Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Itd be pox parties where parents expose kids to it, it's a long tradition even. Adult exposure parties would be held every sunday at church as the new tradition shall be

Jimmy Dore would be getting into twitter fights over the old and time tested german method of using a modified rasp to scratch cowpox into his bicep. Rogan thinks it is something Shakespeare just made up and hes never seen any evidence of it because Spotify won't let anybody without the vaxx within 100 feet of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Somebody spot me an animal pic

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Somebody spot me an animal pic

i got u fam

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gio posted:

i got u fam

This is going to greatly complicate my Twitch viewing

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

So did that accidental discovery of smallpox in some refrigerator turn out to be uhh....anything?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

cr0y posted:

So did that accidental discovery of smallpox in some refrigerator turn out to be uhh....anything?

It was smallpox vaccine.

They had negligent labelling practices fifty years ago.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
The Americas already have a rich tradition of deliberately spreading smallpox for fun and profit.

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Gio posted:

I think you know the answer to that question.

Voluntary scarring and disfigurement

sigh.......yep

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

OK so I'm going to post about the Japanese situation because of this:

I'll preface this by saying I live in a large city in a fairly small apartment with my family but I'm a bougie so was able to work from home when case counts were high. My situation and perspective may be different than working-class people and probably other immigrants living in Japan. I volunteer with working poor and the homeless and have been doing it throughout the pandemic, which somewhat influences my views, particularly on the effectiveness of lockdowns.

Japan's current daily case average is about 150 and the daily death average is about 3. Applied to the US, that's about 500 cases and 10 deaths a day. Even throughout the pandemic there has been consistently less cases and deaths per capita than the US and most of Europe. There's actually been similar deaths per capita than Victoria which was locked down for 6 months. And this is in a country where a third of the population is over 60 and cities are fairly densely populated, so it's basically a perfect environment for COVID to spread. So intuitively, it would seem like Japan has had quite strong regulations and restrictions which were heavily enforced with a system to try and stamp out the virus. But this is far from the truth. Check out this nerd, Hitoshi Oshitani:

He's somewhat responsible for Japan's situation. Back in March last year he basically advised that due to the nature of the virus and how it can spread even in asymptomatic people you would never be able to completely eliminate COVID from Japan. Therefore the way forward is to live "with Corona". This does not translate to open 'er up, but it does mean acknowledging COVID is here to stay and to modify current lifestyles to prevent unmanageable spread (wait, that sounds familiar). The main lifestyle recommendation out of this policy was to avoid the 3Cs: closed spaces, crowded places and close contact settings. I think a lot of people laugh it off but I think it's a good bit of public health communication because it is very easy for people to understand, even children.

Basically, the strategy was to find and prevent clusters of cases caused by super-spreading, which was correctly identified as a feature of the virus early last year, particularly in places such as nursing homes where elderly people congregate. So living in a "with Corona" world, did things change excessively? Not really. For most of the time daycares and schools have been open, restaurants are still dine-in (although takeout became hugely popular), you can still travel or watch a baseball game with capacity restrictions. I'd say most of the changes were hardest on small businesses. And for most of last year it worked quite well. Japan's 2020 death rate was actually the lowest in ten years due to a massive drop in flu and pneumonia deaths. It seemed that there was a way to keep the virus somewhat under control. However winter, people getting lazy and then Delta hosed a lot of it up which is why you see the waves get larger. Fortunately the death rate in the latest wave was much lower than the others due to vaccines. Personally I do not know anyone who has had COVID but I imagine I will inevitably contract it through my kids or wife who works in a hospital. The person most at risk in my bubble is my 80+ year-old mother-in-law with one lung, so I was pretty relieved once she got vaccinated.

Things I think were done right:

- acknowledging the virus was airborne early on. It still boggles my mind that it took US and European governments so long to understand this and take measures against it.
- encouraging ventilation. In my opinion this is one of the most overlooked factors for virus mitigation. Trains have been outfitted with ventilation systems and bus windows are always open even during winter. Every face to face meeting I've had has been in a large room with doors and windows open. People scoff at "oh just open a window" but I think low-cost things like this actually make a huge difference for reducing transmission, particularly on public transport.

