Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Ha, I didn't realize Poland had one of those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

the (now defunct) website linked on there also has some pretty cool gifs:

Turns out the woman behind that drives a similarly wild van around. Per the article I found this picture in she is also a covid denialist, no surprises there

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Driving state to state in my giant bottle of Dr. Bronner's 18-in-1 Lung Tar Soap

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

lol @ Belgium not getting poo poo

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Why does Fort Worth of all places get the only insulting nickname? It just barely stopped being majority chud in the past election or two.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Why does Fort Worth of all places get the only insulting nickname? It just barely stopped being majority chud in the past election or two.
Betrayal hurts. No one expects anything of Austin, Fort Worth stood up against tyranny and then buckled.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The ideal society consists of conspiracy theorists who generally die of lung cancer at age 45, anything else is Nazism

Change my mind, oh wait you can't as I have an untreated mentall illness :smug:

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

System Metternich posted:

the (now defunct) website linked on there also has some pretty cool gifs:

Turns out the woman behind that drives a similarly wild van around. Per the article I found this picture in she is also a covid denialist, no surprises there

imagine getting to look at her brain after she dies of smoking related illness

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

German't

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Tei posted:

German't

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
lol at (nicht deustchland)

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Belgium gettin some here

Source

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Negostrike posted:

Belgium gettin some here

Source

*triggered in Gustav II Adolf :sweden:*

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

What gets me is how the city names in Texas are splayed around in very much not the spots where the cities are. Fort Worthless is way north of Waco and Austin. The other states have the excuse where they look more like lists, although you still have the issue of like Montgomery being above Birmingham when it's supposed to be further south. And why are the state names at the bottom?

Also pulling back, it really demonstrates how much things have changed and how successful anti-smoking campaigns have been. Smoking has dramatically declined and is still following, and it's very unusual for people to have this strong feelings for pro-smoking. This is otherwise a done fight. It's a bit inspirational.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Philadelphia still has bars where you can smoke inside.

Very, very few, but they exist, and are open to the public.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

At least Billund is juuust about included in Klemmbausteinland

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Philadelphia still has bars where you can smoke inside.

Very, very few, but they exist, and are open to the public.

Yeah in PA you can allow smoking inside if the bar does not serve (much) food, and is 21+ only.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Having been born in the 90s it’s crazy to imagine how you oldsters lived in a smokey haze 24/7.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

I was sooo glad when indoors smoking got banned, I hated having to wash every piece of clothing and my hairs every time I went anywhere. I still remember the smoking compartments on trains as well, poo poo was nasty

e: and as a 1988 vintage I'm not even that old :corsair:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

The stench of smoke from contaminated clothing somehow transferred to everything they came in contact with as well.

I was on a business trip in Vienna a few years ago and brought enough clothing to change once a day, but then lunch and evening meals were done in restaurants with indoor smoking and everything reeked. I felt so miserable with a constant migraine and had to pretend to not feel like dying in front of business partners. gently caress me that was miserable.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Having been born in the 90s it’s crazy to imagine how you oldsters lived in a smokey haze 24/7.

I used to work charity bingos (I was born in 1980 so this was in the late 90s) and I felt like I'd eaten a pack of cigarettes every night. You'd see people alternating their cigarette puffs with their oxygen masks.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Antigravitas posted:

The stench of smoke from contaminated clothing somehow transferred to everything they came in contact with as well.

Yeah, I just washed everything ASAP if I was wearing it to a bar or concert venue. Just straight in a plastic bag when I came home, wash the next day, don't let it anywhere near my other clothes. If I had left my jacket in the wardrobe, usually just hanging it to air outside or in the drying loft would be enough, but sometimes it would be put right next to some super stinky overcoat and have to go in the wash too.

Plenty of smokers I knew also avoided the rail cars for smokers, they were that bad.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Phlegmish posted:

The ideal society consists of conspiracy theorists who generally die of lung cancer at age 45, anything else is Nazism

Ehh people usually made it to 60-70 even back in the two packs a day days. Maybe there's a lesson to be seen in omnipresent smoking slowing down the rise in life expectancy modern medicine brought? What if we have a system that's built on smoking, and anti-smoking campaigns have undermined our socio-economic basis? I feel like I'm on to something

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

Plenty of smokers I knew also avoided the rail cars for smokers, they were that bad.

