Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

piL posted:

Guys, who's excited for episodes 10, 11, and 12 this weekend? :dance:

this is gonna be the longest loving year and a half of my life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Hellioning posted:

Of course, they could just be saying that, but given this year also gave us canon Leona/Diana, I am optimistic that lesbians, at least, are acceptable at Riot.

I haven't played in years but I always thought those two were sisters, like Morgana and Kayle (I think).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Big McHuge posted:

I haven't played in years but I always thought those two were sisters, like Morgana and Kayle (I think).

No, they were apparently always intended as a couple but... I dunno, whatever happened and they were just gals being pals - well, until massive religious differences set them against each other - but now they've established it used to be a romantic thing and there are probably still Feelings.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Big McHuge posted:

Nah, they're unrelated. The original designers on Leona/Diana had it in their minds that they'd be a couple, but the culture wasn't quite there yet, and it took until this year for them to finally put out a canon story (Rise With Me) that show them being in love when they were younger before religious tensions and their respective destinies pushed them apart.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Big McHuge posted:

Morgana and Kayle are sisters, but Leona and Diana never were. They were originally (at least upon Diana's release) meant to be star-crossed lovers, but Riot refused to allow them to make that canon until fairly recently, though there were hints (most notably, Leona's legendary skin has lines that imply this version also used to date her version of Diana).

See also: Twisted Fate and Graves, who writers have also mentioned were originally intended (at least on the lore retcon) to be dating but the bosses said no. Unlike Leona and Diana, those haven't gotten anything more than a couple hinty lines (MF refers to Graves as TF's 'partner' in a way that could mean either 'partner in crime' or 'romantic partner', Sentinel Graves pulls out a card from TF in his death animation), so straight up canon mlm relationships are probably unlikely anytime soon.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

It's a difficult situation. I think the will is increasingly there, but it's still a minefield to navigate in many parts of the world. Even beyond matters of censorship, I remember a former Riot writer who'd been pushing for more gay relationships mentioning on Twitter that they'd had employees in foreign offices being physically threatened over past pro-LGBTQ+ gestures Riot's made. I'm glad they're finally moving in the right direction, but it'll still likely remain glacial for years to come.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I fired this up a few nights ago just on word of mouth but not really expecting a ton. Three days later it might be one of my favorite seasons of TV ever? Besides being just astonishing to look at, the character work was really top notch. There are so many scenes I want to go back and rewatch. Just, incredible.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Did we ever get an updated link for the 4k wallpaper stuff because I want to add more from act 3

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Asema posted:

Did we ever get an updated link for the 4k wallpaper stuff because I want to add more from act 3

There's a big act 3 Google Drive link you can find here in the comments, as well as some instructions on how to make your own 4k upscaled shots if there's something you can't find.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 24, 2021

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
Finally had the time to finish act 3 and holy gently caress that cliffhanger

Incredible show all around. Some people are saying this is the best video game adaptation, but that bar is so low that's kind of unfair to Arcane. Imo, the best western animation I've seen since Spiderverse. Only problem I had was with the Imagine Dragons cameo.

So lore talk: I know nothing about LoL, but for the sake of a better story, should they make a clean break with the canon? This Seraphine talk worries me for S2...

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Personal_Nirvana posted:

So lore talk: I know nothing about LoL, but for the sake of a better story, should they make a clean break with the canon? This Seraphine talk worries me for S2...

The lore canon has been changing all the time, so it's not too hard to change it further. For what it's worth, both the Caitlyn / Jinx and Viktor / Jayce stories are already good as they are, although the show has certainly upped the stakes by tying them into civil war and WMDs. There's also a bunch of other reasonably good stories in Piltover like Camille and Orianna, the Seraphine thing is really a negative outlier because they just needed a pop star champ and had to shove it in the setting somewhere.

quote:

Finally had the time to finish act 3 and holy gently caress that cliffhanger

It's not a cliffhanger! It revolves the questions asked in the series pretty well, even though in many cases the answer is "no". I watched it before the season two announcement came out, so had no idea if they were going to revisit any of these characters at all, and I was totally satisfied. In retrospect it's pretty clear some earlier scenes were S2 setup, but the ending is perfect as it is.

That's one thing I like about this series, they dare to be a straightforward tragedy, where the inherent flaws and conflicts of characters and setting lead to inevitable doom. I hope they don't push everything to a happy end in the second (or third) season, it's just not a story that can end happily.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Seraphine's problems lie almost entirely with something that has almost certainly already been retconned in season 1 (if the source of the hextech crystals mattered, they probably would have mentioned them more than a single line about traders not usually trading them in supplemental materials).