Things I think have been done wrong:

- a dumb free mask campaign that cost millions of dollars but was essentially pointless, probably as a kickback to some LDP guy. Here's Shinzo Abe wearing one of these stupid things:

- meaningless vaccine trials that slowed the initial rollout, although this has been balanced by the fact that current vaccination levels are quite good (lol USA)

- hospital capacity issues caused by weird regulations about who could accept COVID patients
- not letting in students and people with resident visas even if they could do quarantine.
- fuckall financial support for the poor
- lots have places still have those stupid plastic dividers that do absolutely nothing
- Olympic sex beds oh wait no that was just something someone made up online and was uncritically eaten up by Westerners here getting their weird Japan fix

Things which have become part of the accepted wisdom of managing COVID but controversially weren't done in Japan:

- mass testing. Japan has a low test rate, usually tests are only done if you have symptoms. Since the strategy is not zero-COVID, testing asymptomatic people becomes less of a priority, although there are private testing stations if you need them for overseas travel or whatever. This means Japan's actual case count is probably quite a bit higher than reported.
- enforced lockdowns. This is actually legally impossible, all the government can do is call a state of emergency and let the individual prefectures craft new rules, but there is no way to police any sort of lockdown. Despite this, the rules seem to have been adhered to and somehow have managed to control waves so they go back down to a manageable lvel. In my opinion the SOEs work more as a signal, people don't go out as much when they're in place, we know this from mobility data.
- an encyclopedic knowledge of every mask and respirator in existence. Please don't get mad at me, I always scroll past mask chat, don't even know what a KN95 looks like and have never bothered with anything except a surgical mask which I can just buy at the drugstore every month. I think this is basically because mask uptake is so high, but I've never seen any recommendations on what masks to use except to make sure they're not one of the cloth ones.

So after reading all that garbage I wrote the big question you might want to know is how did the case rate crater in the last couple of months to the point that not only has the peak subsided, but it's at the same level as March last year? My feeling is that there are two main reasons and unfortunately they're both kind of boring - vaccines and the warm weather which stops people congregating indoors. Of course this means that there will be a winter spike starting in a couple of weeks because of the waning efficacy and the colder drier air. I agree that mass masking makes a difference, but it didn't do much for the August waves so although useful, I don't think it's a silver bullet. Do I buy into the cultural trope explanation of Japanese people being less selfish, more obedient to authority and feeling more pressure to do what's good for society? Not really, I think it's a bit racist and overlooks how science and experience with SARS guided a lot of the initial decisions. I tend to believe the trick is setting up public health measures which can conform to the way your existing society is structured. From what I've experienced during the first state of emergency I would not want working poor people I interface with to be stuck inside their tiny Japanese apartment for a month or more under an enforced lockdown, particularly those with kids and/or mental health issues.

Another thing that I feel differentiates Japan from the US is that because everyone is still living "with COVID", there's no proclamation that COVID has been beaten forever and we can go back to normal. Most people know there will be a sixth wave and hospitals know to prepare for it, similar to how we prepare for flu season, mask usage is still around 99% even with most of the country fully vaccinated. My supermarket explicitly has signs saying to mask up even if you've had the vaccine. Year-end parties, which used to be a big thing in the company calendar, are apparently still going to be severely reduced this year. I think it's more a matter of waiting for the wave to happen then dealing with it, knowing we now have vaccines and therapeutics that will hopefully prevent more mass death.

Whether any lessons from here can be applied to America, I'm not sure. I think what I mentioned about setting up public measures around your existing society is a clue to how hosed up the situation is. Inequalities in healthcare, state governors just not giving a poo poo, politicisation of issues as simple as mask wearing, these are things which were in effect before COVID and have just been amplified. Even something like vaccination rates, there is a large difference between states which means that the virus will always be able to rip through hotspots. I'm not familiar with what measures Biden and the Dems had available to them, but they needed to do something huge, anything else was just papering over the cracks.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Xombie posted:

Falling off of a roof kills 100 Americans every day.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
It really seems like "opening a window" is something that Americans will fight tooth and nail, like it's impossible.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Do not get Hobbies, Crafts, and Houses started on windows that open (or do not).

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
I mean, my workplace bought an air purifier thingie for literally every room in the complex back in August. The messaging to the public here has been to encourage ventilation to the extent of distributing HEPA filters and instructing people to tape them to the back of a box fan to rig an air filter. I forget but there was a magic number, maybe 5 (?) of times you wanted to circulate the entire airmass in a room per working day.

