Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I tried reading this guy’s timeline but it’s the most boring and tedious poo poo I’ve ever seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/amconmag/status/1462118546205466629

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

The difference I make between far right-wingers and fascists is that far right wingers want fascism but don't want to put in the effort to make it happen

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Paul Gottfried, the author of that piece, wrote a book with that thesis about five years ago. He’s probably most famous for being Richard Spencer’s dissertation director and faculty advisor at Duke.

coathat
May 21, 2007

There are significant differences between Nazism and fascism especially in the italian case.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i want to defend the american conservative because it's an outlet which sometimes gives space to viewpoints critical of the psychotic US mainstream in useful ways

this does not seem to be one of those times, though

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Fascists walk like this

But far right conservatives walk like this

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 28 minutes!
Nazis are hanged by the neck.

Fascists are hanged by the feet.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

Fascists walk like this

But far right conservatives walk like this

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Platystemon posted:

I was going to make a suicide vs beaten to death by a mob, but this one is so much better.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Conditional cash transfer programs are supposed to help the most vulnerable families

I wish one of the conditions of that program is for the parents to stop at one child only. Like Singapore provide incentives for voluntary sterilization if the couple enjoy loving.

If they're so poor that there is a program to give them a safety net then what business do they have to have more than one kid?

Having any more kids guarantees them begging, taking out multiple loans, and shaking down their own children, their brothers, sisters, cousins, extended family, and even friends and acquaintances for hand-outs, every two weeks, for the next quarter century or more.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/GrayConnolly/status/1462206280630607874?s=20

Persiflagist
Mar 7, 2013

very cool and normal. definitely not literally horseshoe... yep no way that he just got bodied. oh wait

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the british press have completely ruined this american man who lives in americas mind lol

https://twitter.com/jw_pincus/status/1462234001754648577?s=20

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Please name one of Corbyn's crimes. Just one.

gently caress these idiots just so much.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
hurting people's feelings is a prosecutable offense in England. Corbyn needs to run

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
"40% of British Jewry"

:thunk:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Flesh Forge posted:

"40% of British Jewry"

Have you seen their twitter handle? How DARE you!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

"40% of British Jewry"

it was a poll of readers of the jewish chronicle which is run by a load of fascists who absolutely hate corbyn

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Correct me if I'm wrong toast sandwich eating limeys but isn't Corbyn basically a non-entity in your politics now?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong toast sandwich eating limeys but isn't Corbyn basically a non-entity in your politics now?

Yup, but the Corbyn antisemitism thing was only ever a smokescreen and almost everyone involved knew it.

The only people who actually believed it are incredibly gullible and just can't understand why the guy they were told is Hitler 2.0 is being left alone.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

tokin opposition posted:

The guy who replaced him as labour party leader is also basically a non-entity so the corbyn derangement people have nothing better to do

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Necrothatcher posted:

Yup, but the Corbyn antisemitism thing was only ever a smokescreen and almost everyone involved knew it.

The only people who actually believed it are incredibly gullible and just can't understand why the guy they were told is Hitler 2.0 is being left alone.

I think dismissing it as pure gullibility isn't a great idea. There are posters in the UK threads who arrived thinking Corbyn was a genuine threat to their safety, were met with pages of frantic and forthright rebuttal, and engaged in good faith to come back in a short space of time and say "I think my previous opinions were wrong".

I'm not saying everyone can be won round (my experiences with former- labour-identifying right wingers in 2019 was that these people are the most arrogant, incurious and smug bastards to walk the earth), or that a lot of people aren't gullible - but it's important to remember that, outside of those little islands of committed leftist activism in the world, a captured and coordinated media is incredibly good at spreading disinformation, and at priming all but the most excessively good-faith people to view any hostile response to that propaganda as hostility to the outgroup or their own identity.

E; oh this isn't the UK thread

Spangly A has issued a correction as of 00:27 on Nov 22, 2021

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
I have never even seen a good argument for what threat he presented. The worst accusations I ever saw was that some members of his party made antisemitic statements and he insufficiently condemned them.

Everything around that was a bunch of huffed up fear mongering about the dangerous environment he represented in a very fact-free way.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
He politely asked Israel to stop genociding the Palestinians, if they could please see their way to it, if it's not too much trouble.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

NightGyr posted:

I have never even seen a good argument for what threat he presented. The worst accusations I ever saw was that some members of his party made antisemitic statements and he insufficiently condemned them.

Everything around that was a bunch of huffed up fear mongering about the dangerous environment he represented in a very fact-free way.