And, yeah, Arcane season 1 already ignored canon on a lot of things (hextech's age, the aforementioned hextech origins thing, most of the champs backstories), so season 2 will probably do the same.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Rigidly sticking to some video game writers initial backstory does them no favors, people familiar would be spoiled ahead of time and it would give them little space to come up with their own ideas.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Rigidly sticking to some video game writers initial backstory does them no favors, people familiar would be spoiled ahead of time and it would give them little space to come up with their own ideas.

The original backstory writers are also working on the show, at least the ones that are still at riot, which is a surprisingly high number. For all the stories about bosses farting in people's faces, it does seem to be a project that a lot of people are passionate about.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Seeing as Riot has an MMO coming up, which will rely much more on compelling lore than some MOBA, I imagine Arcane is a big part of getting that lore in line for the MMO and that what we see here will essentialy be the new canon, at least in the parts Arcane manages to cover.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've never seen a MMO company spend hundreds of millions of dollars just to establish the lore of their fast travel system.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Man, the Ekko fight is really good to just rewatch over and over. Some people prefer Vi vs Sevika in the bar but both fights are two minutes long and while both are good animation in their own right, the Ekko fight is a far better use of those two minutes. And it has so many levels to it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkscEokV238

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DekeThornton posted:

Seeing as Riot has an MMO coming up, which will rely much more on compelling lore than some MOBA, I imagine Arcane is a big part of getting that lore in line for the MMO and that what we see here will essentialy be the new canon, at least in the parts Arcane manages to cover.

It's interesting you bring that up. Even now, people still talk about being better than WoW but I think the real money these days is trying to be the next FFXIV which has a great (mostly) story and I think if you hook them with Arcane you'd want to reel them in with something like that.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I played a lot of WoW, years ago, but I really can't imagine getting into that type of gameplay loop again, where the focus is mostly on gear progression and end game raiding (or PvP). If I were to get into a new MMO it would have to be something much more story focused, preferably with the option to play completely solo, along the lines of what they try to do with Star Wars ToR.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I've never seen a MMO company spend hundreds of millions of dollars just to establish the lore of their fast travel system.

this made me chuckle

I wonder if the investment has been worth it for Riot. We know that the $$$ involved was greater than a normal animation series and it seems to have paid off but I'm wondering about the actual metrics for it. I wanna know about that uptick in players and money being spent but that's just general curiosity more than anything.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Riot probably realized that the only MMO's that have gotten their feet off the ground outside of the firstcomers like everquest and eve these days have already established worlds that are enticing enough that people want to dig deeper into them, there are dozens of forgettable mmo's that have come and gone but what are the top current MMO's?

Warcraft
Final Fantasy

Both had large fanatical fan bases ahead of time and plenty of pretty CGI cutscenes and enough random fantasy lore that multiple youtubers can make a living just making videos about it.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I think it's not primarily an ad for the games. Riot has expanded into general media for years, they have music, comics, many short stories set in their fictional world. In their dreams, they probably expand to an entertainment brand like Marvel or Nintendo.

Their output has been pretty consistently high quality, check out their music projects KDA and Pentakill, they're certainly well produced pop. And obviously arcane is fantastic. So there's some hope they can keep it up and expand further.

E: it's worth mentioning they already have a lot of experience managing a media empire with millions of fans, namely their LoL Esports branch.

pidan fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 24, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The “I made her a snack” scene having that quick cut to Cait’s face was straight out of Seven and I loved the hell out of it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

There's a bit of a darkly funny callback a friend pointed out to me in episode 9. Y'know how Silco's sitting at Vander's statue morosely reflecting on how Jayce "didn't even haggle" over their deal? The very first introduction we get to Jayce's character, in episode 1, is Ekko telling Claggor the exact same thing about him. ("He paid in gold and didn't even haggle!")

pidan posted:

I think it's not primarily an ad for the games. Riot has expanded into general media for years, they have music, comics, many short stories set in their fictional world. In their dreams, they probably expand to an entertainment brand like Marvel or Nintendo.

Arcane is very clearly their opening pitch for establishing themselves as a major multimedia brand, yeah. You might get more people playing League or Wild Rift as a side effect, but what they're really looking to do is come out swinging with something incredibly strong and memorable so that people'll be willing to tune in to whatever comes out after that. I'd be surprised as hell if it wasn't a loss leader, considering both the actual cost per episode and the staggering amount of money they probably spent on advertising.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The “I made her a snack” scene having that quick cut to Cait’s face was straight out of Seven and I loved the hell out of it.