This is all coming from IHS and CDC but more directly from IHS since our COVID response coordinator is plugged in directly to IHS administration.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Holy poo poo, thank you so much for putting so much effort into this post and sharing with the thread. Let me know if you want an av cert or something, I'll see what I can do.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Thanks for this post.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

OK so I'm going to post about the Japanese situation because of this:

You missed the most interesting part in which it looks like the a circulating delta lineage in Japan drove itself into an evolutionary dead end and the restrictions on travel have limited fresh delta coming in from overseas.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2021/11/18/national/delta-variant-self-destruction-theory/

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Haha yeah I was going to mention that, but from what I understand the theory is not really taken seriously. Would be wild though.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Thanks for this awesome post. While I obviously agree that the specific cultural explanations you describe are a bit racist, I wonder if dismissing cultural factors altogether might be kind of hasty. You say that the public health measures are the reason vaccine uptake is high, mask usage is near-universal, and cases are so low, but I don't see how any of the measures you just described are accomplishing this on their own. Here in the US, at least in my area, we also don't have a proclamation that COVID is over (really the opposite,) public venues still insist you mask up even if you're vaccinated, and things like year-end parties are not happening at all at most workplaces. Yet my state, with a fraction of Japan's population, still has far more cases, and I'm pretty sure that's because we have a lot of people doing stupid poo poo in ways they wouldn't in Japan, for reasons that have nothing to do with the combined state and federal public health response, which – again, if we're discussing Massachusetts – is fairly similar to what you just described. We even have a similar vaccination rate, but we just also have more people doing dumb poo poo it seems, and American cultural flaws like our obsession with freedom over conformity yadda yadda do seem to be at issue. No one in this thread would dispute that the most dumbshit aspects of American culture are primarily to blame for our collective action response to COVID, why shouldn't cultural factors apply in Japan?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Haha yeah I was going to mention that, but from what I understand the theory is not really taken seriously. Would be wild though.

I think it's definitely not true as a one big thing that stopped the outbreak where the virus just self destructed. Like it didn't suddenly mutate to go away.

It is the case that the japan outbreak was very largely made up of one single variant. So there is a more realistic possibility of "I guess that variant kinda sucked", with scientists pointing to specific mutations the virus had that were probably worse for it's spread than the base virus (worse error correction).

So it's not like it came in, was wreaking havoc then suddenly mutated to go away. More like a variant came in, was good enough to spread around for a while, but it was some percent less good at spreading so then that variant generally largely farted out of existence after doing what it could, instead of slowburning forever or spreading to become a dominant variant.

(I think the 'worse error correction' being the mutation makes the story get muddled, since literally it's flaw is it's more likely to make bad copies in a nonfunctional way, but it's also a mutation in an evolutionary way, so the two things get conflated in retelling. since literally it spreads less well because an individual virus is more likely to 'mutate itself out of existence" with each replication by failing to copy correctly, but that's not why it went away, it just generally mutating out of existence, it's just being worse at replicating made the strain in general go away over time because it's just statistically a little worse)

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Thanks for this awesome post. While I obviously agree that the specific cultural explanations you describe are a bit racist, I wonder if dismissing cultural factors altogether might be kind of hasty. You say that the public health measures are the reason vaccine uptake is high, mask usage is near-universal, and cases are so low, but I don't see how any of the measures you just described are accomplishing this on their own. Here in the US, at least in my area, we also don't have a proclamation that COVID is over (really the opposite,) public venues still insist you mask up even if you're vaccinated, and things like year-end parties are not happening at all at most workplaces. Yet my state, with a fraction of Japan's population, still has far more cases, and I'm pretty sure that's because we have a lot of people doing stupid poo poo in ways they wouldn't in Japan, for reasons that have nothing to do with the combined state and federal public health response, which – again, if we're discussing Massachusetts – is fairly similar to what you just described. We even have a similar vaccination rate, but we just also have more people doing dumb poo poo it seems, and American cultural flaws like our obsession with freedom over conformity yadda yadda do seem to be at issue. No one in this thread would dispute that the most dumbshit aspects of American culture are primarily to blame for our collective action response to COVID, why shouldn't cultural factors apply in Japan?

I've gone back and forth on this (the culture question) for a while. Lately I'm wondering if the cultural differences on average aren't significant, but at the margins they are very different, and the differences at the margins have an outside influence.

This might sound less abstract with an example. I've spent most of the pandemic in Hong Kong but have also seen multiple parts of the US, including the Deep South, and Europe at various times during the pandemic. I also work closely with people in Brazil, East Africa, South Asia, and Australia, so I've got some second-hand sense of what behavior is like there. For the typical, average, and modal person, I have not seen huge differences in behavior. (Yes, I know this is all anecdotal with no citations and just my wild rear end pseudo-scientific conjectures. I'm not submitting this to JAMA.)

I've seen the vast majority of people in all these places largely acting the same, being responsible but lazy with a little bit of ignorance thrown in. They wear flimsy masks that are half on. They maintain distances but then crowd impatiently in queues. Public spaces are noticeably less crowded, but over time behavioral 'cow paths' have emerged as well. People let their kids play in small groups in taped off playgrounds, etc.

