Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I'M GOOD AT MATH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Warrior being able to teleport in certain situations only was the most recent rant that cracked me up.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17OwA5Nanp0

this video is showing Hogan going into business for himself against Vader but the bigger thing is the first five seconds where Hogan sandbags the poo poo out of Vader and Vader herks him up anywhere and does a beautiful powerbomb

Hogan is not a small man, he is a legit 6'6" and thick. Vader was something else.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Hogan is poo poo, but I don't think he was really trying to sandbag in that clip. I think he just wasn't ready yet immediately, but when he goes up, he's clearly using his legs to assist the lift. The stuff after is lovely af though.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

iamsosmrt posted:

Hogan is poo poo, but I don't think he was really trying to sandbag in that clip. I think he just wasn't ready yet immediately, but when he goes up, he's clearly using his legs to assist the lift. The stuff after is lovely af though.

Once he's up, it's better to start cooperating and take it safely than still be a dick and get injured because of it, if he was indeed sandbagging.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That would be how you end up like Bob Holly versus Brock Lesnar

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
In case some people don't read the social media thread, this super clear footage of a WCW house show from 1999 was posted there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjSMlrJV5n0

Honestly looks like a blast. :)

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
https://youtu.be/4XpexUN-h-k

NFL legend Lyle alzedo is a secret pro wrestler against late 80s wcw stars.

E: this features the worst ric flair promo I’ve ever seen. How do you tell ric flair to tone it down on a syndicated family sitcom?

The American Dream fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Nov 12, 2021

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

The American Dream posted:

https://youtu.be/4XpexUN-h-k

NFL legend Lyle alzedo is a secret pro wrestler against late 80s wcw stars.

E: this features the worst ric flair promo I’ve ever seen. How do you tell ric flair to tone it down on a syndicated family sitcom?

Yeah

I watched an episode of that back in the day.

He had to hide a neck injury from the school or something.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
loving lol at the realities of hogan's contract

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-E5VkxhD4M

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
This may be the work of a PSP poster (hell, the last post in here was also by an El Generico), so my bad if it's old news, but these videos are absolutely stupendous and must-see imo.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x810e4e

I don't need to ever see a single minute of an actual broadcast. Just hook me up to Brian and Vinny and Craig analyzing/mocking retro wrestling with sync'ed up video clips. I've been cackling like a madman over the weekend, holy poo poo this is too good.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

kalensc posted:

This may be the work of a PSP poster (hell, the last post in here was also by an El Generico), so my bad if it's old news, but these videos are absolutely stupendous and must-see imo.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x810e4e

I don't need to ever see a single minute of an actual broadcast. Just hook me up to Brian and Vinny and Craig analyzing/mocking retro wrestling with sync'ed up video clips. I've been cackling like a madman over the weekend, holy poo poo this is too good.

Yep, these are mine, glad you enjoy them! I'll be working on Episode 8 today. I post them in the Podcasts thread when they're up on Dailymotion.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Generico posted:

loving lol at the realities of hogan's contract

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-E5VkxhD4M

I knew how plush it was, but even I hadn't heard about 'get $20K a month for wearing an NWO shirt.'

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

El Generico posted:

Yep, these are mine, glad you enjoy them! I'll be working on Episode 8 today. I post them in the Podcasts thread when they're up on Dailymotion.

Oh awesome, I'll bookmark that thread then, thanks! Keep up the phenomenal editing, it's simply :kiss:

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I'd also like to say thank you for those videos El Generico. :)

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Someone asked WCW Worldwide about a very specific DDP is homeless segment and it led to someone linking to a bunch of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-D8QRO81uw

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm up to December 1998 and I feel the ship approaching the iceberg.

I kinda feel that WCW, while still a poo poo show was still going well enough that you could turn it around. Just book some decent feuds on top and it would probably be okay! It's so maddening!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

algebra testes posted:

I'm up to December 1998 and I feel the ship approaching the iceberg.

I kinda feel that WCW, while still a poo poo show was still going well enough that you could turn it around. Just book some decent feuds on top and it would probably be okay! It's so maddening!

In a 30 day period WCW had 3 crowds of 20,000+ that each nearly grossed a million in gate.

The third of those crowds was January 4th 1999 at the Georgia Dome.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
The NWO stuff is really dragging by December 98. Scott and Buff are quite a fun heel double act who really don't need to be part of the NWO. Everyone else in Hollywood is just B-Team. Even the Wolfpac was losing steam as it was down to just Nash, Konnan and Luger.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

In a 30 day period WCW had 3 crowds of 20,000+ that each nearly grossed a million in gate.

The third of those crowds was January 4th 1999 at the Georgia Dome.

Oh yes, the show that saw the biggest pyro display ever for a native of Detroit (Michigan), whose accomplishments and glory in professional wrestling make him a citizen of the world, and who on that night took the biggest bump of his career.

Oh yeah, and 40,000 people realising they'd just been hosed.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Germansimp posted:

Oh yes, the show that saw the biggest pyro display ever for a native of Detroit (Michigan), whose accomplishments and glory in professional wrestling make him a citizen of the world, and who on that night took the biggest bump of his career.

Oh yeah, and 40,000 people realising they'd just been hosed.

"It was like the ending of a KISS show" was the most perfect line from Craig

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Which show was that?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Which show was that?

Fingerpoke

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Oh snap lmao

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I should probably specify, Craig's comment is about Nash's pyro before that infamous match.

Even the famous God Pyro they gave Edge for a while didn't compare to this poo poo. it was absurd. At one point even Nash turns around to look at it because he's amazed it's still going.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It’s like they had a fireworks budget for the fiscal year and if they didn’t use all of it they’d get less next time

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

the first wrestling show to be seen from space

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

the point at Hogan as an entire arsenal is going off behind him is so great

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

It really is the absurd cherry on top of the Fingerpoke, like an entrance making fun of pyro and the pomp and circumstance of entrances before the event that makes fun of the fans for investing in storylines.

sean_bateman
Feb 27, 2012

glug.gif

El Generico posted:

It really is the absurd cherry on top of the Fingerpoke, like an entrance making fun of pyro and the pomp and circumstance of entrances before the event that makes fun of the fans for investing in storylines.

:suicide:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

El Generico posted:

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I feel like the Fingerpoke wouldn't have even been that bad had they just let Goldberg come in and beat them all up, or at least run them off. Instead he was humiliated and looked like a complete loser, and he didn't even really get his revenge despite beating Hall and Nash on PPV (months later).

At least it was better than the GOLDBERG HEEL TURN which I can't rationalise at all.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I feel like the Fingerpoke wouldn't have even been that bad had they just let Goldberg come in and beat them all up, or at least run them off. Instead he was humiliated and looked like a complete loser, and he didn't even really get his revenge despite beating Hall and Nash on PPV (months later).

Also the stupidity of taking almost two hours to get across the street

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
I feel so weird that I'm probably the only person in existence that popped for the fingerpoke when it happened. "My team" stopped fighting and became friends again.

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy
My brother and I turned it off and didn't watch wrestling again till NXT started doing great things. It was the dumbest thing I saw and was like well if this is how they are going to treat things I've got better things to do.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
It was the point I quit watching WCW seriously, less because of Goldberg but because it was obvious the entire last year of nWo feuding was for absolutely nothing and there would never be a nWo/Wolfpac blowoff.

These days I can see it was a genius political move on Nash's part but who cares. By the time they did get to Hogan/Nash with a real match no one could give a poo poo.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Two Beans posted:

I feel so weird that I'm probably the only person in existence that popped for the fingerpoke when it happened. "My team" stopped fighting and became friends again.

I could be wrong but I actually think that's what they were going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Two Beans posted:

Lol yeah, you probably were the only one. It was pathetic.

Don't forget how bad the follow-up was though. Like, okay, Goldberg is just going to have a mid-card feud with Scott Hall and watch Ric Flair be the top babyface for the next couple of months? And the new champion isn't going to wrestle again until the February PPV? Why exactly should I tune in for the next two months?