I am a smoker and I once went to the very small, cramped smoking cabin (more like a converted broom closet or whatever) at the airport because I needed my nicotine fix, and my Lord was that the most depressing place I've ever been in. A dozen people standing uncomfortably close, no one talking, everyone avoiding eye contact like we might as well have been naked, and the stench was one of moldy people and desperation. I didn't even finish my cigarette.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

long-rear end explanation of anthrosophy

Thanks. I'm even more amused now of how in Humboldt's Gift, Charlie Citrine's friends frequently urge him to stop being interested in anthrosophy so much because it makes him look both very weird and extremely boring, and now I understand why.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Having been born in the late 80's I can recall it still being a thing in some places when I was little. Like the local pizza joint had the smoking section up front (indoors!).
But by the other end of the 90's that poo poo just was gonnnnnne everywhere.

:hfive:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I went to Copenhagen a few years back to hang out with a friend who was living and studying there.

Apparently over there you can only smoke in tiny bars, at least according to my friend who was a philosophy student and as such well versed in hanging out in bars. Something to do with bars that don't have room for or access to a separate outside smoking area being allowed to just ignore the law.

One night we went to the shittiest sweatiest karaoke bar imaginable (and somehow the only one in the city) . Everyone inside was smoking. Just a constant fog over the entire room.

Also an old lady licked my friend's eyeball.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
My whole family smoked. I vividly recall going to a wake when I was like 6 - and the smoke was so dense after everyone lit up inside it was opaque and you needed to use your arms to fan the smoke so you could talk to the person next to you.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

The anti-fascist protection wall was first confusing, but then I realized it was intended to keep the saxons IN.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

FreudianSlippers posted:

I went to Copenhagen a few years back to hang out with a friend who was living and studying there.

Apparently over there you can only smoke in tiny bars, at least according to my friend who was a philosophy student and as such well versed in hanging out in bars. Something to do with bars that don't have room for or access to a separate outside smoking area being allowed to just ignore the law.

One night we went to the shittiest sweatiest karaoke bar imaginable (and somehow the only one in the city) . Everyone inside was smoking. Just a constant fog over the entire room.
It's not really ignoring the law, the law just has a an exception for small bars. Any business with a serving area over 40m2 can't allow smoking, any business which only serves drinks and has a smaller seating area can allow it.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Letmebefrank posted:

The anti-fascist protection wall was first confusing, but then I realized it was intended to keep the saxons IN.

Correct. There's a changelog somewhere but it's fragmented across multiple posts.

Among other things:

Saarland was abolished, then later reinstated as a gigantic Kaufland
Bavaria was traded for Elsass-Lothringen, but without Franconia
Lower Saxony was flooded to create a large off-shore wind park, Sylt was relocated to house people convicted of tax evasion
Denmark joined Legoland somehow, but was renamed to avoid copyright claims
Some state I don't remember the name of was divided equally among its neighbours
Saxony was renamed and walled in
That whole North-Rihne West-Falia, South-Rhine East-Falia business…

And then someone decided that the borders were too jagged and they should be smoothed…

All in all an extremely hosed-up map.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm a smoker, and it is nice when you're drinking at a bar and it's 10-40 degrees out to be able to just smoke without freezing and being punished for your sin. But I have no illusions. It's gross. It's really gross. I would never wear a nice outer garment to a smoking bar and I always change immediately after getting home.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Is Freistaat Chchc a reference to the impossible-to-understand Swissdeutsch?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Yes, they have lots of ch and pronounce it differently. It's a profoundly weird language to Germans because it's almost, but not quite, entirely like German, except impossible to understand.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Speak for yourself, I am German and will occasionally watch Swiss TV where I understand most of it :colbert: then again Swiss German is part of the Upper German dialect continuum to which I as a Bavarian belong myself, so maybe that and the fact that I used to live in Südbaden for a while gave me a bit of an advantage in that regard

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Speak for yourself, I am German and will occasionally watch Swiss TV where I understand most of it :colbert: then again Swiss German is part of the Upper German dialect continuum to which I as a Bavarian belong myself, so maybe that and the fact that I used to live in Südbaden for a while gave me a bit of an advantage in that regard

This is a good user name + post combo

(and yes I know Metternich was Austrian but let's not get technical here)

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Is it that time of year again?
I once saw a synchronized episode of a Swiss series (Fascht e Familiä) on German TV. It was in Bavarian 🤷‍♂️.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Mano posted:

Is it that time of year again?
I once saw a synchronized episode of a Swiss series (Fascht e Familiä) on German TV. It was in Bavarian 🤷‍♂️.

lol what :psyduck: