Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Interesting thing about the scene in 2
"How about Dr Strange?"
"That's a great name, but it's taken!"

They actually might retcon that joke to be a real reflection of Dr Strange being in that version of the universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arist posted:

That's a much better joke though

I mean to be fair that is because JK Simmons was put on this earth specifically to be the perfected ideal of JJJ.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Alhazred posted:

They made fun of his name in the original movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YPD5gE8O-4

god why am I laughing my rear end off at "I heard SHPIDAMAN was there" ":stare:" ":catstare:"

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I LOVE that moment, the tiny implication that Robertson knows what's up. It's never followed up upon but it is better that way. It ties into that moment later when JJ purchases the abandoned suit, you silently see Robertson holding the mask in a manner of real worry.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
So we watched Zack Snyder's Justice League and we concluded it made a lot more sense, but it does drag a bit at some points.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Beachcomber posted:

So we watched Zack Snyder's Justice League and we concluded it made a lot more sense, but it does drag a bit at some points.

[ancient lamentations]

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Karloff posted:

I LOVE that moment, the tiny implication that Robertson knows what's up. It's never followed up upon but it is better that way. It ties into that moment later when JJ purchases the abandoned suit, you silently see Robertson holding the mask in a manner of real worry.

I hate that Robbie doesn't get more time in the movies, he was always one of my favorite supporting characters. Also he sounds so hilariously sad that he heard Spider-Man was there.

Anyway,

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rip Bill Nunn

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Soonmot posted:

[ancient lamentations]

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You've got a strong musk when you can wear a sweater in the ocean and it doesn't just smell like the ocean.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Lobok posted:

You've got a strong musk when you can wear a sweater in the ocean and it doesn't just smell like the ocean.

So like petroleum and dead fish?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Desperado Bones posted:

So like petroleum and dead fish?

Aquaman, famous for subsisting largely on a diet of Hákarl.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Same

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Oh god, I'm a big idiot, I just realized what it looks like...she's huffing paint thinner.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo yall, Venom 2 is loving hilarious! I should have seen this in theaters, but I'm about half way through on prime and I've already had like four full on belly laughs. this is a goddamn cartoon and i love it

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Soonmot posted:

Holy poo poo yall, Venom 2 is loving hilarious! I should have seen this in theaters, but I'm about half way through on prime and I've already had like four full on belly laughs. this is a goddamn cartoon and i love it

Oh it is a fun movie!

Things I loved:

-How fleshy Carnage looks. It was creeping me out.

-Tom Hardy is loving great and so funny!

-HE SAID THE MOVIE TITLE.

-Venom and Eddie are husbands and you can't change my mind.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I think it's amazing that they build Cletus up as a genuinely frightening serial killer, but once he's out and gets his symbiote he turns into The Mask.

What a wonderful film. :allears:

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Since we're all talking up Venom 2, I wanted to add that Anne's fiancé Dan was a perfect subversion of the usual tropes you'd see in lesser action / superhero movies. He wasn't written as either an rear end in a top hat who hated Eddie or as a saccharine doofus, he helped move the plot forward when needed, and in the end he also risks his life to help Anne. All that thankfully allowed no real hint of WILL EDDIE GET ANNE BACK no of course not, she doesn't hate him but she's an adult who moved on and found another guy and Dan rules.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Yep - I liked the same thing with Bobby Carnavale's character in Ant-Man.

So many times you have the new stepdad being some kind of antagonist like Liar Liar or Mrs Doubtfire or something - but he's just presented as a guy that cares about Cassie and isn't pointlessly butting heads with Scott beyond what he has to for his job.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

But Liar Liar is one other example where that's not the case.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah I'm talking poo poo. I've not seen it since I was a kid and really remember routing for Carrey. My bad

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Cael posted:

Since we're all talking up Venom 2, I wanted to add that Anne's fiancé Dan was a perfect subversion of the usual tropes you'd see in lesser action / superhero movies. He wasn't written as either an rear end in a top hat who hated Eddie or as a saccharine doofus, he helped move the plot forward when needed, and in the end he also risks his life to help Anne. All that thankfully allowed no real hint of WILL EDDIE GET ANNE BACK no of course not, she doesn't hate him but she's an adult who moved on and found another guy and Dan rules.

I only just saw the first film the other week and was shocked when Dan didn't turn out to be a slimeball purely because Veep Dan is so ingrained in my mind whenever I see him. Him being nice and helpful felt like a fundamental law of the universe being broken.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aphrodite posted:

I don't think Mrs. Doubtfire is either, right? Pierce Brosnan was good with the kids and seemed to treat Sally Field right. He totally didn't deserve that drive-by fruiting.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lobok posted:

I don't think Mrs. Doubtfire is either, right? Pierce Brosnan was good with the kids and seemed to treat Sally Field right. He totally didn't deserve that drive-by fruiting.

Do Field and Williams even get back together at the end? I only remember him getting his Mr Rogers knockoff in drag at the end?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Getting back together is never his goal, no. He just wants to see his kids again.

Williams and Carrey are garbage and deserve to lose in those movies really, though. Especially Mrs. Doubtfire, he tries to poison Pierce Brosnan in the restaurant.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cael posted:

Similar character: James Marsden in Superman Returns, only character I even like in the movie.

Or Judge Reinhold in The Santa Clause series which I am hereafter referring to as superhero films

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Getting back together is never his goal, no. He just wants to see his kids again.

Williams and Carrey are garbage and deserve to lose in those movies really, though. Especially Mrs. Doubtfire, he tries to poison Pierce Brosnan in the restaurant.

I mean absolutely nothing Williams does in Doubtfire is anything short of being an awful trash fire.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Similar character: James Marsden in Superman Returns, only character I even like in the movie.

Or Judge Reinhold in The Santa Clause series which I am hereafter referring to as superhero films

I was going to use Marsden in Superman Returns as an example as well. Genuine caring guy who helps out the best way he can. Much better than that creeper Superman

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Madkal posted:

Much better than that creeper Superman

It’s such a shame, since Brandon Routh is basically charisma incarnate, and was basically channeling Reeve in that role, but no amount of charm could compensate for that lacklustre script.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Phylodox posted:

It’s such a shame, since Brandon Routh is basically charisma incarnate, and was basically channeling Reeve in that role, but no amount of charm could compensate for that lacklustre script.
There was nothing redeemable about that movie IMO

I almost fell asleep in the theater

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The plane rescue was good. That’s about it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It was a fan fic film to a movie that was nearly 30 years old. Routh was imitating Reeves more than playing the character of Superman/Clark Kent. It felt like an unnecessary sequel if anything else.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Madkal posted:

It was a fan fic film to a movie that was nearly 30 years old. Routh was imitating Reeves more than playing the character of Superman/Clark Kent. It felt like an unnecessary sequel if anything else.
Yes it was just an odd choice all around

It also felt out of time or something. Like you made a 1970s Superman in the mid-aughts

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Also more Lex Luther, real estate guy. The worst lex.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I liked the weird scene with the henchman who played the piano.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Is that the first film to do that "pretend the franchise ended at the good one" sequel thing?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

twistedmentat posted:

Also more Lex Luther, real estate guy. The worst lex.

Dumbass Lex plan was pure silver age. Let's make a jagged rocky uninhabitable island where people will want to live because Superman can't fly on by.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

theironjef posted:

Is that the first film to do that "pretend the franchise ended at the good one" sequel thing?
Probably House of Frankenstein (1944), which was directly in continuity with the Frankenstein and Wolf-man series but ignored the Dracula sequels like Son of Dracula.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i used to think spacey's delivery on "WRONG!!" was great but i'm not allowed to like it anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

theironjef posted:

The Halloween franchise has done this several times.

Best part of Superman Returns was the plane rescue in 3D.