Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I don't have a familiarity with the board, but Google shows there are no blink codes or anything to suggest an error you can decode

Did the firmware file change names on the ad card? If it's firmware_cur that means the flash was successful, so that could be your next step

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

skulls from the skull machine for the skull god

17 more hours! :v:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ooooohhhhhh... what is it?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Randalor posted:

Ooooohhhhhh... what is it?

the last piece of this guy

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
New progress on my Longer LK1 Saga:
Decided to just compile Marlin 2 for it, went pretty well, but the touchscreen controls are inverted (Up is Down, Enter is Exit...)
There are three touchscreen options in the Configuration.h, but all of them are wrong.
Was able to trigger calibration through console though, so that worked. Excited to finally be able to use this thing like it's an actual thing with features.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Is there a good raspberry pi 4 kit to set up octoprint on?

I was gonna get this unless something better existed:

https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-4GB-Starter-Kit/dp/B07V5JTMV9

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Deviant posted:

Is there a good raspberry pi 4 kit to set up octoprint on?

I was gonna get this unless something better existed:

https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-4GB-Starter-Kit/dp/B07V5JTMV9

Save yourself ~50 bucks and get a 3B+ kit. The 4 is kind of overkill if all you're running is Octoprint.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Acid Reflux posted:

Save yourself ~50 bucks and get a 3B+ kit. The 4 is kind of overkill if all you're running is Octoprint.

the 3B+s seem to only have 1gb of ram available, which isn't enough for Octoprint? I thought I read they recommend at least 2gb.

The kit I linked also has the advantage of being in-stock and available for shipping over most of the 3B Kits, but i could see going either way.

Additionally, is it possible to use docker to run multiple octoprint instances so i can control my mini and my mk3s (and maybe eventually my XL?)

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 24, 2021

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Deviant posted:

Additionally, is it possible to use docker to run multiple octoprint instances so i can control my mini and my mk3s (and maybe eventually my XL?)

In my experience, it's possible, but for my headaches it was simpler to just set up multiple Pis with only one instance of Octoprint on each (and just name each Pi something different on the network) and eliminate the random hiccups that happen if an instance suddenly takes up more RAM than the others when compiling a timelapse after a print finishes.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

biracial bear for uncut posted:

In my experience, it's possible, but for my headaches it was simpler to just set up multiple Pis with only one instance of Octoprint on each (and just name each Pi something different on the network) and eliminate the random hiccups that happen if an instance suddenly takes up more RAM than the others when compiling a timelapse after a print finishes.

Wouldn't it just be easier to get a 4gb or an 8gb model instead of buying twice?

Only have to work out the issue of multiple cameras if I go that way.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Deviant posted:

the 3B+s seem to only have 1gb of ram available, which isn't enough for Octoprint? I thought I read they recommend at least 2gb.

The kit I linked also has the advantage of being in-stock and available for shipping over most of the 3B Kits, but i could see going either way.

I've had good luck with Canakit sets. One of their kits I bought had a bad power supply and they shipped me another one after I contacted their support. It was replaced with two day shipping directly from Canakit. The RPi 3B and 3B+ only came with 1GB of RAM as far as I know. I'm using three of them for my three printers. I think I have two 3Bs and one 3B+ but I don't remember.

I believe the main issue with Octoprint and raspberry pis is that if you're using a single core Pi then it may get bogged down a bit. This was mostly an issue for the Pi Zero W since it was a single core but the wifi stack took up a lot of CPU time. Foosel posted in this thread (woops the old thread) about it back in the day. I ran it without issue on a Raspberry Pi 1 for over a year without issue, but it is noticeably faster on a 3B.

I wouldn't hesitate to get a Pi 4 since that's what's available now, even if it is overkill. Not sure about using Docker for multiple instances but it might work. I just try to keep my setup simple where each printer has its own Pi for it and I stick a label on each one with its static IP.

Tom Sanladerer did a video recently about using Octoprint on old android phones so that's another option, but I think if you're buying something for it then a Pi is a good choice since it's the standard thing everyone uses and it can be used for other projects if you feel like changing it up later. It also seems like Octopi gets updated and there's no telling if the android version will continue to be worked on in 1, 2, 5 years. Since they're useful for a bunch of projects, I have some old Pis hanging out on my network as file dumps for when I want to share stuff between my machines and networks without logging into my NAS. I also plan to eventually setup a bird feeder camera that can take pictures of the birds which I think a goon did as a project a little while ago.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Deviant posted:

Wouldn't it just be easier to get a 4gb or an 8gb model instead of buying twice?

