blanket to keep him warm. He was just happy to have a full belly and a friendly pat.

I hate this dog, because I can't have another dog in my house but I already love him :smith:

(I didn't ask him to get in the truck, he just did.)

I got him his shots this morning and I'm taking him home with me tomorrow, hopefully I can find him a perfect home with someone else

or I'll just have even more too many dogs

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Congratulations on your new dog!

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

Friend posted:

or I'll just have even more too many dogs

My bet is more too many dogs. Congratulations, they look super cute.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
I have a nearly-fully-grown (48 lb), 10 month old Goldendoodle and 8 weeks ago my wife and I had to spend a week in the hospital with our premature baby. We left the dog with friends and when we got back he was having major gastrointestinal issues. His stool was never particularly solid but I had chalked it up to being a puppy, but now it was a mucousy-bloody-mess.

I put him on chicken, rice, pumpkin, and a probiotic and it mostly cleared him up. Slowly tried reintroducing his kibble (Hills Science Diet for puppies) but when I got to about 50% kibble, 50% chicken/rice/pumpkin he started having issues again.

Talked to the vet and she suggested Hills Prescription GI. Got a bag and started mixing it in with the chicken/rice and it did wonders for his gut. The problem now is that once I got it to about 75% kibble, 25% chicken/rice he started losing interest. With pure kibble he really isn't interested - he pokes around a bit but maybe eats half a cup to a cup over a whole day (he should be eating 4). One day he ate nearly nothing.

It's only been 4 days on pure kibble - does this just take time? My strategy so far is to not introduce any chicken/rice/treats/anything else and just wait him out. But I want to make sure that this waiting game isn't harmful/futile.

edit: he's cute as heck, if that helps

Turds in magma fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 29, 2021

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Friend posted:

This dog showed up on my grandmother's ranch on Wednesday.
That's a super cool dog, but are you sure he doesn't already have a home? He might have a heartbroken family looking desperately for him.

At least take him to a vet and have them scan for a microchip. Most places will do that for free.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Turds in magma posted:

I have a nearly-fully-grown (48 lb), 10 month old Goldendoodle and 8 weeks ago my wife and I had to spend a week in the hospital with our premature baby. We left the dog with friends and when we got back he was having major gastrointestinal issues. His stool was never particularly solid but I had chalked it up to being a puppy, but now it was a mucousy-bloody-mess.

I put him on chicken, rice, pumpkin, and a probiotic and it mostly cleared him up. Slowly tried reintroducing his kibble (Hills Science Diet for puppies) but when I got to about 50% kibble, 50% chicken/rice/pumpkin he started having issues again.

Talked to the vet and she suggested Hills Prescription GI. Got a bag and started mixing it in with the chicken/rice and it did wonders for his gut. The problem now is that once I got it to about 75% kibble, 25% chicken/rice he started losing interest. With pure kibble he really isn't interested - he pokes around a bit but maybe eats half a cup to a cup over a whole day (he should be eating 4). One day he ate nearly nothing.

It's only been 4 days on pure kibble - does this just take time? My strategy so far is to not introduce any chicken/rice/treats/anything else and just wait him out. But I want to make sure that this waiting game isn't harmful/futile.

4 cups is a huge amount to be feeding a 48 lb dog unless his food is super low calorie. My 92 lb working great pyrenees maintains weight on 4 cups of food. If he's only eating a cup I'd feed him a cup and pick it up after 15 minutes. If you want to feed twice a day put down any leftovers for a second meal and give him another 15 minutes. Once he's polishing off the amount he's getting promptly you can adjust amounts up if he's getting skinny. You may also need to switch brands if he's never had good stool on the science diet.

XRoja
Jan 8, 2002
Grimey Drawer

Instant Jellyfish posted:

A year old is when pups are starting to reach social maturity and often no longer want to play with random other dogs.

God, I hope this is true. We have a 5 month old cavapoo and whenever we're out on walks he gets very happy-excited to see other dogs. He pulls and wants to jump at and lick their face or, when they're bigger, walk under them and smell their crotch. 98% of the time this energy is not reciprocated and I feel bad for subjecting all these nice calm dogs to my nutball puppy. I don't know what to do about this. Should I be actively redirecting him and not allowing him to approach other dogs? Is this just a puppy thing and he'll grow out of it eventually?