I can't express enough how loving good that last like 15 minutes are. I've gone back to watch it like 100 times

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

pidan posted:

Their output has been pretty consistently high quality, check out their music projects KDA and Pentakill, they're certainly well produced pop. And obviously arcane is fantastic. So there's some hope they can keep it up and expand further.

E: it's worth mentioning they already have a lot of experience managing a media empire with millions of fans, namely their LoL Esports branch.

It's all advertisement and brand management, they've got infinite money so they spend it to make even more infinite money.

I'm pretty sure their E-sports is a loss leader form of advertisement too for that matter.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 24, 2021

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Of course they want to make money, the point is they want to make money with media, not just with their games. LoL itself probably won't stay profitable another 10 years, they'd be wise to diversify.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's all advertisement and brand management, they've got infinite money so they spend it to make even more infinite money.

I'm pretty sure their E-sports is a loss leader form of advertisement too for that matter.

It is yeah, they've never made a profit off of it and don't really worry about doing so, at least so they've said. It's all part of they're marketing and promotional stuff

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pidan posted:

Of course they want to make money, the point is they want to make money with media, not just with their games. LoL itself probably won't stay profitable another 10 years, they'd be wise to diversify.

Man I don't know about that. LoL is such a power house and it's still growing and making them more money than ever, add to the fact that Valorant is also doing super well for itself I think it would be foolish to think League is going to dry up. We haven't even hit it's peak growth yet apparently.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

On a lark, I was reading the one star reviews of the show and naturally they are a collection of delightful WTF, people angry about something in LoL and also the people who strongly believe Brie Larson should smile more who I won't talk about because they're also some flavor of phobic and gross.

One gave it a one star because it encouraged kids to smoke?

The most baffling are people saying it looks like a 'fan animated film' or just looks bad in general. Turn your monitors on, folks.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Macaluso posted:

I can't express enough how loving good that last like 15 minutes are. I've gone back to watch it like 100 times

Jinx marching up to meet the blood-red moon might be one of my favorite shots in the entire series. It's like something straight outta Hideaki Anno's mindscape.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vermain posted:

Jinx marching up to meet the blood-red moon might be one of my favorite shots in the entire series. It's like something straight outta Hideaki Anno's mindscape.

And while this is happening you are listening to Sting

still can't believe that one.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The transition of Vi's face from fear/confusion -> horrified realization -> absolute terror is just :discourse:.

Ella Purnell also deserves all the loving awards based purely on how hard she sells "Even though I'm...different."

1stGear fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 24, 2021

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Utterly amazing show, completely floored. Watching Masters of the Universe part 2 with my son and since I don’t play LOL at all did they basically copy Vi’s look for Teela? Maybe its generic enough but watching the shows back to back made me laugh at the similarity.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Koirhor posted:

Utterly amazing show, completely floored. Watching Masters of the Universe part 2 with my son and since I don’t play LOL at all did they basically copy Vi’s look for Teela? Maybe its generic enough but watching the shows back to back made me laugh at the similarity.

Part 1 of MotU came out in July and Teela had the same look there already. I don't think looked to Vi specifically for inspiration, but just took inspiration from the general concept of badass women that have been popular in the past couple of years.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMzi3-2Nct0

New dev diary on the music of Arcane. Don't expect much insight though its a fluff piece overall.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Koirhor posted:

An asymmetrical undercut with sideswept bangs is a common alt hairstyle for women, yeah. It's not something you see a ton of casually on the street, but even just searching around on Google gives you plenty of similar styles.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
one graphic designer I know was gushing that design firm We Are Collins laid down a lot of the aesthetic designs in the early stages, notably the typeface, but oddly no one mentions this outside of Collins’ website (and even there it’s hard to suss out what they actually did under all the flowery pretentiousness, you know what design firms are like)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vermain posted:

An asymmetrical undercut with sideswept bangs is a common alt hairstyle for women, yeah. It's not something you see a ton of casually on the street, but even just searching around on Google gives you plenty of similar styles.

Some very online people pitch a fit whenever they see it because it means the source material has 'gone political.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Arcane sure did a tap into something on fanart Twitter. Holy poo poo there is a lot of it. There is even a fair bit that isn't horny.

https://twitter.com/1005__H/status/1463502637953794050