Only have to work out the issue of multiple cameras if I go that way.

I did this way back when Pi 2s were the latest version, tbf.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Right then. I in theory need $num_printers * (raspi setup + c270 camera), then. Anything else?

I guess this sorta nixes the mk3s power panic recovery, doesn't it? I have a UPS in that room, so I think it won't be an issue, but I need to check

Edit: I am discovering that I already should have (but haven't) turn off power panic because apparently the UPS sine wave power triggers it anyway.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 24, 2021

mewse
May 2, 2006

Deviant posted:

Right then. I in theory need $num_printers * (raspi setup + c270 camera), then. Anything else?

I guess this sorta nixes the mk3s power panic recovery, doesn't it? I have a UPS in that room, so I think it won't be an issue, but I need to check

Edit: I am discovering that I already should have (but haven't) turn off power panic because apparently the UPS sine wave power triggers it anyway.

If you're just reading anecdotes about power panic I think you should just get your setup going and then try pulling the power cord from the wall and see what happens. I wouldn't trust random guy on the internet for their opinion on how the feature is going to function.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Also I wouldn't disable any feature on the printer itself, but rather look at why the UPS is triggering it.

If the UPS doesn't have active power conditioning in it (most likely reason I can think of) then it isn't the kind of UPS you want for a 3d printer.

Also a UPS is designed to be there just to give you time to finish something and then shut down normally, not for something to run on until the power comes back on (which may not happen for several hours anyway depending on where you live).

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

yeah this UPS just covers the occasional blink because lol florida power grid and lol thunderstorms, i don't usually have long outages.

my understanding without testing because the printer is busy, is that most if not all UPS sine waves will trigger power panic because it's not a true 50hz signal but a simulated sine wave.

i'll screw with it later, but i've got a 1500VA UPS under the desk with AVR and Power Conditioning, so maybe it'll be fine.

I do know for a fact that you have to disable power panic with octoprint, though.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I upgraded my printers from 3B+s to 4s just because the Octoprint startup time is like 10% as long, it's great.

Also consider Raspi Cameras instead of c270s

my power supply does well with my town's lovely electric grid blips
had tooooooo many prints die while running all 4 printers and it was worth it to shell out for an expensive UPS

e: oh, cameras out of stock everywhere
global supply chain issues, man

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Deviant posted:

I do know for a fact that you have to disable power panic with octoprint, though.

Biggest argument against using Octoprint, if true.

I haven't bothered with Octoprint in years because in all honesty I'm not printing *that* much stuff any more and I'm content to let my printers go into idle states while waiting for me to come along and change build plates and start the next thing or whatever (and I haven't had a failed print in a very long time, but now I'm jinxing it).

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I just like using Octoprint because I'm too dumb to figure out how to set up a webcam without it to check the print job without having to go to the workshop.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Randalor posted:

I just like using Octoprint because I'm too dumb to figure out how to set up a webcam without it to check the print job without having to go to the workshop.

Just set up your basic Ring webcam?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

But then the cops will watch your 3d printer!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I wanted to upgrade my nozzle cam and it just caused me lots of trouble. Silly me.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Rexxed posted:

But then the cops will watch your 3d printer!

Good, I hope they like the show.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Just set up your basic Ring webcam?

Didn't you see the part where I said I'm dumb?

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Deviant posted:

I still have one machine hooked up to a 2B, because it's always worked fine and the slight lag in the UI compared to my 3B+'s isn't even remotely worth spending money on to "fix". People have been running Octoprint for years longer than the Pi 4 has existed.

mewse
May 2, 2006

The core functionality of octoprint is sending text over a serial connection so...

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I was going to provide an alternate list of hardware to a canakit so you could just get a 2GB board if you want three of them. I didn't realize that the chip shortage had hit RPi production so badly and they're out of stock pretty much everywhere except for the bundle sellers. It makes using $50 android prepaid phone with an OTG cable a real consideration for the meantime.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

:hmmyes: 💀

skull work continues.

GotDonuts
Apr 28, 2008

Karbohydrate Kitteh
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4964571
Would this satsana be a good choice for me as I have a bl touch?