But then, in the Deep South, at the height of Covid deaths in America, I see a truck stop that's having an arm wrestling competition, and the parking lot is full and the crowd overflowing. On a US domestic flight (which admittedly was sold out when every non-US domestic flight I've been on was about 5% capacity), there was a bachelorette party wearing matching costumes that were mocking Covid.

I remember early on there were superspreader events where it seemed like one person was infecting hundreds of people in a night. One of the outbreaks here in HK comes to mind, as did an early outbreak in Korea. I don't know how that kind of event has withstood subsequent studies, but I imagine that having just one person in a hundred who can spread like that will more than offset the other ninety nine being moderately responsible in a way that would keep things under control otherwise. Going to a grocery full of people who have the same mediocre-but-good-enough practices will suffice, even accounting for the fact that people can be asymptomatic and unwittingly spread it. But toss in one rear end in a top hat who's knowingly and recklessly diffusing Covid like an Abomination in Warcraft 3, and the grocery is hosed.

So from a distance it can seem like the same behaviors on average are getting widely different outcomes. But a minority of people with extreme behaviors can greatly changes the outcomes for those average behaviors.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

In summary, cultural factors are at play in every country, differences in marginal behavior included?

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

In summary, cultural factors are at play in every country, differences in marginal behavior included?

Well, that's the kind of simplistic model I'm trying to get past. The cultural comparisons too often come across as all Americans being a single culture of reckless assholes and all Asians being a single culture of drones (and most places just being ignored).

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Yeah you could well be right, I'm no anthropologist so I don't know how to define cultural aspects, but I think it helps to know what stupid poo poo people are doing and why. In the early stages of the pandemic there were stories of kids coming back from overseas and going to drinking parties a week later, also some guy who was diagnosed with COVID and literally went to a bar and told everyone before he died. But I guess the fact that these stories made the news kind of proves it's an outlier behavior (maybe this is a cultural thing?), whereas triggering the libs seems to be more run-of-the-mill in the US.

There's also other culture-related factors like being able to take time off work, receiving affordable healthcare, etc. which I guess is where America lags behind a lot of the world. The COVID deaths also skew younger than other places which tells me either a lot of people have comorbidities or the quality of care and resources just aren't available.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Smeef posted:

Well, that's the kind of simplistic model I'm trying to get past. The cultural comparisons too often come across as all Americans being a single culture of reckless assholes and all Asians being a single culture of drones (and most places just being ignored).

Having been around most of the 50 states it is wholly accurate to say that *white* america is a single culture of reckless assholes. I haven't been to Asia so I can't comment on the rest.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Bel Shazar posted:

Having been around most of the 50 states it is wholly accurate to say that *white* america is a single culture of reckless assholes. I haven't been to Asia so I can't comment on the rest.

Such a weird, sweeping generalization. The Pacific Northwest is white as hell and they've not done the exact same things w/r/t Covid as the Deep South. Come on.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

How are u posted:

Such a weird, sweeping generalization. The Pacific Northwest is white as hell and they've not done the exact same things w/r/t Covid as the Deep South. Come on.

Yes, the reckless assholes in the pacific northwest speak reckless rear end in a top hat with a different accent than those in the south or the midwest or hawaii or whatever. It's still a unifying trait for most white people in america. Like, am also, can confirm.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

How are u posted:

Well that's not exactly true, because even in Washington State you essentially have the I5 corridor and then a vast sea of red. And there's red county sheriffs outspoken about not enforcing mask or vaccine mandates, lots of pushback and businesses ignoring mandates and operating with impunity, etc.

It seems more like a major metro center/suburb and rural divide than anything else.

White culture in America is of course a steaming pile of hot garbage even in places not doing terrible with covid though.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

My mom finally got the shot a couple of weeks ago but it took her brother in law almost dying to do it.

She's not necessarily anti vax, just the kind of comfortable white lady who the real world doesn't touch. Getting the vaccine I think confirms for her that there is a world outside her bubble she needs to worry about. She feels the same about voting.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Bel Shazar posted:

Yes, the reckless assholes in the pacific northwest speak reckless rear end in a top hat with a different accent than those in the south or the midwest or hawaii or whatever. It's still a unifying trait for most white people in america. Like, am also, can confirm.

If "I am a white American and I think we're all reckless assholes!" is the evidence you're laying out then, well, I am mostly white and I disagree.