I've taken him to a few puppy socialization classes and he does good there. Is that the only place he should be allowed to get his energy up around other dogs?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Turds in magma posted:

Your dog won't starve themselves to death, and probably doesn't like the kibble as much as the good stuff. Would you?
My dog can get picky with kibble too and it's not uncommon for him to skip a meal sometimes a whole day. As long as your dog remains energetic and isn't literally killing themselves it's fine. Don't worry about it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

XRoja posted:

God, I hope this is true. We have a 5 month old cavapoo and whenever we're out on walks he gets very happy-excited to see other dogs. He pulls and wants to jump at and lick their face or, when they're bigger, walk under them and smell their crotch. 98% of the time this energy is not reciprocated and I feel bad for subjecting all these nice calm dogs to my nutball puppy. I don't know what to do about this. Should I be actively redirecting him and not allowing him to approach other dogs? Is this just a puppy thing and he'll grow out of it eventually?

I've taken him to a few puppy socialization classes and he does good there. Is that the only place he should be allowed to get his energy up around other dogs?

If the dog doesn't react to a puppy getting in their face, or if they reciprocate that energy, then let 'em! If the dog isn't interested in playing with puppies, then in my experience, they'll generally be capable of telling the puppy so. I've seen plenty of dogs get growled/barked at, swatted, or even pinned by another dog. The "assaulted" dog will back off for all of five seconds, then come back ready for more, maybe with a bit more politeness. It's all part of the learning process for the puppy.

That said, I'm assuming the other dog's owner is a good owner and knows their dog well. Some owners will say "oh, my dog is good with other dogs" or "my dog wouldn't hurt anyone", and then the dog will react violently (to any stimulus, not necessarily a puppy). Learning to read dog body language can be a big help in avoiding encounters with those kinds of dogs.

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

To start with restrict that interaction to maybe 10 seconds or so - the dog will have learned everything it needs to from sniffing in that time so they get the interaction without it being too long as to turn into over excitement. If you can’t recall your dog away from that kind of interaction it’s best to avoid it until the recall is stronger.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Instant Jellyfish posted:

4 cups is a huge amount to be feeding a 48 lb dog unless his food is super low calorie. My 92 lb working great pyrenees maintains weight on 4 cups of food. If he's only eating a cup I'd feed him a cup and pick it up after 15 minutes. If you want to feed twice a day put down any leftovers for a second meal and give him another 15 minutes. Once he's polishing off the amount he's getting promptly you can adjust amounts up if he's getting skinny. You may also need to switch brands if he's never had good stool on the science diet.

I was working off of this - https://vet.osu.edu/vmc/companion/our-services/nutrition-support-service/basic-calorie-calculator - which works out to between 3 and 4 cups depending on whether you consider him a "Growing puppy" or an adult. I know it's a rough estimate, but 1 cup seemed like not very much.

Stool has been fine on this version of Hills. It's not cheap, though..

I may try to train the 15 minute timing, good idea.

Thanks to you and the other poster for the advice.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

Congratulations on your new dog!

Andoman posted:

My bet is more too many dogs. Congratulations, they look super cute.

Thankfully the other dogs love him. Fingers crossed my father in law will decide to take him in!

WhiteHowler posted:

That's a super cool dog, but are you sure he doesn't already have a home? He might have a heartbroken family looking desperately for him.

At least take him to a vet and have them scan for a microchip. Most places will do that for free.

He was out in the country where people dump dogs a lot and don't really chip them, he basically showed up one night with no intention of leaving even before we fed him and showed affection. He wasn't fixed, super skinny, and had a cut in his ear with a really nasty infection so I didn't have much reason to think he was anything but an unwanted dog. That said, he's apparently either already house-trained or naturally a Very Good Boy so I'm for sure gonna get him checked for a chip just in case.

Unfortunately there isn't really a good way to find any previous owners in that area other than that, but I can guarantee he'll have a happy life.

Friend fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 30, 2021

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

[quote="Friend" post="""]

but I can guarantee he'll have a happy life.

[/quote]

That is very heartwarming to hear.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Friend posted:

He was out in the country where people dump dogs a lot and don't really chip them, he basically showed up one night with no intention of leaving even before we fed him and showed affection. He wasn't fixed, super skinny, and had a cut in his ear with a really nasty infection so I didn't have much reason to think he was anything but an unwanted dog. That said, he's apparently either already house-trained or naturally a Very Good Boy so I'm for sure gonna get him checked for a chip just in case.