Also digging the skull, may have to print a few more myself after I push out the dick dragons I already have sold.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

These are my icons for prusaslicer. Anyone know where/how to enable paint on supports (if that's even possible on SLA stuff)?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You can't do paint-on supports for SLA prints with PrusaSlicer (yet). Instead you click the last button there, use "auto-generate points" to create a basic support structure of the desired density, then select "manual editing" and add/remove points as needed. Left click adds a new point, right-click removes an existing one. Shift-left-drag will let you drag a box and select a whole bunch of points at once.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Took 6 days to print, but my Prusa finished my little Alchemist Hut and the final print looks way better than I expected.

Couple of really newbie questions though:

1. The heated bed stayed heated for all 6 days of printing. Is that necessary? Is there a way to shut it off after the first few layers?

2. I'm guessing if I try to print something similar now that I'll run out of filament before it can finish. Does the Prusa detect this and stop printing, and can I just feed in new filament and get it going again?

3. Totally unrelated, but does anyone know of a generic holder-type system to act as a third hand that is worth printing? There's a bunch of designs on thingiverse but it's not obvious which is or isn't garbage.

GotDonuts
Apr 28, 2008

Karbohydrate Kitteh
That hut is awesome. I would imagine after the first inch of printing it wouldnt need heat but I dont know poo poo or how to shut it off mid print. I am not the one to ask.

EDIT I cannot wait to print my johnny 5 after I finish up the work that is paid.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015

Deviant posted:

skull work continues.

Is this from something or someone's OC?

InternetJunky posted:

Took 6 days to print, but my Prusa finished my little Alchemist Hut and the final print looks way better than I expected.

Couple of really newbie questions though:

2. I'm guessing if I try to print something similar now that I'll run out of filament before it can finish. Does the Prusa detect this and stop printing, and can I just feed in new filament and get it going again?

drat, everyone's prusa prints are making me real jealous :(

I had to do this the other day. The MK3S+ has a filament runout sensor. When the filament is gone it will detect it and pause the print and then back out the last 2-3 inches of the filament. It will sit there forever until you take out the old piece and then put in a new roll, cut the tip, and push it into the extruder. Then it'll resume where it left off.

I was careful not to move any of the axes when it was paused. I don't know if it could detect that but I didn't want to test it out.

Also it will extrude about 10mm of filament really fast and then go back above the print. You should be prepared to wick that away real fast with a paper towel if you don't want a loop sticking off your print.

One last thing is this will leave a line in your print where the filament ran out. It's not super noticeable but it maybe annoying. On my print there was also a really small area with a missing layer where it left off and then restarted.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No, the bed has to remain hot the entire time. The adhesion between the two plastics only works properly at the correct temperature, and if the part's base cools too much it's more likely to contract and warp.

If the spool runs out during a print, the filament sensor will detect it. The print will pause, the extruder will move to the top corner and cool down, but the bed will stay warm waiting for you to change the filament out. When you load new filament it will pick up where it left off. Just make sure that the sensor is actually enabled (it should be by default) in the printer's settings page.

No idea for number three, sorry

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Deviant posted:

skull work continues.

That looks pretty rough. Is that with a 0.8mm nozzle or something?

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Thanks all for the answers!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Cory Parsnipson posted:

Is this from something or someone's OC?

Phantom Ganon's mask from TLOZ: Twilight Princess

ImplicitAssembler posted:

That looks pretty rough. Is that with a 0.8mm nozzle or something?

Nah, that pic just sucks bc it's a still from a video.

alternate answer: 1v1 me idiot, your benchy vs mine

SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE

i would go so far to say it is my finest work to date

i have come many miles from "hey, you want this i3 clone? it caught fire once, but i think you can fix it."

Deviant fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Nov 25, 2021

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo, dat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Late to raspberry pi chat but the PiZero 2 is a very viable option, cheap, and actually in stock places

Runs octoprint and klipper just fine. Hmthe only quirks I encounter are the cabera cable is like 1-2 mm narrower then the usual cable. (clearly marked as a zero cable, not the normal cable). And the need to convert from micro USB to mini USB for direct printer connection

They are so nice I bought two more (4 total) for projects around the house. The only issue I have at the moment is that PiZero cases seem to be slightly too small (at least the STL I printed) so I probably need to suck it up and make /measure my own