The claim "*white* america is a single culture of reckless assholes" does not comport with the regional variances in cases, deaths, ppe mandates, and vaccine mandates that we've seen throughout this pandemic so far.

e:

Professor Beetus posted:

It seems more like a major metro center/suburb and rural divide than anything else.

This definitely has more to go on than the sweeping generalization, but I think culture and *political leadership* probably plays more of a role. I don't get the impression there's such a big urban/rural divide in places like Florida or Mississippi.

e2: I got my booster last night and I'm feeling a bit sore in the arm and a little achy and off, but so far it isn't bad.

How are u fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 24, 2021

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
IIRC if you look at demographic breakdowns of vaccination rates, masking, etc, Asian-Americans are consistently doing better in covid prevention than any other racial group. I can see this in public too - there's a stark difference in masking rates between an asian grocery store and say, Ralph's. For whatever reason Asian-Americans never got on the anti-mask train, probably a lot of it because of connections to family back in Asia where masking was already a norm due to SARS etc. My relatives in China actually sent us a whole bunch of surgical masks in the first few months of the pandemic.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Tarezax posted:

IIRC if you look at demographic breakdowns of vaccination rates, masking, etc, Asian-Americans are consistently doing better in covid prevention than any other racial group. I can see this in public too - there's a stark difference in masking rates between an asian grocery store and say, Ralph's. For whatever reason Asian-Americans never got on the anti-mask train, probably a lot of it because of connections to family back in Asia where masking was already a norm due to SARS etc. My relatives in China actually sent us a whole bunch of surgical masks in the first few months of the pandemic.

Cultural differences play a role, political differences play a role. I live in one of the handful of states that still has an indoor mask mandate, and when I got to a grocery store like Ralphs it's still probably about 99/100 people wearing their masks. White and Hispanic.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I will say, anecdotally, and living in a pretty diverse community, that the only obvious anti-mask behavior I have seen in my area is rear end in a top hat white people.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
White people have one of the lowest rates of any demographic in the us, trying to phrase covid as some sort of issue of racial character isn’t a good look. Its not that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

White people have one of the lowest rates of any demographic in the us, trying to phrase covid as some sort of issue of racial character isn’t a good look. Its not that.

Yeah we live in a white supremacist society so most health outcomes are tilted in favor of white people. Performative anti-mask protesting/non-compliance has been driven mostly by white people afaict.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I'd say here anecdotally the vast majority of loud performative anti-mask/protests/whatnot is white people, but to be honest in terms of poor mask compliance/dicknosing/that sort of thing it's pretty evenly spread from what I've seen.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Professor Beetus posted:

I will say, anecdotally, and living in a pretty diverse community, that the only obvious anti-mask behavior I have seen in my area is rear end in a top hat white people.

I live in a *deeply* red state, and masking rates are pretty abysmal across the board, regardless of color. Black and Asian folks seem slightly more likely to be wearing a mask, but not by much.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I'd say here anecdotally the vast majority of loud performative anti-mask/protests/whatnot is white people, but to be honest in terms of poor mask compliance/dicknosing/that sort of thing it's pretty evenly spread from what I've seen.

Yeah, this.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Yeah I will 100% back that there is joyous ethnic harmony in favor of dicknosing

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I remember in the early days in the UK mask compliance was basically 100% among PoC while only around 70ish percent for white people[1]. I thought at the time it was a combination of quite loud publicity about the fact that PoC were dying more, and more quickly, than others[2] and an awareness that police were *definitely* using the Coronavirus Act to gently caress with people[3] and of course like with everything else that definitely had a racial multiplier.

Now, through those same extremely rigorous and scientific methods, I have to say compliance seems much more age-based, with younger people much less likely to be wearing masks, although there's definitely also a class thing in there too because people in suits are way less likely to be properly masked than others.

[1] Based purely on only the most carefully-sourced anecdata gathered by walking round dozens of shops trying to find bog roll and flour
[2] Even accounting for the usual poorer healthcare outcomes for PoC and higher chance of living in conditions likely to cause transmission there's *still* an x-factor causing higher transmission and death rates in particularly people of South Asian descent in the UK, and investigations into that are still ongoing - IIRC the whole "Type O blood means you're immune" bullshit came out of that original observational data.
[3] RIP Sarah Everard, kidnapped and murdered by a serving police officer who used the Coronavirus Act as his reason to handcuff her and get her in his car.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Close to 100% of Native Americans in my area wear masks and almost none of the white people do.

This is not a racial/ethnic thing so much as the reservations all have had mask mandates since March 2020 and people there are used to masking up. While off-reservation there have been absolutely no restrictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
seems fun!

https://twitter.com/janemerrick23/status/1463493119257763845?s=20