Unfortunately there isn't really a good way to find any previous owners in that area other than that, but I can guarantee he'll have a happy life.
Fair enough, he just seems like Someone's Dog. But if the scan comes up empty and nobody comes looking for him, I'm sure you'll find him a wonderful home.

You're gonna have a new dog, aren't you.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
We got a new puppy on Friday and she doesn't like peanut butter or treats, which is insane to me. She'll eat her kibble though. It's a problem though since we can't use treats for training as she doesn't eat them. Worse, she currently has parasitic infection that we're trying to treat, which means pilling her daily and the go-to I used with our last dog ("crunchy" peanut butter snack) is a no go.

In the process of troubleshooting I found she likes canned cheese, but it's not sticky enough to pill. I was able to wrap the pill bits in a sphere of cream cheese spread and she likes that, and it's sufficiently sticky that she licks it all down. Problem solved!

That said, cream cheese spread isn't exactly convenient to have on hand for training and while I don't think there's an immediate safety issue with it, I'm not sure how much dairy I want her to consume off the bat. With that in mind, do you have any treat recommendations I can try? Biscuits and Zuke's are out. I haven't tried pupperoni but I'm wanting to hold off on that for a bit. Are dog yogurt bites a thing?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Is there any human food she seems interested in that you otherwise wouldn't think of? My current puppy goes apeshit for regular rear end bread, he got wise to the pills-in-peanut butter trick and started spitting out the pills but once we started wrapping it in bread he scarfed them down happily.

Otherwise I'd maybe try filling a kong with kibble at mealtime and toss the pill in there with it? (and then of course watch to make sure she eats the pill and doesn't spit it out)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ExcessBLarg! posted:

We got a new puppy on Friday and she doesn't like peanut butter or treats, which is insane to me. She'll eat her kibble though. It's a problem though since we can't use treats for training as she doesn't eat them.

Figure out what she does like, and reward her with that. It doesn't have to be food, it could be getting called a good girl, petting, getting a ball thrown for her, playing a session of tug, etc

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Yeah, we're giving her lots of praise right now. She's actually like 90% for potty outside despite the diarrhea so it's not as bad as it could be. She's already figured out "sit" for us.

Bread is an interesting one. I haven't tried goldfish yet and am kind of putting that one off too due to the salt content, but our son used to love feeding our last dog his goldfish snacks and she used to love sitting next to him and eating them, so it's inevitable that will happen here too.

(Last dog pup passed a few months ago at the ripe age of three. That one still stings, a lot.)

Andoman
Nov 7, 2021

You can train with Kibble - just use one piece as a time as a reward

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

My childhood dog took her old lady pills wrapped in a kraft single. Maybe that's similar enough to canned cheese?

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

She'll probably get more interested in treats as she settles in. Don't panic yet! Feel free to just portion out her kibble for the day and use that to train if she likes her kibble. I'm sure they make baby yogurt drops that she can have as treats or you can get a gotoob to squirt out little bits of cream cheese for her to lick.

Top 5 for my dogs are: hot dogs, canned or frozen pre-cooked chicken, cheese in any form (cheese wow! in a spray can is a lifesaver for vet visits), dried or baked liver, and mini marshmallows. Cheerios or peanut butter crunch cereal are popular around here and nicely visible on dark surfaces. A bit of salmon cream cheese frozen on a lickimat is fantastic for keeping the dogs occupied during grooming and nail trims. I also use tiny cat food kibbles in my treat n train/manners minder because dog treats always jam it up. Braunschweiger was my nuclear option when doing reactive dog classes. I should note that my dogs are all trashcans who don't get urpy easily and have never had issues keeping their weight down. My oldest dog has literally never had diarrhea in the 11 years I have had him. Make sure you're doing little tiny bits for training and only use fatty things sparingly.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
My hard to pill dog will (mostly) eat pills if they are hidden in a piece of sting cheese. Those are nice for training too because you can cut them into pretty small pieces and the dog still thinks they are the best thing ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
One trick I learned with my dog, who is the type to lick the peanut butter off a pill and then drop the pill: I give him the pill and then one of my fingers, which still has peanut butter on it from smearing it on the pill. He'll happily lick the finger more-or-less clean, and in the process will forget that he's trying to avoid swallowing the pill.