1. he negotiated with the IRA. Problem is that Thatcher also did this

2. he uttered the phrase "friends" while in a conference where members of Hamas were in attendance, implying that he wants to be friends with Hamas. Problem is that this was during a Palestinian peace event. I guess even attending a Palestinian peace event is by itself problematic in the eyes of these people

in any case who doesn't want to be friends with Hamas?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Not sure I even want to know the source

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Milo and POTUS posted:

Not sure I even want to know the source

quote:

This study shows that the poorest households have the most number of kids while the richest have the least.

When unskilled/uneducated persons have families they tend to have a lot of kids. Their low pay compounded by having more than 1 kid perpetuates generational poverty.

Only way any household to improve their economic life is to upskill the parents or the kids. That is difficult to do when the nutrition received by the kids is not complete to prevent childhood physical/mental stunting. No matter the per student spend if the kid is stunted then they will have difficulty learning & retaining high value skills.

Per student spend for public education is sourced from taxes or govt loans. Right now the tax base is really narrow so you either increase the taxes of the current tax base, expand the tax base by covering all income brackets or increase number of higher wage earners by increasing number of skilled workers or you lessen the student numbers by having less babies.

The cheapest & most direct way to help is to cap number of children to 1 for the bottom 20% of all households.

Many countries have population policies that promote a 1 child or 2 child policy. These countries leap frog us.

Many will point to a demographic crisis but that problem only occurred half a century later. This is just me but I wouldn't mind that problem by 2070 rather than the problem we have now.

There are households that are so poor that govt needs to give them conditional cash support. One of the conditions they should have included should have been limiting these households to their current set of kids or just 1.

Singapore, Korea, Taiwan, China and Japan had very aggressive population policies and see their economies be so thriviing now. Sure they have a demo crisis but can be compensated for.

Unless of course you want to reinvent the wheel to prosperity. Me, I rather try what works and what works is limiting number of kids to 1-2.

Educated & high income individuals tend to have 1-2 kids only. So it isn't too much of a stretch that the rich will voluntarily have 2 or less kids. They also avoid availing public social services as well. Opting to send their kids to private school.

The portion of society that contribues the least amount of taxable income on a per person basis should do their fair share by cutting down on how many babies they make. Ideally 1 only and not 1 dozen

quote:

Singapore's National Family Planning Programme was an integral part of the government’s social and economic development strategy following Singapore’s independence in 1965.

It allowed Singapore to grow out from being an ASEAN back water to be richest among all ASEAN nations.

Why not replicate what works and what doesnt?

China's 1 child policy worked as well as it helped their economy lift 700 million Chinese up to the middle class.

I get you dislike the concept of the bourgeois telling what the poor can or cannot do but I look at the numbers and it says if the parents of households that earn less than 0.5m/yr force all their ~dozen kids to work to support their parents & siblings then they have no business having more than 1.

That's just Budgeting 101.

quote:

What is being pointed out is that people making this little should not have more than 1 kid until such a time their household makes more than a certain amount or else they will put parental responsibilities on their kids, make them into retirement plans, be forever in debt with loan sharks and be a burden to their other family members, relatives and friends.

These are actual realities that you probably never immersed decades long yourself.

Individuals are compensated appropriately on how unique a skill set they offer.

When you are unskilled and anyone can do the task being asked then the pay will be commensurately small. Like say an farm worker whose wage is less than the minimum wage. Their labors contribute to wealth creation but anyone without any handicap or deformity can do their tasks equivalently well.

When the person is highly skilled with unique abilities then the market will pay them big.

Incentives for voluntary sterilization for social welfare recipients should be part of the conditions of this conditional financial help.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

lmao can you even loving imagine the hot takes if the US instituted a One Child policy in any form

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Spangly A posted:

I think dismissing it as pure gullibility isn't a great idea. There are posters in the UK threads who arrived thinking Corbyn was a genuine threat to their safety

yes that's gullibility

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

she's one of the future candidates for an elected position for labour lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

"having a pop" British slang needs to be destroyed

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I agree having a pop at a pub is a real limp dick move. what are you shirly temple

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

this is the british version of "small businesses are the lifeblood of our economy" lol

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Yes it is Rachel. I want every small business tyrant to lose their little dick extender

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pablo Nergigante posted:

"having a pop" British slang needs to be destroyed
what does having a pop even mean, like, it's obvious from context what is meant but I don't comprehend how that is linked to the words "having a pop"

is it rhyming slang

is it like, you punch them and it goes "pop" like a fuckin batman cartoon

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
if someone threatened to “have a pop” at me I would probably laugh, because it sounds funny and because I have absolutely dogshit self-preservation instincts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

what does having a pop even mean, like, it's obvious from context what is meant but I don't comprehend how that is linked to the words "having a pop"

is it rhyming slang

is it like, you punch them and it goes "pop" like a fuckin batman cartoon

i suppose "POP!" is the onomatopeia you'd see in old comics/cartoons/tv shows when someone got a smack so "popping someone" is hitting someone and "having a pop" is another way of saying that